Blues on Monday

okienav

Just remember, if the CSAF expressed how he really felt about the :rainbow:-ness of everything, do you really think he would have made 4 stars?

How do you eat this shit up top and not question your own stupidity? You gotta sell part of your soul to get above colonel with this shit.

And it's not that we have to wear blues that pisses most of us off, it's that the FNG leadership feels the need to place 1st priority on prerogatives & issues that have nothing to do with meeting the threats of the fight. :salut: Good day sir

Or you could comply, and wear black cowboy boots with a short-sleve & tie, full size ribbons and insignia, the cardigan, and a wheel cap. Essentially, it'd be like a USAF Pilot-Union job action. If we all tried to make our AF blues look as ridiculous as possible, leadership just might back off and let us wear what we want to. Who's up for it?

My entire B-course class is wearing flight boots, large badges and ribbons, and wheel caps if we have one. It's 110 degrees in Phoenix right now so the cardigan is out of the question..

Didn't this happen a few years ago, and didn't alot of SQ/CC's fix the problem by putting everyone on stand-by every day?

Either way, I'm flying on Monday. And word around the squadron is flight suits until SQ/CC says otherwise. In his own words, "At any time, I could ask any one of you to fly".

You know, I've worn the flight suit for a long time now. Shoot, I rely on GRRAnimals when I wear civies since I have no fashion sense. I don't even have all the requisite parts for my Blues. I relish my green bag more than any piece of clothing I'll ever wear.

But The Boss says this is what he wants, so there you have it. He's asking me to wear... a uniform. Something I was pretty thrilled to do the day I got commissioned. Something I enjoy doing everyday I go to my squadron. I haven't worn that Blue one much over the years,.... but it's still MY uniform.

The level of outcry on this forum is stunning, given the "level" of the event. This certainly didn't take much to implement, and this is not proof that CSAF is diverting his attention away from the big tasks at hand to ask us to wear a different UOD on Monday.

I certainly know there's no culture of complacency in the Ops squadrons, so how about we operators do what we do best, implement this, and make it happen? There are just so many different issues I have to deal with each and every day, that this just gets buried in the noise level,... hence the reason I'm worn out at the end of the day.

Let it ride for a few months, and see where CSAF goes with this. This is not the end of civilization as we know it.

I don't have the regs handy, but can you blouse your blues pants if you're wearing green flight boots?

I remember some guy in ROTC bloused his blues pants once with boots...and he did find a reg that said it is allowed. I would think the boot color wouldn't change that...either way it's worth a shot. How great would that be if every dude in the squadron walks in with pants bloused with boots.

I just have to throw in my $.02 here. I believe, that if you start blousing your blues pants over your combat boots, you may run into some danger of being severely beaten by a Pararescue man/Combat Controller. This has always been "Their" thing, and I propose, out of respect for them, that we leave it that way. I'm just going to go with pants over combat boots with the rest of the bus driver uniform combo myself should the Wing CC at KTIK implement this.

Black is the only color boot authorized with blues.

Only SP, PJ, CRO, SERE, TACP, and ALO are permitted to blouse trousers with boots. (I never met an ALO who did but I am sure they exist).

Typical disrespect to heavy drivers, AMLO's too.

But you're correct, outside a mandatory formation I never saw any ALO/AMLO do it. Actually even at formation I didn't do it, but a couple possibly gay ALOs did.

But The Boss says this is what he wants, so there you have it. He's asking me to wear... a uniform. Something I was pretty thrilled to do the day I got commissioned. Something I enjoy doing everyday I go to my squadron. I haven't worn that Blue one much over the years,.... but it's still MY uniform.

The level of outcry on this forum is stunning, given the "level" of the event. This certainly didn't take much to implement, and this is not proof that CSAF is diverting his attention away from the big tasks at hand to ask us to wear a different UOD on Monday.

