Return to Active Duty

Guest Magicrat

Guest Magicrat

I heard a rumor the other day that the AF is looking at hiring prior active duty pilots back on to active duty. Apparently mother AF has paid too many dudes to get out and is now a ton of pilots short (1k).

Any other rumors out there? If so...what are your options (UAV, UAV, or UAV). I know they have done it in the past (2003)....even gave guys the bonus to come back in. Some of them got pretty sweet assignments.

Could get intresting. Anyone in the know?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this so surprising to anyone? The decisions made in 2004 were a previous administration maneuvering against the bandit that it saw then (ergo, trying to cut people in order to save money for airplanes).

The maneuver didn't work. That administration is gone. There is a new bandit we're maneuvering against.

I can give you one motivation...retirement at 20 years! If anyone got out with over ten years in, and is still relatively young, I could understand their considering coming back to finish off their 20. Over three grand a month for doing nothing is a nice thing to have in this dropping economy, mine has paid for a Jeep and a lot of guns!

By the way, this is one way to address the problem...at least the first half of it. I don't think the 10% tax out of UPT is the right solution.

Wanted, A Few Good Airmen: The Air Force announced Monday that it has begun its search for officer volunteers with no previous flying experience to enter the service's new training program for operating MQ-1 Predator and MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aerial vehicles. The first 10 officers selected will start training in January and a second batch of 10 will begin instruction next April. If the first two training classes of 10 prove to be successful, then the Air Force will start accepting larger classes, service officials have said. Gen. Norton Schwartz, Chief of Staff, announced the new UAV training program last month at AFA's Air & Space Conference in Washington, D.C. The service eyes it, along with the new practice of taking about 10 percent of its new UPT graduates and training them to operate Predators and Reapers, as a means to beef up its pool of UAV operators to 1,100 by Fiscal 2012 to meet the US military's insatiable demand for greater overhead UAV coverage to support combat and stability operations. (This Air Force release contains basic requirements, such as age and years of service limits.)

Training the guys to the be able to accomplish the mission and to the FAA's satisfaction without sending them to UPT is the way to go! From one of the linked articles...

The second, more radical concept entails creating a new career field for UAV operators by choosing active-duty officers from various technical and non-technical backgrounds to teach to teach them to fly the UAVs. These officers will get some introductory flight training at Pueblo, Colo, and then go straight into Predator training “to bring them up to fully qualified mission status,” said Brig. Gen. Darrell Jones, director of force management policy on the Air Staff. To see if this idea has long-term legs, there will be a two-part “beta test” program, he said. An initial class of 10 officers will start training in January until next fall. A second class of 10 will start next summer and finish before the end of 2009, Sherlock said. If those two test runs prove successful, the Air Force would then start accepting larger classes, Jones said.

But I would like to hear any current UAV guys' opinions on this.

Less alpha tours and staff jobs would help solve any shortage.

Cheers! M2

BLUF:

Its always greener on the other side....

When I was Guard, I couldn't wait to come on AD. Now that I'm AD, I can't wait to retire from it and go Guard just to have something to do (I've seen it happen pre-9/11).

If you want to come back on AD realize what you are getting into. I've talked to O-3s who got out in the early '90's (FULL DISCLOSURE: they were NAV/EWO's who were RIF'd) who were told by their SQ/CC they were "passed over" for promotion to O-4. It didn't matter that they had been out of service for 6+ yrs when the AF asked if they wanted to come back, they were behind the power curve. They were basically phucked from the get-go and retired as O-3s. Not a big incentive to come on AD.

Come back for the right reasons. If you want to serve your country and get a bonus for doing so, then do it and don't complain. Take the money and run with it! If you want to serve your country for "Mom and apple pie", then do it and don't complain. Either way, do it for what you think is right.

BTW: I'm drunk posting this because its my up-teenth deployment spread over 12yrs in uniform plus personal reasons. If JACKASS or anyone else wants to nit-pick my my grammer, so be it.

BTW: 123abc I love your graphic...

Edited by C17retread

Why would anyone go back?

As someone who got out, did the airlines, and came back, why did I do it?? Because I missed it. In July '01, I decided I had to get back to the people, the airplanes, and the mission. The airlines wasn't doing it for me. So I called my old U-2 squadron and said "please". They said "ok". My timing worked out: I was near the front of the line when 9/11 hit.

