Gun Talk

VL-16

That's a no-go. 1911s at that price are going to most likely have a cast steel frame (not necessarily bad if it is a quality cast), cheap internals, and will be poorly fitted. The cast frame is probably not like a quality Caspian cast frame, but I assume it will be adequate. Just realize that the 1911 was originally designed with a forged steel frame. The internals aren't going to be hardened/treated correctly, or are going to be low quality MIM (not all MIM is bad as long as it's quality). It's also a commander, which is inherently a little less reliable than 5" government models. I'm sure it will run out of the box, but if you intend to put any appreciable amount of ammo through it, you will eventually run into problems a lot sooner than a "quality" production 1911, semi-custom, or custom.

If it is going to be strictly a range toy, it might be ok but there are better options to start with. If this is going to be your first 1911 I suggest a decent quality production gun like a Colt Series 70 repro, Colt Series 80, or a Springfield Armory GI/Milspec/Loaded. If you find that you like the 1911 design, you can have it sent to a smith for work as those pistols make good custom guns.

ETA: They're made in the Phillipines, just like Armscor/RIA. That means what I said above holds true.

Edited by Timbonez

I knew it was bound to happen...I just snagged one of these tonight...

TCP_1715.jpg

It was a target of opportunity. I also got eight boxes of ammo for it, so I will see if my hatred for .380 was truly the Kel-Tec P3AT or if it's the round itself!

Range report to follow.

Oh, and tomorrow night I am shooting a Glock 22 (.40) with the SAPD. Should be fun.

Cheers! M2

I got it used from a bud for $250, plus another $80 for eight boxes of ammo (to include one box of JHPs). It had about 200 rounds down it without a single FTF/FTE.

I hated my P3AT, but I have high hopes for the TCP!

Cheers! M2

M2, Cheaper Than Dirt just sent out an email about .380 ammo, $0.29/round. It's probably russian steel cased stuff (I didn't look), but I thought you'd like to know. Remember after the Obama craze .380 ammo was one of the most difficult ammo types to find? If you managed to find some it was expensive as hell.

Edited by Timbonez

200 rds is a good break in. Well done. Interested to hear how well magazine holds slide back after last round fired. That feature is specific to the TCP in this class weapon. LCP has a manual slide lockback only and P3AT has neither.

Crimson Trace should be great for any of them.

HU&W's post reminded me to post on this:

Springfield Armory Champion .45

champion.jpg

note: not my photo

I picked this up about a month ago as the result of an estate sale (at least the gun collection part) handled by one of my local gun shops. Normally, I don't buy used guns unless I know the original owner and his/her reputation, but this exception was due to what looked like a guy with lots of money having a massive gun collection and never/rarely actually fired them. There were some other buys I'd have liked to make, but the wallet bingo light illuminated, so I only picked up the Springfield.

Specs on the gun are:

4" inch bull barrel

8+1 .45 ACP

34 ozs

7.5" length

Like all 1911s for me, the grip of this one was too narrow in girth until I put a set of Pachmyers on it. Now it is a blast (no pun intended) to shoot. The low-profile sights aren't the greatest for precise work, but the low-drag could be a convenience if you need it out in a hurry. I'd rather have a good set of tritium sights, but these are usable.

Not as heavy as my Colt 1911 since it's shorter, this Springfield went through 300 rounds without a hiccup. If I'd had more rounds with me, I could've kept going which is rare for me when using a larger caliber like the .45 or .44. Usually, after a couple hundred, I'm ready to call it a day with that weapon due to recoil and arm fatigue. This one was low-felt recoil yet heavy enough to stay (relatively) down for follow-up shots.

At 7.5 and 15 yards, it was consistent 9 rings. Moving out to 25 yards and the shots were more scattered, but that's a combination of the small sights and 47 year old eyes. Operator weakness, in other words, and not the gun's.

The fit and finish are pretty good, black parkerized with wood grips (replaced on mine as noted above). I picked up a couple of Wilson Combat 8 round clips when I bought with the gun, but my standard 7 round G.I. issue clips work as well.

Is this a Kimber or other high dollar 1911? Nope. I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's Kimber ultra-carry for the first time that same day and have to say "daddy like."

But for a mid-range price, I'm digging this Springfield. Some of them there fancy laser sights (Crimson Trace I think you young 'uns call 'em) would come in handy if this were a daily carry weapon. It's not for me, but I could easily see it being one.

Overall, I like this gun.

P.S. I'm looking forward to M2's review of the TCP. Those micro's are just too small for my paws, but I'm interested to read his thoughts on the .380. I took my PPK/S carrying JHPs to dinner tonight in a front pocket, a first for me.

M2, any idea how long a Mosin Nagant barrel/receiver will last round count wise?

ETA: I'm looking to get a Finn M39 now.

T-bonez

It's most likely lasted 60-100 years now, it'll probably outlast both you and I!

