Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Guest CharlieDontSurf

On the bright side, we lost BK and Pizza Hut, but gained KFC at KAF! $15 two piece special anyone? Nothing goes better with fried chicken than the lofty aroma of four shit ponds within a stone's throw of everything. I'll take the Deid anyday.

Edited by CharlieDontSurf

On the bright side, we lost BK and Pizza Hut, but gained KFC at KAF! $15 two piece special anyone? Nothing goes better with fried chicken than the lofty aroma of four shit ponds within a stone's throw of everything. I'll take the Deid anyday.

Charlie, How's KAF?

Get rid of the Shoes at the Deid and it wouldn't be half bad... Until then, I'll take Bagram anyday.

cheers :beer:

I'm not so sure that taking Bagram anyday is really a wise decision. The other day I was busted coming out of the wood house shower by a first shirt that likes to camp out around 1130 in the shady area and bust people for uniform infractions. Apparently, after pulling my shirt on, my right sleeve became rolled up. As I am walking out of the door, with flip-flops on, a towel over my shoulder and a shaving kit and dirty clothes in my hands, I hear a voice yell "Hey!" I turn around to see a SMSgt shirt with a nicely pressed uniform standing there with a cold bottle of water. Wondering who the hell he was yelling at, he follows up with "You need to roll your sleeves down. Come on, you need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem!" Since I had no idea that my sleeve had become rolled up, but given the fact that he was looking directly at me, I kindly said "excuse me?" He then proceeds to storm over to me and point to my right sleeve. He continued on with "Do you need a refresher on the PT uniform policy?" I kindly said "no, thank you," turned my back and began to walk off. Well, he wasn't done. He follows me and tells me to roll my sleeve down. I roll my sleeve down, say thank you again and walk off. Perhaps if I had not just finished another 16-hour day, I could have come up with a good whopper to fire back at him. As I was walking back to my oven-like B-hut, trying not to roll my ankles on the gigantic chunks of white rock, I began to wonder if the reason that the shirt was such an asshole was because he was unhappy having his own shitter and shower in his RLB. This probably wasn't the case; he probably had to drop off his own laundry that day or maybe he didn't get a good seat at movie night. Or maybe, just maybe, they didn't have enough Diet Coke at the chow hall. Either way, I still laugh when I think about people who have so little to do that they will hang out, doing nothing, waiting to make themselves feel needed by jumping in other people's shit. What do I know though?

Charlie, How's KAF?

Get rid of the Shoes at the Deid and it wouldn't be half bad... Until then, I'll take Bagram anyday.

cheers :beer:

I'm not so sure that taking Bagram anyday is really a wise decision. The other day I was busted coming out of the wood house shower by a first shirt that likes to camp out around 1130 in the shady area and bust people for uniform infractions. Apparently, after pulling my shirt on, my right sleeve became rolled up. As I am walking out of the door, with flip-flops on, a towel over my shoulder and a shaving kit and dirty clothes in my hands, I hear a voice yell "Hey!" I turn around to see a SMSgt shirt with a nicely pressed uniform standing there with a cold bottle of water. Wondering who the hell he was yelling at, he follows up with "You need to roll your sleeves down. Come on, you need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem!" Since I had no idea that my sleeve had become rolled up, but given the fact that he was looking directly at me, I kindly said "excuse me?" He then proceeds to storm over to me and point to my right sleeve. He continued on with "Do you need a refresher on the PT uniform policy?" I kindly said "no, thank you," turned my back and began to walk off. Well, he wasn't done. He follows me and tells me to roll my sleeve down. I roll my sleeve down, say thank you again and walk off. Perhaps if I had not just finished another 16-hour day, I could have come up with a good whopper to fire back at him. As I was walking back to my oven-like B-hut, trying not to roll my ankles on the gigantic chunks of white rock, I began to wonder if the reason that the shirt was such an asshole was because he was unhappy having his own shitter and shower in his RLB. This probably wasn't the case; he probably had to drop off his own laundry that day or maybe he didn't get a good seat at movie night. Or maybe, just maybe, they didn't have enough Diet Coke at the chow hall. Either way, I still laugh when I think about people who have so little to do that they will hang out, doing nothing, waiting to make themselves feel needed by jumping in other people's shit. What do I know though?

Shit like this is why I'm bolting active duty the first chance I get. Life is too short to be treated like a kindergartner by morons.