We've got another guy who was on his airliner and saw one of the jets hit the WTC on 9/11. He had Captain's seniority, but that didn't matter. He wanted to take the fight to the enemy. He went to a USAF assignment, and 4 years later, we got him in the U-2. He's still intense, and intent on ensuring his actions cause the destruction of the enemy.

There are quite a few guys I fly with at Beale that got back into the military. And they stay here because they like the assignment, the mission, the people, the jet.

Guest chaffman
Cooter, read the whole thing to understand the whole thing. You don't have to take snippets and try to paint a picture suited to your agenda. You're not Katie Couric, you're cooter.

Yes I said that, and yes I then said "it should never be that way." Put the two together and the whole idea changes. Wow, isn't that amazing. The Air Force SHOULD demand the best of people and reward the best people. It doesn't. Read that again until you can put the two thoughts together and understand the concept that people can be better than the institutions in which they work.

The risk I'm talking about is lifestyle. People have families and don't want to take the risk of getting out, when they have a 100% guarantee of a paycheck by just continuing to do what they've done.

I have a family, and as a major, made 100K, and guess what, I got out. So did no less than 2 dozen of my peers at Little Rock AFB, without VSP. So all that aside, I guess your theory is valid. :rainbow:

I didn't have a job lined up until a month prior to sep, when I got an airline job, but I was financially prepared to leave when family happieness called for it. And I never looked back. Given this economy, I would make the same decision, because you can always work at walmart and have better QOL, with respect to seeing your kids grow up(ie not being deployed all the time) and not forcing the family to live in garden spots like Clovis, Grand Forks, Offutt(the one I 7 day opted) and other lovely locales. I make a lot less money now, but I have freedom to control my own destiny, which is priceless.

Granted, there are guys who get sucked in on the drug that is a big paycheck, and there are guys out there that won't pull the trigger to get out when the family is suffering, usually due to the new car, new house, new boat, new kid, and wife who doesn't work(disclaimer, I have kids and wife works).

Edited by chaffman

Guest LocoF16

Different strokes for different folks man. Some folks like stability, some like more money. Some like flying the most, some like making rank the most. To each his own, I guess.

Here's a interesting stat for you...when I joined my Guard unit (2003), about 50% of our pilots were traditional Guard members. It was an even larger percentage before 9-11. We recently picked up the ASA mission in Houston, and after some more jobs came open there, along with more at the new JFO school at Fort Sill, we only have 4 traditional pilots left, and only two of them are airline guys.

Now I understand that I'm talking about full-time Guard, not active duty, but the possibility of a pension in the United States today is very tempting. I think very few people understand how hard it will be to live off their IRA or 401k (especially if the stock market crashes right before you're supposed to retire). Combine it with a pension and it's much more plausible. I could retire on 50% of my base pay today, go be a teacher, retire from that and live a very happy life. I'm a pretty simple dude, but like I said, different people have different priorities and what makes them happy. Most angry people are going to stay angry because that's their disposition. If it's not one thing, it'll be someting else...

• 2 months later...
Guest rotorhead

It's interesting being on the other end of the phone. When the Voluntary Return to Active Duty was started at 9-11 when the airlines turned their pipelines off, conversations went something like this:

CALLER: Yeah, I want to come back in and kick some Taliban butt, and do what I can for the country. I'm a warrior!

ME: Let's see, you were a C-17 AC only 10 months ago...I'll turn you over to the C-17 FM...we can put you back in a C-17 with only a couple of respool rides...your FM can offer you locations.

CALLER: If I can't get a T-41 to the Academy, I'm not coming back.

OR

ME: Let's see, you were a F-15 qualified pilot only 8 months ago...I'll turn you over to the F-15 FM...we can put you back in an F-15 with only a couple of respool rides...your FM can offer you locations.

CALLER: If I can't get a T-38 to Randolph, I'm not coming back.

