Weird jobs you never thought existed..

Chicken

How is it that people find jobs like "gymnastics coach" at the AFA? Or Jump team pilot at the AFA? Or IP for iraqi student pilots? Is there a book published that I am not aware of?

And I don't suppose that there is any sort of "waiver" that allows a nav to teach AFA cadets to fly a DA20? Or even Iraqis? At this point I'll take anything..

How is it that people find jobs like "gymnastics coach" at the AFA? Or Jump team pilot at the AFA? Or IP for iraqi student pilots? Is there a book published that I am not aware of?

And I don't suppose that there is any sort of "waiver" that allows a nav to teach AFA cadets to fly a DA20? Or even Iraqis? At this point I'll take anything..

Most coaching jobs at AFA, as I recall, are hand selected. The Twin Otter jobs are advertised on the AFPC website, last time I was looking around on there. If you are talking teaching Iraqi's to fly over in the AOR, then I rememeber several years ago when they were coming aorund asking for volunteers to go do it. Those guys were getting the 179 day TDY for that job. Don't forget that Navs were over there too since they were teaching them to fly -130's at the time. No book, but the AFPC website is a good place to start or talk to your CC.

I recently got an email from AFPC asking if I wanted to volunteer to teach pilots at Kirkuk and another place in Iraq.

It was Taji. Not really a great place to move the family.

I get one every month asking if I want to be an OTS instructor in Iraq. WTFO? They actually get volunteers for this crap? How horribly bad would your career have to be to take that one. The one for Kirkuk and Taji sucks slightly less because it's a flying job at least.

I get one every month asking if I want to be an OTS instructor in Iraq. WTFO?

Same here. It seems they switch, first you get the flying one and then you get the OTS one.

I'm glad they send the emails though, it's fine with me if some shoeclerk wants to volunteer in order to get some "trigger time".

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

Air attache (couldn't figure out the special character to put the gay French-ification over the last 'e'). Some require a rated officer (and you get some flying time), some do not. You can get some kick ass language training prior to the posting at Monteray. Some great countries, some not so much.....

Olmstead scholarship (not a 'job' exactly, but a damn good 2-3 year assignment) - been way too long since I knew the details but - you get sent to play student at almost any university in the world with language training ahead of time if req'd, then back to the States to get a US equivalent.

Exchange officer with a multitude of countries - usually, but not always, for rated types

Liaison/exchange with most of the other US Government Departments. Imagine being an exchange bro at State - "F*ck 'em, drop on 'em! That'll speed up the negotiations!"

Air Force Honor Guard CC

'Football' carrier for the Pres

Just some that spring to mind.......

Guest Safe&Clear

Here's one for you: Who are these guys that fly nice jets around the country doing "flight checks" on instrument approach procedures??

Are they FAA, DOT, Air Force, or are there multiple agencies who do this? (This is the US Government we're talking about-- duplication or triplication of effort is the norm.)

Anybody know anyone who's employed doing this? Sounds like a boring job in respect to the flying, but as far as the travel opportunities and the wide variety of micro-breweries one could visit around the country, I'd take it!

Here's one for you: Who are these guys that fly nice jets around the country doing "flight checks" on instrument approach procedures??

Are they FAA, DOT, Air Force, or are there multiple agencies who do this? (This is the US Government we're talking about-- duplication or triplication of effort is the norm.)

Anybody know anyone who's employed doing this? Sounds like a boring job in respect to the flying, but as far as the travel opportunities and the wide variety of micro-breweries one could visit around the country, I'd take it!

If I remember right its FAA. I seem to recall a now retired Major at Vance that was attached to them and flew out of OKC.

Both. FAA and Air Force Flight Standards Agency based at OKC. It is a joint (not sure if in the traditional, joint job meaning) agreement between FAA and USAF. FAA does most of the CONUS stuff, AFFSA does some CONUS and all the overseas stuff- ensuring/recommending airfields and associated procedures meet DoD needs.

Edited to add:

I wouldn't have wanted to do the Honor Guard thing either, but the gayness factor disappears when you see this captain presenting the folded flag to the young wife or the mom of a guy who paid the full tab for Uncle Sam. It is a gut-wrenching thing to watch, I couldn't imagine doing it every day.

Edited by brickhistory

I get an email from AFPC every month asking if I'd like to teach the Iraqis.HD
Same here...
I always laugh at those AFPC robot emails, asking for volunteers on 180-day Iraqi vacations. I wonder what their success rate is in getting volunteers.
We've had a few EWO and Nav types volunteer for some of those spots...God bless em.

I don't know, flying 15 approaches in a King Air would be pretty fvcking boring. What's the pay like?

I'm not sure if they use King Airs. The flight check guys use the FAA's C-29s and AFFSA has a couple of C-21s.

549vzwg.jpg

4yfqngg.jpg

HD

I know brick, I was just stating my complete disgust for a completely gay job.

Rendering final honors to your fellow servicemembers is gay? Providing their families with the feeling that their loved one's service and sacrifice was noble and worthy of special recognition completely disgusts you?

You must be a pretty special Officer to be above all that disgusting gayness.

Rendering final honors to your fellow servicemembers is gay? Providing their families with the feeling that their loved one's service and sacrifice was noble and worthy of special recognition completely disgusts you?

You must be a pretty special Officer to be above all that disgusting gayness.

That's not all the Honor Guard does.

Matter of fact, I was the officer that presented the flag to a servicemembers NOK once. Never been honor guard. Got volun-told. No higher honor as far as I'm concerned.

brabus can speak for himself, but this is the part of the Honor Guard job that I'm fairly sure he was referring to. Being the toy AF soldiers for CSAF at protocol functions and the like would be pretty 'light in the loafers.' If I'm wrong regarding his intent, then sorry......

The FAA has a ton of sweet airframes used for flight checks. When I used to work on Gulfstreams, we had N1 (a G4) stop by. Those guys fly the international flight checks. They have several Gulfstreams, a few Challengers, some CRJs, a Global Express or 2, some Citations, and maybe even a couple 737s IIRC. The dudes that were flying seemed to love it. You can browse the FAA inventory by searching for tail numbers N1-N99.

Matter of fact, I was the officer that presented the flag to a servicemembers NOK once. Never been honor guard. Got volun-told. No higher honor as far as I'm concerned.

It may not be all the Honor Guard does, but conducting funerals at Arlington is the meat and potatoes of the unit. As far as the other stuff is concerned, what's gay about occasionally standing on the South lawn of the White House and providing an overwhelming impression of strength and power to a visiting head of state?

I can understand everyone's misconceptions. Previous exposure to some ROTC drill-team or overzeleous Base Honor Guard member opening doors at the O'club make it easy to see where the stereotype came from.

If you ever got a chance to see those folks perform their primary mission, or spend some time talking with their people, your feeling would be changed.

HD- Glad you got a chance to present the flag once. Amazing experience wasnt it?