AF Names Best Fighter Squadron

Bergman

Nice accomplishment! I do take a litle umbrage with using the term "Best Squadron" when only air defense units were included, as IMHO the best fighter squadron in the CAF today has got to be someone actually fighting. I've highlighted a few lines that I found interesting.

2/22/2012 - KADENA AIR BASE, Japan (AFNS) -- On Feb. 16, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz announced that Kadena's 67th Fighter Squadron earned the Raytheon Trophy for 2011.

The annual award, originally started by the Hughes Aircraft Company in 1953, is now sponsored by Raytheon Systems Corporation and is given to the top air superiority or air defense squadron in the Air Force.

"The 67th Fighter Squadron clearly displayed its superior ability to dominate the sky anywhere in the world," Schwartz said. "My congratulations to the men and women of the 67th Fighter Squadron."

The Raytheon Trophy is the most prestigious award that can be bestowed upon any fighter squadron, said Lt. Col. Robert Cioppa, the 67th Fighter Squadron commander.

"Based on our competition, I feel extremely fortunate and honored the 67th FS was selected above all the truly outstanding squadrons in the Combat Air Forces," Cioppa said.

In the past, he said, only fighter intercept units could compete for the trophy, but in 1970 the challenge was opened to any squadron performing air defense as their primary mission, including the Air National Guard as well as the active duty Air Force.

Units are graded on air defense and air superiority mission performance; operational mission performance; organizational readiness inspection results; training exercise participation; unit achievements and awards; individual achievements and awards; and unit incentive programs.

Cioppa said the praise for the award should be given to the Airmen from the squadron and aircraft maintenance unit.

"The credit for this award truly belongs with the men and women of the 67th FS and AMU," he said. "In my career, I have never seen any fighter squadron endure the operations tempo the 67th FS had in 2011. We answered the call on two short-notice, real-world deployments, deployed aircraft and personnel to three different continents and ten different countries while supporting multiple joint and international exercises. When (U.S. Central Command) called for air superiority, the 67th FS and AMU were in place and stood up operations within three weeks.

"In my opinion, the U.S. Air Force has never had a finer or more expeditionary fighter squadron than the 67th Fighter Squadron Fighting Cocks, he added. "I am pleased all their hard work, outstanding performance and sacrifices in 2011 didn't go unnoticed by our senior Air Force (leaders)."

As a power projection platform for the Pacific Air Forces, Cioppa said winning the trophy further proves the squadron's significance in today's Air Force, but also said it couldn't have been won without the Airmen's unwavering dedication to the mission.

"Winning the Raytheon Trophy recognizes the 18th Wing as PACAF's and the U.S. Air Force's most essential asset for airpower projection," he said. "This award recognizes the intense work, diligent efforts and professionalism of not only the 67th, but also the supporting organizations vital to accomplishing our mission. We could not have won this award without the extraordinary teamwork between operations, maintenance and support functions."

Schwartz said the competition this year was keen, with the 493rd Fighter Squadron, from Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England, and the 77th Fighter Squadron, from Shaw Air Force Base, S.C., also competing.

"Each nominated squadron demonstrated the best our Air Force has to offer, and I am proud of all of their accomplishments," he said.

Nah, don't think us tanker toads have one yet. Guess job satisfaction is its own reward.

The tanker bros in OEF were down low, and I mean low...during OEF, at least on a few missions where they saved me. I don't think anyone doubts the tanker guys are making a huge contribution to the current fight.

The bigger point is with the Air Force engaged in 21 years of non-stop combat ops you would think the squadron of the year would at least be part of the fight, no flying "exercises" and training rides.

• Upvote 1

The tanker bros in OEF were down low, and I mean low...during OEF, at least on a few missions where they saved me. I don't think anyone doubts the tanker guys are making a huge contribution to the current fight.

I didn't get your meaning at first...thought it was a subtle dig on the mighty Stratotanker. And I'm cool with that...anyone that knows me knows I love flippin' shit. Even if I'm "only" a tanker guy.

