Headset questions

Guest Jetjock19

Has anyone here given the new Zulu from Lightspeed a shot? I was considering going to Bose (I currently own a pair of 20xLs); however, I've heard much better reviews on the Zulu. Any ideas before I plunk down 800.00 on either?

I've got the 20xls too but I haven't tried the Zulus yet. I do know that they have a "trade up" program and I can't remember the exact price but it's something like $400 to trade from the 20xls to the Zulus.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that they will damage your ears as well. Something about the fact that they are not stopping the noise, they "hear" the noise, then send out a white noise with the exact opposite sound wave...thus making it seem quiter, but where the debate comes in is over the fact that in reality, you get twice the number of sound waves...they just negate each other at the end game (Your eardrum) So it seems less noisy, but there are twice as many little waves going in there....

I am not a tech guy, I just remember a smart person talking about something along those lines. I am sure there are article to find it online if you cared enough. I am just sticking with ear plugs and DC when I am around loud planes.

It's a gross misunderstanding about sound waves. The concept is heterodyning(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterodyne). Two waves in opposite directions cancel each other out. There aren't "two waves" going into your ear, only an amalgam of sounds in one basic wave. The canceling effect tries to take out the harmful noises. It works and there is no research to indicate any long-term effects.

As many have stated above, the hairs in your ears not vibrating=no noise and vice versa. Two times as many waves=twice as much sound.

If you want to hear the effect when coming from opposite directions, try taking a mono sound from your computer, make it a stereo sound, then invert the signal on one side. It will create a surround sound effect and you will be hard pressed to determine the direction of the sound.

• 1 year later...

Ginger, I have to disagree. I took my DC ENR headset straight from the -130, plugged in the adapter I got from DC, and it works fantastic. The ONLY draw back I see is that the cords are already long enough to move a bit around a big cockpit, and adding the adapter made it even longer. Not very useful in a Cessna-172, so I just tuck the extra in wherever I can (sts).

Slight thread revival....

Anyone else out there own a particular mil-to-civ headset adapter? I'm going to do some civilian flying and don't want to fork over the money for a civ headset when I've got several extra mil ones.

Thanks!

Slight thread revival....

Anyone else out there own a particular mil-to-civ headset adapter? I'm going to do some civilian flying and don't want to fork over the money for a civ headset when I've got several extra mil ones.

Thanks!

I JUST converted my DC 10-76 to GA specs using this kit: My link

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to "Military Headset Conversion Kits". IIRC, this site has a bunch of mil->GA kits; just look around and find your specific headset.

Cheers,

Will

• 4 months later...

If you guys go to Incirlik try Pops Leather down in the alley for a headset comfort kit or order them online.

http://www.popsleather.com/new_catalog.php3?tp=38&cksess=0617-05e326ecf5041a41b8138b8b28f0df16-13724013674

Only in GA aircraft! Have loved my Bose X's, am really impressed with the Lightspeed Zulu's, and can't wait to try the Bose A20's.

Can you use then in the 17? i've been asking around, no one seems to know...

Your GA headsets are not compatible with your standard military adaptor--different plug configuration, different mic impedance.

First option, buy the headset in a military configuration (battery powered). Bose, Lightspeed, et al, will all make it that way for you, typically for the same price. If you talk your unit into buying them, this is the way they'll almost certainly do it.

Second option (if you already own a GA pair, or want the flexibility to use it in either mode), you need (a) the battery operated (not ship's power) version of the headset and (b) something like this to adapt the plug & microphone impedance: http://sportys.com/pilotshop/product/11718. No idea how it would affect the ANR--I wouldn't expect it would at all, since that's run off the batteries, but I've never used a GA ANR headset on a military jet.

EDIT: Crap, that link is for the other direction (using mil headset in GA aircraft). The other way around doesn't seem to be as popular--the 90 seconds I was willing to search only yielded high-to-low adapters (leaving you also needing a separate plug adapter). I'm sure it's out there, though--if you call Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce, etc., and tell them what you want, I'll bet they have it or can have it made.

