100 Missions Afghanistan patch

Murph

Saw a F-15E dude wearing a "100 Missions Afghanistan" patch (drawn up just like the Vietnam one) in the chow hall today. Maybe someone "in the know" can set me straight--is this a joke or is this dude really THAT proud of his 100 OEF missions--I didn't even know when I hit 100.

Granted, it's not the easiest place to fly (especially during the winter) but seems like this dude holds himself in the same light as F-105 guys flying to route pack V.

Maybe I'm missing something.

• Upvote 2

Yes, it's a joke. I was in the squadron that made it, and it was supposed to be a takeoff of the "100 missions" Thud patch.

Anyone who is taking it seriously as a token of pride has missed the point.

Guys in our squadron have a similar patch of "PRT 100 missions" (Powder River Training complex). It's just a jab at monotony, folks. Lighten up.

(BTW, it's owned by Ellsworth's B-1s, not the BUFFs...who would have called it something FAR cooler than "Powder River"...[/random insult at the Bones])

Guest Alarm Red

Saw a F-15E dude wearing a "100 Missions Afghanistan" patch (drawn up just like the Vietnam one) in the chow hall today. <words words words>

You're missing something. Worry more about what Murph does and less about what F-15E pilot does.

• Downvote 2

Guest CharlieDontSurf

You're missing something. Worry more about what Murph does and less about what F-15E pilot does.

I didn't even know when I flew my one millionth mission. True story guys.(sarcasm)

Some of my LR bros have the SKE-VIS-BALAD morale patches and that shit is hilarious. Represents the bitter humor that can only be understood by those that have flown it. In the end a patch is just a patch, when was the last time you took a weapons patch seriously?

Edited by CharlieDontSurf

Ya know, for as much noise as we make about valuing heritage and history, there always seems to be some serious soul crushing whenever some dude tries to display a little respect for it. I'm sure if you asked the dude with the patch, he would tell you he's not trying to compare himself to the Thud drivers of old, just trying to honor their heritage a bit. That's real heritage, not the made-up crap that leadership spews out every year. Lighten up, Francis.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Granted, it's not the easiest place to fly (especially during the winter) but seems like this dude holds himself in the same light as F-105 guys flying to route pack V.

I agree! If he was really taking himself seriously, then he'd compare himself to the Thud pilots flying Route Pack VI, which would definitely be crossing the line.

:aviator:

Edited by Bergman

Guest Crew Report

I was casual with a tanker squadron. I made up a AMC 0 patch for the lulz.

People forget the AMC hour patches are hours without a major mishap awarded by safety. In my last sq we cut off the last 0 on a 2,500 hour patch and gave it to the copilot who was on the Class A mishap at Manas years ago.

So it was a joke and not a throw back to heritage or anything else, sweet.

No, it was both. Massive respect to the Thud drivers who went north in the conflict of their day. At the same time, anyone with 100 missions of XCAS in Door Bravo South would get why it's a joke to have 100 missions in the conflict of our day.

Saw a F-15E dude wearing a "100 Missions Afghanistan" patch (drawn up just like the Vietnam one) in the chow hall today. Maybe someone "in the know" can set me straight--is this a joke or is this dude really THAT proud of his 100 OEF missions--I didn't even know when I hit 100.

No one is trying to assert that the missions flown in Vietnam are the same as OEF. It is mearly a tip of the ol' hat to heritage and a mark of a historic milestone for any fighter pilot. Sure, there are missions that I honestly feel embarrased to call combat sorties. But they are nonetheless. Just because there is little to no threat does not make my service any less significant. Now walking around with 5 air medals would be a little gay but I dont see the big deal with someone being proud of a "100 Combat Mission" patch.

You have to be pretty careful with this kind of thing as it can start innocently and then flail out of control down the road.

Personally, I cannot imagine wearing 100 mission OEF patch. Reminds me of the insane medal push in 03 immediately after major combat operations. I think I remember a mudhen guy getting SIX DFCs in OIF with some bullshit "Super MEZ" justificaction.

You have to be pretty careful with this kind of thing as it can start innocently and then flail out of control down the road.

Personally, I cannot imagine wearing 100 mission OEF patch. Reminds me of the insane medal push in 03 immediately after major combat operations. I think I remember a mudhen guy getting SIX DFCs in OIF with some bullshit "Super MEZ" justificaction.

I hear ya. It is what it is. I find it hard to believe that someone in the F-15E community has 6 DFC's. Hell, Robin Olds has 6 DFC's and he is a triple ace and flew in two wars. Maybe got submitted for 6 DFC's but I seriously doubt they ALL actually got approved. I couuld be wrong, but that hardly ever happens.

About medals... I too think they are way over inflated. There is no way a shoeclerk squadron commander who never leaves the base should get a Bronze Star, which by the way is the standard medal for being KIA. I challenge anyone to prove to me that sitting in a HUMMVEE turret and getting killed by a sniper is any where close to manning a desk at the Force Support Squadron. I will say however, that you also have to take the actions of our troops in the context of the current fight. By today's standards, everyone who landed at Normandy, Iwo Jima, Guadacanal etc deserves a Medal of Honor. Just because no one is charging a machine gun nest or getting shot down doesnt make anyones actions less heroic. Heroism is a state of mind and exists regardless of the situation.

• Upvote 1

Maybe got submitted for 6 DFC's but I seriously doubt they ALL actually got approved. I couuld be wrong, but that hardly ever happens.

It happened.

Guest Alarm Red

About medals... I too think they are way over inflated. There is no way a shoeclerk squadron commander who never leaves the base should get a Bronze Star, which by the way is the standard medal for being KIA. I challenge anyone to prove to me that sitting in a HUMMVEE turret and getting killed by a sniper is any where close to manning a desk at the Force Support Squadron.

Not this shit again... I could search and link to a better explanation but I'll just type it here. You can get awarded the BSM for service, achievement (I think), and valor. BSM(V) is for putting it all out there in combat, during a single event, but not to the Silver Star level (of which there is only valor). BSM for service is, per the reg, the same recognition as required for a Meritorious Service Medal except for duties performed in a combat area. So if a squadron commander, in any capacity while drawing hostile fire pay, would warrant a MSM for same duties back at homeplate, the correct decoration is the BSM.

By confusing the two you are disrespecting the valorous efforts of those who have been awarded a BSM(V). At the same time, if you are walking around thinking that every E7+ or O5+ with a BSM (and there are many) are shoeclerks with underserved decs, then you are also missing the point.

Consider yourself educated.

• Downvote 1

I was there, and the most I ever saw was for a single Lt Col who was awarded three.

it becomes a lot less funny when you watch a strike eagle crew try to employ when it counts and all you ever see is this...

2clowns2.jpg

And I've never, ever, ever, ever, EVER seen a Hog clown it up. Ever.

How's the view from that ivory tower?

• Upvote 3