The bigger point is with the Air Force engaged in 21 years of non-stop combat ops you would think the squadron of the year would at least be part of the fight, no flying "exercises" and training rides.

Caught yourmeaning after a second read. Agree completely, thus my highlighting of the fact that they got the award for supporting exercises and were somehow lauded for "only" taking 3 weeks to deploy. Someone remind me...how long did it take to kick off OUP last spring?

Nowhere does it say that this award is the overall squadron of the year or CAF squadron of the year or fighter squadron of the year.

This award has been around for decades and is given out to the top air-to-air squadron by Raytheon. So I guess I'm missing how this should have gone to a unit "in the fight" if the award criteria were purely air defense related.

Nowhere does it say that this award is the overall squadron of the year or CAF squadron of the year or fighter squadron of the year.

This award has been around for decades and is given out to the top air-to-air squadron by Raytheon. So I guess I'm missing how this should have gone to a unit "in the fight" if the award criteria were purely air defense related.

You are correct, what I should have said is it is nonsensical to publicly celebrate an air to air squadron only when they have done nothing more than orbits for the past 9 years. The Eagle guys spend enough time slapping each others back (and butts at Kadena), so why divert attention from guys actually doing the mission. When the big furball happens over the straights I'll be sure to don my "Eagle Guys Rule T-shirt", until then not so much.

Edited by ClearedHot

So the company that makes air to air radars and AMRAAMs gives out an award to units that use air to air radars and AMRAAMs and it's somehow a slap in the face to everyone else?

Aren't there more interesting things to bitch about?

Back in the early 80's my squadron got the best OMS in USAFE award at EGUN every year I was station there, we were the only OMS (Organizational Mx SQ) in USAFE.

So the company that makes air to air radars and AMRAAMs gives out an award to units that use air to air radars and AMRAAMs and it's somehow a slap in the face to everyone else?

I was more irritated that the title of the story was, "AF names best fighter squadron" and the award itself was for air defense only. I should have posted this in the "Shitty public affairs" thread.

Probably. Find something and start a thread.

First AMRAAM kill wasn't from an Eagle, I love bringing that up.

You are correct, what I should have said is it is nonsensical to publicly celebrate an air to air squadron only when they have done nothing more than orbits for the past 9 years. The Eagle guys spend enough time slapping each others back (and butts at Kadena), so why divert attention from guys actually doing the mission. When the big furball happens over the straights I'll be sure to don my "Eagle Guys Rule T-shirt", until then not so much.

I did

The Eagle guys were there pre-night one for us in OIF. IThe quickest and easiest response any Eagle has to comments like this is...

"If the Hogs/Gunships/fill-in-the-blank were as feared and effective as the Eagle the Iraqis would've been burying their tanks, not their MiGs."

First AMRAAM kill wasn't from an Eagle, I love bringing that up.

They killed 'em up close in WW DS.

Pretty impressive when you look at the shot ranges vs what everyone talks about now.

And no, I'm not sweet on any Eagle guys...but it is nice to skate on a clean sheet of ice...

520.jpg

I could care less about the contract giving out an award to stroke their customer...making it front page news and a CSAF worthy item however does make it bitch-worthy.

but it is nice to skate on a clean sheet of ice...

Exactly. Couldn't be said any better...get the guys on the ice to score. Keep'em safe. That is the mission.

OL Patch

PS--It was such a political crock of s...award that most SQs I was in never even submitted packages. Agree with CH...why publicize when there are people doing the "real deal"...how bout highlight the Pedros every frickin day until they come home!

• Upvote 1

Amen brother...I would much rather see CSAF flying to Pedro base X every weekend with 69 cases of beer and chicken wings.

Great theory.

I can see it now...packages are due to the OG/CC by COB tomorrow on who will actually drink beer and eat chicken wings with the CSAF...nominees will have a minimum of blah blah blah....

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...