Here's a link...I don't know how old it is:

AFPC Return Link

Guest Rusty Pipes

This Voluntary Return to Active Duty thing really pisses me off. Let me get this straight, the AF paid dudes over $100K to get out and now that they got furloughed from Continental 2 weeks after they got hired they are going to bring them back. I don't care so much that they are going to bring them back (everyone saw that coming), but they are only going to have to deploy under "special" circumstances!?!? Is there anyone really in charge out there!?! I have 4 buddies who didn't take any VSP or early out program who got hit with non-vol 365's at their 18+ yr points just this year alone and the AF is telling these other guys they can come back and not have to deploy!!! I have nothing against these guys and have a lot of good buddies who took the VSP, but if they are coming back it is most likely because the grass was not greener and the airline thing didn't "work out". Come on back boys, but they should go right to the top of the list for deployments and 365's.

This Voluntary Return to Active Duty thing really pisses me off. Let me get this straight, the AF paid dudes over $100K to get out and now that they got furloughed from Continental 2 weeks after they got hired they are going to bring them back. I don't care so much that they are going to bring them back (everyone saw that coming), but they are only going to have to deploy under "special" circumstances!?!? Is there anyone really in charge out there!?! I have 4 buddies who didn't take any VSP or early out program who got hit with non-vol 365's at their 18+ yr points just this year alone and the AF is telling these other guys they can come back and not have to deploy!!! I have nothing against these guys and have a lot of good buddies who took the VSP, but if they are coming back it is most likely because the grass was not greener and the airline thing didn't "work out". Come on back boys, but they should go right to the top of the list for deployments and 365's.

Hold up there...but only 2 of the 4 categories can't deploy. One of those go back to specific units for specific periods of time and can't be promoted or PCS. Sounds like they are filling a hole that must be filled (sts). The other is retirees called back and they can't PCS either. Not sure how many retirees you want running around the desert. I'm sure there are plenty that can still hack it, but I saw some that never should have been sent to the desert. The others deploy according to current policy.

I have 4 buddies who didn't take any VSP or early out program who got hit with non-vol 365's at their 18+ yr points just this year alone and the AF is telling these other guys they can come back and not have to deploy!!! I have nothing against these guys and have a lot of good buddies who took the VSP, but if they are coming back it is most likely because the grass was not greener and the airline thing didn't "work out". Come on back boys, but they should go right to the top of the list for deployments and 365's.

Why the hell would the Air Force do any favors for guys who are going to stay in anyway? The guys who stayed in got the security of a guaranteed paycheck, probably a 25k/yr bonus if it hadn't ended already, and a pension at the end of 20 years. I hope the money was worth it.

The guys who got out took a risk, and were rewarded with the freedom to shop around for jobs, and in this case it worked out for them. More risk, better reward -- sounds pretty fair to me.

Guest Safe&Clear

I've known lots of pilots over the years who got out and got back in.

Their stories afterwards vary across the board: one never went above O-3 but flew every year out to 20, a couple of others returned after being furloughed (or taking X-number years of "mil leave") from an airline, made rank (even got SQ CC!), flew til 20, and guess what? They kept their seniority number at said airline!! They are guaranteed a job when they're ready to go back-- some even went directly to the left seat of a major airline after AF retirement; a rare thing-- and big $$.

Some of these pilots did this before 9/11, many after. You can always get back in-- you may not get back onto the "fast track" if that's your gig, but this "return to Active Duty" is not a new thing.

One caveat for modern times, however: it seems they may try to "strongly convince" returning pilots to go UAVs over the next few years. That's a gamble one may want to consider.

Edited by Safe&Clear

The U-2 Program lost a significant number of drivers due to VSP. They have since been offered a chance to return: the USAF needs ISR/U-2 pilots suddenly. If any of these pilots take the recall, they'll come right back to Mother Beale, requal, and be back on the line. Not a bad life.

Yes, they got $100K to get out. That was in the past. AFPC messed up (go figure). It's done. Whether they come back or not, the USAF is out $100K.

Now we need them. Irrespective of why they left, I'd like to get them back. They are good pilots and personal friends. In some respects, it's a shame to see them take their finely honed skills to SWA... skills that the USAF paid big dollars to develop.

But they are in the driver's seat. Most will tell the USAF to pound sand. One or two might come back. We'll see.

As a pilot who got out, and came back in after 2 years in the airlines, I see where they are coming from, and completely understand. But I still want them back.

