Ft. Bragg Soldier kills fellow soldier and injures self

sky_king

Might want to fix your thread title.

The shooter opened fire during the briefing, killing one soldier, and then turned the gun on himself. He was wounded and taken into custody

Do Army soldiers commonly carry weapons/ammunition in garrison?

Nope. That's probably why he had to shoot himself before being hauled away. No CCW is the intent of DoD policy.

Which only makes everyone sitting ducks in Federal facilities, as those intent on breaking the law don't give a rat's shit about "DoD policy."

And, by the way, the Federal law (USC 18, Sec 930) only disallows firearms in facilities, not on base. Usually that's the commander's policy, but the US Code only doesn't allow personally-owned firearms in buildings...

• Upvote 1

In Quantico we had "Guardian Angels" walking around and in all of the TBS buildings on the Camp Barret side. Later they expanded this policy to include the buildings on the main side of the base. The idea was that you had a couple of Marine NCOs patrolling around with loaded M4s IOT facilitate an immediate armed response to a lone or small team shooter situation. IE- a Marine is there to kill the mother######er who decides that he's going to shoot someone. We also still have armed Marines guard the gates- no rent-a-cop for us. Pyschologically it gives a much meaner and more serious force protection image than you may get elsewhere.

Talking with the NCOs who stood the duty they didn't mind it all. It was pretty much a 9-5 duty- they were protecting the Marines, not the buildings- so if no one was around they didn't have to be there. And what Corporal or Sergeant isn't going to like being told," Hey Marine, instead of being in the office today you're going to walk around with an M-4 and kill anyone who tries to hurt the Marines today."

Interestingly enough while I was doing my time at The Basic School we had some people try to cut the fence and get into the base. The "Guardian Angels" were who stopped them.

Which only makes everyone sitting ducks in Federal facilities, as those intent on breaking the law don't give a rat's shit about "DoD policy."

And, by the way, the Federal law (USC 18, Sec 930) only disallows firearms in facilities, not on base. Usually that's the commander's policy, but the US Code only doesn't allow personally-owned firearms in buildings...

This has always bugged me. And recently, the "rules" changed. It's no longer the Base CC purview, it's now AF policy. Part of that policy is that you have to register all firearms stored in your base house, and if your CC sees you feeling sad one day, he can call the Base Cops to go get your weapons.

Wish that policy would have been in effect before I decided to live on base. I suppose I could uproot my family in protest, but for the less than a year I have left here, it is not worth it, I just put all but one in an off base holding facility. (e.g., buddy's house)

Our Base CC actually was pretty cool with the weapons thing..(e.g., he really had no officail base policies above what the DoD regs said) Then, all gone. Ironically, I teach a Concealed Carry class in my garage...always interesting topics of conversation when we get to state and federal law!

There was a DoD instruction that strongly recommended not allowing CCW for anyone on base for quite some time. Which AF policy changed the CC's discretion? I never really found that one (granted, I only looked for an hour or two).

Edited by raimius

I guess I'm the retarded one here...what does this shooting have to do with PYB?

He is one small annoyance from losing it.