F-16 Crash At Tyndall

F-15E WSO

As far as I know, it's the traditional ending to the song "Dear Mom, your son is dead". Full line is "Him, him, F**k him/ how did he go/ straight in/ what was he doing/ 169/ indicated?/ Yeah" I'll defer to the fighter boys that probably know more than I do about this one though.

Yep

:beer:

Edited by SurelySerious
  • Upvote 1

Retired aviators that return as GS provide an incredible cost savings to the government, amazing continuity during military turnover, and incredible learning experiences for those military flyers (not only medical, but they meet the same flying standards as well)... I would suggest we could actually expand their role in many state side flying billets and be much better off because of it. I have no doubt that Matt was an accomplished aviator and his role as GS did not impact this tragedy.

Him him.

Well said. Throw a nickel on the grass...

• 9 months later...

Update on the Tyndall crash

http://www.newsherald.com/article/20150909/NEWS/150909246

"An F-16 pilot killed when he crashed into the Gulf of Mexico during training did not go through the proper training to begin flying the jets again after a nearly 20-year hiatus, the Air Force says."

They're saying that because he didn't go through the fuge again, he shouldn't have ever received a qual in the airplane.

Of the nearly 102 hours LaCourse had spent flying an F-16 in his career, 82 of those came before 1994. He spent less than nine hours flying the F-16 during seven different flights in the 90 days prior to the crash, the report says.

This can't be right, can it?  He must have had more (much more) than 82 hours from his initial qual on the F-16? 

Doesn't sound crazy at all - he probably flew F-4s, F-15s, etc. mostly beforehand through the 80s/early 90s, did a TX to the Viper for a bit and left AD.  Comes back as a GS to fly the F-4 drones for X years, and then did a SOC at Luke as the 82nd transitions to purely F-16 drones.