Edited by Huggyu2

Guest Rusty Pipes
Hold up there...but only 2 of the 4 categories can't deploy. One of those go back to specific units for specific periods of time and can't be promoted or PCS. Sounds like they are filling a hole that must be filled (sts). The other is retirees called back and they can't PCS either. Not sure how many retirees you want running around the desert. I'm sure there are plenty that can still hack it, but I saw some that never should have been sent to the desert. The others deploy according to current policy.

I don't have any problem with the retirees called back, although you're right, I probably wouldn't want SOME of them roaming the AOR. Those guys paid their dues already with their 20 yrs. But if you look at the most recent AFPC numbers there are holes that must be filled in every airframe... mostly because the AF completely botched the VSP thing. Now it looks like they are going to fvck up the return to service thing as well. Bear with me here...

Back in 2006, instead of the AF paying guys $100-200K to VSP they could have simply put out an announcement saying that if anyone wanted out of their flying commitment they could apply to be released. There still would have been a line around the corner of people wanting to get out and it wouldn't have cost the AF a dime. I'm not sure about you guys, but the majority of the VSP folks at my base were guys who still had a few years owed to the AF for UPT. Right now I could name a dozen guys off the top of my head who VSP'd, either didn't get hired or got furloughed, and are now begging for man days in the reserve/guard. A whole lot of these guys would come right back on AD without any conditions... same rank as when they left flying whatever you told them to wherever you told them to. Just like the botched VSP, the AF is going to offer these guys special conditions when they would jump right back in anyway.

All I am saying is that if they start bringing guys back to units with only deploy under special conditions caveats there is going to be a whole lot of resentment from the guys who either didn't take, didn't get approved, or were not eligible for VSP type programs and now they have to eat every deployment/365 that comes down the pipeline while these ex-VSP types are flying the good deal runs to St. Croix. Bring them all back, we need them and I personally think we lost some of the best pilots and leaders to VSP. But bring them back and treat them just like everyone else, no special favors or caveats. And guess what, just like the VSP fvck up... there would still be a line around the corner to get back in (unless of course they got hired by Southwest or UPS, you lucky bastards!!!)

...mostly because the AF completely botched the VSP thing.

No argument here.

Back in 2006, instead of the AF paying guys $100-200K to VSP they could have simply put out an announcement saying that if anyone wanted out of their flying commitment they could apply to be released. There still would have been a line around the corner of people wanting to get out and it wouldn't have cost the AF a dime.

That may be true, but you're missing one very important fact. The VSP was not targeted at flyers. The VSP was targeted at ALL officers in a specific range of year groups. The bean counters were given a mandate to come up with a simple way to slash the force. They answered with a program that only used two variables: AFSC and year group. First to apply, first accepted. The folks that designed that program probably don't know f*ck all about ops, and therefore didn't even flinch when they started typing in 11x AFSC's into the spreadsheet. My point is, the main body of folks they were targeting probably didn't have the same kind of ops tempo we did (with a few exceptions like Cops, LROs, etc.), and were much more tentative about getting out. They needed a push and VSP served that purpose. The fact that flyers were allowed out the door under the same conditions was a major "oh sh!t" that was probably only realized after it was too late.

A whole lot of these guys would come right back on AD without any conditions... same rank as when they left flying whatever you told them to wherever you told them to. Just like the botched VSP, the AF is going to offer these guys special conditions when they would jump right back in anyway

As a VSPer turned Guard Bum without a civilian job, I have to disagree. I wouldn't trade my AD service for anything, but I'm happy where I'm at. Even if I have to beg for man-days and live a more frugal lifestyle, I'm not coming back and I know a lot of other VSPers who feel the same way.

All I am saying is that if they start bringing guys back to units with only deploy under special conditions caveats there is going to be a whole lot of resentment from the guys who either didn't take, didn't get approved, or were not eligible for VSP type programs and now they have to eat every deployment/365 that comes down the pipeline while these ex-VSP types are flying the good deal runs to St. Croix.

