Gun Talk

VL-16

My wife likes shooting, but she's not proficient. I'm sending her to a class at Front Sight here in Vegas for a two day defensive handgun course. If you life in the area, I highly recommend them. We get lucky in Rescue and they send us to some pretty sweet training courses, so I thought my wife could benefit from something similar.

I've always wanted to do the front sight course/have my wife take it, but just been too busy and with a move coming up, probably won't happen for a while. I fully plan on her taking a course when we move, but probably won't be as full up as front sight.

Any recommendations on specific revolvers/pistols your wife likes?

Heh, nice. I guess I didn't read the date on the post. My bad. Good luck with the rifle build.

No worries. I had the Kimber out today and managed to regularly remove the 10 ring on all of my targets, surprised myself a bit.

I am ordering my upper Monday, going with the CMMG 16in Mid-Length with free Troy rail from Aim Surplus and looking for a FFL to have my Spike's lower delivered. I thought about getting a BCM but in all of the reviews I have looked over I honestly can't tell a difference in the CMMG vs. BCM uppers when similarly equipped. I can use the money I save for PMags, Ammo, or other MagPul goodies.

No worries. I had the Kimber out today and managed to regularly remove the 10 ring on all of my targets, surprised myself a bit.

I am ordering my upper Monday, going with the CMMG 16in Mid-Length with free Troy rail from Aim Surplus and looking for a FFL to have my Spike's lower delivered. I thought about getting a BCM but in all of the reviews I have looked over I honestly can't tell a difference in the CMMG vs. BCM uppers when similarly equipped. I can use the money I save for PMags, Ammo, or other MagPul goodies.

I'm partial to BCM, but I haven't heard anything bad about CMMG. In fact, the link I posted earlier with the former cop describing desirable features in a "combat" AR-15 has him recommending them. Let me know how everything works out. Midlength is definitely the way to go for a 16" barrel, and the fact that it comes with a free Troy rail is even sweeter.

Within the next year I am planning to build a M16A4 type AR but with an A1 stock vice the A2 (I like the shorter LOP). I already have a Spike's stripped lower, Colt LPK, and Knight's M5 RAS. I'll be buying the 20" upper from BCM pretty soon, but I'll have to save my pennies for the ACOG, those things are expensive.

Edited by Timbonez

I'm partial to BCM, but I haven't heard anything bad about CMMG. In fact, the link I posted earlier with the former cop describing desirable features in a "combat" AR-15 has him recommending them. Let me know how everything works out. Midlength is definitely the way to go for a 16" barrel, and the fact that it comes with a free Troy rail is even sweeter.

Within the next year I am planning to build a M16A4 type AR but with an A1 stock vice the A2 (I like the shorter LOP). I already have a Spike's stripped lower, Colt LPK, and Knight's M5 RAS. I'll be buying the 20" upper from BCM pretty soon, but I'll have to save my pennies for the ACOG, those things are expensive.

I'll have to take a picture of my M16A4 version - it is exactly what you are describing for your build. Mine is BCM top and bottom, A1 stock, TA31 ACOG on top.

Here's my current dilemma: I want a .357 revolver. I don't have a revolver so I want to go all out and get a Smith and Wesson. Here are the three I'm looking at:

SW 327 Night Guard. Sweet looking home defense gun. Good sights for closer in work. Barrel is short but that's expected for this type of pistol. 27.6 ounces...

Model_327_163422.jpg

The next one I'm interested in is the 327PD HiViz. Great looking pistol - the most "classic" look of the bunch I'm interested in. 4" barrel is a great compromise between barrels that are either too short or too long. I like the look of the full shrouded barrel. Good sights and it comes with a set of rubber grips if I don't want to mess the wood ones up. 27 ounces - the lightest of the three - I bet it really bucks. The 329PD is a 44 Mag version of this that weighs the same! I've handle one at the local shop and it is stupid light - I would imagine it would have a steady diet of .44 Special run through it...

pix1312541515.jpg

The last one is a "space gun" revolver in my mind. The M&P 327 R8 from the S&W Performance Center. This is essentially a custom gun that you can mount rails on top and bottom of the barrel. Add a light and a red dot sight and you have a pretty sweet but heavy gun. Granted it isn't super high capacity but 8 rounds of .357 Mag isn't something to laugh at either. I've found one locally and it is a pretty big revolver for what it is. This one weighs in at 37 ounces.

Stripped down:

pix976674515.jpg

Decked out:

pix1125805437.jpg

What do you guys think???

Spooky

Edited by BigFreddie

I'll have to take a picture of my M16A4 version - it is exactly what you are describing for your build. Mine is BCM top and bottom, A1 stock, TA31 ACOG on top.

Here's my current dilemma: I want a .357 revolver. I don't have a revolver so I want to go all out and get a Smith and Wesson...