Me too

What is the "right" thing to do here? I know initially I thought it'd be funny to wear the ribbons, wheelcap, cardigan....and the list goes on. The more I think about it the more I think it's a bad idea. I know that all of those items are legit per the regs, but the only reason to wear them would be to make a mockery of the uniform, a uniform that we should be proud to wear. It has been pretty nice to wear the bag everyday for the past 5 years of my life but, like others have stated, it's not our only uniform. Sure it might suck a little to have to get your blues squared away, and it is a higher maintenance uniform than what we are used to, but dammit we are Officers and we should act like it. Why do we want to make our service look like shit? Why is that funny? The more I think about it the more childish it is!

I don't know why this is the first thing that Gen Schwartz has put on our plates, but it is and who are we to doubt. We know nothing of how he will run things. First impressions are huge and I know that to many of you his was a bad one. We'll see, but there is still a task at hand and for us to run around like a bunch of spoiled assed kids doesn't help our cause one bit.

Here's a thought...why don't we get our uniform squared away to a point that it impresses? Why not look like a proud damn member of the US Air Force? Those of us who have to wear our blues this Monday should feel proud that we are a part of the best damn Air Force in the world. If you don't feel that then get the ###### out at your first opportunity because I sure as hell don't want you here.

If you want to show up Monday looking like an AF blue clown that's your prerogative. I just ask you think a bit about the example that you are setting to your leadership and more importantly your subordinates. It's just a uniform guys, wear it proud and move on!

This is the attitude that kills me. So you agree that it's dumb shit but then take offense when people air their grievances about it because they should just "STFU and get over it." The real "culture of complacency" in the Air Force is all your types that are complacent about spending your entire day doing "dumb shit" rather than focusing on what's important. This particular reg alone is trivial, but when shoveled up and heaved on top of the mountain of other stupid bullshit we have to comply with, it's just another addition to the things that make life hectic and painful, cause retention issues with our best people, and distract us from killing Hajji.

Ever stop to think why Hajji is so successful against the world’s most powerful military? IMO, it's because ALL they do is fight. While I'm now out at mil clothing trying to figure out what ribbons to put on my blues, Hajji's setting up an IED. While I'm on hold with the consolidated comm help desk so I can un-fvck my computer and take my Information Protection CBT, Hajji is regrouping in Pakistan to plan a new attack. You really think Hakmed is worried about scarves, reflective belts, or when his human trafficking currency expires?? And seriously.... who in the Air Force is trafficking all these kids??? Likewise, show me the statistics on who's getting run over because they weren't wearing a reflective belt.

We CREATE this bullshit for ourselves. Out of thin air. It's self-induced, self-enforced, and the mountain of it is growing beyond a point where anyone can realistically comply with it all AND get their job done. And it's people like you that are on their way to the full blown O-6 kool-aid induced lobotomy where uniform regs take priority over killing bad people and defending our nation.

2, I recall in UPT having to wear blues and then run in the bathroom to change into my bag for a flight, then change back into blues after said flight and then back again after someone got bumped from the sched and I got placed back on it. So, now Mondays in the squadron can be like a UPT haze all over again when you're not scheduled to fly, but suddenly find yourself on the sched. This is just a waste of time and a royal ass pain of a policy and has nothing to do with the real problems at hand. Oh, and I just went to finance probably for the 6th visit to check on a voucher I filed in June that keeps getting lost in Ellsworth's black hole.

I just can't wait to ops loss a line because all those not on the schedule are in blues with no flight suit in sight...

Which will lead to a read file stating that all flyers will have a flight suit readily available in the event that they are ordered to fly last minute.

I know that all of those items are legit per the regs, but the only reason to wear them would be to make a mockery of the uniform, a uniform that we should be proud to wear. It has been pretty nice to wear the bag everyday for the past 5 years of my life but, like others have stated, it's not our only uniform.

Good point to remember. No need to try and make yourselves look like ass-clowns. It won't change the policy any quicker. It'll probably just end up creating an O-Call for the rest of us to get lectured on professionalism. Whether it's in the regs or not, doesn't mean you should try make yourselves look stupid and try to discredit yourself in your blues.

Q3 for judgment.