I seriously doubt the VSPers are going to be getting all the good deals...Creech and Cannon will be pretty much the only choices with few exceptions. I will say this, if you resent the VSPers because you're jealous of what we got (and may be able to get in the future) you need to take a hard look in the mirror. Don't hate the player, hate the game. I knew exactly what was going to happen the moment the VSP announcement hit my inbox. The writing was already on the wall WRT the non-vol 365s at that point. Without the VSP I would have happily served out my commitment and then faced a tough choice with 12 years already served. When big blue offered the out, we all knew those who didn't take it stood a much greater chance of "winning" the non-vol lottery.

Bring them all back, we need them and I personally think we lost some of the best pilots and leaders to VSP. But bring them back and treat them just like everyone else, no special favors or caveats.

Agreed. If I went back I would expect nothing less.

Edited by TacAirCoug

Guest Rusty Pipes
That may be true, but you're missing one very important fact. The VSP was not targeted at flyers. The VSP was targeted at ALL officers in a specific range of year groups. The bean counters were given a mandate to come up with a simple way to slash the force. They answered with a program that only used two variables: AFSC and year group. First to apply, first accepted. The folks that designed that program probably don't know f*ck all about ops, and therefore didn't even flinch when they started typing in 11x AFSC's into the spreadsheet. My point is, the main body of folks they were targeting probably didn't have the same kind of ops tempo we did (with a few exceptions like Cops, LROs, etc.), and were much more tentative about getting out. They needed a push and VSP served that purpose. The fact that flyers were allowed out the door under the same conditions was a major "oh sh!t" that was probably only realized after it was too late.

I will say this, if you resent the VSPers because you're jealous of what we got (and may be able to get in the future) you need to take a hard look in the mirror. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You may have forgotten the VSP charts, but this program WAS specifically targeted. It was across many career fields, but within the rated world it was most certainly targeted by AFSC and year group. Lots of Mobility pilots were eligible while other groups in the same year group but different airframe were pretty much excluded. I have no problem with that though as long as they get it right, which they obviously rarely do. If they needed to get rid of a bunch of Mobility pilots (and they didn't) then that is who should be targeted.

I most definitely don't resent the VSPers. As a matter of fact I think it was a great deal for them. I was eligible and didn't put in for it, so I'm certainly not bitching about that. If they can get Big Blue to pay them another $100K to get back in I would think that is fantastic for them. All of my best friends took the VSP and then walked across the street to the Reserves which is great because all my buddies are still in town. I think it's great, I'm totally happy for them... but the talk around the Sq from most of the guys (most of whom are new and don't know all my buddies) is that they will be really pissed if they pay these guys to come back and then say they do not have to deploy. Just do the math; the number of pilots in your Sq increases so naturally the number of deployments increase... but the number of pilots eligible to deploy doesn't. This is why they need to be treated like everyone else if/when they come back.

Guest Rusty Pipes
Where is this not having to deploy coming from?

There were a few different "categories" that were listed for folks they may possibly be willing to call back. Retirees to possibly work at staff, those coming back in that could stay until they retired, those that would come back to a certain base for a specific time that would not PCS/meet promotion boards/only deploy under special circumstances. It wasn't really hashed out and I still don't think it is. They may not even do it at all... the original letters looked like they were "feelers". Someone sent me a link to a story from AFPC on the portal, but it wasn't dated although there was a related story on the same page with suspenses for something of Oct 08.

But if you look at the most recent AFPC numbers there are holes that must be filled in every airframe... mostly because the AF completely botched the VSP thing. Now it looks like they are going to fvck up the return to service thing as well. Bear with me here...

I'm shocked you would say AFPC did anything wrong. :bash:

While all airframes may need more numbers, I looked at the AFSCs that AFPC is offering this to (as of last night) and there are only a handful.

I doubt that any VSP'ers would get any special deals. I also saw where, like I said, 2 of these categories aren't really getting a "special" deal and can deploy IAW service policy. The retirees and the other looked like they would be BNRs or special circumstances. The majority would probably come in under the other two programs and would be eligible to deploy . I'm sure any VSP'ers that were offered anything would more than likely fall into one of those categories. I also would bet that any VSP contract has a clause to recoup some money if a guy were to come back on AD. Although, I've been wrong before and am only speculating at this point. Although, you've been speculating as well so we're in good company. Maybe TacAirCOug or some other VSPer can straighten me out (sts). Don't blow your top (sts) without getting into the details.

