Gun Talk

VL-16

I got my Mosin Nagant today. No pics of my own yet... deal with it. The rifle came dripping in cosmoline, especially the chamber, bolt, and magazine. I only have had experience with cosmoline once before and that was in my Yugo SKS a couple years ago. The difference was most of it is/was in a very, viscous liquid form on the Nagant, whereas the Yugo's cosmoline was mostly congealed to a jelly-like consistency. Anyway, I'll clean and lubricate the rifle sometime this week and take it shooting Saturday or Sunday. At that time, I'll provide an initial range report.

Classification level noted!!! She'll never notice one more in the safe. :notworthy:

I don't know if M2's wife is the same way, but mine probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the SIG P225 I bought for her with any of my other handguns.

ETA: M2, if she finds out about this purchase, is she going to want to know who Natasha is and why "you" carved her name in your rifle?

Edited by Timbonez

I don't know if M2's wife is the same way, but mine probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the SIG P225 I bought for her with any of my other handguns.

ETA: M2, if she finds out about this purchase, is she going to want to know who Natasha is and why "you" carved her name in your rifle?

Actually, SWMBO quit worrying about other women years ago; now she's more concerned about the number of guns I have (she thinks they total around 20! You can bet your ass I don't correct her on that! :nob:)

But my Frau is like yours, couldn't tell an AK from a Mosin; it's my overly talkative 13-yr-old son who's the OPSEC nightmare! :bash:

This probably should go in the "WTF?' thread, but since it's gun related I'm posting it here...

Keep an eye on the third guy from the left in the front row, starting at about :40 in this video:

MF'er barely flinched! eek.gif

I don't know WTF kind of firing party that is, I've never seen one shoot straight up from the shoulder like that! :bash:

Cheers! M2

Actually, SWMBO quit worrying about other women years ago; now she's more concerned about the number of guns I have (she thinks they total around 20! You can bet your ass I don't correct her on that! :nob:)

It's a good thing she doesn't go to baseops.net!

This probably should go in the "WTF?' thread, but since it's gun related I'm posting it here...

Keep an eye on the third guy from the left in the front row, starting at about :40 in this video:

I am confused. His beret fell off...so?

I am confused. His beret fell off...so?

It didn't fall off. Listen a little more closely and you'll hear the corresponding gunshot behind him! :bash:

On a different note, this is my oldest boy shooting our newly-acquired SAR-1 last Sunday:

Cheers! M2

I think that belongs in the WTF forum for all to see. Firearm safety is very important.

Unrelated, I had won an auction on GB for a SIG P228 and it arrived today. Luckily she has a P225 and I have my P220, so she won't be able to tell the difference, you know because she's a woman and SIGs all have similar lines.

Edited by Timbonez

I always wanted a BAR, but too bad that thing is $4000 MSRP. The most I have ever spent on a firearm was $2910, and I would like to not spend any more than that.

I made it to the range today and put 399 rounds through my Noveske 14.5" carbine, 65rds through the Mosin Nagant, and 250rds through the SIG P228 I mentioned above. I have had the Noveske for about a year now, and it is running pretty good. The recoil impulse is greater than my BCM 14.5" midlength, but that's due to the fact that the BCM has a brake and its gas system is 2 inches longer.

For some reason I ran into 10 failures to fire out of 75 on the Mosin Nagant. It actually took 2-3 tries to ignite the primers on some of the cartridges, but most ignited on the first shot. I looked at the cases and it appears that the primers are sitting a little lower in the pocket. Couple that with the fact that primers on military cartridges are typically harder, and it kind of make sense that they did not fire. The primers all had good indents in them so maybe they were just bad primers. That does not make me happy, and I will have to trouble shoot it some more to verify that it is indeed the ammo and not the rifle. The rifle looked to be in working condition after I detail stripped the bolt and whatnot. The rifle was fun to shoot. There were a few occasions where I didn't have the the buttstock sitting in the pocket of my shoulder (i.e. meaty part), and I paid dearly for it.

Lastly, the SIG P228 ran flawlessly with the 250rds I put through it. I'll put another 500-750 rounds through it before I decide to clean it.

ETA: Forgot to mention that the firing pin protrusion on the Mosin Nagant is over 75 but less than 95, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

Edited by Timbonez

I always wanted a BAR, but too bad that thing is $4000 MSRP. The most I have ever spent on a firearm was $2910, and I would like to not spend any more than that.