I'm pissed that I now need to figure out how to carry the many things I have in my 7 flight suit pockets.

cell phone

pen

pencil

highlighter

chapstick

thumbdrive

wallet

sunglasses

flight cap

keys

gum

knife

I know that blues are part of our AF, and we should look good in whatever uniform we are required to wear. As much as I would like to look like a complete 'tard in my blues (cardigan sweater, etc.), I will make sure its crisp and sharp. We all know that wearing a different uniform one day a week is not a big deal. Its just the idea that AF upper management made it policy when many many other things need to be addressed before "Blues Monday". As a whole, we are getting kicked in the balls every other day w/ never ending deployments, TDYs, exercises, inspections, and too many pointless ancillary training CBTs. And doing all of those things with practically no one in the squadron. So, this is just one more kick in the junk. I am proud to serve, but can't help counting my days left on active duty.

If you don't feel that then get the ###### out at your first opportunity because I sure as hell don't want you here.

I just ask you think a bit about the example that you are setting to your leadership and more importantly your subordinates.

First sentece: Noted. I may just take you up on that.

Second sentence: The example I'm setting to them? WTF are you talking about? Are you f'ing serious? I'm not trying to set an example to them. Tell me my ARMS Airman needs me to do it too and I'm on board...you just misfired on that one.

This is just a waste of time and a royal ass pain of a policy and has nothing to do with the real problems at hand.

That sounds about right...

Haha...I know I should it's more fun! I think I'm turning into my dad.

'nuff said.

I just heard about this in the bar today! Ugh. "Good to see you too, ass."

Right after the dude that I saw that was like, "Yeah, you're going to Iraq next month."

Awesome. Glad I came out tonight. Vodka shot, please.

I'm with the "WTF is this all about crowd. I don't get it. It's not going to boost my morale.

The Filipino chick I'm hanging out with tonight said it best:

"Maybe his favorite color is blue. Your ass looks really great in your flight suit, but it's green. He's a guy...and probably married, but in a position of power, so he can't let your ass change his descision! The flight suit is green and the color of choice is blue...so he just needs more blues. It doesn't seem that complicated to me."

I didn't have much to say after that.

Bendy

I will wear my blues on 15 September as ordered by my four-star boss at STRAT.

I will wear them along with members of all four services, who will also be in their own service uniforms. We will all wear them once a week.

I will wear my service hat because I have always thought it was far more professional-looking, and far more military-looking than a flight cap, especially one that has spent a lot of time in a flight suit pocket. The first time I wore my blues outside of formation, I wore it. That was in 1987 at BMT. I will have plenty of company, particularly from my Navy coworkers, who will wear their service hats. That picture I saw years ago of Skeletor wearing a flight cap when the other chiefs were wearing wheel caps was burned in my mind forever. It screamed, "I'm not one of you guys".

I will wear my low quarters until the cold weather and snow hits Nebraska, and then I will wear my flight boots. I refuse to go through a foot of snow that was not plowed in the parking lot a quarter mile from my building just too "conform" in my Corfams.

I will not wear my ribbons with my badges, since the thought of the pins on my wings digging into my clavicle does not sound comfortable. It certainly isn't because I'm not proud of them. I grew up in a world where ATC (not AETC) instructors were required to wear their ribbons in blues. I thought it looked sharp then, and I think it looks sharp now. There are limits to practicality.

I will wear my blues because my service chief tells me to do so. I'll be a military professional until the day my service tells me to get out (31 Jan 12). Then I'll be a civilian professional creating TPS reports.

This board serves a very important purpose. It allows unofficial conversation on topics important to all of us. Sometimes it contains bullshit, but that's okay. For those of us who are not around aviation anymore, and miss the life, it keeps us in touch with those who do. Cherish it while you have it. It will always be okay to bitch on the flight deck or in the flight room with the doors closed. Then, come out and do your jobs. I think most of you do.

Those of you who can't stand some crewdogs sounding off on what in the past has been a misguided policy in the comfort of our own forum, you sir, are not a crewdog.

I will wear my blues on 15 September as ordered by my four-star boss at STRAT.

I will wear them along with members of all four services, who will also be in their own service uniforms. We will all wear them once a week.

I will wear my service hat because I have always thought it was far more professional-looking, and far more military-looking than a flight cap, especially one that has spent a lot of time in a flight suit pocket. The first time I wore my blues outside of formation, I wore it. That was in 1987 at BMT. I will have plenty of company, particularly from my Navy coworkers, who will wear their service hats. That picture I saw years ago of Skeletor wearing a flight cap when the other chiefs were wearing wheel caps was burned in my mind forever. It screamed, "I'm not one of you guys".

