Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

Guest soflguy
Anyone have any quick and easy ways to show ID and then get rolling right away when on the bike? I am always fumbling around to salute the gate gaurd and get my ID back in my wallet when going through the main gate...especially when there are cars behind me waiting to get in.

I just always kind of figure the people behind can deal with it. Although, I have seen some people with those armbands that hold your ID visible on your arm... may make for easier access(sts)?

Guest JollyFlight21

I put my ID in one of my gloves and just pull it out when I get to the gate in the summer. In the winter, I fumble and make people wait.

I put my ID in one of my gloves and just pull it out when I get to the gate in the summer. In the winter, I fumble and make people wait.

I was thinking of taking the clear plastic part of one of those armband ID holders and somehow sticking it to the underside of the windscreen. Should make for easier access at the gate. Of course, its been 20 degrees, icy/snowy, and nasty here in Germany so I haven't ridden in awhile.

• 2 months later...

For anyone who rode while in college...

I park my bike in an underground albeit unsecured parking lot. True to form, (presumably) drunk college kids kicked it over. Just to put the cherry on top, I think they peed on it. :flipoff: Needless to say, I'm kind of pissed right now, and am looking for some ideas. Are there any solutions other than to find some secure parking?

Edit: I read the Maddox article. Point taken.

Edited by Port Dog

I park my bike in an underground albeit unsecured parking lot. True to form, (presumably) drunk college kids kicked it over. Just to put the cherry on top, I think they peed on it. :flipoff: Needless to say, I'm kind of pissed right now (no pun intended), and am looking for some ideas. Are there any solutions other than to find some secure parking?

29ft1yp.gif

Sorry, had to do it. Not much you can really do in this case. Drunk college kids are going to be drunk college kids. Unless you post a guard or put it in a garage chances are it will get messed with.

Move off campus. If you can't do that, find someone off campus that will let you store your bike at their place. Preferably someone with a garage.

If you can't do that, get a bike cover. You'll be amazed at what a deterrent it is, many drunk college clowns don't have the ability to realize there is a motorcycle under there. Get one you can lock, and preferably not one of the lightweight ones from WalMart as those don't last.

Or, park out someplace in the open where a lot of people can keep an eye out on your bike. Sometimes the fact that it is outside of public areas isn't a good idea either. Or if you find someplace that is really concealed, that would work as well.

A last option would be one of those public storage places. I kept one of my bikes there for a few months as I knew it would be safe.

God luck.

Cheers! M2

This vest works great to hold your ID and it's made by Icon. The guards here don't even ask for the ID to removed and the scanners they use still work through the plastic.

2830-MSVI-ICON-Military-Spec-Safety-Vest-Instructor-Orange.jpg

Looks nice...is there a link on where to buy one?

Good thread. I've never rode before, but I'm lookin to get into it. It seems like cruisers are the best option for FNG riders. Any recomendations on a cruiser for a real beginner?

You can get 70 miles to the gallon on this hog

minibike-777978.JPG

Guest Wh4tig0t
Good thread. I've never rode before, but I'm lookin to get into it. It seems like cruisers are the best option for FNG riders. Any recomendations on a cruiser for a real beginner?

If your not vertically challenged, you could go with a KLR650, its been a really good beginner bike for me. Didn't seem to mind too much when i used to lay it down in the parking lot or other stupid stuff like that.

I park my bike in an underground albeit unsecured parking lot. True to form, (presumably) drunk college kids kicked it over. Just to put the cherry on top, I think they peed on it. :flipoff: Needless to say, I'm kind of pissed right now, and am looking for some ideas. Are there any solutions other than to find some secure parking?

I rode a POS in college, that way, I didn't care what happened to it. However, in the 5+ glorious years on the best campus in the south, nothing happened to it. Probably because the drunk college kids felt sorry for the owner?

Looks nice...is there a link on where to buy one?

Just check on E-bay and you can get them for under $50 w/ shipping included. I shop here at http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ but it looks like the site is down temporarily. I think it was slightly cheaper too. There is another type made by Fieldsheer but I don't know about the quality. http://www.motoworldonline.com/Fieldsheer-...est_p_2802.html

Joe Rocket also has this jacket that has the reflective vest built in and you can stow it.

20382.JPG

I would recommend buying a used bike on your base's "Lemon Lot". If you are interested in riding a cruiser, I'd recommend a 750CC-1100CC bike. I own a used Yamaha V-Star 1100, and I love it. It was not too much bike for me to start with either. If you like sport bikes, I'd recommend Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki that is about 600CCs. It's a lot of fun, but I hate wearing all the protective gear.

Guest IncompletePete
I would recommend buying a used bike on your base's "Lemon Lot". If you are interested in riding a cruiser, I'd recommend a 750CC-1100CC bike. I own a used Yamaha V-Star 1100, and I love it. It was not too much bike for me to start with either. If you like sport bikes, I'd recommend Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki that is about 600CCs. It's a lot of fun, but I hate wearing all the protective gear.