I wanted to get one of the OOW BARs about 6 or 7 years ago - it was that or a Barrett M99. I ended up getting the Barrett - I sort of wish I had got the BAR since 30-06 is pretty cheap through the CMP and you can actually shoot it on 99% of the ranges in the US where as the Barrett is fairly limited to the ranges big enough to shoot it on and the ammo is pretty damn expensive. I'd still love to get an OOW BAR though...

My range day today included:

KAC SR15E3

FN SCAR 16

In Range Galil clone

Arsenal SA M7A1R

SW M&P 9

HK P7 PSP

The KAC gun ran great with the Federal XM193 ammo but choked a bit on the underpowered Wolf I was using. The KAC proprietary mid-length set up coupled with the BattleComp made it extremely soft shooting even with the more powerful XM193.

It was the SCAR's maiden trip to the range and it ran beautifully with the Wolf and XM193 but you could feel the difference in how the weapon cycled with the two types of ammo. Overall I really like the rifle for the first time out. The operation is a hybrid AK/AR system - you've got a reciprocating charging handle and all the operating levers are typical AR with an ambi safety that only has a 45 deg throw and a ambi mag release. The factory sights are actually very nice - the rear sight is very much like the KAC 600-meter sight and the front is like the typical Troy flip up sight. There are about 5 different shades of FDE on the gun though so that may annoy some folks out there.

The In Range Galil clone was pretty fun. The mags went in the well with a little extra effort and the flash hider/comp had a tendency to work itself off as I shot. Decent accuracy with both the Wolf and minimal XM193 I ran through it. The stock is a little longer than I like. For those accustomed to getting pristine AK kits and a few US parts and building a nice AK - this is not the same. There weren't many nice/pristine Galil kits brought in and this rifle shows that. The parts still work but you can tell they've been used, torn apart, refinished and rebuilt.

Arsenal SA M7A1R. What a great gun! The modern milled AK at its finest. If you could buy only one milled AK and didn't want a classic AK clone, this would be the one. Very accurate and 4 mags is no test of reliability for an AK...

SW keeps chugging on... I'm around 2200 rounds with minimal wipe down... I changed out almost all the internal trigger parts over the winter with APEX Tactical parts which cleaned up the trigger pull and made the reset much more like the Glock reset. I also added two dot figure 8 sights as well. They worked great and it was actually right on after ripping both the front and rear sight off the gun... I guess I got lucky.

The HK P7 was one of the German police imports - it has the heel mag release. I bought this one for the wife for a first gun... Might have been a bad idea. The squeeze-cock mechanism is pretty hefty but once engaged it is easy to hold. The trigger was nice and it shot very well for the 50 or so rounds I fired through it. It was a grade B gun but the only wear was on the high surfaces and minor overall for a gun built in 1982.

BF

I wanted to get one of the OOW BARs about 6 or 7 years ago - it was that or a Barrett M99. I ended up getting the Barrett - I sort of wish I had got the BAR since 30-06 is pretty cheap through the CMP and you can actually shoot it on 99% of the ranges in the US where as the Barrett is fairly limited to the ranges big enough to shoot it on and the ammo is pretty damn expensive. I'd still love to get an OOW BAR though...

My range day today included:

KAC SR15E3

FN SCAR 16

In Range Galil clone

Arsenal SA M7A1R

SW M&P 9

HK P7 PSP

BF

The KAC SR15 is probably one of the highest quality AR-15s one can buy, and its price is actually very good for what you get with it. I use Wolf for range ammo in my ARs. My BCM midlength hasn't had a problem cycling it, but my Noveske has had a couple of hiccups with it.

Fuck, I am pissed off. Some jackweed about 90 miles from here had a Tula M44 for $190, so I emailed him explicitly saying I'd take it; but since my wife in in the hospital at the moment it would probably be this weekend before I could pick it up.

Now the asshole tells me he's sold it locally. I almost feel like driving up there and kicking him in the junk! What a fuckstick! :bash:

Sorry, just had to vent. Shitheads like this just piss me off! :darkcloud:

AntiZombie Device...meet your big brother!

I will call it: Bigger AntiZombie Device (or BAZD).

Stats-

"Loaded" Springfield Armory M1A (includes match-grade trigger group and medium weight cro-moly barrel)

Troy MCS in FDE

Troy folding BUIS

Unitized and ceramic coated gas system

Sadlak NM guide-rod

Vltor Mod-Stock

Yankee Hill Machine FS

Troy single point sling attachment & "No-name brand" rail sling attachment

27412811.th.jpg

37203688.th.jpg

85187079.th.jpg

89232563.th.jpg

Just threw on the Scope for my AR-15 to see how it looked. It's a Nikon with a BDC for a 5.56 so wont work well with the M1A.

