Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

I've only been riding for a few years, i'm conservative MSF trained, and ride a harley slow so; knock on wood, no accident yet, however. . . .I've been in the military for awhile now (17 yrs), and i'll share what i've experienced through close friends, coworkers.

3 deaths, all 3 involving other cars, 1 was speeding(excessively)and car was turning around on an on-ramp in the dark and he t-boned them. One was a young Marine that worked for me, and bought a sportbike with no experience, and layed it down into oncoming traffic (sharp curve) after about 40 miles of total time. 3rd was sitting a stop light and an old lady bumped him in the ass (sts)at about 5mph and he hit his head on the pavement, died after about 90 days of coma. . .helmet would have saved his ass for sure, his bike wasnt even damaged.

I know SEVERAL dudes that have had minor lay downs etc. and all involved cars either pulling out in front of them or merging into them. We also had a guy hit a deer last year and f-ed him up good.

I swore for years that I would never ride one of these death traps, even though i've always wanted one. Our D.O. calls riders P.O.D's (possible organ donors). i finally decided that I could die any minute for any number of reasons and that i wasnt going to spend my life worrying, when i could be living. . . As a result i took up motorcylces, cocaine, filthy hookers, walking after dark without a reflective belt, and swimming in deep water, while drunk. . . . actually just motorcycles, but i suspect hookers and blow would be fun. i wouldn't give my bike up now for anything, i love it. .

be careful. .

Thanks for the response and glad to hear you have been fortunate in this light!

Copy. I was in a pretty nasty bicycle accident so I am a firm believer in PPE saving skin. I was never too confident in jeans doing too much for a person in a motorcycle accident, and the more I read the less I debate getting some overpants.

Have you continued to ride since the accident? Given your experience and training, do you encourage people to ride or have you deemed it too risky?

I have continued riding since the accident and still find it just as fun as before. The only difference now though is that I pay more attention to others around me.

I've ridden bikes since I was a kid, but have owned one (or more) since 95'. I've had two accidents, the first was on an interstate, got hit from behind when my roomate fell asleep with the cruise control on. (you can't make this shit up) I bounced down I-95 for a few hundred feet and was more than lucky when nothing hit me. I broke a bone in my wrist, got a little bit of road rash when my leather jacket got pulled up and had some nasty whiplash.

The second incident was just before I left for Lakenheath (my first assignment after the b course). I was back home in TN visiting my folks and my brand new GSXR 1000 was being picked up the next morning to ship it to England. I decided to go up to the mtns to say goodbye to my friends at Deal's Gap. I grew up riding the dragon and it was an easy ride from home. I said my goodbye's and actually slowed down on the way home just taking in the scenery. As always when riding good mountain roads I had a full set of leathers on as well as a back protector, boots gloves and my trusty Arai. I entered a blind left hand decreasing radius turn (just past the pick nick tables if anyone's familiar), I was kneed down when a car coming from the other direction entered my lane. I stood the bike up and thankfully missed the oncoming car, however I was quickly running out of road. When I put my knee back down and turned for all I had the rear tire got into some sand/dirt/gravel/something slick by the edge of the road and down I went. The car kept going, I laid in the ditch for a couple of hours. A biker had stopped within 5 mins of the crash and sent someone to a pay phone, but the ambulance was a couple of hours out. I don't remember much after the accident other than a lot of pain, being pulled out of a helicopter and waking up in a hospital. I had broken my left humorous about 4" from the shoulder, the lower part of my arm had twisted around going "up" from the break essentially. It tore all the tendons and ligaments in my shoulder. I had torn my right rotators cuff, slipped two disks in my neck, had 7 staples in my skull and cracked two ribs. But, the helmet and my gear saved my life.

I think back to that day occasionally. Yes, I know if I'd been going slower I wouldn't have been run off the road - thank you for the 1,000th time. I figure that's one of the things you have to learn the hard way. I had done some amateur racing in college and a few track days since then, but the Gap had always been my favorite track. Since then I've slowed down on the road and sped up on the track. I still ride "too fast" on public roads sometimes, but it's a calculated risk and one I accept. I am a huge advocate of the right gear and the right bike. I've taken several MSF safety courses and 5 track schools in two different countries. I still ride about 10k miles every year on my BMW and try to fit in at least 3 track weekends on the Aprilia although it's getting harder as I get older. Standby: this is probably more than you were looking for, but the stories get longer when you are deployed...