Edited by Herk Driver

You may have forgotten the VSP charts, but this program WAS specifically targeted.

It WAS specifically targeted at ALL officers, aircrew were but a fraction of the total number of officers targeted. While there may have been a dozen 11x lines in the matrix, if you looked at the actual numbers involved aircrew did not account for the largest percentage, IIRC. Yeah, the numbers varied within the pilot category, but to the folks that made the matrix 11M's, 11R's, 11F's, etc. are no different than 14N's or 69X's. They were just numbers to those guys, which is the point I was trying to make. Once they figured out what the numbers actually meant, then they sh!t their shorts. All you have to do is look at the FY08 force shaping numbers for confirmation.

I don't know where all of this talk of not deploying is coming from. This "special circumstances" mumbo-jumbo likely has been WAY misinterpreted. Let's get all the facts before we jump to conclusions and get pissed off, okay?

• 3 weeks later...

I got an email this evening about the Retired Rated Officer Recall Program and the Limited Period Recall Program. The programs are approved and in effect. They are taking recall applications until the end of the year. Go to the AFPC website for more info.

Detailed information, to include application requirements and

procedures, can be found on the AFPC ASK website

(http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil) by entering either Retired Rated

Recall Program or Limited Period Recall Program in the search tool on

the website.

This is the RRORP FAQ sheet from the AFPC website.

RETIRED RATED OFFICER RECALL PROGRAM

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q1. What is the Retired Rated Officer Recall Program (RRORP)?

A1. The Retired Rated Officer Recall Program allows a retired rated officer the opportunity to apply for recall to extended active duty (EAD) to fill a valid active force position for a specific period of time.

Q2. Who is eligible to apply for this Retired Rated Officer Recall Program?

A2. Retired Rated officers in the grades of Lt Col and below.

Q3. Are retired Reservists eligible to apply for this program?

A3. Yes, both retired Regular and Retired Reserve officers are eligible.

Q4. Will officers recalled via Retired Rated Officer Recall Program be eligible for promotion?

A4. No. Retired officers are not eligible for promotion.

Q5. Can officers recalled via Retired Rated Officer Recall Program be assigned overseas?

A5. Yes

Q6. Can officers recalled via Retired Rated Officer Recall Program be deployed?

A6. Yes, by volunteering for recall under this Retired Rated Officer Recall Program officers have volunteered for and are eligible or deployment.

Q7. I retired via a Selective Early Retirement Board (SERB). Am I eligible to apply.

A7. Yes

Q8. Where can I find information about the application and where to submit it?

A8. Application information can be found on the AFPC “ASK” website (http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil) by entering “Retired Rated Recall Program” in the search tool on the website.

Q9. How long will applications be accepted?

A9. Applications will be accepted through 31 Dec 09 unless the program is terminated earlier.

Q10. How long will the recall period be?

A10. Officers may be recalled for the following varying periods: Officers filling rated staff vacancies will serve a minimum period of 24 months. Officers who need to attend any associated flying training and/or filling a flying billet will serve a minimum period of 36 months upon completion of training. Maximum recall period will be 48 months.

Q11. Is there a maximum age limit to apply for this Retired Rated Officer Recall Program?

A11. Retired officers under the age of 60 are eligible to apply. Officers recalled under this Retired Rated Officer Recall Program cannot remain on active duty longer than the first day of the month following the month in which they become 62 years of age.

Q12. Are officers recalled via this Retired Rated Officer Recall Program eligible for Aviator Continuation Pay (ACP)?

A12. No.

Q13. If I am selected, how long do I have to accept or decline the offer?

A13. 14 days from receipt of the notification letter.

Q14. If I accept a recall offer, when will I receive extended active duty (EAD) orders?

A14. Our processing time goal is 60 days from receipt of a complete application. However, processing time can vary depending upon the assignment, the processing of your physical for medical clearance, and your availability.

Q15. How do I submit my application?

A15. You can fax your application paperwork to Commercial: 210-565-6235 or DSN: 665-6235 or you can mail it to: HQ AFPC/DPSIPR, 550 C STREET WEST, STE 10, RANDOLPH AFB TX 78150.