For an FNG, get something like a Suzuki Bandit, Yamaha Fazer or Honda Hornet. Plenty fast enough, yet very forgiving for when you f*ck up, but if you do crash it the parts are pretty cheap and easy to get. However, as you improve, you'll find the bikes to be pretty adaptable and only when you're really pushing them will you find their limits.

I'll be honest, I've never go the appeal of cruisers - where's the fun in plodding along on a big lazy v-twin?!

Edited by IncompletePete

I just always kind of figure the people behind can deal with it. Although, I have seen some people with those armbands that hold your ID visible on your arm... may make for easier access(sts)?

I bought one of the arm bands mentioned. $10 and it works great.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an ATGATT rider and fully agree with you, but it just doesn't fit the image of a Harley rider to be fully decked out in protective gear.

Honestly, who gives a fuck? I think that dumbasses that don't wear gear because of an "image" are God's way of thinning out the herd...

And that isn't just the cruiser/Harley crowd, I see the same stupidity with sportbike riders all the time. Our family favorite is seeing some Vanilla Ice-wannabe riding with his Oakleys and backward goober hat with a helmet hanging off of the back of the bike. I guess it is for his imaginary girlfriend... :thumbsup:

Having unintentionally dragged my sorry ass across pavement on a few occassions, I really don't give a flying fuck what I look like...road rash is a mother! Hell, when I picked up my Repsol just north of Dallas one sunny August day, I was in full black Alpinestar leathers, boots and gloves with a full-face Arai when temps were in the triple digits. Everytime I stopped for gas on my 300+ mile journey home, I downed a huge bottle of Gatorade and it wasn't until after the trip that I noticed I hadn't pissed once the entire way!

There are enough ways to kill yourself on a motorcycle, at least you can eliminate a few of them by wearing the right gear!

Cheers! M2

Guest IncompletePete
There are enough ways to kill yourself on a motorcycle, at least you can eliminate a few of them by wearing the right gear!

My only crash so far was at 40mph went the front slipped out on some ice. Even though I was wearing all the right gear it still hurt like hell for a few days after, but at least I didn't have road rash to add to the pain.

I must admit though that a guy on a Harley doesn't look 'right' in full gear though....

@M2: Check out kangaroo leathers - I've got a set and they're significantly lighter and cooler than regular cow hide, but you do end up paying a premium for them.

@M2: Check out kangaroo leathers - I've got a set and they're significantly lighter and cooler than regular cow hide, but you do end up paying a premium for them.

I-Pete

I've seen 'Roo leathers before, I believe they are also tougher as well; but the price tag has kept me wearing cow. My Alpinestars are pretty comfortable in most conditions, and during the height of the summer I wear a Camelbak to ensure I don't dehydrate. But no matter how high the temps get, I am not going to risk my hide dragging across the pavement...

Cheers! M2

I'm looking to get a streetbike in the next month or so with my LT loan. I've never actually ridden one but they look like fun and I'd like to have one. Any advice on where to start? Obviously I'm not going to be retarded and I'm planning on taking a rider class soon so I don't get myself killed.

I'm looking to get a streetbike in the next month or so with my LT loan. I've never actually ridden one but they look like fun and I'd like to have one. Any advice on where to start? Obviously I'm not going to be retarded and I'm planning on taking a rider class soon so I don't get myself killed.

By streetbike do you mean a sportbike or cruiser?

Either way, don't let anyone (especially the dealer) talk you into a bigger, faster, cooler bike. You can always upgrade and a bike that's too much will scare you more than you'll enjoy it anyway. I saw a guy leave a brand new $10,000 bike in the garage for almost two years before he finally sold it. It was just too much for him, but was talked into it by friends.

Good cruisers, in my ever so humble opinion, to start on would be a VStar 650, Honda Shadow 750, or maybe a Sporster if you want to spend a little extra cash and wouldn't cry when you dropped a Harley. You can get insured on one of those first two for about $200/year. I'm not a huge fan of sport bikes, but anything around the 600 mark would probably be ok. I hear the YZF600 (not the R6 or R1) is a pretty good first sport bike. Of course there's always dirt. Cheaper, more fun, and it doesn't hurt as bad when you go ass over end.

I know you said you were going to take the safety course, but start there. Don't buy a bike and then go. It'll give you a better appreciation for what you can (or want to) handle.

Just my 2 pesos.

I hear the YZF600 (not the R6 or R1) is a pretty good first sport bike.

Yes it is. A buddy of mine used this as his trainer. I rode it a few times and it was a great beginners bike. I also recommend a Ducati Monster 600 as a great beginner and really good for women as they tend to sit fairly low to the ground. Plus the riding position isn't as forward as a lot of the other sport bikes out there.