What do you guys think???

Spooky

I love S&W revolvers. I have six of them in .38 SPC, .357 Mag, .45 ACP, and .44 Mag. Is this going to be a strictly home defense and plinking gun, or are you going to carry it? All three of those choices are based on their N frame .357, the Model 27, so they're all going to be large revolvers. I'd prefer the extra weight of an all steel frame over the scandium alloy that S&W uses on some of their guns (although I've heard great things about it's strength and durability). That being said, I'd go with the R8, if it's going to be a home defense and plinking gun. I kind of like it's looks, even though I prefer a classic blued with wood grips wheelgun. If you're going to be using full power loads you're going to appreciate the extra weight.

The benefit of all three of your choices is that they have 8 round capacities. If you're thinking about also carrying the revolver I'd get a something in the K or L frame, one of their 386 or 686 with a 2.5in barrel. They have seven round capacities, steel frames and they're smaller than the N frames. This is a 686 Plus, 2.5in bbl, 7 shot 164192_large.jpg

Like I said, I prefer an old fashion look. One of my .357s is a blued S&W Model 19 w/2.5in bbl. Unfortunately S&W doesn't make the model 19 anymore (you can find used ones on GunBroker), but on occasion I carry mine instead of my P220 Carry.

Guest JollyFlight21

I have a Ruger SP101. It's a .38 sp. also chambered for .357. She loves that thing. No safeties or anything else to mess with. Point, aim, squeeze. She also really likes our 4" XD .40. Says the XDM is a little big.

I love S&W revolvers. I have six of them in .38 SPC, .357 Mag, .45 ACP, and .44 Mag. Is this going to be a strictly home defense and plinking gun, or are you going to carry it? All three of those choices are based on their N frame .357, the Model 27, so they're all going to be large revolvers. I'd prefer the extra weight of an all steel frame over the scandium alloy that S&W uses on some of their guns (although I've heard great things about it's strength and durability). That being said, I'd go with the R8, if it's going to be a home defense and plinking gun. I kind of like it's looks, even though I prefer a classic blued with wood grips wheelgun. If you're going to be using full power loads you're going to appreciate the extra weight.

The benefit of all three of your choices is that they have 8 round capacities. If you're thinking about also carrying the revolver I'd get a something in the K or L frame, one of their 386 or 686 with a 2.5in barrel. They have seven round capacities, steel frames and they're smaller than the N frames. This is a 686 Plus, 2.5in bbl, 7 shot

Like I said, I prefer an old fashion look. One of my .357s is a blued S&W Model 19 w/2.5in bbl. Unfortunately S&W doesn't make the model 19 anymore (you can find used ones on GunBroker), but on occasion I carry mine instead of my P220 Carry.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 327PD - a nice mid-size revolver (as compared to their J frames and their hand cannons). I just want a good general purpose revolver.

BF

Edited by BigFreddie

327PD is a large frame revolver, it's just light because its frame is scandium alloy. Aside from just barrel length, look at the frames and grips. They will affect the overall size just as much as barrel length. If you want a medium frame go with a used 19, 13, 65, 66 or get a new 386, 686, 620.

327PD is a large frame revolver, it's just light because its frame is scandium alloy. Aside from just barrel length, look at the frames and grips. They will affect the overall size just as much as barrel length. If you want a medium frame go with a used 19, 13, 65, 66 or get a new 386, 686, 620.

I will... As you mentioned, all the pistols above are built on the large frame - the TR8 felt big and that might be why. There's another local dealer who has a pistol similar to the 327PD but the barrel shroud is different and I can't find a similar model on the SW website. It runs about $625ish so it is in different price range as well...

BF

ETA: I may end up buying a snow blower first though... Toys are much more fun than practical things...

Good luck with your choice and the snow blower.

Turns out the local cop shop has a SW 520 - the replacement model for the Model 19. Looks much like the 327PD without a fully lugged barrel and is built on the L size/type frame. Here's a pic:

pix45791796.jpg

Might be exactly what I want minus a fully lugged barrel. I think I can live with that. Seems to be out of production as there is no description on the SW website. I guess that could be good and bad. I'm not a huge fan of the grip - for SW revolvers using their frame sizing system could I buy any grip for an L frame and have it fit this revolver?

BF

Edited by BigFreddie

Nice gun, Freddie. Yeah, they don't make the 520 anymore, but that won't be an issue for buying grips. The L frame is their new K frame, just slightly beefier around the forcing cone. The one thing you'll have to figure out is if it's a square butt or round butt (sts). The square butt will have sharpish points where the grip terminates. The round butt will have rounded edges.

The left is square and the right is round: squareround.jpg

Just make sure you buy the right frame grips. Like I said, they are both technically medium frame guns so S&W's grips are interchangeable. S&W even calls them K/L frame grips.