Seriously, I have never heard of anyone shooting out the barrel of a Mosin. Honestly, it'll most likely pit out before it'll wear out.

And I have a Finn M39 and love it. It's the Mosin the Russians should've made! :rock:

Cheers! M2

T-bonez

It's most likely lasted 60-100 years now, it'll probably outlast both you and I!

Seriously, I have never heard of anyone shooting out the barrel of a Mosin. Honestly, it'll most likely pit out before it'll wear out.

And I have a Finn M39 and love it. It's the Mosin the Russians should've made! :rock:

Cheers! M2

Anything will last 60-90 years if you don't shoot it! :sniper: And of course it will outlast you... you've already got a foot in the grave, right old man? I keed, I keed.

I did searches on forums dedicated to surplus rifles, and I couldn't come up with anyone shooting out barrels or receivers on the Mosin Nagant. I was just curious. As for the M39, I hear they're the cadillac of Mosin Nagants, which is probably why I want one. Anyway, when I get this dragoon modified to 91/30 (hopefully the beginning of next week) I'll post a range report.

Edited by Timbonez

Anything will last 60-90 years if you don't shoot it! :sniper: And of course it will outlast you... you've already got a foot in the grave, right old man? I keed, I keed.

It ain't about how old I am, it's about how old I feel/act/look! :rock:

I did searches on forums dedicated to surplus rifles, and I couldn't come up with anyone shooting out barrels or receivers on the Mosin Nagant. I was just curious. As for the M39, I hear they're the cadillac of Mosin Nagants, which is probably why I want one. Anyway, when I get this dragoon modified to 91/30 (hopefully the beginning of next week) I'll post a range report.

If you can score a nice M39 at a decent price (I think I paid $300-350 for mine), you'll be very happy with it! The Finns did some awesome things with that rifle, and they don't have the old Russian mentality of basic and heavy. They knew how to "fine-tune" the Mosin into an excellent rifle. It's worth the price to add one to your collection!

Cheers! M2

My new BCM 14.5" midlength upper came yesterday. Here is the setup:

BCM upper, 14.5" cold hammer forged barrel w/PWS SM556 brake; accepts Gemtech HALO or KAC QDSS-NT4 suppressors

American Spirit Arms lower; pretty much no-name, but I've never had a problem with it after thousands of rounds mated to my LWRC upper

Magpul midlength MOE handguard

Troy diamondhead rear sight; usually meant as a back-up iron sight, but it will be my primary sight for this weapon

SpecOps T.H.E. MAMBA sling; it's not very popular but it has served my needs (I have it setup as a two-point sling)

The ASA lower used to be attached to my LWRC gas piston upper, but I'm looking to sell that upper now. The hokie graphic on the right side of the magwell is kind of lame, but it doesn't doesn't really bother me. Like I already said, the Troy BUIS will be my primary sight, but I may decide to add a RDS, probably an Aimpoint Micro T-1. A weapon light may also be added at a later time. Anyway, to the pics:

I'm going to put 300-400 rounds through it tomorrow.

Edited by Timbonez

Damn, been on a spending spree lately! I haven't even shot the last gun I bought (the TCP), and I go and pick this Romanian SAR-1 at the gun show this morning...

IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

I was looking for a Polish AK-74 Tantal sidefolder but saw this and figured since I have so much 7.62x39 I might as well get it instead!

Cheers! M2

Words... blah, blah, blah

Pics

Words... blah, blah, blah

Cheers! M2

M2, that's a nice looking SAR. Normally you don't find the Romanian stuff in as good of shape as that. Is it a Century (CAI/CIA) import?

Well I got out to the range today and shot the new BCM upper. I put 300rds of Wolf 55gr FMJ and 80rds of Hornady 75gr BTHP. I ran into two hiccups initially. The second round of the first magazine (Wolf) had a feedway stoppage. On that same first mag, the bolt failed to lock back. Wolf is pretty weak, but every other shot for the rest of my range time went bang. All the magazines cooperated and locked back as well. So those two flukes I'm chalking up to the ammo. I'll clean the rifle after my second range trip with it. It should have another 300-400 rounds through it during that time.

I also was able to change out the sights on my Glock. As I mentioned in the review, the stock Glock sights are plastic. That is unsat for a duty/service/ccw weapon IMO. I changed them out for some Heinie plain, black ledge sights. Both the front and rear sight on the pistol are serrated and black. I chose the ledge sights because you can use the rear sight to facilitate racking the slide with one hand on any edged surface. The front sight is also thinner, which allows more light on either side once the sights are lined up (I like this). Pics are of the new sights and me racking the slide with one hand on my wilderness instructor belt. Sorry if the gun looks dirty. It has 250 rounds through it that I haven't bothered to clean yet. I'll have to take it out to the range to make sure my windage is correct.

Also, my Mosin Nagant should be here on Tuesday. I already have a shit ton of ammo waiting for it.