Edited by Jughead

You can also just talk directly to Bose and they'll send you the entire mic and plug assembly for the GA (if you bought Mil) or Mil if you have GA. Cost me about $195 or so.

That's good to know, EE. How difficult is it to change those out? Is it convenient to switch back & forth?

EDIT: clarity

Edited by Jughead

Saw a dude at TCM using them once. As EvilEagle said, the mic/plug assy can be had by going directly to Bose. I didn't personally use mine on the '17 because I was afraid it would go missing, but it's doable.

Your GA headsets are not compatible with your standard military adaptor--different plug configuration, different mic impedance.

First option, buy the headset in a military configuration (battery powered). Bose, Lightspeed, et al, will all make it that way for you, typically for the same price. If you talk your unit into buying them, this is the way they'll almost certainly do it.

Second option (if you already own a GA pair, or want the flexibility to use it in either mode), you need (a) the battery operated (not ship's power) version of the headset and (b) something like this to adapt the plug & microphone impedance: http://sportys.com/pilotshop/product/11718. No idea how it would affect the ANR--I wouldn't expect it would at all, since that's run off the batteries, but I've never used a GA ANR headset on a military jet.

EDIT: Crap, that link is for the other direction (using mil headset in GA aircraft). The other way around doesn't seem to be as popular--the 90 seconds I was willing to search only yielded high-to-low adapters (leaving you also needing a separate plug adapter). I'm sure it's out there, though--if you call Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce, etc., and tell them what you want, I'll bet they have it or can have it made.

Unlike most of the jets in the USAF inventory, the 17 uses a high impedance electret mic just like GA, so I'm thinking the Bose helicopter model which has the U-174 plug would work but... I went and looked up the C-17 issued DC's wiring diagram, http://www.davidclark.com/PDFFiles/PL19518P-03.pdf , come to find out they have a non standard earphone impedance as well--1200 Ohms hooked in parallel for a total of 600 Ohms vs the standard of around 300 ohms for every other headset I could find DC, bose etc... I'm probably over thinking it.

ANR is NOT authorized in the C-17. It failed the one test done by AMC 33d Test folks years back and has been back-burner, but actively slow-leaked since. No love from any SPO.

The CAWS/betty has an issue as do the intercom panels at a tech. acceptance/Boeing level.

Document your hearing loss over the years.

Only use the issued C-17 DC headset, period.

Yes, some ANRs do work and were even bought and given out. Not iaw afi/t.o.- just well intentioned use of plasma screen $.....

I have an older Peltor ANR from my Pitts that seemed to work great w/ just a cord adapter.

Ask your DOV for status, Next update in spring...

Edited by moosepileit

ANR is NOT authorized in the C-17. It failed the one test done by AMC 33d Test folks years back and has been back-burner, but actively slow-leaked since. No love from any SPO.

The CAWS/betty has an issue as do the intercom panels at a tech. acceptance/Boeing level.

Document your hearing loss over the years.

Only use the issued C-17 DC headset, period.

Yes, some ANRs do work and were even bought and given out. Not iaw afi/t.o.- just well intentioned use of plasma screen $.....

I have an older Peltor ANR from my Pitts that seemed to work great w/ just a cord adapter.

Ask your DOV for status, Next update in spring...

Interesting, hadn't considered betty, although the alerts that aren't routed through the comm system are loud enough to penetrate any headset, I wonder why ANR failed tests.

Anybody know what the MC-12 guys are flying with? Are they using civil-impedance headsets, or does the airplane use single-plug military impedance headsets?

Civil (high) impedance w/ a single mil-style jack. However, the original headset jacks (std GA) are still there & still wired in (the mil jack was just spliced into the existing wiring) for the pilots, so you can also use a std GA headset.

That last part may be dated--my info is current as of June and applies to the aircraft at Balad. There may be a push on the mx side to remove those GA jacks, I don't know.

