Gun Talk

VL-16

Vertigo

I was up at the Cabela's in Buda, Texas last Saturday and they had .45ACP on the shelves. I have had an order for .380ACP with them for months now, which initially was suppose to be filled in less than a week. I finally gave up on ever expecting to see it.

Cheers! M2

Apparently there is a Pawn shop near CAFB that has 380 in stock. If you want I can pursue it and we can work something out.

Apparently there is a Pawn shop near CAFB that has 380 in stock. If you want I can pursue it and we can work something out.

Thanks, but there is actually a lot of .380 out there now. I saw tons of it at the gun show this morning, and at a shop I went to last week.

The problem is everyone wants $36+ for a box of 50 rounds, and that is ridiculous. The price should be $12-14, but since there may not be any produced this year due to the high demand for 9mm (.380 is a short 9mm round, which is why it is called a 'Kurz' in German), the production lines won't be converted over to produce .380.

I don't really need much .380, it isn't a pleasure to shoot in the small Ket-Tec P3AT I have; I just wanted to get some rounds through it to break it in some more. I just find it ridiculous that it costs so much, I pay less for .455 Webley and 7.62x38R for the Nagant I just bought!

Speaking of which, here are a few cheesy pics I took of it this afternoon...

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

Cheers! M2

Guest Unconfirmed Source
2.37 pounds, according to online sources.

Cheers! M2

Not that bad then, looked pretty stout like you could use it for a club when you run out of ammo :thumbsup:

T-bonez

He was talking about the Webley, which is much more stout than the Nagant.

Speaking of which, the guy I bought my Nagant from had a Webley Mk VI in the case. When I asked how much he wanted for it, he said it wasn't for sale. He later admitted that a friend of his offered it to him for an extremely low price, and he wanted to know my opinion of it. It had some corrosion on the side; but it locked up tight and overall was in pretty good shape. The one I got is in better shape, but he was getting this one for a fraction of the price.

Other than that, we didn't see any other Webleys at the show. There actually weren't that many Nagant pistols either, one of the others I saw was a Izhevsk-made one (circle with a triangle in it) and the guy wanted $175 (negotiable) for it. It was in nice shape but I didn't see the need to pay that much more for one. Plus, I like the star on the Tula-made ones more. Speaking of which, is that your Nagant in that pic? I noticed it is also a Izhevsk factory model.

But that hammer is sure scary! What is nice is that I can use a bore scope light and see little inside the barrel, which was in near-pristine shape. Overall I am happy with the Nagant I snagged, I may pick up another one of these days as they are reasonably priced. Oh, and there is a small forum concerning them over at Gunboard. You can also find info on the Webley's in the same forum, in the British Gun Pub section.

Cheers! M2

Edited by M2
A quick edit

Looks like another 2nd Amendment Case might be heading to the Supreme Court.

Chicago Law Banning Handguns in City Upheld by Court (Update3)

By Andrew M. Harris

June 2 (Bloomberg) -- A Chicago ordinance banning handguns and automatic weapons within city limits was upheld by a U.S. Court of Appeals panel, which rejected a challenge by the National Rifle Association.

The unanimous three-judge panel ruled today that a U.S. Supreme Court decision last year, which recognized an individual right to bear arms under the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment, didn’t apply to states and municipalities.

“The Supreme Court has rebuffed requests to apply the second amendment to the states,” U.S. Circuit Judge Frank Easterbrook wrote, upholding lower court decisions last year to throw out suits against Chicago and its suburb of Oak Park, Illinois.

The Fairfax, Virginia-based NRA sued the municipalities in June 2008, one day after the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in District of Columbia v. Heller struck down a hand-gun ban in the U.S. capital district encompassing Washington.

“We clearly disagree with the court’s conclusion,” NRA attorney William N. Howard, a partner in Chicago’s Freeborn & Peters LLP, said in a telephone interview. “The next step will be an appeal to the Supreme Court.”