I've only been riding for a few years, i'm conservative MSF trained, and ride a harley slow so; knock on wood, no accident yet, however. . . .I've been in the military for awhile now (17 yrs), and i'll share what i've experienced through close friends, coworkers.

Thanks for taking the time to share that, definitely helps.

I have continued riding since the accident and still find it just as fun as before. The only difference now though is that I pay more attention to others around me.

Awesome, good to know.

Standby: this is probably more than you were looking for, but the stories get longer when you are deployed...

Not at all, the more the better - just trying to be a sponge right now.

I minimize my exposure by riding a bike so loud, uncomfortable, and badass that I only ride it for 20 minutes at a time.

The SM I want to get fulfills one of those requirements, figure that gives me 40 minutes on the road.

Unless the info is outdated, seems like a few dudes are from the Panhandle area. HWY 98 seems like a death trap in the summer (plus it's flat & straight), any worthwhile rides in AL?

Guest AFsock

We were talking about this thread at work and someone passed this along. Said it was a safety message from a past base. 10% rule or not, it's an enjoyable read with a few useful tidbits.

> Neighborhood Hazard

> (or: Why the Cops Won't Patrol Brice Street)

>

>

> I never dreamed slowly cruising through a residential neighborhood could be so incredibly dangerous!

> Studies have shown that motorcycling requires more decisions per second, and more sheer data processing than nearly any other common activity or sport. The reactions and accurate decision making abilities needed have been likened to the reactions of fighter pilots! The consequences of bad decisions or poor situational awareness are pretty much the same for both groups too.

>

> Occasionally, as a rider I have caught myself starting to make bad or late decisions while riding. In flight training, my instructors called this being "behind the power curve". It is a mark of experience that when this begins to happen, the rider recognizes the situation, and more importantly, does something about it. A short break, a meal, or even a gas stop can set things right again as it gives the brain a chance to catch up.

>

> Good, accurate, and timely decisions are essential when riding a motorcycle...at least if you want to remain among the living. In short, the brain needs to keep up with the machine.

> I had been banging around the roads of east Texas and as I headed back into Dallas, found myself in very heavy, high-speed traffic on the freeways. Normally, this is not a problem, I commute in these conditions daily, but suddenly I was nearly run down by a cage that decided it needed my lane more than I did. This is not normally a big deal either, as it happens around here often, but usually I can accurately predict which drivers are not paying attention and avoid them before we are even close. This one I missed seeing until it was nearly too late, and as I took evasive action I nearly broadsided another car that I was not even aware was there!

>

> Two bad decisions and insufficient situational awareness...all within seconds. I was behind the power curve. Time to get off the freeway.

>

> I hit the next exit, and as I was in an area I knew pretty well, headed through a few big residential neighborhoods as a new route home. As I turned onto the nearly empty streets I opened the visor on my full-face helmet to help get some air. I figured some slow riding through the quiet surface streets would give me time to relax, think, and regain that "edge" so frequently required when riding. Little did I suspect...

>

> As I passed an oncoming car, a brown furry missile shot out from under it and tumbled to a stop immediately in front of me. It was a squirrel, and must have been trying to run across the road when it encountered the car. I really was not going very fast, but there was no time to brake or avoid it-it was that close.

>

> I hate to run over animals...and I really hate it on a motorcycle, but a squirrel should pose no danger to me. I barely had time to brace for the impact. Animal lovers, never fear. Squirrels can take care of themselves! Inches before impact, the squirrel flipped to his feet. He was standing on his hind legs and facing the oncoming Valkyrie with steadfast resolve in his little beady eyes. His mouth opened, and at the last possible second, he screamed and leapt! I am pretty sure the scream was squirrel for, "Banzai!" or maybe, "Die you gravy-sucking, heathen scum!" as the leap was spectacular and he flew over the windshield and impacted me squarely in the chest.

>

> Instantly he set upon me. If I did not know better I would have sworn he brought twenty of his little buddies along for the attack. Snarling, hissing, and tearing at my clothes, he was a frenzy of activity. As I was dressed only in a light t-shirt, summer riding gloves, and jeans this was a bit of a cause for concern. This furry little tornado was doing some damage!

