Gun Talk

VL-16

Lackland BX is now selling limited quantities of handgun and rifle ammo. Mostly self-defense pistol ammo, but also some shotgun shells. They also had some Golden Tiger 7.62x39, but not nearly as cheap as I have found elsewhere. Still, it's a positive sign!

Is there some kind of BX policy about gun sales? Mostly I've never seen guns or ammo in a BX, but I walked into Eglin a few months ago and it's like the friggen SHOT show in there. Great selection of handguns, shotguns and rifles, even high end AR's like LWRC. They sell the Sig 556 there and even had the new FN SCAR. But I haven't seen anything like that anywhere lese, including Hurlburt.

Is there some kind of BX policy about gun sales? Mostly I've never seen guns or ammo in a BX, but I walked into Eglin a few months ago and it's like the friggen SHOT show in there. Great selection of handguns, shotguns and rifles, even high end AR's like LWRC. They sell the Sig 556 there and even had the new FN SCAR. But I haven't seen anything like that anywhere lese, including Hurlburt.

Whiteman has a gun/ammo section in their BX. About 3 dozen pistols and a handful of rifles/shottys. It was ok, but I'd much rather go up the road to Bass Pro or Cabellas.

I thought only the BXs in Alaska had gun sections? That is great that there are more out there...

Fun story - I was home in Alaska on leave and I went through the BX to see the mythical gun section. At the time I had a valid Alaska ID with an Alaskan address - but they wouldn't let me buy a gun with that identification. I needed to present orders as well. I thought that was fairly unusual since with the documents I had in hand I could go off base and buy anything I wanted. It must be an AAFES policy.

BF

I thought only the BXs in Alaska had gun sections? That is great that there are more out there...

Fun story - I was home in Alaska on leave and I went through the BX to see the mythical gun section. At the time I had a valid Alaska ID with an Alaskan address - but they wouldn't let me buy a gun with that identification. I needed to present orders as well. I thought that was fairly unusual since with the documents I had in hand I could go off base and buy anything I wanted. It must be an AAFES policy.

BF

That's kind of lame. It sucks when companies make buying/selling guns more restrictive when it doesn't have to be. Since I'm still waiting on that Nighthawk Talon II, I decided to buy two more 1911s:

Smith & Wesson 1911

108285_large.jpg

Colt Special Combat Government Carry

_DSC0025-2.jpg

The ones pictured are not mine.

...they wouldn't let me buy a gun with that identification. I needed to present orders as well. I thought that was fairly unusual since with the documents I had in hand I could go off base and buy anything I wanted. It must be an AAFES policy.

Must be a trend item of AAFES idiocy. The Elmo BX also told me it was federal law that they could not sell a long gun to an out-of-state resident. :banghead:

Actually, I was just talking with the guy who was handling the ammo at the BXtra at Lackland, and he said he was having a tough time getting AAFES to allow him to purchase it from more than one vendor. He said he had two more glass cases that he wanted to fill (right now there is only the one) and that he needed more target ammo (the majority of the stuff is SD/HD). He sincerely sounded like he wanted to expand what they were offering, but I told him I was still grateful that they were carrying ammo in the first place.

Cheers! M2

Must be a trend item of AAFES idiocy. The Elmo BX also told me it was federal law that they could not sell a long gun to an out-of-state resident. :banghead:

What's the selection like there? Will they special order? I'm headed that way in the near future and have been stocking up on guns here under the impression that it'll be hard to find what I'm looking for up there. Looking primarily at ARs and home defense shotguns.

What's the selection like there? Will they special order? I'm headed that way in the near future and have been stocking up on guns here under the impression that it'll be hard to find what I'm looking for up there. Looking primarily at ARs and home defense shotguns.

What I saw @ Elmo was hunting stuff for the long guns, a few revolvers, and the normal Glocks, XDs, tupperware pistols. They had a couple unique muzzleloaders (that aren't even firearms, but that's a different story altogether). I think AAFES charged a 5% surcharge, which effectively made their prices higher than off-base, where it's tax free anyway. Go check out Wild West and the other unique stores up there. If you go to Wild West, ignore the guy they call Ken. He's a real piece of work. Either way, skip the BX.

I know some of you asked about Cavalry Arms AR-15 lowers a while back; their polymer. It appears that on 10 Feb, CAV Arms had a press release saying that they would be closing their FFL. They've had a well known, ongoing battle with the ATF for the last two years over some "violations." It's a shame because they made some good firearm accessories and an awesome polymer lower. Anyway, it looks like they are going to sell the rights to it to some other company so the lowers can continue to be made. And for those of us that already own one, they will be negotiating with the new company to take responsibility for service/support. It sucks when a good, AMERICAN company gets shit on by its own government, especially by an agency that looks to limit our second amendment rights.

Cavalry Arms

MKIIs.jpg51.jpg

Not my images.

