Jet Makes Blind Landing in New Orleans

ClearedHot

In all seriousness, sounds like an emergency handled pretty darned well given the situation.

A few things that bugged me were:

"they had to rely on backup instruments"...um, duh. That's why they are there. It's not like we don't practice doing that.

The translation that said "Safe souls onboard and fuel remaining" instead of "Say souls on board...". They also neglected to mention that this is standard radio comms in an emergency.

Then the choice to give them an approach to a closed runway? Either they didn't read the NOTAMs, the NOTAMs were wrong, or the controller forgot. In any case, lesson learned: CHECK THE NOTAMS!!!

No reason was given as to WHY they went off the runway.

I'm interested to hear the after-action report

No reason was given as to WHY they went off the runway.

The crew told passengers that they had lost all electronics and were flying on minimal backup systems, landing would occur overweight with minimal braking and minimal steering ability.

During landing the aircraft blew both right hand main gear tyres

Aviation Herald

I'm guessing they lost anti-skid also..

Aviation Herald

I'm guessing they lost anti-skid also..

That and landing relatively heavy (32K of gas. about 75% full), on a 7000' runway - tough to tell from the pic but it doesn't look like his thrust reversers deployed? All in all - good job by the crew to get it down in one piece.

ual_a320_new_orleans_110404_1.jpg

That and landing relatively heavy (32K of gas. about 75% full), on a 7000' runway - tough to tell from the pic but it doesn't look like his thrust reversers deployed? All in all - good job by the crew to get it down in one piece.

ual_a320_new_orleans_110404_1.jpg

During landing the aircraft blew both right hand main gear tyres, went left off the runway, stopped with all gear just off the paved surface north of the intersection with runway 10/28, and was evacuated via slides.

Why do people feel the need to say 'hand' after giving a direction?

"Blew both right nut(sts) main tires and he went off the left side of the runway." Makes just as much sense...

Edited by Standby

Could it have been a full electrical failure (caused by the short that gave the smoke in the cockpit), and so the aux hydraulic pumps weren't working? Flying off the RAT, so limited electrics and hydros? I can't see from the pic if the RAT was deployed.

Even if so why would the engine driven pumps stop working or providing pressure?

So was the request for the longest runway because they had to stop on brake accumulator pressure? Also regarding the TRs on the A320...do you have to close them below a certain speed to avoid comp stalls or something?

EDIT - ok so just read one of the links, yes the RAT was deployed. I guess as that stops spinning as you slow down...I'd guess that's why loss on rollout of steering and anti-skid?

Found this comment...

These pilots had to cut power to most of their computers and instruments to deal with the cockpit smoke. They would use an emergency generator called a ram air turbine (RAT) to power only 4 small essential electrical buses. This is an older A-320, which means that once they lowered the landing gear the RAT would stop working, so they would have only 5 minutes of battery power left at that point. Descending below the weather early is extremely prudent in this situation. On landing they would have no anti-skid, no reversers, only standby braking, no nose wheel steering, partial flaps, and only 2 of 5 ground spoilers
Edited by Clayton Bigsby

We landed a 737 shortly after the incident on Rwy 10. Their choice (I think made for them by the emergency) of 19 was much better due to winds which were in the neighborhood of 22G30 out of the south, give or take a little. I'm not an Airbus expert but they had no nose gear steering and had they landed on Rwy 10, I think they would have had far more difficulty staying on the runway.

TRANSCRIPT OF AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER, PILOT CONVERSATION

UA 497: Clear for takeoff runway 19, thank for you very much.

UA 497: We need to vector back to the airport, we got a smoke issue with the airplane.

N.O. Approach: Turn right 030 (degrees) and maintain 4,000 (feet.)

UA 497: 030 4,000. And we'd like the longest runway please.

N.O. Approach: There are men and equipment on the runway - they're going to try to get them off now. Descend at pilot's discretion. Maintain 2,000.

UA 497: We are declaring an emergency and please roll equipment for our landing please.

N.O. Approach: We are unable for (runway) 10, can you take (runway) 19?

UA 497: ..no..

N.O. Approach: Roger, we are clearing the runway now.

Airport operations: How much time do we have?

New Orleans Tower: I'd say they are about 11 miles to the west.

Airport operations: Tower, we can start trying to pull them off, but I don't think we will get them all off in time.

N.O. Approach: United 497, Say souls on board and fuel remaining.

UA 497: 106 souls on board, fuel remaining 32,400 pounds.

N.O. Approach: They are still trying to get all the vehicles off the runway and 19 is still available if you like....

New Orleans Tower: ... working as fast as they can (unintelligible) There is a bunch of equipment on there they're tying to get off now.

UA 497: You need to clear it for us.

New Orleans Tower: I understand, sir. We're getting them off as fast as we can.

N.O. Approach: Turn right heading 140, main 2,000 ....cleared ILS runway 10 approach.

New Orleans Tower: Can you verify the vehicles are exiting?

Airport operations: We are attempting to get the vehicles off right now, I'm removing the cones also.

New Orleans Tower: OK, cause I haven't seen any of the vehicles move and the aircraft is ten to the northwest and they have to have runway 100.

N.O. Approach: United 497, Turn right heading 180.

UA 497: um.... We only have one... um ... (Alarms sounding in background.)

N.O. Approach: United 497 say again sir?

New Orleans Tower: We need three minutes to get the runway clear.

UA 497: (alarms blaring) We've lost all our instruments right now and we're going to need (directions)

N.O. Approach: United turn left heading, 20 degrees left

N.O. Approach: Just continue left turn, I'll tell you when to stop.

UA 497: (unintelligible) What vector are we from the airport?

N.O. Approach: Right now sir you are on the 330 degree heading from the airport. Northwest of the airport for runway 19er. If you continue on this present heading you'll set up on the shoreline for 19.

UA 497: Shoreline for 19.

N.O. Approach: I can set u up there or I can vector you, what'd you need?

UA 497: That's fine.

N.O. Approach: (unintelligible...)You got the water, right?

UA 497: Yeah, we got the water and we're going to stop here about 600 feet.

N.O. Approach: Roger that. The airport's currently at your 1 o'clock and five miles.

UA 497: 1 o'clock and five miles roger.

New Orleans Tower to fire crews: Fox-6, next arrival runway 19er is our aircraft. And the aircraft is approximately 3 miles northwest runway 19er.

N.O. Approach: If you start your right turn now I can set you up on final.

UA 497: Start turn on final.

New Orleans Tower to fire crews: The aircraft is over the shoreline around two miles out. You do have permission to proceed on to the runway after he lands.

N.O. Approach: Make a right turn. The airport is off to yoru right side,

N.O. Approach: 497, clear to land 19er. You'll be able to make it sir? Winds 180 at 16, gusts to 20, Clear to land. Runway 19er.

New Orleans Tower to fire trucks: Fox-5, this is our aircraft touvh ing down bow.

New Orleans Tower: Follow the aircraft down the runway.

New Orleans Tower: We're going to need runway 10 operational. Runway 19er is fouled at this time.

Fox-5: The aircraft is off the runway.

I hate listening to reporters.

Sounds like yes, they lost their instruments, but they were VFR at 2000', no?

I especially loved the "PANIC IN THE SKIES" motif they have going. Maybe congress can look into airline safety once they get this budget thing wrapped up.

I hate listening to reporters.

Sounds like yes, they lost their instruments, but they were VFR at 2000', no?

I especially loved the "PANIC IN THE SKIES" motif they have going. Maybe congress can look into airline safety once they get this budget thing wrapped up.

I thought he said 600' over the shoreline.

Maybe congress can look into airline safety once they get this budget thing wrapped up.

That's doubtful. The whole lot of them are going to need to start working on their re-election bids now if they are going to have any chance.

That's doubtful. The whole lot of them are going to need to start working on their re-election bids now if they are going to have any chance.

My advice would be to vote against any incumbent. These budget problems and impasses are always caused by the Representative or Senator with 40 years in congress.

My advice would be to vote against any incumbent. These budget problems and impasses are always caused by the Representative or Senator with 40 years in congress.

SHACK.

Back on topic, nice job by these guys.

I hope I never have to fly an Airbus. The RAT stops working once the gear is down, leaving 5 minutes of battery power. WTF? Was that thing designed by my 5 year old?

I'll stick with Boeings.

SHACK.

Back on topic, nice job by these guys.

I hope I never have to fly an Airbus. The RAT stops working once the gear is down, leaving 5 minutes of battery power. WTF? Was that thing designed by my 5 year old?

I'll stick with Boeings.

Boeings that rip open in flight?