Gun Talk

VL-16

You guys have covered a lot of good info for taking the wife/girlfriend to the range for the first time. One very important thing you have left out is clothing. You should always encourage girls with guns to wear bikinis or thongs while shooting. It is also a great idea to take pictures/videos of the girl shooting to analyze her form/stance. I encourage you to post these pictures here, so we too can analyze her stance and help you help her.

On a slightly more serious note (I'm still serious about the bikinis and pictures)- I recommend starting with a small caliber/ low recoil gun. A .22 or something darn close. I wouldn't even take the "big guns" to the range the first time. Let her get comfortable with the basics and the environment using the least intimidating gun possible. If you don't have a "small gun,"” at least get some target loads. Handing your girlfriend/wife a .357 mag for her first shot ever is a good way to make her first trip her last trip to the range. Get some .38 wadcutters and she'll probably come back again.

Now, let's get to posting those pics--

Definitely agree w/ going over the basics of gun handling/shooting prior to going out to shoot. My wife has been around guns her entire life (dad's a big hunter), but had never shot a gun until a few years ago when I convinced her to do it. I took her out w/ a .38, but think I did a pretty crappy job of explaining how everything works. Therefore, she seemed afraid of the gun as if it was a time bomb ticking in her hands. She shot a few rounds and just hated it. I got her to try again later after actually taking time to explain how the gun truly works and how it's not going to just explode in your hands or something. She'll now trap shoot w/ my 12GA no problem. I consider her a very strong, "non-frail" woman. At least w/ her, the fear of actually holding/firing a gun was only overcome w/ me taking the time to explain everything. It's just not the same as taking a guy to the range for the first time, and after explaining safety, say "have at it." Hell, most guys have been "practicing" shooting guns their entire childhoods!

You guys have covered a lot of good info for taking the wife/girlfriend to the range for the first time. One very important thing you have left out is clothing. You should always encourage girls with guns to wear bikinis or thongs while shooting. It is also a great idea to take pictures/videos of the girl shooting to analyze her form/stance. I encourage you to post these pictures here, so we too can analyze her stance and help you help her.

On a slightly more serious note (I'm still serious about the bikinis and pictures)- I recommend starting with a small caliber/ low recoil gun. A .22 or something darn close. I wouldn't even take the "big guns" to the range the first time. Let her get comfortable with the basics and the environment using the least intimidating gun possible. If you don't have a "small gun,"” at least get some target loads. Handing your girlfriend/wife a .357 mag for her first shot ever is a good way to make her first trip her last trip to the range. Get some .38 wadcutters and she'll probably come back again.

Now, let's get to posting those pics--

Well, if its for the good of allowing everyone to help me critique her form; then I guess it oughta be an easy sell.

"But huni, if I take the pictures; I can help you debrief the range time afterwards. Plus, if you wear a bikini, it will just keep extra clothes out of the way of the analysis."

If I'm still alive and she still went; I'll get some pictures.

Anyway, big thanks to everyone for their advice, I appreciate it. :beer: I think we're heading to the range Friday once we get all the other "re-aquaintances" out of the way following the deployment. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Well, if its for the good of allowing everyone to help me critique her form; then I guess it oughta be an easy sell.

"But huni, if I take the pictures; I can help you debrief the range time afterwards. Plus, if you wear a bikini, it will just keep extra clothes out of the way of the analysis."

If I'm still alive and she still went; I'll get some pictures.

Anyway, big thanks to everyone for their advice, I appreciate it. :beer: I think we're heading to the range Friday once we get all the other "re-aquaintances" out of the way following the deployment. I'll let ya know how it goes.

I honestly think it might be best to let someone else teach the wife... Some husbands and wives don't like being critiqued by their spouse - just make sure this isn't a problem with your relationship.

I also agree start off small and work your way up. I've bought a couple small guns for the wife and she is more intimidated by the sound than the recoil.

BF

Pre Election Gun Store Report

Definatly the highest volume of customers Ive ever seen here. 6 people in the process of buying EBR's ie Ar-15s Sig 556's. Probably 35 to 40 people shopping. Also popular were semi auto pistols. You could just about feel the fear of people buying in there. I only went to get some ammo and was so disgusted with the prices. Im good on everything but 357 mag. All I could hope is that everyone was just panic buying to laugh at themselves later much like Y2K however I'm not sure that will be the case. Also overheard the phone check system had wait times of up to two hours on saturday. I guess we will see tomorrow

All joking aside, loose and open clothing is not a good idea at the range, especially covered ranges! A hot casing can fly in places where hot casings shouldn't be, and that can lead to other unwanted actions such as swinging the gun around or dropping it!

Ballcaps help, as will buttoned up or crewneck collars; and don't forget eye and ear protection! Sure, it doesn't photograph as well, but shooting a .45 under a tin roof will seriously cause problems if you aren't properly dressed!

