Headset questions

Guest Jetjock19

Guest Jetjock19

I tried the search function but to no avail. I am looking for a site where I can get the David Clark headset comfort kit. Its the one with the big ear pads. Mine took a fall and I need new ones. Does anyone have a site or a direction they could point me in? thanks.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sleepy

If you want the DC gel cups, go here and support B-Ops.

They might have the Oregon Aero stuff that Hydro mentioned, but I didn't see it on a quick search.

From what you describe, it doesn't sound like what you need is military specific. DC has two different series and different models within each series. H10- is one series; H20- is the other. Make sure what you get is compatible with whichever series you have. My guess is that you have an H10-76--check headband for model.

Again, I say try to support B-Ops first by purchasing from an advertiser. If that doesn't work, check PM.

EDIT: disregard PM--I didn't send it. You beat me by a minute.

[ 01. June 2006, 13:11: Message edited by: sleepy ]

Guest Jetjock19

Yeah ive got the H10-76 military. I use a plug adapter to use it in my cessna as well as my 130's. But i found the right ones. Thanks for all the help

Guest Jetjock19

Did I miss something on Ebay? Because I searched all over Ebay and couldnt find a thing.

• 1 month later...
Guest MikeB

Hey guys, I have been looking at 2 specific headsets that are made by david clark and wanted to see which one's you guys would choose if you had the option. I'm looking at the H10-13.4 and the H10-60. Now they both have their pros and cons such as the 60's costing a little more and they are a little more heavy, which I'm not sure if I should take that into consideration. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Guest rtstolwo

I have the 13.4 and I love it. I am a huge fan of the pliable mic boom. I have never been fond of the hinged booms because the hinges may weaken and the mic might not want to stay put. I have never owned a headset with hinged boom but I used one once and I could not keep the mic up to my mouth, I had to hold it up when I wanted to talk or transmit. As far as the weight, I can't imagine that you would even notice.

The 13.4 is all the headset you will ever need...but that's just one man's opinion.

[ 20. July 2006, 19:53: Message edited by: rtstolwo ]

Guest sleepy

From a guy who sells these things, I think you're splitting hairs. Have you been able to put each one on your melon? If so, go with the one that's most comfortable.

If you decide on the 13.4, get the 13.4s (stereo). It's only a couple bucks more.

Feel free to PM me with any weird questions, and I'll try to answer when I go back to the office.

Guest MikeB

Roger that. What's the difference between the Stereo verses the Mono? I could never understand it. Would having the Stereo model verses a regular 13.4 limit me to where I could plug these in. Not sure how it works exacly. Thanks.

[ 20. July 2006, 20:13: Message edited by: MikeB ]

Guest sleepy

MikeB--I've been drinking, so I'm not going to try to explain what stereo is. I mean, it's one of those things that involves hand motions and such. Get my drift?

Any takers? I'd only sound stupid. Imagine that... dammit, you're not supposed to laugh at that.

Yeah, I'm pretty F-ing ignorant...I even had to call my brother for help turning on the damn DVD player so I could watch a movie tonight. Doesn't do much for my pride. Note to self: send lady to bathroom while setting up flick.

Guest sleepy
Originally posted by MikeB:

Hehe well if no one else does, explain it when you feel better :-P

When I feel better? I felt better last night with a buzz. Now I'm at work. When do you think I felt better?

Here goes nuttin'...

You asked: "What's the difference between the Stereo verses the Mono?"

Stereo v. Mono has to do with sound waves. Mono obviously means one--one wave. Stereo sends two signals, one for each ear, if you will, which results in a better sound. You can plug a mono headset into a stereo system. I might be wrong, but the phone plug on the mono headset will only have one ring on it. Therefore, the stereo aspect of the system won't have an effect on the headset. You will only being pulling one of the signals.

Conversely, if you plug a stereo headset into a mono system, you will only have sound in one ear cup. The thing about stereo headsets is they have a mono/stereo switch. If you ever encounter this problem, flip the switch. Nine times out of ten, it corrects the problem. Having a stereo headset with a mono system does not limit you to one ear--just remember to flip the switch. Having a mono headset on a stereo system will limit sound quality.

"Would having the Stereo model verses a regular 13.4 limit me to where I could plug these in?"

No. See above. There is a small HOWEVER, here: From what I hear, Bose headsets don't work well in Citations. Take that with a shaker of salt.

Hope that both helps and makes sense. Maybe a guru will call me an idiot and correct my misspeaks.

Stereophonic sound, commonly called stereo, is the reproduction of sound, using two independent audio channels, through a pair of widely separated speaker systems, in such a way as to create a pleasant and natural impression of sound heard from various directions as in natural hearing. It is often opposed to mono, where audio is in the form of one channel, often centered in the sound field. (Wiki)
Cheers! M2

Guest MikeB

Alright, that being said, would you personally recommend the H10-13S? Does that have a "switch" to change it from stereo to mono if need be. Final question is how do you know if it's a stereo or mono system? If there is switch on the 13S, where would it be located? Thanks.

Guest sleepy

Are you still talking about the 13.4S? I don't know of a -13S.

On the 13.4S, the switch is on the side of the plastic "transfew case" where the individual mic and phone cords join into the single cord that goes to the earcup.

If you have anymore questoins, let's carry it to a PM. It's probably getting boring for the masses.

Just curious but speaking from a nonaviator perspective, whats the usefulness of a stereo headset in the cockpit? I would assume it has a use besides listening to music which is what I've always associated stereo with benefiting, piping different feeds to each channel perhaps?

If $ isn't an option go for the Bose noise cancelling jobs. Some people swear by them others like me...whatever it's a headset and the battereis always die when you need the most so I don't use them (Yes defeats the purpose of a $1000 headset but hey...didn't come out of my pocket). I like the feel of my DC's better too. The Bose are really flimsy as well, countless sets have been brke in my sqdn.

Cooter

Guest Apollo

If you fly cessnas, I recommend the 13.4s if they fit your melon well. I think noise cancellation is crap if the airplane you fly isn't that loud. Back when I instructed, I could pick out the slightest change in rpm or a mag going rough simply by listening to the engine. The sounds you hear are important. Now, if you are flying something that is loud as shit, go ahead and go with noise cancellation. The only noise cancellation I use now are the earplugs under my helmet.

[ 22. July 2006, 13:42: Message edited by: Apollo ]

My opinion.

If you wear them for longer than 2 hours at a time, every ounce counts. The lighter they are, the longer you can wear them without noticing them.

The Bose are flimsy, but they fold up and take up less space in your bag. Noise cancellation is overrated (unless you are on a 130, I guess). However, the Bose are more comfortable. If you aren't footing the bill, go for the Bose.

I second the opinion on the flexible boom mike. They are much better than the hinged mikes. If you go with the DC's, get the one's with the flexible mike.

• 7 months later...
Guest 2a5x1

i have recently acquired a pair of david clark ENC headsets...they have a single plug (u-174) military...ive tried a general aviation dual plug, but i can only hear no transmit...my next option is to purchase a dual impedance convertor (high-to-low)...has anyone had experience with using a mil. headset for GA ?

i have recently acquired a pair of david clark ENC headsets...they have a single plug (u-174) military...ive tried a general aviation dual plug, but i can only hear no transmit...my next option is to purchase a dual impedance convertor (high-to-low)...has anyone had experience with using a mil. headset for GA ?

They work just fine with the convertor. No real difference in quality or anything if thats what youre asking about.