Dream Sheet Help

Guest Hyflyer

Well it's about that time... and I'm waivering on what order to rank the fighters. Now I'm set on the fact that I want to fly fighters, hands down, but with very little experience in the AF I'm having a tough time ranking them. My current sheet looks like this 1) A-10 2) F-15E 3) F-22 4) F-16 5) F-15C

For those with more wisdom than myself (which doesn't exclude many) can you tell me your thoughts on the A-10/F-15E world and the foreseeable future for Lt's in the airframe. Also, many of the guys around here say I'd be crazy not to put the F-22 first. And I'm honestly considering it. Insight into that world would be great, as well. Moral of the story is my dream sheet is up in the air and any good insight to help a stud out would be appreciated.

Info such as: Which plane will I log the most flight time, most fun to fly, best chance of more than one tour, community info, etc.

I know some of this is touched on in several earlier posts but most info is dated. Thanks.

Edited by Hyflyer

The best advice I can give you is to read each airframe's assignment page on AFPC Secure. That will give you an idea of what is going on with each airframe. I love the multi-role aspect of the Viper...especially the block 50. Wouldn't trade it for anything!

Edited by ViperDriver77

I 100% agree with the gambler. You'd be crazy not to do as much research on where each jet is going as far as assignments, deployments, etc. I would also add that you should rank your choices based on the mission you want to do. Don't simply list the raptor first because of what other people say. Only list it first if you want to do the A/A thing all the time. From your tentative list, it looks like you want an air to mud or multirole type jet. If thats true, put the -22 and -15C last.

Because SA is already low, I would put LGPOS at the top.

Well, it was supposed to be a subtle joke. 'Seriously?' in reference to the question in the original post, and then me questioning the choice of screen-name...awwww, nevermind...

It made sense in my Sunday football, slightly buzzed state of mind

Well, it was supposed to be a subtle joke. 'Seriously?' in reference to the question in the original post, and then me questioning the choice of screen-name...awwww, nevermind...

It made sense in my Sunday football, slightly buzzed state of mind

Gangload, check victor and I will speak slowly...HIS SA was low for the lazy attempt at a screenname, hence the recommendation for him to put the F-16.

Edited by ClearedHot

Which plane will I log the most flight time, most fun to fly, best chance of more than one tour, community info, etc.

They're all probably about the same, they're all fun to fly, your chances are probably about the same on average, avoid the Eagle unless you like dudes a WHOLE LOT. Then secondly, pray you actually get a fighter. Seriously, if you end up in a fighter, feel extremely lucky and I guarantee you'll love flying whatever you get. I'm very glad I got the Viper, but I'd be lying if I said I honestly thought flying any of the other fighters would suck.

Well it's about that time... and I'm waivering on what order to rank the fighters.

You sure about that?

Waver: To exhibit irresolution or indecision

Waiver: What you need - along with a signed letter from the POTUS and SECDEF - if you are 37 years old and trying to get a pilot slot.

Now I'm set on the fact that I want to fly fighters, hands down, but with very little experience in the AF I'm having a tough time ranking them. My current sheet looks like this 1) A-10 2) F-15E 3) F-22 4) F-16 5) F-15C

Don't choose a jet, choose a mission. Don't pick a jet because it looks or seems cool - pick it because it has a cool mission. The F-22 is a badass jet, but if you don't like the idea of doing only air-to-air for the rest of your life (I don't consider JDAM-only a true A/G mission), then this should be lower on your list. There's some good points brought up here to further that point.

For those with more wisdom than myself (which doesn't exclude many) can you tell me your thoughts on the A-10/F-15E world and the foreseeable future for Lt's in the airframe.

- Not much has changed in the past few years, I don't see much changing in the next few.

- last post was a week ago.

Also, many of the guys around here say I'd be crazy not to put the F-22 first. And I'm honestly considering it.

