Being the SRO at SERE

Ram

Any of my fellow FAIPs here can assure you: Becoming a FAIP means a few extra kicks to the gonads. It's a fact of life.

"Ah...2Lt Xxxxxx...you're going to need another 'fuge ride before you can become a T-3X IP...since you're not a MWS guy..."

"Ah...2Lt Xxxxxx...we don't have any SERE slots available right now...so you'll have to wait until one opens up..."

"Ah...1Lt Xxxxxx...still no SERE slots available in the near future...so maybe you'll just have to go at the completion of your FAIP tour."

"Ah...Capt Xxxxxx...we finally have a SERE slot for you! Aren't you happy now?"

"Ah...Capt Xxxxxx...are you ready for your THIRD 'fuge ride? This one will be fun...it's your qualification ride. Enjoy!"

So you can see my predicament. The chances of this T-38 FAIP (and soon to be IFF and F-16FTU stud) becoming the SRO at Fairchild are about the same as the chances of the Finance office being closed for "training." I'm saying they're pretty damn high.

Sigh...I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll be the SRO while I'm there.

Most of the members here have already been there, done that (maybe not as the SRO). I figured this would be a great time to get some advice. Even if you weren't a Capt while you were in the field, I'm sure you have some thoughts on how to be a good SRO.

Feel free to chuck spears at the SRO that YOU had while you were there. His/her folly = my learning.

I don't want to have this thread fill with any compromising information, nor do I want a "how to" guide for surviving RT. I'm sure I'll get an "education" while I'm there. Let's just keep this thread about general things an SRO can do to make life easier on his fellow airmen in the field.

Thanks in advance. :beer:

Edited by Fury220

I remember that my SRO would not identify himself as the SRO... and none of us would dime him out either. If he had just identified himself as the SRO it would have saved us a lot of ass-pain. However, he was trying to play the game like the rest of us the whole time (keep the limelight off of himself) instead of stepping up and taking responsibility as SRO.

Also, when an opportunity arose for me to covertly pass info to the SRO about our fellow airmen, he didnt accept it at all. Overall, he was a d-bag.

Guest mjk5401

You forgot to mention about all the studs in UPT that you hooked, who hate you for life, and made it through SERE before you. They wrote your name down and left it with (insert bad ass SERE guys name here)!! lol.

That's the worse part about FAIPing, not that you may be SRO at SERE or 3 fuge rides. In the chance you are SRO (you may or may not be) think out side of the box. The biggest thing I saw was getting caught up in the game and not thinking. It makes sense at the end (hind-sight-20/20). Don't be afraid, you know it's going to suck, just step up and take charge. You seem like a smart guy from your post, I'm sure you won't have a problem.

Fury

You're only a young Captain....I'll bet you a round (when you finally get to Luke :beer: ) that you aren't the SRO. It's possible, but I'd bet that there'll be someone there more senior than you. An element leader, for sure, but you might not be the most senior one there.

Random story: my SRO when I went to SERE was a female LtCol Intel officer. She was getting some backseat Viper rides into badguy land, so they made her go to SERE. Her life just flat out sucked......

Fury

You're only a young Captain....I'll bet you a round (when you finally get to Luke :beer: ) that you aren't the SRO. It's possible, but I'd bet that there'll be someone there more senior than you. An element leader, for sure, but you might not be the most senior one there.

I'll take you up on that bet once you offer some good advice. :nob:

BTW...I just got back from the 'fuge. Good times! (Not really as bad as I thought it would be...kinda fun, actually...)

1. Don't forget about your Airmen's (and women's) basic needs when "playing the game". I won't spoil the fun any further, you'll find out the hard way if you forget. Remember the basics...

2. Remember ALL of your Airmen, not just the ones within your line of sight.

3. WHEN you forget something, don't get wrapped around the axle over it to the point you can't comprehend your name as it's being screamed at you by a large evil-minded foul-tempered person.

Don't be afraid, you know it's going to suck, just step up and take charge.

Damn good advice right there.

Enjoy!!

Fury...

Been a few years since this old fart went through the SERE "learning to bleed" pain, but don't fear the Reaper!

Like Jarhead said,...remember ALL your folks! If you are the SRO, fess up and take command early,...it may save your folks some pain,...literally.

If you like the outdoors and rough'in it,...it may not seem sooooo bad to you.

If you are a Zoomie,...the "mind fvck" may resemble parts of your past, only magnified to the power of 10 or so.

If you are the SRO, just worry about getting your folks through the process and don't let yourself get caught up in the general baffoonery that's being laid upon you. Some parts will definately suck more than others. You are going to "screw the pooch" more than once, just press on and live to fight another battle. Remember,..."Airman Snuffy" is looking up to you for guidance, faith, and leadership in a shitty environment.

My ultimate 2 cents....if you are the SRO, DO NOT do as my SRO did and piss, whine, moan, and bitch about being treated "like such" because I am an "O / xxxx driver" and "you'll treat me with more respect than that." I'm not implying you'll demonstrate this behavior at all bro, but you may see it exhibited and you need to crush it quick if you do. The folks at Fairchild do a great job of doing what they do and they've seen douches like that time and time again! If the SRO demonstrates this type of behavior, it may or may not make things suck more for the folks under his or her command.

On a side note, my field bud was a viper driver and me a herk bum and we tried to have a blast and keep the folks around us as upbeat as possible,...even had to counsel (is that the right use?) our SRO a few times to quit being a pvss and suck it up for the fellas.

Since you're a young Capt,...I'd say chances are you won't be the SRO, but you won't know till you get there. If you're not, support the dude or chick who is, because they'll need all the help they can get.

