Gun Talk

VL-16

T-bonez

The price of .455 Webley at Cabela's was no better than the link you posted earlier, so I would advocate just ordering some. I may do that as the two-box limit is a pain and the store is an hour's plus drive away from where I live; so it's not worth a special trip.

I keep hearing conflicting reports on .380, some saying production should start up again this month, others that since the demand for 9mm is so strong that the manufacturers are concentrating on that and passing up on .380 this year. Given the military and commercial demand for 9mm, it wouldn't surprise me.

This ammo shortage made me happy that I pretty much stuck with one caliber (.45ACP) for the majority of my shooting pistols. Sure, I have a bunch that shoot "odd" calibers (7.62x38R, .455, .380, .357 Magnum, etc.); but my primary shooters are my XD and my four 1911s. I have always been tempted to snag a 9mm or a .40; but it only means buying different ammo. In some ways I wish I would've skipped the Kel-Tec P3AT (.380) and bought a P11 (9mm) instead, but the seller was a bud and I got a good price, so I can't really complain. I just never thought ammo for it would be more expensive than any other gun I have!

Cheers! M2

Ammo is fairly common here once again. Some of it is expensive still, but most is back to pre-election prices. In fact, there was some Federal 55gr .223 ammo being sold at the Walmarts and one of the local gun shops here for $40/100rds. That's a pretty damn good price relatively speaking. I still wish it was $4-5/20rds like it used to be way back when. All of the common handgun calibers (9mm, .40, .45) are well stocked except for .38 special, .357 magnum, and .380 Auto. I'm more of a revolver fan, and carry one regularly over my semis so that disheartens me. M2, I was unable to locate .455 Webley at Bass Pro the other day, and there isn't a Cabela's near me so I'm still without ammo for that revolver.

Where are you that ammo is easier to find? You should try finding it in Northern VA...

Gotta toss a plug in for a really excellent licensed dealer and manufacturer, located in Von Ormy, Texas...

Dreadnaught Industries

They "sell everything from stock factory guns to wild custom creations, from micro-sized .22 pistols to long-range sniper weapon systems. Dreadnaught Industries LLC specializes in cutting-edge hard-use equipment for the serious shootist as well as guns that are just plain fun to take to the range and plink. Everything from folding-stock 20-round 12 gauge auto-loading shotguns to pink rifles, we can build it to your personal specifications."

I recently met Alex and Liota and they are great people...gun enthusiasts who are in the business for the love of the sport more than anything else! Plus they are both military, and that's a plus. They are now my preferred FFL despite being nearly 35 miles away from where I live. I find it still worth the time to go through them.

Just take a gander at their AR page and I think you'll understand what I am talking about! These folks know their shit!

Cheers! M2

Where are you that ammo is easier to find? You should try finding it in Northern VA...

Spoo, I find that if I go during the middle of the week and in the middle of the day, there is more stuff available. I am currently in P'cola, FL.

I also just got a hold of this Smith & Wesson Model 10. It was manufactured in 1968, and it is in awesome condition.

post-5322-1244422237_thumb.jpgpost-5322-1244422244_thumb.jpg

EDIT: To add that I bought a new gun!

Edited by Timbonez

Getting ready for a get together at a private range. It's a real nice professional setup, several different ranges and a great way to teach new people and compete with other more trained individuals. Trying to find enough ammo for the 7 people shooting with me has been interesting. My "Reliable" store was completely out of .45ACP and 9MM yesterday. The store up the street from them is charging $36 a box for .45ACP. That's a major rip off and I refuse to buy at that price. Thankfully a store by my father has .45 and is only charging $25. Remember when prices were low?

2 boxes of .32 = $40.00

7 boxes of .45 = $175.00

2 boxes of 9MM= $44.00

While it is difficult, getting ammo can be done. Having a limit on how many boxes I can buy on a given day or week is frustrating. The one good thing though is that it keeps people from stockpiling. Having a supply is fine (I normally have 100 rounds in reserve) but some people are ridiculous. I have a friend that is refusing to buy any ammo now. He is just plinking away with .22 out of his AR-15 and Glock. We were at the range 2-3 weeks ago and he looked ridiculous. 4 guys shooting 1911s, 1 guy shooting a Beretta 9MM and him shooting .22 out of a Glock.

I'm hoping that all the ammo I just bought is used up in 1 day. Everyone gets to shoot to their hearts content and I'll worry about finding more when the time comes! :rock:

Spoo, I find that if I go during the middle of the week and in the middle of the day, there is more stuff available. I am currently in P'cola, FL.

I also just got a hold of this Smith & Wesson Model 10. It was manufactured in 1968, and it is in awesome condition.

post-5322-1244422237_thumb.jpgpost-5322-1244422244_thumb.jpg

EDIT: To add that I bought a new gun!

Solved my problem. I'm on leave in WI and picked up some .45 ACP and 9mm at a gunshop outside of Madison for $24/box of 50. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price.

