RIP 1st Lt Anthony Riggan

Guest Burrito

Terrible loss. Didn't know the guy, but it seems logical to say that he went beyond the capabilities of his Mooney...

Logical? Maybe. Uncool in this thread? Definitely. Want to discuss low-via landings? Recommend Terminating here and Starting a new thread.

Technique only.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Logical? Maybe. Uncool in this thread? Definitely. Want to discuss low-via landings? Recommend Terminating here and Starting a new thread.

Technique only.

You should see some of the comments on C-Springs news pages, they are f'n horrible.

Guest Hueypilot812

Yeah, there are some damn morons out there passing judgment about an incident and people they don't know anything about. One of my favs was the guy who said military pilots only know how to fly in a military environment and not in an ATC environment. Hate to tell them but sometimes that controller on the other end of the radio is wearing a uniform and working in a RAPCON, even for the civvy folks. And I don't know any Bone pilots who haven't ever talked to ATC. Anyways, godspeed to him and his wife. Terrible news.

:salut::beer: :beer: :beer:

What happens if we find out the engine flamed out on final? Bottomn line the B-1 community has suffered a horrible loss and a thread that is normally used as a way to remember the fallen is being used to monday morning quarterback the guy. Any speculation as to the causes can wait until the NTSB report is final the same way we reserve comments until the AIB is concluded.

Not saying that we can't learn from tragedy, but I would like to think that professional discretion would avoid pointless speculation when the event occured so close in time and to someone known so well to the baseops community.

RIP Anthony, prayers to you, your family and the 28th Bomb Wing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Technique only.

I agree completely, and some comments have been removed. This thread is to mourn a lost brother and his wife, keep it on topic or there will be hell to pay. If you have problems with that, feel free to discuss it with me via a PM.

• Upvote 2

Anthony was one of those guys people turned to when they needed really good advice. One of the Godliest men I've ever known. I don't think anyone's ever seen him frown. A true one of a kind guy... RIP Anthony and Nicole...

• 7 months later...

I know it's been a while. Anthony was a friend of a friend, and that friend knows I keep current on this site and asked me if I had any new words on this mishap. I didn't, but I figured I'd ask you guys if there was ever a causal determination for this?

Frequent lurker here but I'm very familiar with the type of plane he was flying. The Mooney M20E (and all vintage Mooneys for that matter) are subject to tailplane stalls under icing conditions with flap deployment. Two separate commercial pilots who went missed before him reported light icing, which may mean something different to a much faster commercial aircraft than it does to a light fixed-wing. Preliminary report also detail a near-vertical impact, which suggests icing over other possible factors such as a forced landing or spatial-disorientation.

The NTSB is much slower than USAF safety channels. Here is the preliminary report from the NTSB:

On December 22, 2010, at 1159 mountain standard time, a Mooney M20E airplane, N79869, impacted terrain following a missed approach to City of Colorado Springs Municipal Airport (COS), Colorado Springs, Colorado. The commercial pilot and one passenger were fatally injured. The personal flight was being conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 with an Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) flight plan. The cross-country flight originated at Rapid City Regional Airport (RAP), Rapid City, South Dakota, and the intended destination was COS. Instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) prevailed at the time of the accident.

The pilot checked in with COS approach control at 1138 and was given an ILS approach to Runway 17L. The pilot flew one approach and reported going missed approach at 1158:27 and disappeared from radar about 1159. The airplane wreckage was located about .1 mile south of the approach end of Runway 17L and about 400 feet east of the runway centerline.

The pilot reported “VFR on top” and entering clouds during the approach at glide slope intercept at 8,500 feet mean sea level (MSL) Weather at 1154 was reported 100 foot ceiling, .25 mile visibility with freezing fog, temperature 26.6 degrees F, and winds 160 degrees at 07 knots. During the approach runway visual range was reported to the pilot as varying between 800 feet and 1,200 feet. While the pilot was speaking to approach controllers during his approach two commercial aircraft departed COS and reported to approach controllers light icing.

The wreckage and initial impact were aligned on a 285 degree magnetic heading. All wreckage was contained within about 100 feet, with the main wreckage consisting of the engine, both wings, and the fuselage aft of the cockpit mostly collocated about 20 feet south and east of the initial impact point. The cockpit was mostly consumed by post crash fire. The fuselage and the empennage were upright with the right wing attached. The left wing was partially attached to the fuselage and inverted. The leading edge of both wings exhibited accordion type crushing consistent with a near vertical impact. The landing gear were in the retracted position. The engine was located next to the left side of the cockpit area. One propeller blade was partially embedded at the initial impact site and exhibited leading edge polishing. The remaining two blades were attached to the propeller hub.

Frequent lurker here but I'm very familiar with the type of plane he was flying. The Mooney M20E (and all vintage Mooneys for that matter) are subject to tailplane stalls under icing conditions with flap deployment. Two separate commercial pilots who went missed before him reported light icing, which may mean something different to a much faster commercial aircraft than it does to a light fixed-wing. Preliminary report also detail a near-vertical impact, which suggests icing over other possible factors such as a forced landing or spatial-disorientation

Coming up on 2 years this winter but I lost an old H.S. classmate with his 2 teenage daughters on an IFR approach under (at least apparently similar conditions). He was flying a Bonanza and he hit at steep angle. Based on where he was on the approach I would bet he was configuring the A/C for landing and I've wondered if he had iced up and the flaps coming down precipitated a loss of control. Anyone know if a (straight tail)Bonanza has the same issues as the Mooney?

Coming up on 2 years this winter but I lost an old H.S. classmate with his 2 teenage daughters on an IFR approach under (at least apparently similar conditions). He was flying a Bonanza and he hit at steep angle. Based on where he was on the approach I would bet he was configuring the A/C for landing and I've wondered if he had iced up and the flaps coming down precipitated a loss of control. Anyone know if a (straight tail)Bonanza has the same issues as the Mooney?

Can't say for sure, but in general, aircraft with conventional tails are most susceptible since the horizontal is in the wings wake. With increasing flap deployment the downwash on the stab is increased. With ice contamination, it is not uncommon for some level of ICTS to occur with full flaps (airflow separation due to the ice and increased AOA of the stab). A variety of FIKI aircraft have flap limitations after an icing encounter, including the SR22 for this very reason. If you can find a Bonanza POH look for a flap limitation after icing encounter.

Edited by flynhigh

• 4 months later...

NTSB Released the probable cause last month.

NTSB Identification: CEN11FA124

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Wednesday, December 22, 2010 in Colorado Springs, CO

Probable Cause Approval Date: 12/19/2011

Aircraft: MOONEY M20E, registration: N79869

Injuries: 2 Fatal.

During the initial phase of an instrument approach to the destination airport, the airplane was in visual meteorological conditions above clouds that contained reported icing conditions. Prior to and during the approach, the air traffic controller, who was vectoring the airplane, advised the pilot of two pilot reports of icing conditions encountered immediately after departure. The airplane entered the clouds at 8,500 feet and reported a missed approach several feet above the decision altitude; the pilot did not report any problems or declare an emergency. No further radio communications were recorded. The wreckage was located on the airport, about 440 feet south of the approach end of the runway. The ground scars and damage to the airplane were consistent with a low-airspeed and high-angle-of-attack impact. Instrument flight rules (IFR) conditions existed over the area with conditions favorable for icing below 8,500 feet. AIRMET advisories for IFR, mountain obscuration, turbulence, and icing conditions had been issued. At the time of the accident, visibility was reported as less than 1/4 mile in freezing fog, with a ceiling at 100 feet. The approach minimums were 200-foot ceilings and 1/2 mile visibility. The airplane was not equipped with anti-icing or deicing equipment and was not approved for flight in known icing conditions.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot's decision to initiate an approach into weather conditions where the ceiling and visibility were below the minimums for the approach and where reported icing existed, in an airplane not certified for flight in icing conditions, and his failure to maintain control of the airplane during the missed approach.