If you are lucky enough to be the SRO (sarcasism intended), tighten up the straps, push it up, and ask for more "cow bell" cause you're going to need it!

Wow, deja-vu! In just over the last year I went to the 'fuge, IFF, F-16 FTU, and SERE all after being a FAIP and in that order. So... I was SRO at SERE and was probably considered a "d-bag" by some people but who cares at this point because i'm in the CAF and exempt from TAMI. In all seriousness though, there is no guarantee you will be SRO, I only was because I went post-FTU and the 4 other Capts were just leaving their FAIP tours. My advice would be to tell the Lt's to shut their mouth and tell the young enlisted troops to speak up more. In my experience the Lts (obviously not all encompassing, some good dudes and some oxygen thiefs) would think they had the best idea and be confrontational about it or implement something without using the chain which would turn bad regardless of how good their idea/plan actually was. As for the young "E's", they often had brilliant ideas but STFU because, "I'm just an airman." I also think that they were thinking about things differently since they weren't feeling the pressure of their decision affecting all 80 "prisoners." Anyways, the flashbacks are getting too much to handle for now but if you want any advice/"war stories" from any of your upcoming adventures just let me know since I recently finished everything you have coming up.

Since you have been a FAIP, you have had the opportunity, I assume, to watch many SROs trying to make it through UPT. The same principles apply so hopefully you have been watching them throughout your stay. SERE is only an amplified situation, but UPT presents many of the same problems to solve. Good luck!

If you are a Zoomie,...the "mind fvck" may resemble parts of your past, only magnified to the power of 10 or so.

Keep in mind that when they're yelling at you and you're in some stressful position, and they're looking for an answer, SOUND OFF.

Never forget it's a training environment, despite how intense it may get.

Enjoy probably one of the best tasting meals of your life while you are at survival. Wash it down with a Moose Drool!

"I am Spartacus!"

You're forgetting about all the late rated Pilots, Navs, ABMer's and possibly prior Enlisted STO/CRO's that might be in your class. My SRO was a Reserve CRO and they beat the shit out of him. But he sorta liked it. Good luck, I'll buy you beer at the Final Point if you're there when I get back from the desert in a few weeks.

Our SRO was a full bird somehow involved with the Airborne Laser project...never did give us the whole story about why he was going throgh SERE so late (he was a Space & Missiles guy, but I guess since he's flying now SERE had to be done).

Just...think carefully about your options before you answer questions. Not only how they're phrased, but actually think about the courses of action available to you, and don't dismiss any out of hand because you think your captors won't agree.

Our SRO was an ANG Maj who had just crossed over from the Navy. He gained our respect b/c he owned up to his responsibility and faced the music. He got the crap kicked out of him but b/c he didn't show weakness, we all listened up when he spoke. I bet you won't be the SRO either, but who knows. Good luck!

Guest LocoF16

I was late rated and thought for sure I would be SRO, but lo and behold some Intel major from the Idaho ANG got the job. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but one thing he was good at was knowing how to listen to others' ideas and using the right people for the various jobs. Even if you aren't the SRO, you'll probably be an element leader and there will probably be some A1C in your group who was an eagle scout and might actually be smarter than you. Finding your PJs and CCTs is usually a smart move as well.

I was late rated and thought for sure I would be SRO, but lo and behold some Intel major from the Idaho ANG got the job. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but one thing he was good at was knowing how to listen to others' ideas and using the right people for the various jobs. Even if you aren't the SRO, you'll probably be an element leader and there will probably be some A1C in your group who was an eagle scout and might actually be smarter than you. Finding your PJs and CCTs is usually a smart move as well.

If only the entire AF worked that way.

As an aside, funny story...

I was in charge of leading folks out to dump their honey buckets. When I stepped up to the pipe (those who have been there know) I thought to myself "WOW if i dump this from here I'm going to get piss all over myself". So I changed my angle on the pipe and dumped away, low and behold my piss flew out of the bag all over the instructors. Sucked for me but it raised the morale of everyone in line and it focused their attention on me and me alone, leaving the others to go unnoticed.

Botom line...Take care of your people like you should and you'll come out on top.

Cooter

I was an element leader during SERE. I had a CRO SSgt that was shit hot at out-doors stuff and putting his boot in the ass of a slacker airman we had. A good NCO in the field is indispensable. The E's will keep you out of trouble up there if you let them.

My bud was SRO and I was No. 2 (pun intended), we were both 7 yr ABM captains.

Man up (gender neutral term), listen/encourage your folks to offer suggestions when there's time, and realize that there is an end date for the course.

Hardest part for me - and the instructors picked up on it right away - was how difficult it was for me to watch junior folks get 'abused' while the 'bad guys' were trying to get info from me.

Seconding about taking an opportunity for a cheap shot at the 'man' being a good morale booster for the troops.

Oh, and try not to get a city kid from Cleveland as your field partner (right, Shakes, if you happen to be reading this? ;-) )

Don't worry. Chances are there will be plenty of enlisted females to torture instead of you. I think those guys really enjoy beating up girls.

I went to ejection water survival after changing planes and it had been five years since I had been to Fairchild. The guy in front sounded really familiar. I closed my eyes and listened to him talk for awhile. He stopped talking for a minute, and I pointed to him, eyes still closed, and said "Bearclaw". You could have heard a pin drop in that room.

He said that he hoped I didn't take it personally.

Don't worry. Chances are there will be plenty of enlisted females to torture instead of you.

Don't forget the flip side of the coin - there will be females to torture you. Get used to that concept now if you're the type who'll have issues with it...