“We recognize that this may not be the end of this litigation,” Jenny Hoyle, a spokeswoman for the city of Chicago’s law department said, acknowledging the likelihood the NRA would seek further review. “We’re certainly prepared for that if this happens. We’re prepared to aggressively defend our ordinance.”

Second Amendment

Adopted in 1791 as part of the Bill of Rights, the Second Amendment reads in its entirety: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

In Heller, the high court struck down Washington’s 32-year- old gun law, which barred most residents of the city from owning handguns and required that all legal firearms be kept unloaded and either disassembled or under trigger lock. Six residents had challenged the law, saying they wanted firearms available in their homes for self-defense.

“Heller dealt with a law enacted under the authority of the national government,” Easterbrook wrote, “while Chicago and Oak Park are subordinate bodies of a state.”

Chicago’s law took effect in 1982, Hoyle said. While it allows ownership of long guns such as rifles, they must be registered annually with the city’s police department. Concealed weapons, semi-automatic and automatic weapons are not permitted.

Some exemptions apply to members of the military and law enforcement agencies.

Following Precedent

Chicago U.S. District Judge Milton Shadur on Dec. 4 rejected the NRA’s request that he apply the Heller ruling to the Chicago and Oak Park laws, stating he was bound to follow a 1982 appeals court ruling upholding a ban by the Illinois village of Morton Grove.

That decision came from the U.S. Court of Appeals in Chicago, the same body that issued today’s opinion. The 15 judges of the Seventh Circuit hear appeals from the federal courts of Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin.

Easterbrook, joined by Circuit Court Judges Richard Posner and William Bauer, said they, too, were bound to follow the precedent of a higher court, the U.S. Supreme Court, in its ruling on the Second Amendment not applying to states.

An appellate court departure from high court precedent “undermines the uniformity of national law,” Easterbrook wrote.

The judges rendered their ruling one week after hearing arguments.

Applicable Law

A San Francisco-based federal appeals court, with jurisdiction over cases from California, Oregon, Washington and six other Western U.S. states, in April ruled the Second Amendment can be read as applicable to states and counties.

Still, the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision in Nordyke v. King allowed to stand an Alameda County, California regulation that outlaws gun possession on county property.

Howard, the NRA’s lawyer, cited the Nordyke ruling as one of the reasons for his client’s challenge to the Chicago court outcome.

“This thing is headed for the Supreme Court,” University of Chicago Constitutional Law Professor Richard Epstein said in a phone interview.

“This is a question where you cannot run a split administration and there’s no way the circuits can resolve this amongst themselves,” he said.

The 7th Circuit case is National Rifle Association of America v. City of Chicago, 08-4241, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (Chicago). The 9th Circuit case is Nordyke v. King, 07-15763, in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (San Francisco).

To contact the reporter on this story: Andrew M. Harris at the federal court in Chicago at aharris16@bloomberg.net.

Bloomberg

Back in the States on leave and stopped by a Scheels to dream. They didn't have SQAUT for handgun ammo. Is that standard lately?

Yep, but it is starting to get a little better. Just when the new administration was elected, there was a rush on ammo and what little could be found was very expensive. Now it is starting to show up at shows and such, but the prices are still high. 9mm and .45ACP can be found at decent prices in a few outdoors stores such as Cabela's and Academy, but less popular ammo such as .380 can only be found at gun shows for about 3x the price it used to be.

Oddly enough, I was able to find .455 Webley at Cabela's a few weeks ago, and for only $17 for a box of 20. But I was limited to two boxes...

Cheers! M2

Yep, but it is starting to get a little better. Just when the new administration was elected, there was a rush on ammo and what little could be found was very expensive. Now it is starting to show up at shows and such, but the prices are still high. 9mm and .45ACP can be found at decent prices in a few outdoors stores such as Cabela's and Academy, but less popular ammo such as .380 can only be found at gun shows for about 3x the price it used to be.

Oddly enough, I was able to find .455 Webley at Cabela's a few weeks ago, and for only $17 for a box of 20. But I was limited to two boxes...