S&W Grip Styles

Hogue S&W K/L Grips

Nice gun, Freddie. Yeah, they don't make the 520 anymore, but that won't be an issue for buying grips. The L frame is their new K frame, just slightly beefier around the forcing cone. The one thing you'll have to figure out is if it's a square butt or round butt (sts). The square butt will have sharpish points where the grip terminates. The round butt will have rounded edges.

The left is square and the right is round:

Just make sure you buy the right frame grips. Like I said, they are both technically medium frame guns so S&W's grips are interchangeable. S&W even calls them K/L frame grips.

S&W Grip Styles

Hogue S&W K/L Grips

Thanks for the picture - that does explain some of the differences! Pretty intuitive but it is good to see pictures.

Without looking at it closer I think it is round - the frame basically disappears into the wood grip on the butt of the gun. Now to convince the wife getting promoted warrants a new gun - I've fooled Big Blue but no Mrs. Big Freddie...

Let me know when you need assistance buying an AK or a M1A rifle - I know those better than revolvers...

UPDATE: Some of you mentioned the S&W 40% discount earlier, I just got an email stating the deal ends on the 31st so you better act fast! Here it is:

Mr. A,

Good morning Sir and yes Smith and Wesson is offering a 40% discount off the MSRP list on our website to all active duty and retired military personnel. This program is good on all Smith and Wesson guns and will end on 31 Dec 09. Simply fill out the form and send it in, you can mail it in, fax it in to 413-731-8980 Attn Helene Piquette or scan it and send it to me. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me, thank you.

V/R

B. H.

Manager, Military Programs

Smith and Wesson

Yeah, but I don't live in Abilene! :bash::thefinger:

p.s. That doesn't list every FFL, just the ones registered with GunBroker!

The ones I've found on there have been pretty good. I've "shopped" around for a couple that have worked very well for me.

I've got a good one in Del Rio, TX and Dover, DE if anyone needs their info...

BF

Anyone know of any good gun stores in Abilene as well as ones with inexpensive ffl transfers?

I have used West Tx game Trail when I got my XD. It was a $20 transfer. Also alot of my co-workers have used Patriot Gun works. Abilene Indoor will charge you at least 20 but just call to check on that. Just ahead up on them, they will charge you a 10% Fee if you ship guns from CDN to them. There are a few shops in the area. We have Patriot, which they are a small shop and deal a lot of used handguns. You have Abilene Indoor Gun range, they have a decent selection and you can try to talk them down. There is Jerry's Jun shop out side of town past the Airport, he has a good selection of everything. There are the pawn shops around town as well. If you into reloading then check out B&B Pawn on S. 3rd and Butternut, they have an ok selection as well. But unfortunately nobody in this town thinks that they have to lower their prices at all at be competitive. I will look but end up buying online unless I can get them to lower the price.

Also the gun shows here are interesting to go to, most if not all the guns are over priced and they still try to tell you to get them while you still can be for they are outlawed. But there normally is a good selection of accessories and other stuff there. Hope that this helps.

I have used West Tx game Trail when I got my XD. It was a $20 transfer. Also alot of my co-workers have used Patriot Gun works. Abilene Indoor will charge you at least 20 but just call to check on that. Just ahead up on them, they will charge you a 10% Fee if you ship guns from CDN to them. There are a few shops in the area. We have Patriot, which they are a small shop and deal a lot of used handguns. You have Abilene Indoor Gun range, they have a decent selection and you can try to talk them down. There is Jerry's Jun shop out side of town past the Airport, he has a good selection of everything. There are the pawn shops around town as well. If you into reloading then check out B&B Pawn on S. 3rd and Butternut, they have an ok selection as well. But unfortunately nobody in this town thinks that they have to lower their prices at all at be competitive. I will look but end up buying online unless I can get them to lower the price.

Also the gun shows here are interesting to go to, most if not all the guns are over priced and they still try to tell you to get them while you still can be for they are outlawed. But there normally is a good selection of accessories and other stuff there. Hope that this helps.

I forgot CDNN does business out of Abilene - that could be dangerous to my wallet if I lived there.

Not exactly the same idea as finding an FFL but I do know a guy who has nationally known trainers come to Brady, TX every year. He's got Pat Rogers coming this year for a carbine class and a pistol class. I've been to a couple classes there when I was stationed down in TX. Only 2 or 3 hours from Abilene and San Antonio. Let me know if interested.

BF

Thanks, guys. I just won a Browning Hi Power MkIII on GB and I'm using Patriot Gun Works. I talked to the guy there and he was real friendly. They charge a $20 transfer. Anyway, I should have the new handgun hopefully by the end of next week, but probably more like at the beginning of the following one.

BRMK3S_all.jpg

Is the Indoor Gun Range the only range around Abilene? Is there any public land to possibly shoot on?