Guest Guard130pilot

The info is on the AFPC website. It's a great deal...not! If you wanted to go back on active duty, and pay back the VSP to fly a UAV for the next 24 to 48 months your ship has come in. If UAVs are not to your liking, maybe a RC-12 to the sandbox might be in order for you. I almost forgot to mention you don't get the Aviation Career Pay while doing it... I'm sure the phone will be ringing off the hook. I wonder if this program was thought up by the same folks who let the pilots go in FY07? I guess all the other MWS are at 100%, good job big blue! I'm holding out until they make it mandatory blues Mon thru Fri with your reflective belt on if you go back in.

Edited by Guard130pilot

The info is on the AFPC website. It's a great deal...not! If you wanted to go back on active duty, and pay back the VSP to fly a UAV for the next 24 to 48 months your ship has come in. If UAVs are not to your liking, maybe a RC-12 to the sandbox might be in order for you. I almost forgot to mention you don't get the Aviation Career Pay while doing it... I'm sure the phone will be ringing off the hook. I wonder if this program was thought up by the same folks who let the pilots go in FY07? I guess all the other MWS are at 100%, good job big blue! I'm holding out until they make it mandatory blues Mon thru Fri with your reflective belt on if you go back in.

I've got to disagree with you. For many guys this is a great deal. Everybody's personal situation is different and this will appeal to many and provides a way for the USAF to get back some bodies it needs to help put the hurt on the bad guys. I can see a lot of current airline guys wanting to take Mil Leave and come back in for a few years. For me, I have my seniority number at an airline and would have a job to return to when done with the recall. For many of the furloughed guys this will be a nice steady paycheck while at the same time helping out our country. Win/Win.

As for the Aviation Career Pay, it's actually the Aviator Continuation Pay (ACP) or "Pilot Bonus" that returning guys won't get. That's okay because I was done with the bonus before I retired anyway.

Is that only for retired guys and not an option for dudes who just separated after their ADSC?

Nope, not just for retired guys. This is from AFPC:

The following guidelines apply to the Limited Period Recall Program

specifically: Applicants must be Air Reserve Component (ARC) rated

officers in the grades of Lt Col and below. ARC officers who separated

from active duty with any branch of service for strength reduction and

for non selection for promotion are eligible to apply.

Detailed information, to include application requirements and

procedures, can be found on the AFPC ASK website

(http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil) by entering either Retired Rated

Recall Program or Limited Period Recall Program in the search tool on

the website. Interested individuals can also contact the Air Force

Customer Service Center at 1-800-616-3775 (after 22 Feb 09, number

changes to 1-800-525-0102), commercial 210-565-5000 or DSN 665-5000

(please ensure to choose the active duty menu options provided) or

e-mail afpc.recall.ops@randolph.af.mil for information.

• 4 weeks later...
The return to active duty program is supposed to help "fix" the current rated shortage. With the initial lack of bodies going to staff (specifically the last assignment cycle), what is the word on the street for staff jobs? Everyone here at EUCOM, at least the dudes I hang out with, have been getting assignments and some are getting early release. Is this happening in other staffs or are most staying to their DEROS/ expected assignment time?

We've been told at STRAT that there will be no extensions past our three-year tour. The only rated guys that are due to rotate out this cycle: two are going to 365s (myself included) and two are dropping their papers. As far as I can tell, there is only one rated guy coming to the building, and he is filling my job. He's a long-term/permanent DNIF, so he wasn't useful except for ALO or staff, anyway.

As far as the 'return to active duty' program, we have enough reservists and guardsmen applying for tours here to earn enough points for active duty retirement that retirees/separatists are probably not needed. They also hire enough retiree civilians to fill billets that really need rated experience, or they put someone who doesn't know shit about airplanes in the job. Those guys just task the rated guys that are here to do their work for them on taskers that require a 'rated response', which overworks the hell out of the few rated guys in the building.

It would not shock me at all that the JS and COCOMs will be pushing more airplane-related work down to the MAJCOMs really soon. My office has already started doing some of this, and it will probably get worse. The warfighter, at least STRAT, has relinquished its power to level requirements on the services, and will get stuck doing the mission set with what they can get vs. what they need.

Global Strike Command might as well be manned by cardboard standees. They are getting almost no bodies at all.