T-bonez

All is not lost. If you go to Cav Arm's web site, they posted the following which states they will continue to produce and sell firearm accessories; and are selling the firearm production portion of their business to someone else...

2/15/2010 Press Release

Dear Friends and Loyal Customers:

As you may be aware, we have been engaged in an ongoing dispute with the ATF for the past two years. While Cavalry Arms has at all times tried its best to run a lawful and honest shop, unfortunately, some regulatory compliance mistakes were made. We have now come to the point where we feel it is in our best interest to close our FFL and to cease all firearms operations. The owner of Cavalry Arms, Shawn Nealon, has elected to leave the firearms business and concentrate on firearms accessories instead. We are currently in negotiations with another company for that company to purchase the CAV-15 product line. Rest assured that any resulting purchase agreement will address the issue of providing service and support with regard to existing CAV-15 firearm products. We will continue to manufacture quality plastic components, grow our Medical products line, and work to bring new innovations to the relevant markets. Over the next several weeks we will be conducting a wind-down of our firearms manufacturing and FFL operations. Accordingly, please do not send us any firearms for repair or replacement. Instead, such issues should be addressed to the ultimate purchaser of our assets. Due to our limited personnel resources, during this transition/operation wind-down period, the final processing and shipping of firearm receivers already in our inventory will be our first priority.

We deeply appreciate your patience and understanding and anticipate that the relevant asset purchaser will begin operations in March of 2010. We sincerely thank you for your prior and ongoing support during these troubled times and look forward to better years ahead.

Cheers! M2

p.s. OK, I now see where you said some of that in your post; but remember I am not an AR guy (Soviet MilSurp is my addiction). I know on ARs it is the lower that has the serial number on it, thus making it the regulated portion of the firearm...

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned they would continue to sell firearms accessories; all those funky colors for ARs and whatnot. They're also going to continue to sell their medical packs. It's the actual lowers that are going to be produced by another company.

The stripped lower is considered the firearm by the ATF and is the only serial numbered part. You can have uppers, BCGs, lower parts, etc. mailed directly to your doorstep.

One of these days you'll see the error in your ways and buy a black rifle... haha.

Has anyone ever put a 22lr conversion kit on a AR? If so which one did you go with and how did it perform. Just considering this as a option so plinking at the range is a little easier on the wallet and also able to shoot at indoor ranges as its still a little cold up north. It seems that you can basically pay for the conversion with the first 1000 rounds. Thanks advance for any advice.

Has anyone ever put a 22lr conversion kit on a AR? If so which one did you go with and how did it perform. Just considering this as a option so plinking at the range is a little easier on the wallet and also able to shoot at indoor ranges as its still a little cold up north. It seems that you can basically pay for the conversion with the first 1000 rounds. Thanks in advance for any advice.

One of these days you'll see the error in your ways and buy a black rifle... haha.

Hey, I do have a couple of black rifles...it's just that they were made in Yugoslavia! :drinking:

Cheers! M2

Has anyone ever put a 22lr conversion kit on a AR? If so which one did you go with and how did it perform. Just considering this as a option so plinking at the range is a little easier on the wallet and also able to shoot at indoor ranges as its still a little cold up north. It seems that you can basically pay for the conversion with the first 1000 rounds. Thanks advance for any advice.

Has anyone ever put a 22lr conversion kit on a AR? If so which one did you go with and how did it perform. Just considering this as a option so plinking at the range is a little easier on the wallet and also able to shoot at indoor ranges as its still a little cold up north. It seems that you can basically pay for the conversion with the first 1000 rounds. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 guns are better than 1. Consider the S&W M&P 15-22. It costs around the same as a .22 upper conversion ($430ish). It has the same control arrangement as an AR. It is built from the ground up to function properly with the .22 round. And, you still can pick up your AR without having to tinker.

2 guns are better than 1. Consider the S&W M&P 15-22. It costs around the same as a .22 upper conversion ($430ish). It has the same control arrangement as an AR. It is built from the ground up to function properly with the .22 round. And, you still can pick up your AR without having to tinker.

What HU&W said. At the very least get a dedicated AR .22 upper. It will drop right on to your standard AR-15 lower, but will only fire .22LR. .22LR is optimized for a 1/16 barrel twist. The most common .223/5.56 AR barrels have a twist rate of 1/7, 1/8, or 1/9. You'll lose stability (read: accuracy) past 50 yards and probably even closer. Plus a dedicated .22 upper or complete .22 AR is designed to function with the finicky .22 anyway.

EDIT: Added "yards"

Edited by Timbonez

Sorry, I meant to post this earlier in the week but forgot until now...

As of 22 February 2010, carrying in national parks will be subject to state and local laws. Or, in other words, if you are good to carry in a state park, you are now good to go in national parks in that same state! :rock:

Below is the official NPS press release, click on the title for the original link.

Cheers! M2

National Park Service Press Release

For Immediate Release: February 18, 2010

Contact(s): David Barna, (202) 208-6843

New Firearms Law Takes Effect Monday - National parks now subject to state and local firearms laws

WASHINGTON – A change in federal law effective Monday, February 22, allows firearms in many national parks. People who can legally possess firearms under federal and state law can now possess those firearms in the national parks in that state. The new law (Sec. 512 of P.L. 111-24) was passed by Congress and signed last May by the President.

Prior to February 22, firearms have generally been prohibited in national parks – except in some Alaska parks and those parks that allow hunting.

State and local firearms laws vary. Visitors who would like to bring a firearm with them to a national park need to understand and comply with the applicable laws. More than 30 national parks are located in more than one state, so visitors need to know where they are in those parks and which state’s law applies.

“For nearly 100 years, the mission of the National Park Service has been to protect and preserve the parks and to help all visitors enjoy them,” National Park Service Director Jon Jarvis said. “We will administer this law as we do all others – fairly and consistently.”

Federal law continues to prohibit the possession of firearms in designated “federal facilities” in national parks, for example, visitor centers, offices, or maintenance buildings. These places are posted with “firearms prohibited” signs at public entrances. The new law also does not change prohibitions on the use of firearms in national parks and does not change hunting regulations.

Park websites have been updated to include links to state firearms laws to help visitors understand the law and plan accordingly.

Sec. 512 of P.L. 111-24, an amendment to the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility, and Disclosure Act of 2009, also directs the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to follow state and local firearms laws in national wildlife refuges.

Sorry, I meant to post this earlier in the week but forgot until now...

As of 22 February 2010, carrying in national parks will be subject to state and local laws. Or, in other words, if you are good to carry in a state park, you are now good to go in national parks in that same state! :rock:

Below is the official NPS press release, click on the title for the original link.

Cheers! M2

That's cool. I'm assuming this is for open carry? I like how this was an amendment to the Credit Card Accountability Act; politics at it's best.

That's cool. I'm assuming this is for open carry?

It's whatever is allowed by the state. At Big Bend, it'd be concealed only because TX doesn't allow open. In the Wyoming part of Yellowstone, you could open carry.

Edited by nunya

Definitely a 22. Marlin 60 is a good choice. Ruger 10/22 also a crowd favorite. The 10/22 will be more upgradeable in the future, if that matters. Marlin has other 22s, also - bolts and mag-fed. The tube mag on the 60 is alright, but a pain if you want to do Appleseed or similar shooting. If you want a little higher end, look at the Kimbers and Anschütz from CMP.

http://www.thecmp.org/22targetsurplus.htm

http://www.thecmp.org/22targetcommercial.htm

"2" for the Marlin 60. I have one with a decent 4x Bushnell scope on it and it's almost always within .5" at 50 yards. The one thing to keep in mind on the 60 is to plan for a scope. The raised cheek rest provides an excellent position for scope shooting, but kinda sucks with the iron sights. I personally like the tube feed (STS) for rapid loading, but that's only cause my thumbs hate loading rotary mags.

Good morning at the gun show, the C&R makes it too easy to pick up great deals but it's worth it.

I got a 1926 Tula (which has "Foremost Ordnance Factory [of the] USSR at Tula" in Cyrillic on the receiver) ex-Dragoon 91/30 with brass end caps for $125, and a 1915 Nagant M1895 "Peter the Great" also for $125.

Pics to follow, first I have to update my ledger; but like I said, it was a great morning! :rock:

Here are the scores...

1926and1915Tulas3.jpg

And some close-ups of the Mosin...Old Crow is probably the only one interested but here they are anyway...

1926Tulaex-Dragoon2.jpg

1926Tulaex-Dragoon16.jpg

1926Tulaex-Dragoon6.jpg

1926Tulaex-Dragoon9.jpg

And in case there are any Nagant fans on here, a few of it...

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

I got both within the first ten minutes of the show, then found nothing else. Still, can't complain; these are great scores especially considering the deal I got on them! :rock:

Cheers! M2

"2" for the Marlin 60. I have one with a decent 4x Bushnell scope on it and it's almost always within .5" at 50 yards. The one thing to keep in mind on the 60 is to plan for a scope. The raised cheek rest provides an excellent position for scope shooting, but kinda sucks with the iron sights. I personally like the tube feed (STS) for rapid loading, but that's only cause my thumbs hate loading rotary mags.

Range update from today. About halfway through the shoot, I figured why let empty shells go to waste. Set up a line of empty .22lr shells at 25yds. Picked 'em off, one with each shot (OK, some bragging here, but it's mostly the gun and the glass). I have to say this thing shoots like a dream and it'll autoload about as fast as my trigger finger can pull.