I will wear my low quarters until the cold weather and snow hits Nebraska, and then I will wear my flight boots. I refuse to go through a foot of snow that was not plowed in the parking lot a quarter mile from my building just too "conform" in my Corfams.

I will not wear my ribbons with my badges, since the thought of the pins on my wings digging into my clavicle does not sound comfortable. It certainly isn't because I'm not proud of them. I grew up in a world where ATC (not AETC) instructors were required to wear their ribbons in blues. I thought it looked sharp then, and I think it looks sharp now. There are limits to practicality.

I will wear my blues because my service chief tells me to do so. I'll be a military professional until the day my service tells me to get out (31 Jan 12). Then I'll be a civilian professional creating TPS reports.

This board serves a very important purpose. It allows unofficial conversation on topics important to all of us. Sometimes it contains bullshit, but that's okay. For those of us who are not around aviation anymore, and miss the life, it keeps us in touch with those who do. Cherish it while you have it. It will always be okay to bitch on the flight deck or in the flight room with the doors closed. Then, come out and do your jobs. I think most of you do.

Those of you who can't stand some crewdogs sounding off on what in the past has been a misguided policy in the comfort of our own forum, you sir, are not a crewdog.

"2" But it is fun to complain about!

Now, why can't those exact words end up in the COS' in-box, unfiltered, unedited, straight-up "Here's what's broken, Boss, now let's fix it"? Where is the filter and therefore the severe disconnect?

Like Cap-10 said earlier, it's up to leadership and supervisors to step up and lay the smack down when people aren't meeting standards and fullfillnig their specific job obligations.

I think the squadrons in the OG are the only ones that are doing this. I don't intend to start a massive flame war on this forum with that statement, but I think it is true.

Damnit, now I am torn. AF Nav says some great words...But then again, CH as usual makes a lot of sense. All I know is that I hate the idea that I HAVE to wear blues on a Monday more than anything, but the question that lies in my mind is "Am I going to sigh and do it willingly for the greater good, or am I going to go in Pi$$d off because my leadership once again, does not get it?" The Kool-aid drinker in me, who is proud to serve and wants to STEP promote the SSgt over at the base gym who puts an effort forth to run outside every day during retreat, stand at attention and SINGS the national anthem out loud would like to think the former, but the 13 year AF man in me who has seen quite a bit and is more than slightly jaded suspects the later.

Side note - If you know what I can do an an Lt. for the above mentioned SSgt to get him some Kudos, please let me know via PM.

Well, flying well and focusing on the mission is leading by example... for the pilots and aircrew you fly with (for those of us with crews). The finance guy never sees it. The MPF guy never sees it. TMO never sees it. So how is it leading by example? All they ever see is your professionalism when you're not flying. That professional image is damaged if we A) bitch B) wear sloppy blues or C) forget to demonstrate it in a manner they can actually see.

Damn. As much as I feel what CH is putting out, I have to say that Buddha has some good fruit for thought here.

I guess some if not all bases will begin their interpretation of "any combination" of blues. This came out friday afternoon:

Little Rock AFB personnel will wear the long sleeve blue shirt with tie from 1 Nov through

31 Mar and the short sleeve blue shirt from 1 Apr through 31 Oct.

Now, why can't those exact words end up in the COS' in-box, unfiltered, unedited, straight-up "Here's what's broken, Boss, now let's fix it"? Where is the filter and therefore the severe disconnect?

Dear Boss,

Well, I quit. I’ve finally run out of drive or devotion or rationalizations or

whatever it was that kept me in the Air Force this long. I used to believe in, “Why

not the best,” but I can’t keep the faith any longer. I used to fervently maintain

that this was “My Air Force,” as much or more than any senior officer’s…but I

can’t believe any more; the light at the end of my tunnel went out. “Why?” you

ask. Why leave flying fighters and a promising career? Funny you should ask—

mainly I’m resigning because I’m tired. Ten years and 2,000 hours in a great

fighter, and all the time I’ve been doing more with less—and I’m tired of it.