2 boxes of .32 = $40.00

7 boxes of .45 = $175.00

2 boxes of 9MM= $44.00

I don't know how much .32 (ACP I'm guessing) normally costs, but considering it isn't a common caliber I'd say 20/box is fair. $25/box of .45 ACP and $22/box of 9mm is ridiculous. Are they all FMJ or is some of JHP? If they're JHP, then the prices are pretty reasonable.

While I don't consider myself a stockpiler of ammo I have:

500rds of Remington .45 ACP Bonded Golden Sabers; FREE

~350rds of 9mm (NATO and Hydrashoks); FREE

~350rds of .40 S&W (FMJs and Hydrashoks); FREE

540rds of 62gr .223 (80 of them are actually 5.56mm 62gr steel penetrators); FREE

200+rds of .38/.357 (FMJs and JHPs)

60rds of 7.62 NATO M80

100rds of 7.62 Nagant

30rds of .375 H&H Magnum

All the ammo I got for free I'll probably shoot completely except for maybe half of those .45s, the .40 Hydrashoks, and the 80rds of 5.56 steel penetrators. I see no point in stockpiling ammo that you aren't going to shoot, but there is also good reason to hold on to some of it. You don't know if there is going to be another ammo shortage, price increase, or zombie apocalypse. As for the stuff I paid for: I'll hold on to the 7.62 NATO, since I just sighted my M1A for a 250meter battlesight zero; shoot the 7.62 Nagant; keep the .375 H&H for zombie lions, tigers, and bears; shoot the .38/.357 FMJs.

Looks like the Midwest is preparing for the next zombie invation. Sadly here too in Iowa the shelves are still bare of any handgun ammo. It almost seems like a second wave of people panicking set in and for the last 2+ weeks all of the stores have been wiped clean. Even going to any of the few gun shows around here there is little to be picked up except personal defense rounds or a box of 50 .40 ball rounds @ $30+. It sucks because I finally found a good safe place around here to shoot till my heart is content, and now I cant get the ammo.

If this sh*t continues, I'm seriously looking at reloading my own rounds.

Looks like the Midwest is preparing for the next zombie invation. Sadly here too in Iowa the shelves are still bare of any handgun ammo. It almost seems like a second wave of people panicking set in and for the last 2+ weeks all of the stores have been wiped clean. Even going to any of the few gun shows around here there is little to be picked up except personal defense rounds or a box of 50 .40 ball rounds @ $30+. It sucks because I finally found a good safe place around here to shoot till my heart is content, and now I cant get the ammo.

I just started reloading .44 magnum, .375 H&H, and .30-06 this year. It is definitely cheaper than buying factory ammo, and you can make better loads (sts) once you get used to it. The only problem is that the initial set up cost is pretty high and reloading material is hard to find at the moment.

Good luck with that, that market has dried up as well! Brass is getting expensive, and primers are a bitch to find!

At the gun show two weeks ago, my buddy ran up to me because he found a guy selling .45 primers, but only one box per customer. My bud gave me his debit card and I grabbed the last box. The seller told me someone tried to buy the last two boxes, complained because he wouldn't sell him both, so he put both back. My bud and I grabbed the last ones. I am sure the original guy probably realized his stupidity and went back shortly after only to find them gone. :bash:

So if you plan to reload, I hope you have everything already!

Cheers! M2

p.s. T-bonez, have you thought about reloading .455 Webley? I am gonna hang onto my brass just in case, but my reloading buddy just moved to Colorado!

M2,

Yeah I'm considering picking up some dies to reload .455 Webley. I have a Hornady press, and unfortunately they don't make .455 dies, so I'm still trying to decide which dies from another company I want to use. I know Lee makes some and so does Redding. I also want to make sure I have maximum compatibility between the dies and the press. I have a single stage press because it's easier to reload my rifle cartridges, so I don't think there will be a compatibility issue but I want to make sure before I drop some money on some.

www.aimsurplus.com has .380 and .38 Special ammo. $17/50 of 94gr FMJ .380s and $14/50 of 158gr .38 Special. They are good folks to deal with and I buy a lot of my ammo through them...

BF

Yeah, I just saw the email notice and went straight to their site only to find they had already sold out of .380! :banghead:

Seriously, it had been 10-15 minutes since I last checked my email, and the shit was sold out already!

Still, thanks for letting us know!

Cheers! M2

I just started reloading .44 magnum, .375 H&H, and .30-06 this year. It is definitely cheaper than buying factory ammo, and you can make better loads (sts) once you get used to it. The only problem is that the initial set up cost is pretty high and reloading material is hard to find at the moment.

Better quality ammo is what got me interested. I learned reloading from my dad who's been doing it for 20+ years. I started for myself when this ammo craze first kicked off. I don't really save money reloading. I have more ammo for less money, so I shoot so much more that my savings are a wash. The real advantage I've found is that I can enjoy this hobby even when I'm not at the range. Reloading has forced an appreciated increase in my knowledge of firearms. I have almost as much fun tinkering with guns and ammo in my garage as I do shooting at the range.

Components are sometimes hard to find, primers in particular. But I keep my eye out for them and stock up when I can. So far I've had plenty to keep up with my demand.

