Anyone looked at the Boneyard on Google Maps lately?

ClearedHot

Guest FullOtto

Quite a nice view, great quality pics. I do see a lot of empty lots, would like to visit and see how they determine its finally time to scrap something.

Yep, that's a D-21. You can see the sign on the ground in front the one in your first link...just like the picture above...probably the same drone. The other two appear to be D-21s as well.

Edited by ThreeHoler

I was went through there back in 05/06 and recently retired F-14s were all over the place. Now there are like one or two. Apparently they have already scrapped the entire fleet at the boneyard. Pretty sad.

F-14s Scrapped

Edit: add link to the reason.

Edited by contraildash

Quite a few Wurtsmith BUFFs still sitting there. The resolution is amazing though, the MI ANG F-4s I watched growing up by KMTC are still sitting there with their kick ass paint job. As a kid I never thought I would see C-model Vipers in the Boneyard.

Sad to see all of those Buff's sliced up.

Or the E-model -135s.

Almost all the Hog wings and landing gear have be repurposed on current aircraft. You can't see it on Googlemaps, but as you drive around the Boneyard (I did last year) you see almost all hogs on wooden platforms because they don't have any landing gear. Boeing is suppose to make new wings to replace the "new" old wings. Hell of an aircraft.

*Edit to add that, on a separate note, it sucks seeing jets (i.e. actual tail numbers) that you've flown sitting out there rotting. Ohh well.

It really sucked taxiing an entire squadron of jets through the gate to the glue factory.

*Edit to add that, on a separate note, it sucks seeing jets (i.e. actual tail numbers) that you've flown sitting out there rotting. Ohh well.

You got that right. Makes me feel old. Damn.

2hpocoz.jpg