>

> Picture a large man on a huge black and chrome cruiser, dressed in jeans, a t-shirt, and leather gloves puttering maybe 25mph down a quiet residential street...and in the fight of his life with a squirrel. And losing.

>

> I grabbed for him with my left hand and managed to snag his tail. With all my strength I flung the evil rodent off the left of the bike, almost running into the right curb as I recoiled from the throw.

> That should have done it. The matter should have ended right there. It really should have. The squirrel could have sailed into one of the pristinely kept yards and gone on about his business, and I could have headed home. No one would have been the wiser.

>

> But this was no ordinary squirrel. This was not even an ordinary pissed-off squirrel. This was an evil attack squirrel of death!

>

> Somehow he caught my gloved finger with one of his little hands, and with the force of the throw swung around and with a resounding thump and an amazing impact he landed square on my back and resumed his rather anti-social and extremely distracting activities. He also managed to take my left glove with him!

> The situation was not improved. Not improved at all. His attacks were continuing, and now I could not reach him.

>

> I was startled to say the least. The combination of the force of the throw, only having one hand (the throttle hand) on the handlebars, and my jerking back unfortunately put a healthy twist through my right hand and into the throttle. A healthy twist on the throttle of a Valkyrie can only have one result. Torque. This is what the Valkyrie is made for, and she is very, very good at it.

>

> The engine roared as the front wheel left the pavement. The squirrel screamed in anger. The Valkyrie screamed in ecstasy. I screamed in...well...I just plain screamed.

>

> Now picture a large man on a huge black and chrome cruiser, dressed in jeans, a slightly squirrel torn t-shirt, and only one leather glove roaring at maybe 70mph and rapidly accelerating down a quiet residential street...on one wheel and with a demonic squirrel on his back. The man and the squirrel are both screaming bloody murder.

>

> With the sudden acceleration I was forced to put my other hand back on the handlebars and try to get control of the bike. This was leaving the mutant squirrel to his own devices, but I really did not want to crash into somebody's tree, house, or parked car. Also, I had not yet figured out how to release the throttle...my brain was just simply overloaded. I did manage to mash the back brake, but it had little affect against the massive power of the big cruiser.

>

> About this time the squirrel decided that I was not paying sufficient attention to this very serious battle (maybe he is a Scottish attack squirrel of death), and he came around my neck and got IN my full-face helmet with me. As the faceplate closed partway and he began hissing in my face I am quite sure my screaming changed tone and intensity. It seemed to have little affect on the squirrel however.

> The rpm's on The Dragon maxed out (I was not concerned about shifting at the moment) and her front end started to drop.

>

> Now picture the large man on the huge black and chrome cruiser, dressed in jeans, a very ragged torn t-shirt, and wearing one leather glove, roaring at probably 80mph, still on one wheel, with a large puffy squirrel's tail sticking out his mostly closed full-face helmet. By now the screams are probably getting a little hoarse.

>

> Finally I got the upper hand...I managed to grab his tail again, pulled him out of my helmet, and slung him to the left as hard as I could. This time it worked...sort-of. Spectacularly sort-of, so to speak.

> Picture the scene. You are a cop. You and your partner have pulled off on a quiet residential street and parked with your windows down to do some paperwork.

>

> Suddenly a large man on a huge black and chrome cruiser, dressed in jeans, a torn t-shirt flapping in the breeze, and wearing one leather glove, moving at probably 80mph on one wheel, and screaming bloody murder roars by and with all his strength throws a live squirrel grenade directly into your police car.

>

> I heard screams. They weren't mine...

>

> I managed to get the big motorcycle under directional control and dropped the front wheel to the ground. I then used maximum braking and skidded to a stop in a cloud of tire smoke at the stop sign at a busy cross street.

>

> I would have returned to fess up (and to get my glove back). I really would have. Really. But for two things. First, the cops did not seem interested or the slightest bit concerned about me at the moment. One of them was on his back in the front yard of the house they had been parked in front of and was rapidly crabbing backwards away from the patrol car. The other was standing in the street and was training a riot shotgun on the police cruiser.