Cheers! M2

Yeah, there were at least 300 price tags with no boxes above them. There was also signs EVERYWHERE stating the limits. Everything was limited to 2 boxes but some had limits of 1 per customer. Crazy.

Cheers! M2

I guess I'll have to head to the Bass Pro after work to see if they have any .455 Webley. I'm assuming it was the Hornady stuff, M2? Also, I found 7.62 Nagant ammo for $24/50 here AIM Surplus. It's manufactured by Prvi Partizan, which isn't too bad. I used to shoot their .223 ammo out of my AR-15s when I was still using 55gr stuff.

Went to the range last night for little warm up for a larger shoot in 2 weeks. Put 50+ rounds downrange through my Kimber 1911. She performed as advertised and is all set.

The real fun for the night was the WWII veteran. After 64 years of being stored in the attic, my grandfather's Remington/Rand 1911 put rounds downrange once again. No real work or anything necessary. Just a box of .45 Lawman!

Very humbling to be firing a pistol, that when last fired by my grandfather was putting metal downrange against Nazis. :salut:

Now it's off to on an ammo run for the larger shoot. It should only cost me an arm and a leg.

5 boxes of .45

2 boxes of .32

Went to the range last night for little warm up for a larger shoot in 2 weeks. Put 50+ rounds downrange through my Kimber 1911. She performed as advertised and is all set.

The real fun for the night was the WWII veteran. After 64 years of being stored in the attic, my grandfather's Remington/Rand 1911 put rounds downrange once again. No real work or anything necessary. Just a box of .45 Lawman!

Very humbling to be firing a pistol, that when last fired by my grandfather was putting metal downrange against Nazis. :salut:

Now it's off to on an ammo run for the larger shoot. It should only cost me an arm and a leg.

5 boxes of .45

2 boxes of .32

That's awesome. It would be great to have an old Remington Rand, Ithaca, Union Switch & Signal, Singer, or RIA. It's even cooler that the one you have was owned by your grandfather. What kind of shoot is it? IDPA, IPSC? Regardless, good luck and have fun.

The Remington/Rand was fun to shoot. Knowing that it was carried by my grandfather during WWII as a Scout in the Army was very special. :notworthy:

The shoot is actually a large get together at a local club. No IDPA etc but it does look like I might be taking a Shotgun Combat Class in August.

Anybody else been shooting lately? There's a saying that goes, "We don't need more owners, we just need more shooters!"

I am still waiting for my Webley to get here. Once it does, I will take it and the Nagant M1895 out for a "historical enlightenment"...

Otherwise, I am still hoarding the small cache of .45ACP I have.

Post some pics of that Remington Rand!

Cheers! M2

I thought that I would post up that I just got a XD45 bi tone stainless from Budspolicesupply.com for Fathers Day. M2 maybe you can send some of your 45 my way. They offer a good discount to Military/LE. I will post up pics once get it in.

Sorry partner, the only way I send .45 anyone's way is when I shoot it at them; and I don't think that's what you want!

But the good news is that ammo is beginning to show up all over the place. It is mainly the common stuff (.45, 9mm), but I am seeing it at shows and from the online vendors. Prices may still be a bit high, but at least there is ammo to be bought! A few months back there wasn't much at any price!

I didn't see a XD45 bi-tone on their web site, what'd ya pay? They look like they've got some good prices!

Cheers! M2

p.s. I just noticed their prices include shipping, which makes them even better!

Sorry partner, the only way I send .45 anyone's way is when I shoot it at them; and I don't think that's what you want!

But the good news is that ammo is beginning to show up all over the place. It is mainly the common stuff (.45, 9mm), but I am seeing it at shows and from the online vendors. Prices may still be a bit high, but at least there is ammo to be bought! A few months back there wasn't much at any price!

I didn't see a XD45 bi-tone on their web site, what'd ya pay? They look like they've got some good prices!

Cheers! M2

p.s. I just noticed their prices include shipping, which makes them even better!