M2, I know I live on the other side of town from you, but you're welcome to my reloading setup if you can acquire .455 dies. I've already got the .45 ACP dies along with a load that works great in my XD-45.

Edited by schokie

Yep. I frankly don't know too much about guns. But I just finished "Rough Riders" and it was apparently used in the Spanish-American War. They look pretty cool.

Interesting rifle. My uncle has a Krag he inherited from my grandfather when he passed away. I got my Springfield 1903A3 from the same grandfather.

More info and pics here.

Edited by JarheadBoom

Yeah, I just saw the email notice and went straight to their site only to find they had already sold out of .380! :banghead:

Seriously, it had been 10-15 minutes since I last checked my email, and the shit was sold out already!

Still, thanks for letting us know!

Cheers! M2

By the time I went from here back to their site it was gone... Apparently you aren't the only one looking for .380 ammo... Maybe next time I'll snag a box or two and send it your way...

Better quality ammo is what got me interested. I learned reloading from my dad who's been doing it for 20+ years. I started for myself when this ammo craze first kicked off. I don't really save money reloading. I have more ammo for less money, so I shoot so much more that my savings are a wash. The real advantage I've found is that I can enjoy this hobby even when I'm not at the range. Reloading has forced an appreciated increase in my knowledge of firearms. I have almost as much fun tinkering with guns and ammo in my garage as I do shooting at the range.

Components are sometimes hard to find, primers in particular. But I keep my eye out for them and stock up when I can. So far I've had plenty to keep up with my demand.

M2, I know I live on the other side of town from you, but you're welcome to my reloading setup if you can acquire .455 dies. I've already got the .45 ACP dies along with a load that works great in my XD-45.

Reloading is a whole other hobby! It is crazy the stuff you can get into with reloading. I use to do it to get high quality hunting rounds at a reasonable cost. Now I do it for accurate .308 ammo. If I were to do it for quantity a nice Dillon set up would be the ticket...

BF

BF

Thanks, I'd appreciate it! I am only looking for 100-150 rounds of .380, so not all that much.

We went to a guns show this morning and they had it, but the cheapest I could find was $33 for a box of 50. That is ridiculous as the one box I have has a price tag of $12 on it. But I did snag three boxes of Independence 9mm for a buddy that was only $20 with tax. That's not too bad. The guy who sold it to me said he is expecting a large shipment of .380 in the near future, and actually told me to hold off on buying any if I could (which I easily can, as I only have the Kel-Tec P3AT that shoots it). This is the same guy I bought a thousand .45 primers from two weeks ago, for a different bud.

Overall, there was a fair amount of ammo at the show, it's just the prices are still pretty high (at least for the rarer stuff). I also saw two more Nagant M1895s, on Tula and one Izhevsk; and they wanted $155/each. I wouldn't mind getting a Izhevsk to go with my Tula; but that is too much considering AIMSurplus has Nagants for $79.95! I might just give them a call and see if they'll pull a Izhevsk for me...

Cheers! M2

Hey fellas - a bit off topic from the current ammo crisis (which is a BITCH, btw)...

I'm PCSing to Osan in September for a one-year unaccompanied.

I want to take my H&K P2000 (9mm). Has anyone ever done something like that? I imagine I'd have to keep the gun on base, and that's not a problem. I just want to shoot while I'm in Korea so I don't get shitty at it.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

In the closet I keep a Mossberg Persuader 12-gauge shotgun loaded with 3" magnum 00 buckshot rounds. Mine is the pistol-gripped model,

I'm pondering modifying my Charles Daly Field Tactical 12ga. with a pistol grip to shorten it up for a house gun. Before I do it, however, I've never fired a shotgun except for the old-fashioned stock to the shoulder method. What's the method/stance for the pistol grip firing and how many rounds did it take to get used to it?

Brick

The best method for shooting a pistol-gripped shottie is to "be pulling the gun apart" approach, i.e. your forward hand on the forend is pulling forward and your back hand is pulling backwards. Hold the weapon up to eye level, that bullshit you see in the movies where people shoot from the hip isn't gonna work in a HD situation. You still have to aim with a shotgun, and a laser and/or light combo isn't a bad idea. I have a 120-lumen SureFire 6P and a rail-mounted laser on mine, the little red dot stands out nicely in the big bright sunshine the SureFire puts out!

I will not shit you, shooting a pistol-gripped shotgun is a bitch. I would recommend going to the range and making sure you know what it's like; but it is not anything you want to do a lot of! 10-15 shots at most, otherwise your gonna take a beating! But for a home defense weapon, there isn't a better choice. I load mine up with 3" Magnum 00-buckshot rounds, 'cause if the SOB tries to hide behind my couch or a wall, I still want the ability to redecorate that wall an interesting new color called `hint of brain!'*

Cheers! M2

* - Bonus points to whoever can source that quote, and don't cheat by using Google

p.s. Some video examples...

The RIGHT way

The WRONG way

M2, thanks.

Obviously, if I modify my shotgun, I'd practice with it, but for the first shot at the range, I wanted to have a clue about a proper hold/technique and not risk breaking/spraining something due to ignorance.

Can't see the vids due to work nazi precautions. Will view tonight.