Best base assignments?

spudsmac

I'm a Guardsman, have been one my entire career and I love it! But with that said, if you're single and enjoying life, go to the crazy locations...anywhere OCONUS or at locations where you know there will be one hell of a social life! Get it out of your system and then at some point hunker down, get married, get wall-to-wall and the white picket fence, have kids (like I just did recently), and enjoy that new chapter in your life!

Do you see where all the above posts have been hinting at??? :drinking::beer::rock::bohica::M16::thumbsup:

C-Springs would be cool in itself, but not so sure it's the best place if you're single.

The C-Springs/ Denver area is great if you're single. There are a quite a few colleges (besides the obvious one) and plenty of young & attractive women. Just make sure they're not the daughter of an 0-6.. :thumbsup:

but yeah, if you can go overseas, definately jump on that, sts.

Edited by dream big

If you want FL I'd recommend MacDill first cause it's right in Tampa with all the sun, beaches, and silicon you can handle, Patrick 2nd, then Hurlburt 3rd (over Eglin) if you want the panhandle. AFSOC > AFMC, enough said.

Like everyone else said though, overseas is the way to go if you can choose anywhere man.

Not to mention Tyndall just outside Panama City Beach, home of 8,247,869 hot drunk college chicks (and a few skanks) on spring break every year.

:beer:

Other than that, since Clark and all the hot spots in Thailand are closed and never to reopen, I say Korea and Osan over the Kun if you can work it.

As everyone has said, all bases have their good and their bad, but being a young kid from central New York, I have to admit that all those years ago, I never really found many bad sides of MacDill back in the 56th's days. What a party. Sometimes it's hard to believe that we even survived it.

And then they forced me to leave and go to Torrejon, just outside of Madrid. Who'd have thought that life could have even gotten better?!?

A lot of these dudes are spot on. FSO is one of those AFSCs you can take anywhere, and it really depends on what you are interested in. Each base has its pluses and minuses (except Canon, that place just blows). Figure out what kind of climate and population density you want, that should narrow your list, then what kind of outdoor activities you may be interested in (for example, if you like snow skiing, perhaps Patrick shouldn't be near the top of your list, but if you like the beach, Patrick should be #1). People tend to have strong opinions about their individual locations. I wouldn't take people's opinion as my first discriminator for where I'd pick. Once you have a short list, THEN talk to people who are there and figure out what the joint is like.

Not to mention Tyndall just outside Panama City Beach, home of 8,247,869 hot drunk college chicks (and a few skanks) on spring break every year.

:beer:

Other than that, since Clark and all the hot spots in Thailand are closed and never to reopen, I say Korea and Osan over the Kun if you can work it.

Once again, nothing compared to good ole Cannon! Home of 17 hot drunk (ENMU) college chicks (and 16 skanks) on spring break (somewhere else) every year.

Come on, Cannon ain't that bad. I like the smell of cow fece, flys on a biblical plague scale, rolling power outages (three days sometimes), E-coli in the water (oh yeah, we just did three days of that), winds 55 gust 70, nearest Target/Starbucks/anything 118 miles away (my wife LOVES that), inept former ACC support folks (mindnumbingly), a mayor who is the lead realtor, house prices X3 the normal market (one third the quality), no private schools and that one guy. The weather is nice, though.

You want to go to Germany or Italy. I have been to nearly all of the places mentioned above. You are single and want to go to Germany or Italy. Accept no substitute.

Guest Zerohour

Im going to be a LRO, comming out of texas tech, just went to cannon for the open house last weekend, i think we left as quick as we got there, and i thought Lubbock was bad.

I put germany england and japan on my top bases, but lets hope it works out.

Cannon may suck, but Santa Fe and ABQ are a good time and Lubbock isn't far away either. Not to mention, the AFSOC mission is legit and you'll be directly contributing to the fight. If you want to live on a beach, go work for IBM. Not saying you should be a martyr and volunteer for Cannon, but it's amazing how many people act like its their right to live in a good location, spouses especially. There are positive aspects of every location, but some people will find something to complain about anywhere they go.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

Gimme a break. No one acts like it's their "right" to live in a good location. But what's wrong with wanting to live in one?

Are you even married? Wives don't get to fly every day. They don't get to do things that "contribute directly to the fight." They're stuck trying to raise the kids and/or find a job in the local area. Pretty tough to find reasonable employment relative to education in some of these places. So they end up facing down the majority of the "suck" at places like Cannon while we go off and do the j-o-b. They at least get the right to complain about it.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

If you want to live on a beach, go work for IBM.

Wow dude, there are so many things wrong with your point of view. For starters, it is possible to live on a beach and work for AFSOC. Secondly, unlike when the fighters were there and it was merely one of many locations to PCS to, AFSOC only has two bases and the missions are split. It's very possible for someone to spend their whole career at Cannon and some poeple also have kids/schools/wives/jobs to worry about in addition to the mission. I appreciate your zeal for getting it done, but people stuck there have a right to gripe. It was a bad choice for AFSOC and directly contributes to a high level of suck many spouses and kids have to endure on top of their husband being gone half the year serving our nation. All so a corrupt town can get some government cheese.

• Upvote 1

Gimme a break. No one acts like it's their "right" to live in a good location. But what's wrong with wanting to live in one?

Are you even married? Wives don't get to fly every day. They don't get to do things that "contribute directly to the fight." They're stuck trying to raise the kids and/or find a job in the local area. Pretty tough to find reasonable employment relative to education in some of these places. So they end up facing down the majority of the "suck" at places like Cannon while we go off and do the j-o-b. They at least get the right to complain about it.

I sympathize with military spouses and know it must be incredibly difficult. The majority of wives I know are amazing women and have the ability to juggle full time jobs and school while still being there for their family. With that said, there are always the few (spouses and military) that feel the need to complain about every little thing, wherever they are. Just make the best of whatever your situation is. Good point though, the wives are forced to endure the majority of the suck while the husbands get to play, hats off to all of the spouses out there :beer:

Wow dude, there are so many things wrong with your point of view. For starters, it is possible to live on a beach and work for AFSOC. Secondly, unlike when the fighters were there and it was merely one of many locations to PCS to, AFSOC only has two bases and the missions are split. It's very possible for someone to spend their whole career at Cannon and some poeple also have kids/schools/wives/jobs to worry about in addition to the mission. I appreciate your zeal for getting it done, but people stuck there have a right to gripe. It was a bad choice for AFSOC and directly contributes to a high level of suck many spouses and kids have to endure on top of their husband being gone half the year serving our nation. All so a corrupt town can get some government cheese.

I was stationed at HRT and my old roomate, a gunship pilot, got sent to Cannon to fly preds. He hates it there but is making the best of it. Cannon was a horrible choice, plain and simple, and I hate to see families uprooted from the panhandle and moved over there. If I were stationed there, I would probably buy a V tail bonanza and keep a beater car at CVN and commute to work from Albuquerque. At least you would live in a real city and your family would be better taken care of when you're deployed. If that doesn't work, there's always Portales which is more tolerable than Clovis. Hopefully the AF realizes how many great people they are losing and gets rid of the base before it's too late. Until then, best of luck to those of you and your families that are living in Clovistan. FWIW, I've been to Clovis and would PCS to Cannon in a second, the people and culture of AFSOC make it worth while.

Ha ha "Government cheese". The problem is this place doesn't need to be so bad. There are other places that have the same geographic features and are thriving. The problem is the corruption and "Keep Cannon Shitty" crowd. Aside from here, though, New Mexico kicks ass. I just wish I didn't have to drive three hours to get back to America.