Pen flaps

Stiffler

Several......I agree with cutting them off, but I haven't seen it done. Casual status at Travis, nobody cut em off. Flown with KC-10 and KC-135 squadrons a few times since, no one had em cut off. They made fun of us for chopping em off. Maybe it's just my experience, then again I'm a fighter guy with a bias!

Of all the things that need to be addressed, I can't see how this could make the top 1000. There is a war going on and guys are yelling the merits of whether your flap is on or off. There was a helicopter that went down in Afghanistan today and 8 hero's were killed. I doubt a pen flap had anything to do with it, so maybe, just maybe we should save the keystrokes for stuff that matters like the fallen comrades and the 14 that were injured.

Of all the things that need to be addressed, I can't see how this could make the top 1000. There is a war going on and guys are yelling the merits of whether your flap is on or off. There was a helicopter that went down in Afghanistan today and 8 hero's were killed. I doubt a pen flap had anything to do with it, so maybe, just maybe we should save the keystrokes for stuff that matters like the fallen comrades and the 14 that were injured.

Unbelievable

Seriously, nobody that matters cares about this kind of crap.

Whenever I hear somebody talk about how stupid it is to have your pen flap on, I think about those people that are always saying how gay something is.

Coming from me this is freaking out there : Grow the hell up!

Seriously, nobody that matters cares about this kind of crap.

Whenever I hear somebody talk about how stupid it is to have your pen flap on, I think about those people that are always saying how gay something is.

Coming from me this is freaking out there : Grow the hell up!

welcome to the interweb

I agree that this is kind of a stupid topic, but it is pretty funny.

Soapbox time.

I thought this forum was to discuss things that have to do with military aviation? Does having a pen flap on your flightsuit fall under that category? Probably. Is it worth talking about? Probably not, but if someone wants to post it, let them post it and let them talk about it.

It's definitely a shame that people died in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan. I hope we can all learn something from the investigation of that crash. But, if you think we should be talking about Afghanistan, Iraq, or helicopter safety in a war zone, then post something about it instead of taking pot shots from the peanut gallery at people replying to a totally different thread. If you don't like the thread, don't read it! There's plenty of other topics out there and you can even start your own.

Soapbox gone.

On the actual subject. My pen flap is cut off because it get's in the freakin' way. My pens and pencils stay in the pocket w/ out the flap to hold them in there, even flying inverted. If your pen flap is gone becuase it's gay and you're a fighter pilot, or if it's still there becuase you don't want to succumb to the fighter pilot way of thinking, more power to you. Just have a reason and stick w/ it.

Let the angry replies commence.

Cheers

Smash

Not that I care whether you wear it or not, I got a flight with the Navy earlier this month, and some of the pilots and life support folks commented on the fact that I didn't have a pen flap. They said that wouldn't float, if I were a Navy pilot: they have to have them. Sort of ironic that this thread came out just after this happened.

This thread has some good comedy. Now, when does the thread on "Peter Pockets" get cranked up?