Cheers! M2

Guest AceTomatoCompany
Pre Election Gun Store Report

Definatly the highest volume of customers Ive ever seen here. 6 people in the process of buying EBR's ie Ar-15s Sig 556's. Probably 35 to 40 people shopping. Also popular were semi auto pistols. You could just about feel the fear of people buying in there. I only went to get some ammo and was so disgusted with the prices. Im good on everything but 357 mag. All I could hope is that everyone was just panic buying to laugh at themselves later much like Y2K however I'm not sure that will be the case. Also overheard the phone check system had wait times of up to two hours on saturday. I guess we will see tomorrow

HUH ???

Got stock in Reynolds Aluminum do ya..

HUH ???

Got stock in Reynolds Aluminum do ya..

Careful calling someone paranoid when you obviously haven't stepped foot into a gun store lately.

I've seen the same thing at two local gun stores- longer lines. I asked the guy helping me and he said sales are definitely up due to the anticipated election results.

Guest AceTomatoCompany
Careful calling someone paranoid when you obviously haven't stepped foot into a gun store lately.

I've seen the same thing at two local gun stores- longer lines. I asked the guy helping me and he said sales are definitely up due to the anticipated election results.

Actually I bought two new "black guns" last week that I have been waiting for a while to be able to get (damn things are expensive).

I agree sales are up and I am buying all the high-cap mags I can in case of another ban.

But statements like "You could just about feel the fear of people buying in there." are a bit much in my book.

I think many people are concerned about their right to bear arms and own what they want but I don't see anyone where I live going to gun stores in "fear" that the end of the world is coming and the government is around the corner waiting to kick in the door.

Each their own I guess.

:beer:

Actually I bought two new "black guns" last week that I have been waiting for a while to be able to get (damn things are expensive).

I agree sales are up and I am buying all the high-cap mags I can in case of another ban.

But statements like "You could just about feel the fear of people buying in there." are a bit much in my book.

I think many people are concerned about their right to bear arms and own what they want but I don't see anyone where I live going to gun stores in "fear" that the end of the world is coming and the government is around the corner waiting to kick in the door.

Each their own I guess.

:beer:

Good to see people think the 2nd Amendment is important - important enough to go out and lay down a chunk of cash...

DSG Arms has the cheapest AR mags around right now. $10 each with MagPul followers. Best price I've seen for new mags by at least a $1.

CDNN Investments normally has a pretty big selection at reasonable prices too.

Luckily I've been buying guns and ammo since 2000 - I'm fairly well stocked up and even selling a few ARs. I've finally decided to go with quality over quantity.

BF

Guest Cessnadriver

So I know this has probably been asked before, but how much trouble is it for guys to store guns on base.

So I know this has probably been asked before, but how much trouble is it for guys to store guns on base.

Sorry dude... the hounds have been unleashed. Expect a few more days of bashing and the will move on to the next guy that does it.

No, you will not have any problems storing guns on base. Unless you are bringing an excessive amount... like enough to arm 3 divisions of Gurkhas.

Pistol and Rifle Advice

Hmmmm......

Based on the results of tonight's activities - buy now, buy often... while you still can.

I don't see a bright future for the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.

I honestly think it might be best to let someone else teach the wife...Some husbands and wives don't like being critiqued by their spouse

Best advice in the whole thread, hands down.

Big, huge, f'in "2".

"3"

I can't even find 30 round AR mags right now - all the usual places are sold out already! Obama is quite possibly the best salesman in the firearm industry right now.

But the Democrats didn't get their super majority in Congress so that is good - now if they fail in doing what they said they are going to do then in 2 years the Republicans could possibly get back some of those seats.

BF

Would anyone care to make realistic and plausible prognostications as to what changes we could reasonably expect to see?

I ask because I wasn't planning on buying any more guns for a few years. The next one was going to be a Bushmaster AR-15, in something like 4 years. Do I need to be taking a serious look into buying that gun before January whatever? Or maybe just some "hi cap" magazines right now?

Edited by Port Dog

It's been discussed before...

Clinton Assault Weapons Ban

There is a very good chance that another one will be imposed, plus other restrictions. This is what is driving the increased sales (and prices) of guns and ammo...

I would buy as soon as possible. A bud of mine already asked me about getting a Yugo M70AB2 AK-47...

Cheers! M2

Would anyone care to make realistic and plausible prognostications as to what changes we could reasonably expect to see?

I ask because I wasn't planning on buying any more guns for a few years. The next one was going to be a Bushmaster AR-15, in something like 4 years. Do I need to be taking a serious look into buying that gun before January whatever? Or maybe just some "hi cap" magazines right now?