I noticed that after I bought it that it wasn't showing up on the site. But I paid 505, it was listed for 485 as the cash price. they charge a 3% fee for CC. Apparently you can finance the guns through them and get the cash price. I was going to get the normal all black but I need some bling in my collection for now. The only thing with there police side is that they need a copy of your id to verify that you get the better prices.

Guest Unconfirmed Source

Opinions ?

J&G has Rock Island 3.5" 1911's for $450.00

Now don't everyone run over there and make me regret letting the cat out, but that seems a decent price for a snubby 1911 considering new XD's are just a fraction more.

Anyone have one of these or any Rock Island auto, opinions - construction, handling, overall.

Thanks

Jp

Opinions ?

J&G has Rock Island 3.5" 1911's for $450.00

Now don't everyone run over there and make me regret letting the cat out, but that seems a decent price for a snubby 1911 considering new XD's are just a fraction more.

Anyone have one of these or any Rock Island auto, opinions - construction, handling, overall.

Thanks

Jp

Rock Island Armory 1911s are made in the Phillipines. I don't own one myself, but I've heard nothing but praises for pistols. You should know that they aren't forged (they're cast steel) like other high quality 1911s. That being said, I've never read about anyone complaining about their RIA 1911 failing. Do some research at 1911 Forum. They are a good starter gun, but there are better options out there.

On an unrelated note, I stumbled upon these quality videos put out by the ATF... ATF Learning Center.

I'd take the XD over a RI snubby 1911 any day of the week! They aren't bad guns, but they are entry-level pistols and the XD is superior in so many ways.

That said, if someone was looking for a basic, inexpensive 1911 I would steer them towards the Rock Island if they weren't kern on the Springfield GI.

Just picked up the Webley this morning and it is sweet! I will post more pics up shortly, but Iron Eagle III is on TV and I am already missing too much of it! Rachel McLish is McLish-ish!

374334427_28e8c97121.jpg

Definitely had a boob job done but there's nothing wrong with that! And she did get her money's worth!

(And there is your tie-in to this thread, as those are some nice guns! :thumbsup:)

I also didn't know Fred Thompson was in that movie. Honestly, I am surprised I don't have it on DVD! :rock:

Cheers! M2

I guess I'll have to head to the Bass Pro after work to see if they have any .455 Webley. I'm assuming it was the Hornady stuff, M2? Also, I found 7.62 Nagant ammo for $24/50 here AIM Surplus. It's manufactured by Prvi Partizan, which isn't too bad. I used to shoot their .223 ammo out of my AR-15s when I was still using 55gr stuff.

T-bonez

Yep, it's the same Hornady as the link you posted earlier. Did you find any?

And thank for the link to the 7.62x38R ammo, that's a lot cheaper than what I am finding at the shows, and that's even reloads!

Cheers! M2

Oh, and it is a nice coincidence that I got my Webley on the same day that a UK World War I veteran marks 113th birthday!

Allingham and 110-year-old Harry Patch are the only two surviving World War I veterans in Britain! Patch is the last surviving soldier to have fought in the trenches of the Great War (Allingham was Royal Navy).

Cheers! M2

Ammo is still in short supply here in Omaha. Told the wife to snatch (STS) up some .40 at Walmart 2 days ago and she said the shelf was empty. The last lot of .223 I bought was Silver Bear just so I could continue to stock up. Anybody else still having problems or know of any good leads?

Cooter

Ammo is fairly common here once again. Some of it is expensive still, but most is back to pre-election prices. In fact, there was some Federal 55gr .223 ammo being sold at the Walmarts and one of the local gun shops here for $40/100rds. That's a pretty damn good price relatively speaking. I still wish it was $4-5/20rds like it used to be way back when. All of the common handgun calibers (9mm, .40, .45) are well stocked except for .38 special, .357 magnum, and .380 Auto. I'm more of a revolver fan, and carry one regularly over my semis so that disheartens me. M2, I was unable to locate .455 Webley at Bass Pro the other day, and there isn't a Cabela's near me so I'm still without ammo for that revolver.