Presentation on Low Level Maneuvering

HuggyU2

I'm looking for speaker(s) that you know of that give presentations on the threats, errors, and how to minimize risk in low level maneuvering.  I recall many years ago getting a mandatory briefing from the Physiology folks at Randolph, and I remember it being well done, though very brief.  I figure that the way the CAF has brought down the low-level CFIT rate over the past decade means that there are folks at D-M, Luke, and elsewhere that give a good presentation on the subject, and know it pretty well  

If you know of anyone that fits the bill, please send me their info... put them in touch with me... p.m. me for more... whatever works.  Thanks.  

We've got a briefing that we give to the B-course students, but it's tailored to the B-1 specifically.  There's a lot of stuff in there about terrain clearance tasks vs critical tasks vs non-critical tasks, as well as the "time to die" charts for various dive recoveries.

In the Hawg community we had a low altitude step down training program that eventually got you to operating at 100 feet.  Academics included items like task management priorities and visual cues.  Biggest things I remember was the "Time to Die" charts, i.e. if you are at X feet with Y bank rate less than Z G's, your sink rate will kill you in 6.9 seconds.  The other was "If you are turning and not heads up looking where you are going, you will die via ground impact."   After the academics, we did several flights using those techniques to get the qual. So, the information is out there already in briefing form..somewhere.

• Upvote 1

Strike Eagles have the same kinds of briefings that Pawnman and Tree10

Mentioned. If a current instructor would be helpful to you, I can get you in touch with one, just let me know.

The herk community has similar briefs and good luck explanations in the 3-3 about this. How to use the bud to know if you are going to clear a ridge and the bank vs ground impact charts are very import when flying the bigger planes. 

2 hours ago, stract said:

I assume you don't need the helicopter pilot's take on low level...

Haha!!  You mean like: "Think we can make it through those trees?"

Thanks to all.  Sounds like I'll try to get a copy of one of these briefs that y'all have referenced, and build a briefing based off of it.  If any of you have an unclass copy you are willing to send, please pm me.  

Toro:  If I end up needing someone with more relevant experience than me, I'll reach out to you.  Appreciate the offer.