FY 15 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

whats your question? If you're wondering if tmo will move you where you want, then the 8 year mark is where i believe it changes from home of selection/record. Your separation orders will be marked which one they will do. If you want to move somewhere other than home of record, then you shell out the difference it costs the gov'ment. If you want info on TAMP, do a search.

HOS vs HOR is dependent on how you departed the military. In my case, my ADSC expired and I decided to get out (no VSP, no other force shaping measure). Since this was the case, I only got HOR for my HHG. Had I force shaped or retired, I would have gotten HOS. I served 12 years, 5 months, 28 days for reference.

Guest ThatGuy

I had a SNCO and someone from the FSS tell me the AF received anywhere from 10-25K VSP and TERA applications. Anyone able to confirm these numbers?

I had a SNCO and someone from the FSS tell me the AF received anywhere from 10-25K VSP and TERA applications. Anyone able to confirm these numbers?

I can't confirm but it's completely believable. I mean, when you do the math, that's a +/- of 12,495 apps.

-9-

• Upvote 1

I can't confirm but it's completely believable. I mean, when you do the math, that's a +/- of 12,495 apps.

-9-

Or 7500, whatever. I believe you too. Totally charismatic. Math aside.

Bendy

Edit: reading again, maybe I make fun of me?

Edited by Bender

Or 7500, whatever. I believe you too. Totally charismatic. Math aside.

Bendy

Edit: reading again, maybe I make fun of me?

You didn't pick up on my subtle sarcasm. To clarify, if you were to write "ten point zero to twenty-five thousand" numerically, would it look like 10-25K?

-9-

Edited by Nineline
  • Upvote 1

I read all the Q&A shit on Myers/AFPC and to me it sounded like this is basically year 1 of a 5-year plan to meet end-strength. We've been over our congressionally-allocated numbers as an Air Force for a long time and it isn't until recently that they're actually giving a damn. Before, I guess "support our troops or you're a commy" worked, but now they're realizing all they've done is kicked the can down the road, and they finally have to do something about it. Well, now that the country hardly realizes we're still at war, it's easy to start cutting from us...but, for those of us that want out, it may mean more chances to come...

Again, that's just how I read/took the info...with obviously a little of my spin on it.

Not really the right thread but I am calling BS.

Right off the VA website is the following "The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them at VA. To find out more, visit the DoDs website or apply now."

In black and white, DOD determines whether you can x-fer benefits not the VA. If your friend was really told this then he needs to re-attack. There has never been a 10-year rule on transferring benefits.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I thought this was BS too, so I went to the VA transfer benefits page. Doesn't look good, and I'm hoping I'm wrong considering I'll have 9.5 years in. Does anyone have any definite info on the VA transfer for those less than 10 and VSP approved?

From http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_transfer.asp

"Children

• May start to use the benefit only after the individual making the transfer has completed at least 10 years of service in the armed forces"

I stand corrected on the 10 year piece. First time I have seen that. That aside, if the AF/DOD waive a requirement via PSDM and an FM program then I think you will be ok. I would suggest talking to the separations and education folks at your base before separation. Have the PSDM in hand that talks specifically to the 9/11 GI bill part. Have them make a call to the VA and see if they can't get it figured out. Figure out exactly what you need so you don't have this problem in the future.

I have not seen the PSDM but does it talk about 9/11 GI bill benefits or does it specifically address transfer of benefits? They are not the same thing. If it does then I think you have a solid case. If your friend is already out, I would suggest calling back to his base, the TFSC and if neither work then a letter to his congressman with all the documentation above. This usually gets the bureaucracy in motion unlike a phone call to a small part of it. Additionally, since you are talking about one part of government setting guidelines and another implementing those guidelines it gets messy and you need someone that can work across both organizations to get a solid answer.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

For those approved...anyone know if it will be possible to extend 3-4 four months? I'm trying to stick around through the spring but currently have a 31 Dec DOS.

I was approved and am asking the same questions. I'll post if I hear anything about extensions, as my boss wants to keep me around for a little while longer.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They screwed up my paperwork and so I will probably not receive mine until the end of January. But I told them that is great because I would rather have it on my 2015 taxes. I am not sure if this is correct, but I was told by finance that as long as it posts after Jan 10th it should not be on 2014 W2.