CBPO [Central Base Personnel Office] doesn’t do more with less; they cut hours.

I can’t even entrust CBPO to have my records accurately transcribed to MPC

[Military Personnel Center]. I have to go to Randolph to make sure my records

aren’t botched. Finance doesn’t do more with less; they close at 15:00. The hospital

doesn’t do more with less. They cut hours, cut services, and are rude to my

dependents to boot. Maintenance doesn’t do more with less; they MND [maintenance

non delivery] and SUD [supply delete] and take 2.5 to turn a clean F–4.

Everybody but the fighter pilot has figured out the fundamental fact that you

can’t do more with less—you do less. (And everybody but the fighter pilot gets

away with it ...when’s the last time the head of CBPO was fired because a man’s

records were a complete disaster?) But on the other hand, when was the last time

anyone in the fighter game told higher headquarters, “We can’t hack 32 DOCs

[designated operational capability] because we can’t generate the sorties?’’

Anyway—I thought I could do it just like all the rest thought they could...and we

did it for a while…but now it’s too much less to do too much more, and a lot of

us are tired. And it’s not the job. I’ve been TDY [on temporary duty] to every

dirty little outpost on democracy’s frontier that had a 6,000-foot strip. I’ve been

gone longer than most young jocks have been in—and I don’t mind the duty or

the hours. That’s what I signed up for. I’ve been downtown and seen the elephant,

and I’ve watched my buddies roll up in fireballs—I understand—it comes with

the territory. I can do it. I did it. I can still do it—but I won’t. I’m too tired, not

of the job, just the Air Force. Tired of the extremely poor leadership and motivational

ability of our senior staffers and commanders. (All those Masters and

PMEs [professional military educators] and not a leadership trait in sight!) Once

you get past your squadron CO [Commanding Officer], people can’t even

pronounce esprit de corps.

Even a few squadron COs stumble over it. And let me

clue you—in the fighter business when you’re out of esprit, you’re out of corps—

to the tune of 22,000 in the next five years, if you follow the airline projections.

And why? Why not? Why hang around in an organization that rewards excellence

with no punishment? Ten years in the Air Force, and I’ve never had a DO or Wing

Commander ask me what our combat capability is, or how our exposure times are

running during ops, or what our air-to-air loss and exchange ratios are—no, a lot

of interest in boots, haircuts, scarves, and sleeves rolled down, but zero—well,

maybe a query or two on taxi spacing—on my job: not even a passing pat on the

ass semiannually. If they’re not interested, why should I be so fanatical about it?

It ought to be obvious I’m not in it for the money. I used to believe—and now

they won’t even let me do that.

And what about career? Get serious! A string of nine-fours and ones as long

as your arm, and nobody can guarantee anything. No matter that you’re the Air

Force expert in subject Y…if the computer spits up your name for slot C—you’re

gone. One man gets 37 days to report remote—really now, did someone slit his

wrists or are we that poor at managing? Another gets a face-to-face, no-changefor-

six-months-brief from MPC…two weeks later? You got it—orders in his in

basket. I’m ripe to PCS—MPC can’t hint where or when; I’ve been in too long

to take the luck of the draw—I’ve worked hard, I’ve established myself, I can do

the job better than anyone else—does that make a difference? Can I count on

progression? NO. At 12–15 hours a day on my salary at my age, I don’t need that

insecurity and aggravation. And then the big picture—the real reasons we’re

all pulling the handle—it’s the organization itself. A noncompetitive training

system that allows people in fighters that lack the aptitude or the ability to do

the job. Once they’re in, you can’t get them out…not in EFLIT, not in RTU,

and certainly not in an operational squadron. We have a fighter pilot shortfall—

didn’t you hear? So now we have lower quality people with motivation

problems, and the commander won’t allow anyone to jettison them.