Civil (high) impedance w/ a single mil-style jack. However, the original headset jacks (std GA) are still there & still wired in (the mil jack was just spliced into the existing wiring) for the pilots, so you can also use a std GA headset.

That last part may be dated--my info is current as of June and applies to the aircraft at Balad. There may be a push on the mx side to remove those GA jacks, I don't know.

Weren't the Balad airframes all retrofitted aircraft that were purchased off the commercial market? I'm wondering if the custom-built 350ERs that make up the bulk of the fleet now had the civilian stuff left out.

Weren't the Balad airframes all retrofitted aircraft that were purchased off the commercial market? I'm wondering if the custom-built 350ERs that make up the bulk of the fleet now had the civilian stuff left out.

Yes to Balad--and that's my point about the potential changes. However, I've flown several of the new airplanes, and they all still had the setup I describe. Down the road, I don't know. I can see the GA-style dual plugs coming out, but I doubt that converting the entire interphone system to a low-impedance would make any sense. You're probably safe w/ any GA headset; if you get to the point where you need to plug a dual-plug into a single plug, those adapters are cheap. Also, as EE pointed out earlier, the manufacturers are pretty good about providing conversions....

• 10 months later...

Unlike most of the jets in the USAF inventory, the 17 uses a high impedance electret mic just like GA, so I'm thinking the Bose helicopter model which has the U-174 plug would work but... I went and looked up the C-17 issued DC's wiring diagram, http://www.davidclar...PL19518P-03.pdf , come to find out they have a non standard earphone impedance as well--1200 Ohms hooked in parallel for a total of 600 Ohms vs the standard of around 300 ohms for every other headset I could find DC, bose etc... I'm probably over thinking it.

thread revival.. So I bought this MIL to GA adapter for my C-17 headset:

http://www.marvgolden.com/mg-09-helicopter-to-g-a-headset-adapter.html

And it worked in a Cessna 182. The earphone impedance was definitely higher as I had to turn the volume all the way up to hear everything. I'm going to mod my headset and see if I can reduce it down to 300 ohms since I'll never get to fly a C-17 again anyways.

Guest Crew Report

thread revival.. So I bought this MIL to GA adapter for my C-17 headset:

http://www.marvgolden.com/mg-09-helicopter-to-g-a-headset-adapter.html

And it worked in a Cessna 182. The earphone impedance was definitely higher as I had to turn the volume all the way up to hear everything. I'm going to mod my headset and see if I can reduce it down to 300 ohms since I'll never get to fly a C-17 again anyways.

Not to get your hopes up, but I saw a prior Creech guy going through KC-135 requal this week.

Not to get your hopes up, but I saw a prior Creech guy going through KC-135 requal this week.

Nice! I didn't know anyone actually got out. I'm not holding my breath though.

So I ordered these 300 ohm ear pieces for my C-17 Headset:

https://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/product_details.jsp?id=prod00200982413498240_JEPP_bu

at $45 bucks each it's still cheaper buying a brand new comparable david clark GA headset. Hopefully these will make my headset 100% GA.

Yes to Balad--and that's my point about the potential changes. However, I've flown several of the new airplanes, and they all still had the setup I describe. Down the road, I don't know. I can see the GA-style dual plugs coming out, but I doubt that converting the entire interphone system to a low-impedance would make any sense. You're probably safe w/ any GA headset; if you get to the point where you need to plug a dual-plug into a single plug, those adapters are cheap. Also, as EE pointed out earlier, the manufacturers are pretty good about providing conversions....

I got my UDM to order the Bose A20 with the U-174 (mil plug and GA impedance mic). Loved 'em at training. Then got here and flying operational length sorties they really pay dividends. They're light on the cranium, works great. The ANR is awesome. Not required, most dudes here have the DCs and the 350 cockpit isn't that loud. As someone else said, they are flimsy. I could see these things getting crunched if not treated carefully. We've got both flavors of aircraft, works equally well on each.

Edited by 2xAGM114