JTAC to receive Silver Star for 13 hour firefight

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/05/air-force-tacp-silver-star-afghanistan-battle-050512/

Fvcking amazing. Final score - 270 Taliban dead, 0 US/Coalition casualties.

My favorite lines from the article...

Pinned down and outnumbered by the large Taliban forces above, Delaney called in airstrikes from 14 airframes from all four services.

and

“I remember thinking to myself, ‘I’m going to kill every last one of these bastards who dare raise their hand against us.’”

It's easy to get cynical with the gayness that mother blue perpetuates everyday, but to think there are men like this on the ground who we have the privelage of supporting puts it in perspective.

'Merica.

• Upvote 1

Air assets used were F-16s, F-15Es, AC-130s, two Navy F/A-18s, AH-64 Apaches and OH-58 Kiowas, with the help of an MC-12 Liberty surveillance plane to coordinate the battle.

I don't count four services in that line up...

(According to AF Times):

“I remember thinking to myself, ‘I’m going to kill every last one of these bastards who dare raise their hand against us.’”

Bad. Ass.

Edited by Ram

I wonder if the Liberty on station did a barrel roll as a show of force.

Actually, the Bagram-based MC-12 crew did an impressive job on that event. Maybe the details will get released.

“They owned the high ground,” Delaney told Air Force Times last year. “They had fire superiority. They had hundreds of people. And we killed almost all of them and didn’t lose a single American in seven hours of battle. It was seven hours of full-blown, slugfest, back-and-forth, rounds-smacking-right-over-your-head battle.”

######ing awesome.

No kidding, yesterday my uncle responded to a post on his local newspaper's web site, saying, "I think the real heroes are the troops that are killed or wounded. Like the old adage, 'all gave some...some gave all'." So I responded to his dumb response, w/my response and a link to this story.

###### that. Growing up underneath a Willow Grove and Martin State low level route, CAS has always been cool to me. Plus, it's cool to the bros in the shit.

I'm not talking about the obvious stakeholders.

There were decades when no one in the USAF outside the A-10 community wanted to even get a whiff of CAS on them. That's what I'm talking about.

I'm not talking about the obvious stakeholders.

There were decades when no one in the USAF outside the A-10 community wanted to even get a whiff of CAS on them. That's what I'm talking about.

Got it. I remember the IPs in UPT trying to talk guys out of the A-10. We had a guy in my class devastated that he got a Hawg and not a Viper.

Just agreeing that it's cool.