If you haven’t noticed, that leaves us with a lot of people in fighters, but very few fighter pilots,

and the ranks of both are thinning; the professionals are dissatisfied and most of

the masses weren’t that motivated to begin with. MPC helps out by moving Lts

every 12–15 months or so—that way nobody can get any concentrated training

on them before they pull the plug. Result: most operational squadrons aren’t

worth a damn. They die wholesale every time the Aggressors deploy—anybody

keep score? Anybody care? Certainly not the whiz kid commander, who blew in

from 6 years in staff, picked up 100 hours in the bird, and was last seen checking

the grass in the sidewalk cracks. He told his boys, “Don’t talk to me about tactics—

my only concern is not losing an aircraft…and meanwhile, get the grass

out of the sidewalk cracks!”—and the clincher—integrity. Hide as much as you

can…particularly from the higher headquarters that could help you if only they

knew. They never will though—staff will see to that: “Don’t say that to the

general!” or “The general doesn’t like to hear that.” I didn’t know he was paid

to like things—I thought he was paid to run things…how can he when he never

hears the problems? Ah well, put it off until it becomes a crisis—maybe it will be

overcome by events. Maybe if we ignore it, it won’t be a problem. (Shh, don’t

rock the boat). Meanwhile, lie about the takeoff times, so it isn’t an ops or maintenance

late. (One more command post to mobile call to ask subtly if I gave the

right time because “ahh, that makes him two minutes late,” and I will puke!)

Lie about your DOC capability because you’re afraid to report you don’t have the

sorties to hack it. “Yes, sir, losing two airplanes won’t hurt us at all.” The party

line. I listened to a three-star general look a room full of us in the face and say

that he “Didn’t realize that pencil-whipping records was done in the Air Force.

Holloman, and dive toss was an isolated case, I’m sure.” It was embarrassing—

that general looked us in the eye and said, in effect, “Gentlemen, either I’m very

stupid or I’m lying to you.” I about threw in the towel right there—or the day

TAC fixed the experience ratio problem by lowering the number of hours needed

to be experienced. And then they insult your intelligence to boot. MPC looks

you straight in the eye and tells you how competitive a heart-of-the-envelope

three is!…and what a bad deal the airlines offer! Get a grip—I didn’t just step

off the bus from Lackland! And then the final blow, the Commander of TAC

arrives—does he ask why my outfit goes 5 for 1 against F–5s and F–15s when

most of his operational outfits run 1 for 7 on a good day? (Will anybody let us

volunteer the information?) Does he express interest in why we can do what we

do and not lose an airplane in five years? No—he’s impressed with shoe shines

and scarves and clean ashtrays. (But then we were graciously allotted only minimum

time to present anything—an indication of our own wing’s support of the

program. Party line, no issues, no controversy—yes, sir; no, sir; three bags full,

sir.)…And that’s why I’m resigning…long hours with little support, entitlements

eroded, integrity a mockery, zero visible career progression, and senior commanders

evidently totally missing the point (and everyone afraid or forbidden to

inform them.) I’ve had it—life’s too short to fight an uphill battle for commanders

and staffs who won’t listen (remember Corona Ace?) or don’t believe or

maybe don’t even care. So thanks for the memories, it’s been a real slice of

life…. But I’ve been to the mountain and looked over and I’ve seen the big picture—

and it wasn’t of the Air Force.

“This is your captain speaking…on your left you should be able to see

Denver, Colorado, the mile…”

Capt Ronald Keys

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4
Sorry brother, I have to disagree.

What this speaks to is a loss of connection between those at the top and those doing the mission every single day. The cry from the top has been that there is a loss of focus and a culture of complacency. I vehemently do not agree with that assessment. Instead, I would argue there is a culture of "we are worn the ###### out".

You know, I agree with almost 100% of the rest of your post. When I wrote 'Culture of Complacency', I didn't imply that anybody is slacking off. Everybody is running their asses off, and that's part of the problem. The other part of the problem is that we have way, way too many rules to follow. Inevitably, we're forced to choose what we can do, and the rest we'll get to when we can. Sometimes this will bite us in the ass. This isn't a 'bag vs. shoe' problem; it's killing all of us and if we snipe at eachother from our 'tribes', we will fail. So let me list the REAL issues the CSAF needs to address:

1. Policy Reform. Like I said above, we have way too many rules to follow. The sheer volume alone is overwhelming. The vast majority, however, are not used except in for some esoteric reasons. The minority that we do use frequently are poorly written, are written to avoid risk at all costs, and aren't measured for their impact on people and resources. So who's writing this stuff? This leads to...