>

> So the cops were not interested in me. They often insist to "let the professionals handle it" anyway. That was one thing. The other? Well, I swear I could see the squirrel, standing in the back window of the patrol car among shredded and flying pieces of foam and upholstery, and shaking his little fist at me. I think he was shooting me the finger...

>

> That is one dangerous squirrel. And now he has a patrol car...

>

> I took a deep breath, turned on my turn-signal, made an easy right turn, and sedately left the neighborhood.

>

> As for my easy and slow drive home? Screw it. Faced with a choice of 80mph cars and inattentive drivers, or the evil, demonic, attack squirrel of death...I'll take my chances with the freeway. Every time.

> And I'll buy myself a new pair of gloves.

Sponge is a good state of mind. Riding's like flying. If you're not always learning, you're doing it wrong.

We were talking about this thread at work and someone passed this along. Said it was a safety message from a past base. 10% rule or not, it's an enjoyable read with a few useful tidbits.

Certainly entertaining.

My brother and I took MSF together and he purchased an 06 GS500F this weekend. Purchased a new battery (no charger though) and barely got the bike cranked. Have only tooled it in my small neighborhood but it's definitely easy to ride. It is a FL bike that sat for awhile and thus needs a new chain and possibly sprocket.

I am planning on picking up an 08 WR250X despite the fact that I'm a short dude.

That KTM is beyond awesome; yz's fighter is rad as well.

Edit: I also have about three weeks remaining for AutoCheck.com if you want VIN information pulled.

Edited by Standby

Guest AFsock

finally got a new scooter, too bad the roads around hell rio turned out to be terrifying and boring to boot, counting the days until I get to leave

Nice Bike!

There's some decent-terrifying riding around the Rio if you want to get out there. If you haven't tried them yet -

Warnings - Watch the pavement in town. Especially come summertime it bakes and turns into glass. Also, some roads have random washes/driveways that are covered in gravel. And as always, watch for the drivers, deer, and vultures. They're all suicidal.

Best riding (in Texas) - 3 Sisters: http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/the3s.html (There are curves that are marked 5mph... so it's an advanced ride but there is some gorgeous scenery and even some nice rivers to view and raft etc)

Nice mid length ride - Head up to Rocksprings. It's not listed here but if you head North out of town and around the lake it's a really pleasant ride with some nice sweepers (277-377). There's a border checkpoint along the way, so keep the ID handy!

Good short ride - We would head out and do this 2-3 times in an afternoon. It's really quiet with some decent 35~55 mph turns (suggested) and the only folks we ever saw out there were Agents. I think it was 277-377-FM 2523 but that's only based off of where 2523 hits the 90.

And if you ever want a change of pace, ride down 277 to Eagle Pass. It's totally a cruise but you can grab some different food and make it in an afternoon.

Beyond that man we'd just get out and go explore (try and find Wizard etc). You can get just about anywhere on a tank of gas and the weather is great for riding (on sunny days).

Edited by AFsock

Anybody have experience with overpants and their actual crash protection? I don't plan on commuting on a bike, but it would be nice to have that option. I have seen the lack of protection that a pair of jeans offers...can only imagine how much more painful it would be in a flight suit.

Most people using Progressive for insurance?

Edited by Standby

+1 on 3 Sisters.

Shop around (sadly USAA doesn't do bikes), my full coverage insurance doubled when I moved to TX.

They still insure motorcyles if you had them before they stopped - so I was able to keep my bike insured with USAA.

Guest AFsock

Progressive. Other than paying the bill, haven't had any dealings with them so I can't really offer any good/bad.

Even after tearing my knees up, I still may do a cross town ride in street jeans as well as getting to work in my flight suit. I understand the protection I'm missing but it's a risk-reward thing that may differ between riders (like the idiots who are comfy in flip flops and tank tops without lids). I haven't crash tested them, but when I'm not in my leathers I ride in a pair of riding jeans I picked up at CycleGear (This brand, not sure about the model- http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=41&L3=167&L4=169&item=FTL_RED009-AZ-30_G ). They have CE knee pads (which probably would have protected my knees from the impact that really cut them deep) and heavier stitching, kevlar and denim. I've looked at overpants but never seen any that fit natural and are as comfortable as the riding jeans. Most don't tend to have built in knee pads and I wasn't too thrilled about the mesh version's protective abilities.