63878340.th.jpg

17491155.th.jpg

Compared to the AR-15. Ignore the PRS stock on the AR. I will be trading the VLTOR stock with the PRS. :)

99825472.th.jpg

Entire family.

14333292.th.jpg

Zombies beware!!!

Nice! I have a SA M1A as well, but I left it in its original configuration. I like it a lot, even if it is expensive to shoot. With that said, I wish they chrome lined their barrels though. I see you upgraded with some Sadlak stuff, very nice. Anyway how heavy is it with the Troy MCS?

I know I asked why you had a PRS on the carbine, and I have to ask now have you shot it in that configuration? What are you going to do with the PRS when you take it off the carbine?

Just stuck it on the ghetto fabulous scale here and it came in just under 13lbs with no magazine, a harris bipod mount, the VLTOR stock, and 2x BUIS (so pretty much how it's pictured above but I put the bipod block on it, but not the bipod).

Yea, I've shot the AR with the PRS. I actually like it, the PRS stock is down right awesome once you get it configured the way you like it (eye relief, comfort, etc). But, that being said, I have never shot it with the PRS in a "tactical environment" (ie: Carbine course, CQB/C, etc). I put the PRS stock on it in the first place to just to try it out, never intended to have a 16in carbine with a PRS stock on it. Then I find myself TDY at Altus and forgot I never put the M4 stock back on and all my other gun parts are in long term storage.

My next rifle build will be a Mk12 Mod0 clone. The M1A actually came with a PRS stock (bought it used and have a box full of goodies). I will put a PRS on the M1A since I will pretty much only use it for distance shooting, slap the VLTOR that is on the M1A onto my existing AR, and then take the PRS on my AR and use it for the Mk12 Mod0 clone build.

Obligatory pic:

2008-01-31_012545_MK2mod_.jpg

Yeah, about 200 rounds. Mostly plinking with bulk Winchester ammo, but I loaded a couple mags with some CCI Green Tag Match and it seems to be very consistent, but gets heavy with the scope after a while.

On the other hand... I had no taking the thing down to clean would be such a B(*&)!!!

Worst gun I've ever had to clean - but I still love it.

They're horrible to clean at first, but after awhile the mechanism is genius. Use a paperclip on the rear lever for disassembly. Watch the youtube vid for a good tutorial on all the tips and tricks.

Just stuck it on the ghetto fabulous scale here and it came in just under 13lbs with no magazine, a harris bipod mount, the VLTOR stock, and 2x BUIS (so pretty much how it's pictured above but I put the bipod block on it, but not the bipod).

Yea, I've shot the AR with the PRS. I actually like it, the PRS stock is down right awesome once you get it configured the way you like it (eye relief, comfort, etc). But, that being said, I have never shot it with the PRS in a "tactical environment" (ie: Carbine course, CQB/C, etc). I put the PRS stock on it in the first place to just to try it out, never intended to have a 16in carbine with a PRS stock on it. Then I find myself TDY at Altus and forgot I never put the M4 stock back on and all my other gun parts are in long term storage.

My next rifle build will be a Mk12 Mod0 clone. The M1A actually came with a PRS stock (bought it used and have a box full of goodies). I will put a PRS on the M1A since I will pretty much only use it for distance shooting, slap the VLTOR that is on the M1A onto my existing AR, and then take the PRS on my AR and use it for the Mk12 Mod0 clone build.

Obligatory pic:

%7Boption%7D

Good idea. My Noveske came with a Vltor improved modstock, and I really enjoy the extra real estate for a solid cheekweld.

Edited by Timbonez

Here is my Noveske I bought about a year ago. It's a 14.5" carbine with chrome lined CHF barrel. The upper receiver is the Vltor Versatile Interface Structure (VIS), which is a monolithic free floating rail upper. At the rear of the lower receiver is Noveske's QD attachment endplate. I am using a gear sector single point sling right now, but I am going to change to one of their two point slings. I will show a picture with those attachment points later. It is sporting an EoTech 512.A65 (no NV function). I like EoTech but prefer Aimpoint. My Aimpoint Comp M4s is sitting on my BCM, however. I like the rifle in its current configuration, and I will be adding a Surefire scout to it in the near future. FYSA, Noveske just recently changed their 14.5" CHF rifles from carbine to midlength gas systems.

post-5322-0-69827900-1300684422_thumb.jp

Here is a pic of one of my Colt 1911s. It is the Special Combat Government Carry model, one of the flagship pistols. I have had it in previous pics, but this looks a little better and it is alone.

post-5322-0-93546900-1300684618_thumb.jp

Edited by Timbonez