Awards - Al Udied

poundcake

BQZip01 - Thanks for the response. Most of the missions I have to submit for these guys were flown in the theater. Flights ranging from trips to Bagram, Kuwait, Africa etc. I'm making a list of questions to send to the folks at AFCENT so I don't waste their time. Among these; Are most flights in the C-130 from Al Udied still in support of Operation Southern watch? Is Al Udied considered a combat zone as Bagram is?

Thanks for the help. I'm thumbing through the USAFCENT guide right now.

OTBH is considered Combat Support (7.5 points). If they depart OTBH for OAIX it would be considered Combat Time (15 points). You can go to the SARMS office and they will have a list of OEF/OIF/HOA ICAO's.

Shakey's got this one on the nose (for the most part), but you also have to consider the mission and the timeframe. If it was 2003 (FWIW, I just got a medal from 2005, so '03 ain't out of the question), they might have been making direct strikes on Iraq from there, I don't know, but for the most part, I'd guess they are combat support missions. When I was doin' the dirty 'Deid, it was considered an imminent danger/hostile fire zone (I know...everyone try to contain your laughter).

BQZip01 - Thanks for the response. Most of the missions I have to submit for these guys were flown in the theater. Flights ranging from trips to Bagram, Kuwait, Africa etc. I'm making a list of questions to send to the folks at AFCENT so I don't waste their time. Among these; Are most flights in the C-130 from Al Udied still in support of Operation Southern watch? Is Al Udied considered a combat zone as Bagram is?

Thanks for the help. I'm thumbing through the USAFCENT guide right now.

You may want to make sure there aren't any Desert Storm medals lurking in there while you're at it.

• Upvote 1

"Pawman" - thanks. I have a lot of work ahead to make sure these guys receive the recognition they deserve. My greatest concern are the younger enlisted guys who I know rely heavily on awards for points towards promotions etc. As an officer, I should take care of them first, I beleive that.

"Pawman" - thanks. I have a lot of work ahead to make sure these guys receive the recognition they deserve. My greatest concern are the younger enlisted guys who I know rely heavily on awards for points towards promotions etc. As an officer, I should take care of them first, I beleive that.

I smell a troll....or a 2Lt.

It's spelled Al Udeid.

• Upvote 1

You might want to look into the BSM criteria! Maybe some of them qualify!!!

I smell a troll....or a 2Lt.

I'm thinkin brand new co or nav. Been MR less than 4 months, sent out the door to deploy and doesn't even know what continent he's on yet.

poundcake - Am I close???

Edited by nunya

Oh cut the guy some slack. He's trying to make sure that people get proper air medals. I know they WERE flying CAP out of there at one point, so it's possible the guy found some old decorations that an Exec (one of 6 per year) misfiled and wants to make sure people get credit where credit is due.

Fire me a PM with specifics and I'll see what I can do to assist. The vultures are circling around here looking for an easy meal...

When I was doin' the dirty 'Deid, it was considered an imminent danger/hostile fire zone (I know...everyone try to contain your laughter).

Still is. Still laughable.

[DISCLAIMER: My actual 'Deid currency is about a year old, so I suppose it may have changed. But I doubt it.]

"BQZip01" - Old ag?

You're correct. We found some old awards that weren't procesed. Just trying to do the right thing. Thanks for the offer of help. I'll PM you with some questions later. Thanks again.

'92