Edited by AFsock

When I became an FSO a few years ago, I made the mistake of setting an AFSAS rule to automatically send me every AF class A mishap via email: we lose LOTS of dudes every year in PMV2 mishaps, under all kinds of circumstances. It's made me more aware of the risks, and dampened my enthusiasm for riding. Got my first bike in HS in the 80s, still have one now for work/home commuting--but don't ride as often as I could.

When I was a HS sophomore, I watched a junior get nearly decapitated during a street race --he swerved around a telephone pole and caught a wire. Fatal. The next year I laid my bike down on a blind right curve and I went into the ditch and the bike went under the stopped trooper's car in front of me--no major damage to me or the bike, thank God.

A few parking lot scrapes, one lady stopped short of a stop sign (unexpectedly) that cost me a new front fender...and a bunch of slips,skids,and assorted close calls have made me a little more careful about when I open her up (sts) and corner tight.

It's a lot of fun....but carries an element of risk (what doesn't?)....ride safe!

When I was a HS sophomore, I watched a junior get nearly decapitated during a street race

Hopefully the AF riding requirements (MSF BRC, helmet, IPE, etc.) help young airmen avoid clearly unsafe behavior like illegal street racing. I'm sure it happens, but I have to believe that most riders are responsible with their bikes.

@AFsock: I saw the crash test results of some Icon jeans and didn't look much further. I will check out other brands.

@LJ: thanks for the input.

Just picked up my first street bike...08 WR250x with 1700 miles. Pics upon request.

Double post.

Edited by Standby

They still insure motorcyles if you had them before they stopped - so I was able to keep my bike insured with USAA.

Unfortunately not totally true. I've had my bikes insured with USAA since 2000. When I changed addresses (in the same state) USAA insurance said "whoa, we don't do bikes anymore." I asked them about grandfathering me (if you will). No dice, shipped me out to Progressive. Be aware.

Just got my new ride from Alamo BMW a couple weeks ago.

color_s1000rr_yellow_preview.jpg

Still doing the engine break-in so the top end is governed down until the 650 mi service, but it is more than enough to scare the bejeezus out of me already. BMW has a military promotion going on for a free safety package that includes traction control and ABS ($1500 worth of electronics) until the end of June.

Concur on USAA no longer offering insurance, got farmed out to Progressive.

I had a Yamaha RD-350 that was a pretty fast runner when it wasn't fouling plugs. Was headed out into the sticks at a good rate when I passed a panel truck...started to lean into a left sweeper and couldn't turn. Put the bike into the ditch between a tree and a section of ARMCO. The guy in the truck stopped got out and leaned over my supine (prone?) carcass and I recognized him as one of the known crazies in town but hey, he scurried off across the road and they called the Sheriff who rolled me into the back of his station wagon and off to the local sawbones for stitches. I was extremely lucky....bell rung...cut over eye..not a drop of beer on board. The kickstand was down..never retracted on contact (If you happen to have an old RD..watch out). Now I have my old Superglide. I stay off of high speed high density roads...watch the cross traffic..take a riders course once in a while PRACTICE braking and counter steer and honestly, will probably get it again sometime. I usually wear a helmet gloves etc. Don't race on the street..watch out when riding in a group unless you really trust them...careful with the cerveza. At one time you got points on the AFOQT if you rode a bike. Bikes are hard to give up....the poor mans airplane.

Unfortunately not totally true. I've had my bikes insured with USAA since 2000. When I changed addresses (in the same state) USAA insurance said "whoa, we don't do bikes anymore." I asked them about grandfathering me (if you will). No dice, shipped me out to Progressive. Be aware.

I bought my bike in 2003 and have PCS'd (changed addresses) 4 times since then and I still have my bike insurance through USAA. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky few.

I bought my bike in 2003 and have PCS'd (changed addresses) 4 times since then and I still have my bike insurance through USAA. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky few.

lucky I guess. I changed bikes and they farmed me to progressive years ago. The initial rates progressive was quoting were actually really good compared to what they quoted if you didn't get referred by USAA, but within a couple years they were quoting me ridiculous prices.