Edited by Timbonez

M2, that's a nice looking SAR. Normally you don't find the Romanian stuff in as good of shape as that. Is it a Century (CAI/CIA) import?

T-bonez

Yeah, it was imported by Century but built by Cugir; a major difference.

SAR-1s are (I am told) "still the only true military issue AK variant allowed into the USA because the ATF goofed on their own infringements when they let it in." The only problem is that to legally import them, the bayonet lugs had to be grounded off, and the barrel is not threaded (but it can be easily done, from what I've read). But that barrel is chromed as is the gas piston, so it should hold up quite nicely!

We might get out to the range tomorrow, if the weather holds up!

Cheers! M2

We took the TCP and SAR-1 out to the range today, and I am happy to report that both performed exceptionally!

First, the TCP. Wow, what can I say? Compared to the Kel-Tec P3AT, it's night and day! Despite being the same size and caliber, the TCP is a lot easier to manage and definitely more accurate! We only put 25 rounds through it (and three different brands of ammo), five of which were JHPs; but it ate everything we fed it! I was concerned prior to shooting it that the JHPs would be a problem, but not so. The slide locking back after the last round is nice (I don't think the LCP does that, and the Kel-Tec didn't even have a way to lock the slide on it!). About the only negative is that it is tough to release the slide lock, but it's easily done by pulling back on the slide to release it so I don't consider that an issue. I'd recommend anyone looking for a pocket pistol to check out the TCP, I haven't shot a LCP but I don't see how it could beat the Taurus!

As for the SAR-1, it shot like a champ as well! It has a little trigger-slap to it (as do most AKs that don't have G2 trigger groups on them), but that was about it. It shot well (just a tad low), put nice round hole in the target (no keyholing), and about the only thing I might have to do to it is put a para chord wrap on the stock for a better cheek weld. Outside of that, I'm very happy with it!

Cheers! M2

I made it to the range today, and put another 300 rounds of Wolf 55gr FMJ ammo through my new BCM with no problems. That makes it a total of 680 rounds in two days, so I decided to clean it. I really like the recoil impulse on the 14.5" barrel with midlength gas system. It's the softest shooting AR I have ever shot. The SM556 brake also helps, but I feel bad for anyone who decides to stand next to me when I'm firing. I hip fired the AR for about 5-10 shots to see if I could notice any difference with the brake, and there was some serious pressure being pushed out the sides of brake; but that's to be expected from a brake. I also put 150 rounds through the Glock to check the windage on the new sights I installed. I made a minor adjustment, and they worked great. With that said, I have put 1574 rounds through it since I bought the pistol 2 months ago. It's becoming one of my favorite pistols.

Thanks M2, I'll have to make my way back to the gun shop. Now how to explain to the wife why I needed to buy two guns during the same pay period :)

Porkchop, if it helps tell her I'm actually making three gun purchases in a one-week period...the TCP, the SAR-1 and a Yugo SKS with the name 'Natasha' carved into the stock that I am picking up on Tuesday because I am a sucker for trench art!

IMG00076-20110217-0736.jpg

But this information is classified SECRET//NOFRAU! :thumbsup:

Cheers! M2

Timbonez, if you really want to cut the recoil back consider a piston kit. The piston AR's I have fired recoiled similar to the ones with a 22LR kit. It's ridiculous.

Your experience notwithstanding, this is a myth. Felt recoil is a subjective phenomenon, but the piston rifles have more mass being thrown back into one's shoulder. You have the BCG as well as the piston, op rod and other piston parts all moving at the same time in the same direction. It's also hard on the lugs of the bolt because you don't have the gas from the fired cartridge unlocking the bolt from the barrel extension. Instead the rear of the bolt lugs drag more on the extension creating a point of stress and more felt recoil. I mentioned before that I have a LWRC gas piston upper with a couple thousand rounds through it, and I decided that I am going to sell it. It was fun, but I believe the DI system is better for the AR-15. The design wasn't meant to use a gas piston system.

Edited by Timbonez

Crazy.

The one I shot felt like a toy after shooting my 16" mid length AR.

I guess it varies a lot. I think his was a 14.5 upper. So it was apples to oranges.

But a 5.56 AR has such pitiful recoil it should never be an issue anyway.

Crazy.

The one I shot felt like a toy after shooting my 16" mid length AR.

I guess it varies a lot. I think his was a 14.5 upper. So it was apples to oranges.

But a 5.56 AR has such pitiful recoil it should never be an issue anyway.

Yeah 5.56 is a pussycat, and felt recoil is subjective to the shooter. It's what's going on inside the AR that changes from DI to piston.

ETA: I'm surprised his was softer shooting than your 16" midlength. The 16" (and 14.5") barrel on the midlength is the current craze on M4c. How much have you used the action spring, and what kind of buffer are you using? These play a role too.

Edited by Timbonez