Fox Sports sponsoring the bar... KFC... all of this is NOT A GOOD THING. We need less creature comforts for the shoes, not more. The more shit like this we put at the Deid and other places, the more likely Tops in Blue will show up, chiefs will go on power trips, etc.

• Upvote 2

Well, got here today. You can tell it's july, the CC and ops town are BOTH sold out of gold bond. My balls are NOT happy. War is hell.

Also, the CC chow hall is closing nightly from 0000-0500 for "renovation", even though they've only been open a year. And they're knocking down a bunch of trailers to replace them with more trailers. Our sq lost two buildings and I'd assume other squadrons are getting compressed as well, so now just about everyone is doubled up, while the BPC still sits largely vacant. Gotta love priorities.

Sorry guys, my big pet peeve. Talking about how tough you "should" or "could" have been, but in reality you let the enlisted guy be a complete ass, and you just smiled and obeyed him.

• Upvote 1

I'm not so sure that taking Bagram anyday is really a wise decision.

I cannot believe how much that place has changed.

The other day I was busted coming out of the wood house shower by a first shirt

Why didn't you simply ignore him? Seriously? You are not obligated to talk to him, especially when he addresses you as "Hey!"

I don't get why people take shit like this from people like that.

I cannot believe how much that place has changed.

Why didn't you simply ignore him? Seriously? You are not obligated to talk to him, especially when he addresses you as "Hey!"

I don't get why people take shit like this from people like that.

At my base, ignoring a SSgt would result in him emailing the first O-5 in his chain direct, who would email my boss, who would interrupt my debrief to bring me into his office to explain myself, where I would then be ordered to write an apology letter (no shit).

At one time if you had butch looking guyz with perfect grooming and impeccable duds hanging around restrooms and showers especially if they were making up excuses to contact the patrons.....eventually someone would call the Vice Squad and they would assign some officers to FRUIT PATROL (not my terminology) and that would soon be the end to that.

......................."roll down them sleeves you blue eyed devil".............

At my base, ignoring a SSgt would result in him emailing the first O-5 in his chain direct, who would email my boss, who would interrupt my debrief to bring me into his office to explain myself, where I would then be ordered to write an apology letter (no shit).

Your boss is a piece of s#&*. Top cover from dripdouches like the one in your story is easy and painless if handled right. Hopefully your next boss is better.

• Upvote 2

Well, got here today. You can tell it's july, the CC and ops town are BOTH sold out of gold bond. My balls are NOT happy. War is hell.

Also, the CC chow hall is closing nightly from 0000-0500 for "renovation", even though they've only been open a year. And they're knocking down a bunch of trailers to replace them with more trailers. Our sq lost two buildings and I'd assume other squadrons are getting compressed as well, so now just about everyone is doubled up, while the BPC still sits largely vacant. Gotta love priorities.

Count us as a (smaller) squadron that lost two trailers.

This whole situation is bullshit. I've told full bird Colonels that their collar was flipped up or that a patch was messed up, but I did it quietly (sts) and without fanfare. I'm not looking for credit. I'm not looking to call him out. I'm just helping out a "bro" so he looks like he should in uniform. I did so respectfully.

THIS kind of stuff NEEDS to be addressed at an officer level IMMEDIATELY when something like this happens. Don't let an NCO shoeclerk be disrespectful. I realize you were in PT gear, but a simple, "Staff Sergeant, making uniform corrections is certainly within your purview as you've likely been directed to pull this duty, but so is common decency and respect for your fellow airman. 'Hey!' is not appropriate, especially when you have no CLUE what rank of person you are addressing. 'Excuse me' would be FAR more apropos and a 'please' thrown in would certainly help matters. Instead of calling people out publicly on simple nitnoid stuff, perhaps you can be polite and criticize in private?"

That said, at the end of a 16+ hour day (without Dex), I'm not sure I wouldn't have muttered something and went along my merry way.

[/Monday morning quarterbacking]

This whole situation is bullshit. I've told full bird Colonels that their collar was flipped up or that a patch was messed up, but I did it quietly (sts) and without fanfare. I'm not looking for credit. I'm not looking to call him out. I'm just helping out a "bro" so he looks like he should in uniform. I did so respectfully.

