B-1 crash

stract

If only there was some type of notice published on a central FAA website or ATC agency you could contact to figure out if a MOA is hot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

There are people who just don't care. I've had to knock it off and orbit in my MOA several times because some dood in his 172 decided to transit the MOA VFR, despite being advised by Columbus approach that the MOA was in use and there were aircraft currently using the airspace. Not a single fuck was given by the 172 guy.

I frequent the vansairforce.net forums semi-frequently, indulging my RV builder/pilot fantasy, and the topic of flying in/around/through MOAs comes up occasionally. While it's mostly a very nice crowd there, there is a small but vocal group who strongly believe that if it's not a Restricted area, it's their right to fly through, and you guys will just have to accommodate them.

• Upvote 1

There are people who just don't care. I've had to knock it off and orbit in my MOA several times because some dood in his 172 decided to transit the MOA VFR, despite being advised by Columbus approach that the MOA was in use and there were aircraft currently using the airspace. Not a single ###### was given by the 172 guy.

Nor should he care. He's VFR. Totally legal. If I'm Joe Cessna tooling from point A to point B at 95KIAS paying $150 per hour to take my fat wife and annoying kid for a cheeseburger at random FBO, you bet I'm going direct. Should that route go through a MOA, oh well... The mil guys will have to wait to finish their BFM, TP Stall, or Clover Leaf.

Been there also. Is it annoying? Yep. Stupid? Sort of. That said, I would just thank the tax payers for the free turn in holding, be happy that ATC let me know that someone was trying to kill me, and hope that I'm not SAC when Dr. (JD or MD) Piper flies through a cloud then turns into a smoking hole in a neighborhood.

(DISCLAIMER) I don't have a fat wife. My kids are actually pretty well behaved too. I'm much too cheap to rent a 172.

Nor should he care. He's VFR. Totally legal. If I'm Joe Cessna tooling from point A to point B at 95KIAS paying $150 per hour to take my fat wife and annoying kid for a cheeseburger at random FBO, you bet I'm going direct. Should that route go through a MOA, oh well... The mil guys will have to wait to finish their BFM, TP Stall, or Clover Leaf.

Been there also. Is it annoying? Yep. Stupid? Sort of. That said, I would just thank the tax payers for the free turn in holding, be happy that ATC let me know that someone was trying to kill me, and hope that I'm not SAC when Dr. (JD or MD) Piper flies through a cloud then turns into a smoking hole in a neighborhood.

(DISCLAIMER) I don't have a fat wife. My kids are actually pretty well behaved too. I'm much too cheap to rent a 172.

Not saying he was doing anything illegal, I was just saying that ignorance of active airspace is not the reason vfr traffic can be a conflict.

I fly on the civilian side and have worked airspace in the past to include Powder River. There is a huge disconnect in what A3 tells these guys and what your local flers think. From the HQ perspective, there is no impact created by expanding MOAs because VFR pilots can still fly in the MOA and the AF freely uses this fact during the push to expand or create MOAs. Public comments are discounted and then your local squadron is left with the mess. Contrary to base encroachment issues, many of these ranchers have been flying their Cessna180 to check cattle for far longer than the MOA has existed. They aren't going to stop working just because the government ignored their public comments and created new SUA.

Dude, totally disagree. As a broke-ass college student I avoided MOAs, and there are a lot where I flew. Did it cost me an extra $69 bucks? Yes, it did. But I also thought flying through a MOA with Vipers, A-10s, and KC-135s was a bad idea. Plus, flying outside the border of the MOA provided for some pretty good airshows without having those guys calling KIO.

• 4 months later...

Early Bird today says the AIB report is out. Now that I am a non-flying pogue, I don't have direct access but the part quoted in the story sounds like a normal TF letdown until a 7000 lbs puddle of JP-8 exploded and it got dark and quiet in the cockpit (when all the blower motors shut off, it gets surprisingly quiet.)

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20131231/NEWS/312310012/Mechanical-malfunction-caused-fuel-leak-downed-B-1B