Gun Talk

VL-16

On 5/21/2021 at 4:57 PM, HeloDude said:

Looks like Texas Constitutional Carry might actually happen…

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/20/texas-constitutional-carry/

Fuck yeah!

That said, a bunch of my LEO buds are actually against it.  I really don't understand why, very few criminals are trained in the safe use of firearms, and anyone who's been through the CHL/LTC process knows the requirements are so basic they're basically useless!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally.

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/U-S-judge-overturns-California-s-ban-on-16226551.php

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A federal judge has overturned California’s three-decade-old ban on assault weapons, calling it a “failed experiment” that violates people's constitutional right to bear arms.

U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego ruled on Friday that the state’s definition of illegal military-style rifles unlawfully deprives law-abiding Californians of weapons commonly allowed in most other states and by the U.S. Supreme Court.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another win that should force the useless Roberts' "led" Supreme Court to actually decide something.

https://www.rollcall.com/2021/07/13/appeals-court-finds-aged-based-handgun-purchase-ban-unconstitutional/

In a 2-1 ruling, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, based in Richmond, Va., found that the Second Amendment’s right to keep and bear arms is no different from other constitutional rights that start at age 18, so the government must have a justification to restrict that right.

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2021 at 8:41 AM, HeloDude said:

On the bright side we have seen several states pass Second Amendment Preservation Act bills into law this year, reasserting our U.S. Constitution's 10th amendment. Texas is finally equal to where other states have been firearm-law wise for awhile. Glad to see they'll be able to manufacture suppressors soon (next month?).

Edited by dogfish78

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

Ammo prices were finally starting to come down...another year of Chaos.

He can’t get any new gun control laws passed through Congress (thank God)…so he has to throw a little bone to his left wing base when he can.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:50 AM, TreeA10 said:

Hey, I know where you can get an M-4 and ammo real cheap! Maybe even an Apache helicopter if you have the cash and don't ask too many questions. 

I'm in when do we leave 😁

New commercial coming soon to Al Jazeera: "Hey, all you jihadis! Come on down to our new showroom here at Biden Arms Bizarre and see me, Mad Mahammad, because I'm crazy about making a deal. You want new M-4 automatic rifle to replace that clunky old AK? We got thousands of new and lightly used rifles in stock. Get  the latest in night vision scopes to go with it so you can shoot infidels day or night. I'll even throw in 1000 rounds of ammo free.  Tired of riding that donkey to set roadside bombs? I've got over 2000 armored and 70,000 other vehicles ready to move! Whether you are taking your jihadis to work or that special goat on a date, we have the vehicle to fit your lifestyle. And check these out. 40 Blackhawk helicopters, low hours, and completely loaded. We also have Apache attack helicopters and Tucano A-29 attack aircraft!  Be the envy of the terrorists on your block when you go searching for Christians with one of these bad boys. And you can find those infidels using one of these ScanEagle drones! Perfect for reconnaissance or seeing what Abduls new child bride looks like without a burka....but you didn't hear that from me.  We didn't forget the refreshments! Stop by the Aloha Snack bar where your first shot is always free! So what are you waiting for? Come see me, Mad Mohammad, at Bidens Arms Bizzarre today!"

• Haha 2

I am waiting for the first Federal court challenge to Texas' new suppressor law which went into effect on 1 Sep...

House Bill 957 repeals the criminal offense of possessing, manufacturing, transporting, or repairing a firearm silencer. It also ensures that any firearm suppressor manufactured in Texas, and that remains in Texas, will not be subject to federal law or federal regulation.

https://americansuppressorassociation.com/asa-statement-texas-silencer-legislation-hb-957/

https://thetexan.news/texas-made-suppressors-still-subject-to-federal-law-atf-warns/

Speaking of which, House Bill 1927 which authorizes Constitutional Carry in Texas, meaning law-abiding Texans can legally carry a handgun without a license to carry, also went into effect this past Wednesday!  God bless Texas! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 11:32 AM, M2 said:

I am waiting for the first Federal court challenge to Texas' new suppressor law which went into effect on 1 Sep...

https://americansuppressorassociation.com/asa-statement-texas-silencer-legislation-hb-957/

https://thetexan.news/texas-made-suppressors-still-subject-to-federal-law-atf-warns/

Speaking of which, House Bill 1927 which authorizes Constitutional Carry in Texas, meaning law-abiding Texans can legally carry a handgun without a license to carry, also went into effect this past Wednesday!  God bless Texas! 

At this point the Federal courts can tongue our collective anus. All legitimacy about firearms laws they have pretended to have is crumbling before their tyrannical eyes. States asserting their U.S. Constitutional 10th amendment rights are what’s going to save this nation. God bless the U.S.A. Tyrants get the rope.

• 4 weeks later...

