Dynamic Aviation Pilot Positions

thecloser2144

Does anyone have any experience with these positions? Just wondering what the pay, lifestyle, bases are? I understand I would probably be 60 days in the AOR flying, but i'm wondering if its worth it to even apply for a job to augment my "guard bumming." in case LTMPA dries up....Thanks.

I'm sure you've seen this already, but here it is for the rest:

http://www.dynamicaviation.com/index.php/careers/current-openings/pilots/pilot-for-beechcraft-king-air-90-id475920/

Pay is $580-630 per day for both King Air and Dash 8 guys. Job description says 60-on 60-off. By "International" they probably aren't referring to the Monaco-Mallorca run.

~$35k to fly a King Air out of OAKN or wherever for 60 days sounds like a great way to supplement your guard bumming.

I'd be interested to see how much different their mission is as compared to the MC-12. I'm hoping it's vastly different and not a complete waste of taxpayer money.

I'd be interested to see how much different their mission is as compared to the MC-12. I'm hoping it's vastly different and not a complete waste of taxpayer money.

Based on this job description from the linked page, "ISR Pilot for Beachcraft King Air 90/200" I don't imagine it's much different at all.

Edited by nsplayr

Yeah, I was kind of thinking it was similar to the MC-12 positions. I've got to do the math to see if its worth more to do it with dynamic or take a 60 day tour to somewhere like the Deid. At least i'd be a civilian so I wouldn't have to put up with all the active duty bs.

Make way more money working as a civilian to do the same exact job as the MC-12 in the same location, for less than half the time deployed, without the active duty bullshit? Seems like a no brainer.

You think that is "way more money"? If I am going to take a civilian job that is going to keep me deployed six months out of the year, that is NOT a lot of money.

You think that is "way more money"? If I am going to take a civilian job that is going to keep me deployed six months out of the year, that is NOT a lot of money.

Concur. Factor in buying your own health insurance, housing, etc.

An O-3 deployed for six months to the MC-12 is going to make between $7000-9000 a month, depending on BAH, flight pay, dependent status, etc. O-5s and O-6s are obviously going to make more. If you'd like to include health care, commissary benefits, whatever... fine. But the approx $17-18k a month that the Dynamic folks make? Not close. I can see the appeal for people who are guard bumming.

If anything, my point is that the US taxpayer is paying a ridiculous amount of money to have contractors do the exact same job as the MC-12s (supposedly). Another example of why we are absolutely fucked as a country.

I fly for another company doing manned ISR and I can you tell for a FACT, we SAVE the government money...period. Look past the monthly pay and to the support network that comes along with the US military supporting ONE airplane. We have 25% the manning, do the same job and do it in some instances, better. When the military comes over with an airplane, they bring hundreds of people..that they have to keep on the books for years. We can be gone in a month..no strings attached. Our training cost are less as well. Plus, most of the guys doing this work, did it in the military world. Much more experience in the contractor world.

As for pay, it is good. I make 20K a month. Not bad for a enlisted guy (aircrew) in the reserves flying as a pilot in theater. Some companies offering health care..I do not need it, my wife's insurance rocks. Housing cost?? What housing cost? No one thinks we pay for housing in theater right? We live like everyone else in theater, eat the same food, use the same facilities...ect. And we are directly supporting the war effort. Our customers seems to like what we do..and that is all that matters.

An O-3 deployed for six months to the MC-12 is going to make between $7000-9000 a month, depending on BAH, flight pay, dependent status, etc. O-5s and O-6s are obviously going to make more. If you'd like to include health care, commissary benefits, whatever... fine. But the approx $17-18k a month that the Dynamic folks make? Not close. I can see the appeal for people who are guard bumming. If anything, my point is that the US taxpayer is paying a ridiculous amount of money to have contractors do the exact same job as the MC-12s (supposedly). Another example of why we are absolutely ######ed as a country.

I fly for another company doing manned ISR and I can you tell for a FACT, we SAVE the government money...period. Look past the monthly pay and to the support network that comes along with the US military supporting ONE airplane. We have 25% the manning, do the same job and do it in some instances, better. When the military comes over with an airplane, they bring hundreds of people..that they have to keep on the books for years. We can be gone in a month..no strings attached. Our training cost are less as well. Plus, most of the guys doing this work, did it in the military world. Much more experience in the contractor world.

As for pay, it is good. I make 20K a month. Not bad for a enlisted guy (aircrew) in the reserves flying as a pilot in theater. Some companies offering health care..I do not need it, my wife's insurance rocks. Housing cost?? What housing cost? No one thinks we pay for housing in theater right? We live like everyone else in theater, eat the same food, use the same facilities...ect. And we are directly supporting the war effort. Our customers seems to like what we do..and that is all that matters.

You can also refuse a mission and or quit. Then what's the warfighter to do? (seen it)

We have NEVER refused a mission. The only time our airplanes are on the ground are for MX. I have seen one flight canceled for a pretty significant issue. We flew over 25000 combined hours last year. We have 24/7 coverage. Not much concern from our warfighters about who will be there. As for quitting, sure we get guys that quit, but plenty wanting to do this. We have never canceled a mission for lack of crew.

Turboprop time does help. I had 350 whopping hours in a ATR...but it seemed to help. In type is better. But, I know of others without TP time that have gotten on. One guy flew Hornets. Outside of TP time, what helps is a current TS/SCI clearance and time in theater.

By the way..a lot of different companies do this.

Avenge

Dynamic

L3

They are the big players. But there is a TON of contract operations over here. The Department of State is mostly contract. CIA as well.

Berry Aviation flies Dash-8...there pay is pretty damn good.

JSFirm.com has some good jobs posted. There are also companies who will hire you based solely on having a TS.

• 3 months later...

I know of three guys from my current employer that are working for Dynamic Aviation and another couple at DynCorp and L3 Communications respectively. Dynamic Aviation is lowest paying, lousiest of the companies that conduct ISR ops. Your milage may differ, but DynCorp or L3 seems to be a better place to go. Dynamic has some DC-9s parked at SHD, and supposedly they are going to be used for "gov't" work. Anyway, Dynamic Aviation isn't a place I'd go unless you are looking for temporary employment on the ISR side of the house, however the aerial application side isn't too bad if you don't mind living like a gypsy and typically they like these pilots to have their A&P to keep costs low...Had a few run-ins with their operation in BKW a few years back...operating off a closed runway, cutting me off in the pattern, making non-AIM recommended pattern entry/departures...A lot of them are well into their Geritol years and set in their ways...Wouldn't work there unless I was desperate....GOOD LUCK!

• 1 year later...