Do many guys around there get a hard on when they watch Top Gun? Do they think they F-22 is cool because they saw it at an airshow? Do they have any idea what ACT is? Again, pick the aircraft for the mission, not because everybody else thinks it would be cool.

Info such as: Which plane will I log the most flight time, most fun to fly, best chance of more than one tour, community info, etc. I know some of this is touched on in several earlier posts but most info is dated.

I've already given you the A-10 and F-15E links, which have been updated recently. The bottom line is that all of this is completely dependent on timing, location, and current operations in the Air Force. Here are answers to cover all airframes:

Logging the most time: Probably the Strike Eagle just because we can hold the most gas and have longer mission profiles for A/G than the 15s and 22s. But logging flight time doesn't matter for $hit.

Most fun to fly: They're fighters - if you're not having fun in any one of these, there's something wrong with you.

More than one tour: That doesn't have as much to do with the fighter as it does with you. Most of the Ops-to-Ops tours are reserved for the guys with potential for Weapon School. If you do a decent job, you probably have a good chance of going back to the FTU to instruct. Vipers have plenty of remotes to Korea.

Community info: Folks like to talk about how vastly different fighter types are (the C model guys are uptight, the A-10 guys are laid back, etc). We're really not that different and it's not accurate to portray the entire group of any community as anything other than generally a good bunch of dudes.

If you want anything else on specific airframes, here you go:

F-15C info

Agree with Toro, choose based on what you want to do.

Viper is going to be around a while but the numbers are shrinking. Possible JSF lead in if timing is good.

E Mod is going to stay at its current numbers for a long time. Great capes...WSO in back (plus or minus is all opinion)

A-10 is going to stay near its same number for a while, nice upgrades, not as high perf as the others. Point and shoot killing- sounds fun.

C model -- be afraid...this system is dying and without more F-22's to put the pilots into. Great jet but I know a lot of current C model guys who are plenty nervous.

F-22 - Its tough to pass up a 5th gen fighter and be part of the initial batch of people flying it. Plus's are that it is leading edge technology and capable of some shithot maneuvering. Minuses (these are direct from some -22 guys) are that it is high profile so its not a lot of fun being under the microscope from leadership/politicians all the time. Also, don't expect to use that super maneuverability a whole lot....its primarily a BVR fighter with AWACs like capes so many times the legacy dudes have more fun merging with HMS and 9x's (which the F-22 does not have). I've tlked with guys flying the F-22 who love it but after flying it for a while wouldn't mind returning to -16's and -15E's to do real A/G work. I had a C mod convert say he missed the challenge of the days before the jet did all his sorts and radar work for him.

I'm not a know-it-all on all those jets but do like Toro said and don't pick a jet based on airshow performance or what looks best. Also, don;t believe fighter pilot talk, they all think whatever they fly is the best....and chances are in some respect they are right that theirs is best at something....be wary when they say their jet is best at everything.

Dude pick the hog. You will get down to 500ft on your 8th ride in the jet, shoot the gun on the 13th ride and pretty much every sortie from that point on. You can also loiter high and drop jdams/lgbs for hours on end. The c model has amazing capes and will be around for a long time. We deal with the army, marines, special forces, and any grunt on the ground who needs our assistance.

Sure its slow and it sucks at bfm....but can you find any other negatives?

You realize after flying the Hog that it wasn't built to go fast, fly formation, go on cross country, shoot multiple inst approaches, or do all kinds of cool aerobatics. It was designed to fly low, carry a metric shit ton of weapons and kill any fucking thing on the ground....period dot. Thats what it does, and thats what we train for.

easy decision imo

My personal take on the Viper (and applicable to the Mudhen too...though I can't speak to what extent)...multi role is awesome. I have a shit ton of fun flying BFM, ACM, ACT. I also have a shit ton of fun dropping bombs and strafing. I honestly can't imagine not being able to do both. Like said before, you're going to have a ton of fun in a fighter, regardless of which one, but me personally, I'm glad I'm not limited to solely A/A or A/G.