No on knows for sure what Obama and Congress will attempt to ban. The previous Assault Weapons Ban (authored by Biden) took features of rifles into account - bayonet lugs, pistol grips, flash hiders, etc. It also prohibited the sale of magazines with a capacity greater than 10. The AWB also had a sunset clause - after 10 years it went away unless it was reauthorized. Gun makers worked around the rules and introduced rifles without some of those features but retained the pistol grip and semi-auto action. And any existing rifles were grandfathered and exempted from the rules - causing them to sky-rocket in price.

So, knowing that Democrats aren't stupid and learned from the first experience I think they will go after bigger features - I think they will target semi-autos in general - from your Remington 1187 duck gun to the dreaded AR-15. I also believe what is out there will be permitted to stay on the market - I don't think the Democrats have the support for an all out ban anytime soon.

What I would buy now:

AR15s and AK47s - they are now pretty widely spread and very popular. If they aren't banned you'd be able to sell them off at a later date.

Magazines - these are disposable items - they wear out, they break, sometimes they don't work when new. They got to be stupid expensive in the last ban (Glock mags were $100 each where today they are less then $20).

Ammo - always good to have ammo on hand - bought in bulk it is much cheaper.

Rumors and rumblings I've heard - really just pure speculation - is that there are drastic tax increases on all things gun related on the horizon. I've heard a resurrection of the Assault Weapons Ban is another possibility with "strengthen" restrictions. Anything is possible so stay aware and it will never be better than today to buy guns, mags and ammo...

BF

Does anyone have any experience with Stag Arms Model 2? I've got a dealer offering me $850 for a lefty model (damn you left eye dominance!). No hits for any Stag Arms weapons with the search function.

I'm looking for any reviews or input I can find. Thanks.

FF

Guest zookrider

Stag's a solid company with a good product, and down the road someday, assuming that a ban occurs, a lefty AR might fetch a premium in resale.

For finding mags online right now- I just bought a bunch of PMAGs from Bravo Company USA after searching around a bit. I think the only type they had left was brown with the window. Fine by me.

In reality, I don't see the new administration getting to guns anytime very soon. They'll hopefully have their hands full with two wars, a recession, and all of the social programs that have been promised. Senator Obama certainly hasn't emphasized gun laws in his campaign. Contrast that with Pres Clinton, who ran on a platform including gun control but still didn't get around to the AWB until 1994 (at which point the Republicans promptly took back Congress). They may really want to do it, but it would definitely have a political cost that would weaken their ability to push through other controversial stuff.

Buy guns and parts now, but be sure to throw a few extra CFC bucks a month into the NRA Institute for Legislative Action.

Stag's a solid company with a good product, and down the road someday, assuming that a ban occurs, a lefty AR might fetch a premium in resale.

For finding mags online right now- I just bought a bunch of PMAGs from Bravo Company USA after searching around a bit. I think the only type they had left was brown with the window. Fine by me.

In reality, I don't see the new administration getting to guns anytime very soon. They'll hopefully have their hands full with two wars, a recession, and all of the social programs that have been promised. Senator Obama certainly hasn't emphasized gun laws in his campaign. Contrast that with Pres Clinton, who ran on a platform including gun control but still didn't get around to the AWB until 1994 (at which point the Republicans promptly took back Congress). They may really want to do it, but it would definitely have a political cost that would weaken their ability to push through other controversial stuff.

Buy guns and parts now, but be sure to throw a few extra CFC bucks a month into the NRA Institute for Legislative Action.

"2"

Stag is a good company. One thing to be aware of in buying a lefty AR is that you are going to create non-standard habit patterns. 99.9% of all AR are right-handed versions. If you have to use a "normal" AR you're habit patterns won't do you any good. Also you could run into parts issues - specifically the fact that only Stag sells those specific parts. I would mostly be worried about the bolt and bolt carrier - and the bolt has been known to break fairly often in ARs. For a few extra bucks you could easily get and ambi-safety and ambi-bolt release that would accomplish most of what you want. In all reality the AR isn't that bad for leftys - in a shooting class the top shooter was a lefty shooting a "normal" AR.

Define just bought - there are very, very few 30 round mags in stock - you'd find that BCM is now out of ALL 30 rounders. Gun dealers are lucky that they don't have to split their profits from this week's sales with Obama... And most places I've looked at have disclaimers for slow shipping and low availability due to the recent rush.

BF

One thing to be aware of in buying a lefty AR is that you are going to create non-standard habit patterns

I don't really see a reason to get a "lefty" AR. I shoot all my guns left-handed and the only one I'm glad I got "lefty" is my 30-06 bolt action. It's nice having the bolt on the left side...for those "wish they weren't necessary" follow-up shots while hunting. Every other gun I own is a "normal" model and I really don't notice the difference or any problems. Besides habit patterns, you have to think of parts availability...could be a problem.