Combat Shower Enforcement in Iraq

Hacker

Thankfully we have guys like this young airman. Where the hell do we find people like this Sgt First Class? You're being mortared, and your first thought is trays and trash? Unbelievable.

It amazes and frankly disgusts me that the best the AF could do for this Airman was a commendation medal when MSgt's get bronze stars for enforcing uniform rules in a combat zone.

• Upvote 5

It amazes and frankly disgusts me that the best the AF could do for this Airman was a commendation medal when MSgt's get bronze stars for enforcing uniform rules in a combat zone.

We shouldn't be inflating action that legitimately deserves recognition, but isn't extraordinary, in order to rise to the level of combat medals that are being handed out like candy to people who have never seen actual combat and have never done anything to deserve a medal for combat service. We should be deflating the accomplishments that are undeserving of such recognition back to where they're intended to be.

Good on this kid, but he doesn't need a Bronze Star for doing what is (or should be) expected of him seeing as he's a member of the military.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

We shouldn't be inflating action that legitimately deserves recognition, but isn't extraordinary, in order to rise to the level of combat medals that are being handed out like candy to people who have never seen actual combat and have never done anything to deserve a medal for combat service. We should be deflating the accomplishments that are undeserving of such recognition back to where they're intended to be.

Good on this kid, but he doesn't need a Bronze Star for doing what is (or should be) expected of him seeing as he's a member of the military.

I agree he doesn't warrant the Bronze Star (especially based on what it took in previous wars to get it). But, I agree that if the standard for MSgts enforcing reflective belt policies at Al Udied is the standard for MSMs and Bronze stars, then we may be able to do better than just an AFCM for this guy. If he's with an Army unit, I'm surprised that they didn't give him an Army Commendation Medal as well. My unit sends guys out all the time with Army units, and it's very common for them to get both Army and AF/Joint medals. At least give the guy the "V" distinction to show he wasn't rewarded for enforcing combat showers at the 'died.

I'd argue that, especially as a SrA, he was acting above and beyond what was expected of him. He's an AF junior enlisted member who stepped up in a combat situation when he was fully expected to sit back, find a defensive position, and let the Army go do its thing. Instead he took the initiative, utilized his training, and put lead downrange.

As a deployed flight commander, there's nothing more painful then seeing deserving TSgts acting like SMSgts and having their MSMs downgraded by a deployed Chief solely based on their rank, yet seeing MSgts acting like SSgts and have their MSMs fly through the system unchecked. I was told he couldn't have the MSM, then told to rewrite the dec as it "sounded too good for just an AFCM". My boss went to bat for me, but the WG/CC sided with the WG/CCC over the OG/CC.

SPiF, read a little closer.

Airman Boggs was awarded the Air Force Commendation Medal with Valor March 22 for his selfless contribution in defending Forward Operating Base Gardez against insurgent forces Sept. 24, 2010. He was also awarded the Army Commendation Medal and Army Combat Action Badge for his actions.
Edited by CHS17

A commendation medal with valor is a very good thing, especially for a single day's actions (warranted too!)

A commendation medal with valor is a very good thing, especially for a single day's actions (warranted too!)

Point taken (sts). My opinion is that the importance of PCS medals has been diluted by them being used as PCS medals. The "V" does indeed set it apart. Although his actions may have been 'routine' in Vietnam or even possibly to a Marine, he really rose above expectations. Kudos to him for actually having a warrior spirit.

A SrA with a AFCOM with a 'V' device ain't something you see everyday, and it is well deserved. I'd buy Boggs a couple of beer, he's a motivated young troop and I wish there were a helluva lot more like him. I just hope all the queep doesn't grind him down over the years like it has many of us. Hell, I hope he's motivated enough to put some effort into trying to turn the tide, instead of rolling over and accepting it like so many have. You never know, he could be the one that that gets things turned around...

Cheers! M2

One can only hope that someone in the rank of O-6 or above leading the troops downrange has read this article and is using it as an example of what IS important to the mission and what ISN'T. An example of setting priorities in a combat zone and how to act, versus focusing on the queep and how NOT to act.

One can only hope that while this Senior Airman gets his rightfully deserved reward and recognition for his actions that day, the Sgt 1st Class in question has been pulled aside and counseled on his inappropriate mission focus. Better yet, he's pulled into a meeting with the rest of the Senior NCOs and is put down a peg or two in front of his peers, in the hopes that the lesson sinks home in ALL of them.

But then again, hope is not a course of action....

They're medals folks,... medals.

Other than promotion points for enlisted, do they really matter?

Their value is known only to the wearer, and can only be guessed by anyone else.

• Upvote 1