Dig out your checkbooks, guys!  🤪🤪🤪

https://www.springfield-armory.com/sa-35-series-handguns/sa-35-handguns/

It’s had many names in its century-old history and today, we reimagine this renowned design for modern use. Based on one of the most prolific and popular pistols in small arms history, the Springfield Armory SA-35 gives today’s shooters a modern take on a revered design. Featuring subtle but significant upgrades to John Moses Browning’s original P-35, the 9mm SA-35 captures the appeal of the “wood and steel” era of arms making while offering the upgraded enhancements of today’s defensive pistols. Made in the U.S.A., the SA-35 features rugged forged steel parts for strength and durability, improved ergonomics and enhanced controls, modern sights, an improved feed ramp design, and an increased 15-round capacity. The factory-tuned trigger benefits greatly from the removal of the magazine disconnect found in the original P-35 design allowing for a smooth pull and crisp, clean break. Call it a legend, call it an icon, but whatever you do, don’t call it a classic.

• Like 1

Don't do this, but if you do:

TLDR:  If you inadvertently bring a firearm and try to go through an airport TSA checkpoint, TSA imposes civil penalties (primarily a fine, but more issues below).  They will call law enforcement who will decide if any criminal activity is involved.  Highly jurisdiction dependent.

STORY:  Wife flew to east bumfcuk Louisiana to visit her parents.  (I'd rather take a bullet than spend time with them...).  She drove them from there to Memphis, TN.  Since she flew, she left her concealed carry weapon at home.  

Once in Louisiana, however, and knowing Memphis' reputation, she took her Dad's .38 as a just in case.

Trip over, she flew from tiny airport in Lafayette, LA back to TX.  Except she forgot about her Dad's .38 as it was not in her normal routine and place in her purse.

TSA caught it, wife admitted the mistake, showed contrition, embarrassment, and accepted responsibility.  As I wrote, this is a small airport and this was the first found firearm in anyone present's memory.  Sheriff's deputy on duty questioned her, took and unloaded the .38, they called FBI for background check (wife is retired USAF O-5), kept the gun, let her proceed.  She was not arrested nor issued any citation.

AFTERMATH:  TSA issues a Notice of Violation (NOV) anywhere between 10 days and 2 years after incident.  NOV spells out facts and options for violators.  Note, as this is administrative law,  you only have to be found to have done the act.  Intent/mitigating factors do not enter into the finding.

Max fine can be up to $13,000 based on entirety of circumstances, how the miscreant acted (hence the take responsibility/act embarrassed advice above.  Entirely different, of course, if law enforcement reads you your rights and arrests you.)

TSA increases the fine based on various factors - were you using the pre-check line?  Add money to fine.  Was there a round in the chamber?  Add to fine (oddly, different rule for revolver, no additional fine).  Repeat offense?  Ca-ching!  (Should never be a first one, let alone follow-on idiocy...but stuff happens, I guess).

If in pre-check program, likely to be kicked out for 36 months

The NOV lists the offense and offers to "settle" your case for a reduced fine if you pay it immediately and don't chose any option that drags this out for them.

We hired a retired TSA lawyer who specializes in this stuff.  He, while working for TSA, helped write the administrative law that he's now making bank off of defending.  Pretty good gig on both ends of that...

Paid his fee of $400 and listened to his advice which was let him handle it by contacting TSA who reduced the "pay it now" fee by one-half.  So all in, this was a $1,600 dollar mistake by my thoroughly embarrassed wife.

Could've been so much worse as the initial "pay it now" fine was $2,500, or up to around $5,000 if we'd protested and lost.  According to lawyer, no further ramifications, i.e., no-fly list, enhanced screening, further federal law enforcement scrutiny, etc., are likely.  

She goes back to LA in December and will pick up the .38 from the Sheriff's department with no further action required.

So don't do this.  

Another reason why I am against any kind of concealed carry where the weapon is not on my person.

A guy I work with (a retired USN helo driver) had the same happen to him.  Inadvertently left a LCP in his luggage and TSA shit themselves over it.  Eventually it came down to paying a fine but no record, ban list, etc.

I get TSA's weekly report which includes such incidents.  I estimate about 95% it is accidental with no nefarious intent.  It's ridiculous that such a big deal is made out of it, but that's TSA in a nutshell, isn't it?   A bunch of show but no real deterrence.   I am always amused when I get travel advice from their "experts" who don't look like they've roamed more than 150 miles from where they grew up.

Sorry to hear your wife had to go through such an ordeal!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, M2 said:

A guy I work with (a retired USN helo driver) had the same happen to him.  Inadvertently left a LCP in his luggage and TSA shit themselves over it.  Eventually it came down to paying a fine but no record, ban list, etc.

I get TSA's weekly report which includes such incidents.  I estimate about 95% it is accidental with no nefarious intent.  It's ridiculous that such a big deal is made out of it, but that's TSA in a nutshell, isn't it?   A bunch of show but no real deterrence.   I am always amused when I get travel advice from their "experts" who don't look like they've roamed more than 150 miles from where they grew up.

Sorry to hear your wife had to go through such an ordeal!

In 2015, agents with Department of Homeland Security posing as passengers snuck fake explosives through the security lines of several of the nation's busiest airports. During the test, TSA officers missed 67 of the 70 fake weapons that went through the checks — a failure rate of 95%

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/12/20/whistleblower-says-tsa-is-trading-speed-for-security/

• 4 weeks later...