2. Air Staff Reform. If you haven't read the 'Lack of rated dudes for staffs' thread, it explains a lot of #1 above. Quite frankly, it scare me that completely unqualified people are writing the policies we all are supposed to follow. Furthermore Air Staff too often becomes an echo chamber for some GO's "good" idea, and the real experts are overidden by careerist hunting for their next promotion. This leads to...

3. Promotion Reform. The promotion system is supposed to identify those best qualified to lead. Instead rewards those with better connections versus those with better experience. The way to get ahead has become not taking risks, never giving a dissenting opinion, and above all else taking credit for any success you can even tangentially claim. What you eventually wind up with is senior leadership that doesn't know how to handle failure because they've never taken a real risk, and are convinced of their own superiority because they have amazing ideas that everyone loves. It's self-reinforcing. They eventual start believing that because they write the rules, the rules don't apply to them.

I believe all the problems in the USAF flow from these three issues. For example, lots of people here have mentioned equipment problems. Yet every year I've personally seen MILLIONS wasted at the end of each Fiscal Year in a beaureacratic spending orgy to preserve budgets. Another example: we'd probably would be recieving the new tanker by now if Darleen Druyun didn't whore herself out to Boeing.

Blues on Mondays is a start, however the CSAF needs dig deeper. This was just one decision that was made in August, there are several more in the pipeline. I believe he'll drop some more bombs at the AFA Convention in two weeks.

Well, flying well and focusing on the mission is leading by example... for the pilots and aircrew you fly with (for those of us with crews). The finance guy never sees it. The MPF guy never sees it. TMO never sees it. So how is it leading by example? All they ever see is your professionalism when you're not flying. That professional image is damaged if we A) bitch B) wear sloppy blues or C) forget to demonstrate it in a manner they can actually see.

If all we ever do is talk about what great pilot-type mission hackers we are, and don't back it up when we're not flying (however good you are in the air), they just write us off as full-of-ourselves douche-bag pilots... and then feel no desire to support us beyond the bare minimum required... which is what most of them do.

Sh!t needs to change, but change starts with us. Not Schwartz, not Obama, but with you and me.

Damn. As much as I feel what CH is putting out, I have to say that Buddha has some good fruit for thought here.

What seventh ring of hell have I slipped into?

Let me say this so there is no confusion: "IT'S NOT MY JOB TO SET THE EXAMPLE TO THE GUYS AT FINANCE, MPF OR TMO!!!!" You want to know whose job it is to lead them by example? It's the NCO's and supervisors that work at those offices every day. If they can't lead well while wearing BDU/ABU's, what the hell makes you think wearing blues is going to make any difference? The uniform does not make the man, his actions do!!!!!! (And before anyone tries to jump on the "you shouldn't say it's not your job" bandwagon, my point is that, with regards to the setting the example, the root cause of the failure is supervisor and NCO's without a spine (regardless of uniform). The crack pipe fix is let's where blues to get back to standards. The real debrief lesson should be to let the hammer fall and actually HOLD PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS, OR LACK THERE OF.) I had a DO in my last Ops squadron that, if I was tasked to fly on his wing, for a two-ship mission to Tehran with nothing but BDU-33's (25lb practice bombs) on board, I would. And let me tell you, it had nothing to do with what uniform he wears, its becuase his actions let everyone know that he was the pulse of the operations of that squaron, and I would follow him anywhere, even if he was wearing a clown suit!

As for the professinal image I present to finance/MPF/TMO when I am not flying, what the f@ck does my uniform have to do with it? It does not (and should not) matter what uniform I am wearing when I walk into finance to file a travel voucher. I am still going to address them as Rank/Last name when addressing them, and I imagine they will do the same to me, or call me Sir, regardless of if I am wearing my bag or my blues. It's not like if I'm in my flight suit, I'm going to act like a clown and talk down to them, but if I am in my blues, I am going to be the picture of officership and treat them with nothing but respect.

I just don't see the connection between the uniform I wear and how that translates to the message I am sending to my subordinates.

Cap-10 :flag_waving: