Gun Talk

VL-16

Guest AceTomatoCompany
I don't really see a reason to get a "lefty" AR. I shoot all my guns left-handed and the only one I'm glad I got "lefty" is my 30-06 bolt action. It's nice having the bolt on the left side...for those "wish they weren't necessary" follow-up shots while hunting. Every other gun I own is a "normal" model and I really don't notice the difference or any problems. Besides habit patterns, you have to think of parts availability...could be a problem.

How to you handle the brass ejecting in front of your face rather than thowing away from it? Seems like you would catch alot of empties on your right elbow and arm.

In reality, I don't see the new administration getting to guns anytime very soon. They'll hopefully have their hands full with two wars, a recession, and all of the social programs that have been promised. Senator Obama certainly hasn't emphasized gun laws in his campaign. Contrast that with Pres Clinton, who ran on a platform including gun control but still didn't get around to the AWB until 1994 (at which point the Republicans promptly took back Congress). They may really want to do it, but it would definitely have a political cost that would weaken their ability to push through other controversial stuff.

Buy guns and parts now, but be sure to throw a few extra CFC bucks a month into the NRA Institute for Legislative Action.

I think one thing we have going in our favor is the recent Supreme Court ruling (now Case Law) on the 2nd Amendment as it relates to the D.C. gun ban.

How to you handle the brass ejecting in front of your face rather than thowing away from it? Seems like you would catch alot of empties on your right elbow and arm.

I've never fired an AR-15, so I can't speak for them... but the M-16A2's I shot in the Corps launched the brass up and way to the right. No chance of catching one on your own arm.

I never saw a lefty have a problem firing the M-16A2.

*** EDIT ***

MD, I hope you and zookrider are right re: possible AWB-part-deux and the Heller case. I still don't have a good feeling about it...

At BMT they have these block looking things that attach right near where the brass is ejected to deflect it away from a southpaw's arm. Sorry for not being very descriptive, but I know there is something out there for lefties.

Talk to a CATM instructor.

*** EDIT ***

MD, I hope you and zookrider are right re: possible AWB-part-deux and the Heller case. I still don't have a good feeling about it...

I hope so too. I'm just counting on the fact that since we have this ruling now that we didn't have before, we may have a more shored-up position to defend against the anti-gun, anti-2nd Amendment folks and the crap they'll try to come up with. Still, it's going to be a tough fight that we can never let our guard down over, IMHO.

The brass is ejected far enough away from you. I can unload 30 rds as fast as I can pull the trigger and not one casing will touch me. I can see how it seems that would be an issue, but in reality it's a 100% non-issue.

I have a Stag, and it seems to be good to go, but I've only put 500 or so round through it. It does not have M4 feeds ramps and it's only a 1/9 rifle rifling pattern. A lot of AR-15 snobs go on about gas key staking, and will tell you that anything other than the Colt method is bogus. Looking at my rifle and the way Stag staked the gas key, I can't imagine it coming loose ever, but whatever.

Guest AceTomatoCompany
The brass is ejected far enough away from you. I can unload 30 rds as fast as I can pull the trigger and not one casing will touch me. I can see how it seems that would be an issue, but in reality it's a 100% non-issue.

Fair enough... seems it is one of those things that being a righty and never having experience would seem a certain way but clearly is not.

Guest zookrider

Heller couldn't have come at a better time. But...if you look at what the court said, it basically just affirmed your right to have a commonly owned weapon in your home accessible for use. Awesome. What it didn't do was protect concealed carry, prevent registration schemes, prevent taxes and environmental regs designed to make shooting too expensive for most folks (thus reducing the number of actively involved shooters/voters), or prevent the banning of weapons deemed to be uncommon. I bet that most new hires of the next administration will consider your AR to be uncommon, and not just because it's a lefty.

The other thing about Heller that concerns me even more is that it can be overturned by a simple majority. Supposedly, the Court is supposed to abide by precedent, but in reality, there's nothing in the world to stop 5 justices from determining that the majority in Heller ruled incorrectly as to the real meaning of the 2nd Amendment. If you don't believe that USSC decisions are tenuous, listen for the Roe v Wade questions the next time a justice is nominated (which should be pretty soon...).

break, break

By "just bought" i meant that I had left the Bravo Company website and gone directly to Baseops. Maybe I got the last few.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my first gun acquisition... My mom's friend called me Friday and told me he wanted to give me a belated graduation/commissioning present before I head down to Columbus in a few weeks. He ended up giving me this Swiss Army K31 rifle. This particular gun was the fourth weapon of its type produced in 1945, and the barrel, receiver, and stock were all manufactured at the SIG factory in Switzerland. The gun is in great shape... the only defects I can find are nicks and dings in the walnut. It shoots 7.5X55 Swiss ammo. I haven't gotten the chance to shoot it yet but these rifles are known for their superb accuracy so I'll be interested to find out. Anybody else have one? Also, anybody living off base at Columbus right now interested in babysitting it while I'm in the dorms?

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

In unrelated news, I will be buying an XD or XD-M within the next year. M2 I know you own the XD45 and have said you wouldn't upgrade, even if the M comes out in 45. I'm looking for any additional input on whether I should wait for the M to come out in 45 or go ahead and get the original XD (which looks a hell of a lot cooler anyway, but minor detail).

Thanks for all the great information... this thread is awesome! :salut:

Stretch

Nice rifle, if you want to drop it off in San Antonio I will take really good care of it!

As for the XDm, the looks have changed a little but the original is such a sweet gun that the only way I will ever part with it will be the day my son inherits it! But if you want a XD45 and can wait, see if the price drops when the XDm comes out because right now is the worst time to buy a new gun. Prices and ammo have risen dramtically since last Tuesday. Things have gotten real crazy and I would wait if I were in your shoes. You still might be able to find a deal, I know a good dealer near Corpus who I bought my last two M1911s from; but I don't know if his prices have gone up like everyone else's.

So, if you can be patient and can take your time, you will be better off. It took me several months to find the Springfield M1911s I wanted at the right price, but it was well worth the wait!

Cheers! M2

So, if you can be patient and can take your time, you will be better off. It took me several months to find the Springfield M1911s I wanted at the right price, but it was well worth the wait!

Cheers! M2

On a related note, anyone have or had an M1991 version of the 1911? Opinions one way or the other on them?

MD

From what I understand, the M1991 is basically no different than a M1911. Colt just decided to market an economy version of their basic Series 80 Government Model and other than a few cosmetic changes, mechanically it is the same as any other Colt Series 80, 1911-type pistol, and even Colt 70 Series.

That said, I have never shot one...but I don't think there is anything substantially different between it and a M1911.

Cheers! M2

MD

From what I understand, the M1991 is basically no different than a M1911. Colt just decided to market an economy version of their basic Series 80 Government Model and other than a few cosmetic changes, mechanically it is the same as any other Colt Series 80, 1911-type pistol, and even Colt 70 Series.

That said, I have never shot one...but I don't think there is anything substantially different between it and a M1911.

Cheers! M2

Thanks for the info! Am also in the post-election buy up of guns while we still can, and want an M1911 for the classic that it is, as well as to shoot. Saw in a few stores 1911 look-alikes that were marked as M1991s, hence the question. If they're pretty much the same, I'm just might consider them too in the M1911 purchase decision.

Wish I could carry my own selected sidearm (like an M1911/M1991) in my LE employment, but like any governmental agency, contracts change every few years. We're now with H&K with the P2000 pistol (USP-like), which is an OK firearm, but nothing special.

When I get depressed...I buy shit. And with Obama getting elected last week and my B-course class getting put on indefinate hold due to wing cracks in the majority of our planes...I decided to build an AR-15...here's what I have coming!

Smith and Wesson Stripped Lower

Stag Lower Parts Kit

LMT SOPMOD Buttstock

TangoDown Battle Grip

Noveske N4 Basic Complete Upper

Aimpoint CompM3 Sight w/Larue Mount

A few MagPul PMAG 30 round Mags

A few thousand rounds of 5.56

Gonna be like Christmas in November...next purchase...Benelli M4.

When I get depressed...I buy shit. And with Obama getting elected last week and my B-course class getting put on indefinate hold due to wing cracks in the majority of our planes...I decided to build an AR-15...here's what I have coming!

Smith and Wesson Stripped Lower

Stag Lower Parts Kit

LMT SOPMOD Buttstock

TangoDown Battle Grip

Noveske N4 Basic Complete Upper

Aimpoint CompM3 Sight w/Larue Mount

A few MagPul PMAG 30 round Mags

A few thousand rounds of 5.56

Gonna be like Christmas in November...next purchase...Benelli M4.

Now that is going to be an awesome set-up. Now all you need is a light on it.

I've actually sold a gun since BHO got elected - I actually - gasp - have too many and I have one more to sell as well (who wants an AR?). Something I thought I'd never say!

BF

Now all you need is a light on it.

Good point...problem solved.

Surefire X-300 with a GG&G Slic Thing QD Mount...ordered this evening.

Jeez, I hope they let us start flying again...this could be disasterous!

Good point...problem solved.

Surefire X-300 with a GG&G Slic Thing QD Mount...ordered this evening.

Jeez, I hope they let us start flying again...this could be disasterous!

The X-300 is pretty much the best light out there now - in my opinion. If you're looking for Surefire stuff try Calvin at www.brightflashlights.com - I got my X-300 for $175.

I'm also playing with the Surefire G2/G3/6P lights mounted in a Vltor mount - depending on the light you can have a great light set-up for about $120...

BF

PM responded to...

Well M2 after reading your posts about the XD I decided I am going to purchase one. Bad news is it is not for me, it's a gift for a friend of mine. Here's the question now, what do I have to do to "gift" a pistol away? Is there any red tape that I/he needs to go through to make it legit?

Hopefully I will get my own XD for Christmas, until then my S&W will have to get me through. I am looking at the .45 Compact 4" as the gift and the .40 SW Sub-compact 3" for myself.

Thanks for the great info!

AMF

Not sure what the Louisiana laws are; but in most cases as long as the recipient would be eligible to buy the weapon himself, it should be legal for him to receive it as a gift.

Of course you want to do your homework, and the shop where you are purchasing the gun would be a good place to start. Another good source is LouisianaCarry.org. If the person is in another state, then it starts getting complicated...

Speaking of which, that's one helluva nice gift to be giving!

Cheers! M2

AMF

Cheers! M2

It's official - I'm volunteering to be AMF's friend!

I thought I replied to this but can't find it anywhere... I think you'd be best if you purchased the pistol and then had your buddy fill out the paperwork. This ensures the transaction can't be construed as a strawman purchase - as long as your buddy does the paperwork you should be good to go. Leave the pistol at the dealers, take the manual and give that as the "pre-gift" - or get a cheap holster and tell him he has to buy something to fit it...

BF

Cheers! M2

I actually feel like it's not enough. He's put my wife and I up (wouldn't let us pay rent) in his place for the last couple of months prior to our PCS. I took this as an opportunity to show off the ol'gun collection and he expressed some interest. He's shot before but never owned any for himself. Hopefully this will get him started in the right direction, and also let him know how greatful we are for his help.

Thanks again for the help, my google search turned up much of the same info but my nugget doesn't comprehend most of the legal jargon; it's probably going to be a BX purchase and their knowledge level is pretty low at times.

I actually feel like it's not enough. He's put my wife and I up (wouldn't let us pay rent) in his place for the last couple of months prior to our PCS. I took this as an opportunity to show off the ol'gun collection and he expressed some interest. He's shot before but never owned any for himself. Hopefully this will get him started in the right direction, and also let him know how greatful we are for his help.

Thanks again for the help, my google search turned up much of the same info but my nugget doesn't comprehend most of the legal jargon; it's probably going to be a BX purchase and their knowledge level is pretty low at times.

As far as I know the only BX in the military that sells guns is the one at Elmendorf. Hell, I was an Alaska resident with an Alaska ID that had an Alaskan address on it but they wouldn't sell to me - I needed to be stationed there.

Anyhow, here's how I would go about doing this:

1) Find a dealer at your friend's location. Search here: http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp - find a dealer and call them up. Run your plan by them. If they won't do it it could be either illegal or they aren't comfortable doing it. If it isn't illegal and they won't do it, find another dealer.

2) Search the net for good buys - here are a couple places I would look:

http://www.gunbroker.com/

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/795

http://www.uberarms.com/handguns-springfield.html

Order and have it shipped to the dealer you found previously.

Another suggestion - if he's not a current shooter, buy him a 9mm. Why you might ask - well, it recoils less meaning he might shoot it more. And the ammo costs less - again, he can shoot it more. But... the .45 ACP is an American classic...

BF