THIS kind of stuff NEEDS to be addressed at an officer level IMMEDIATELY when something like this happens. Don't let an NCO shoeclerk be disrespectful. I realize you were in PT gear, but a simple, "Staff Sergeant, making uniform corrections is certainly within your purview as you've likely been directed to pull this duty, but so is common decency and respect for your fellow airman. 'Hey!' is not appropriate, especially when you have no CLUE what rank of person you are addressing. 'Excuse me' would be FAR more apropos and a 'please' thrown in would certainly help matters. Instead of calling people out publicly on simple nitnoid stuff, perhaps you can be polite and criticize in private?"

That said, at the end of a 16+ hour day (without Dex), I'm not sure I wouldn't have muttered something and went along my merry way.

[/Monday morning quarterbacking]

That's a great way to go about it, but it doesn't address the biggest issue of all... THESE UNIFORM THINGS DON'T ######ING MATTER! A sleeve rolled up, a morale patch, PT gear untucked, black socks, short socks, sunglasses on your head, mustache beyond the 90 degree line extending from the ends of your upper lip, blah blah blah... NONE OF THEM MATTER TO WINNING A GODDAMN WAR!

I hate the dumbass argument "well if I can't trust you to tuck in your PT gear, how can I trust you to (insert complex mission-essential activity here that you've been highly trained to do). Apples and oranges... it's a cheap, easy "leadership" tactic aimed at the lowest common denominator, like everything else in the AF. It's far easier and measurable to come up with inane uniform policies and enforce them upon all than it is to actually lead and accomplish the mission.

• Upvote 1

That's a great way to go about it, but it doesn't address the biggest issue of all... THESE UNIFORM THINGS DON'T ######ING MATTER! A sleeve rolled up, a morale patch, PT gear untucked, black socks, short socks, sunglasses on your head, mustache beyond the 90 degree line extending from the ends of your upper lip, blah blah blah... NONE OF THEM MATTER TO WINNING A GODDAMN WAR!

I hate the dumbass argument "well if I can't trust you to tuck in your PT gear, how can I trust you to (insert complex mission-essential activity here that you've been highly trained to do). Apples and oranges... it's a cheap, easy "leadership" tactic aimed at the lowest common denominator, like everything else in the AF. It's far easier and measurable to come up with inane uniform policies and enforce them upon all than it is to actually lead and accomplish the mission.

I was only addressing the immediate situation, not the metaproblem

How would he even know who you were if you were coming out of the shower?

How would he even know who you were if you were coming out of the shower?

Probably via the stupid-ass manpurse "they" require you to wear at the Deid (with your ID card fully visible through the transparency).

Every time I read about this kind of shit happening (E disrespects O, O corrects E on the spot, E cries to Dad ASAP, Dad smashes O later), it truly boggles my mind that officer leadership in the United States Air Force has degraded to this level.

Probably via the stupid-ass manpurse "they" require you to wear at the Deid (with your ID card fully visible through the transparency).

That rule must have changed b/c it is not required now. You just have to have your ID card on you at all times, much like a normal base. Funny how many ppl wear those goofy necklaces and armbands though.

Every time I read about this kind of shit happening (E disrespects O, O corrects E on the spot, E cries to Dad ASAP, Dad smashes O later), it truly boggles my mind that officer leadership in the United States Air Force has degraded to this level.

That rule must have changed b/c it is not required now. You just have to have your ID card on you at all times, much like a normal base. Funny how many ppl wear those goofy necklaces and armbands though.

I guess so. I passed through the Deid this time last year and the manpurse requirement was an emphasis item in that ridiculous "in-processing/in-brief" the A1C gave to all us transients after we landed.

I suppose any measure of sane, common-sense regulations is better than nothing.....

edit: formatting

Edited by JarheadBoom

Has anybody else had any run-ins with 50-cent and his posse of assclowns tending bar at Fox Sports?

If you're talking about the short guy, yeah, i ordered from him this morning. The awesome part is that he's so stupid he doesn't know when you're making fun of him when you say, "I'm finnin' to get my Guinness on".

Has anybody else had any run-ins with 50-cent and his posse of assclowns tending bar at Fox Sports?

If it's the same guys that were running the outdoor bar for the last couple of months, yeah. Although I'm sure not the brightest bulbs in the drawer some of them were good for a regular drink "hook-up" now and again... :jd: .

Cooter