Contact  |  Baseops Wiki  |  Military Pay  |  Military Discounts  |  Air  Force UPT  |  Aviation  Jobs   |  Aviation  Medicine   |  Pilot Supplies  |  Donate

• Create Account

- - - - -

Marriage/wedding - Best time to Marry?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_curious21_*

Guest_curious21_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:28 AM

Do the students have many breaks during the first year of UPT? My fiance is headed to Sheppard in July for UPT, and we were supposed to get married in June (convenient, eh?), but I had to have surgery, and now have two more scheduled, so we had to postpone the wedding. My last surgery won't be until August...will there be an opportunity for us to be married before the end of UPT in August of 2006?

#2 Guest_Vistar1_*

Guest_Vistar1_*

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:38 AM

If you consider an "opportunity" being able to fly out on a Friday night, get married Saturday, and come back Sunday...sure, he'll have that opportunity. But there's no extended leave allowed for honeymoons, etc. unless he wants to get rolled back to the next class.

We have a couple guys in our class that are just going home for the weekend and coming back to UPT immediately. It's unfortunate, but they want to get you through as quickly as possible...otherwise UPT would be longer than just 1 year (and who wants that??).

Good Luck!
V.

#3 Guest_curious21_*

Guest_curious21_*

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:45 AM

Oh, we definitely don't want to stall things! I'm all for the quickie/elope thing, but he's a bit more into the bigger/traditional wedding, so we'll see how it goes! Maybe I'll convince him . So now that leads me to another question...if we set a date for say January of 2006 - middle of UPT - will he live in the single-guys housing on base (whatever it's called - dorms?) and then move somewhere with me or will they allow him to live in married housing or off-base considering the situation? Or do I move into his dorm or whatever? I don't give a damn, I just want to NOT be in Michigan while he's in Texas .

#4 Guest_ViperDriver98_*

Guest_ViperDriver98_*

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:25 AM

UPT bases generally give you days off over the Christmas/New Years holidays. The break could be up to 2 weeks, it all depends on the base, timeline, the command and the commanders at the time. (The 4 years I was at Laughlin AFB we were free take leave from approx. 20 Dec until 2 Jan.) Your fiancee should be able to find out when the holiday non-fly days are when he begins UPT. You may even be able to get a honeymoon in!

More Christmas wedding info here.

#5 Guest_Vistar1_*

Guest_Vistar1_*

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:42 AM

I agree with Viper...we had a full week off during Christmas/New Year this year which with the weekends included was a whole 10 days. If you can postpone your wedding until then, that will give you ample time to get married and go for a honeymoon like Viper said.

He won't be allowed to be in married housing until you two are actually married. And once you are married, you can go live in base housing or get a place off-base...it's up to you. I'm not sure however, how soon he is allowed to get on the housing waitlist PRIOR to being married. I'll try to find out and post later.

V.

#6 Guest_goodyear2181_*

Guest_goodyear2181_*

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:44 AM

If you get married during the middle of UPT, the living situation becomes very wierd. We had a guy in our class who was married but didn't have his wife move out until six months after upt began. The housing people wouldn't move him into the dorm rooms either because he was married or because he was going to move into married housing. Yet he wasn't allowed to move into married housing because he didn't have his wife there yet. So he stayed in the hotel the whole time, didn't really unpack and his stuff stayed in storage. To live off base, at least at Laughlin, its hit and miss. The only two people that I know that lived all of UPT off base had pets and therefore couldn't live in the dorms. And even then, they had to write letters stating they couldn't find another place for their pet, had to live with it, etc and then get it signed off by the group commander.

My suggestion, for what its worth, is try to get off base housing. You can work that before your boy gets to UPT and then if he can live off base, you are for sure going to live with him when you come here. If they dont allow him, then you can work the living situation onbase. If you are headed to Laughlin, and need anymore advice/help, let me know.

#7 ghost_ttu

ghost_ttu

Crew Dawg

• PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:47 AM

It's also commander's discretion on this one, and also the availability of the dorms and housing. My buddy got to Sheppard in November and was allowed to get off base, or get onbase housing. He chose off base, but he didn't get married until Jan. He did have to get commander approval on that one though.

#8 M2

M2

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:48 AM

Just something to consider, but due to a pending PCS, my wife and I got legally married ahead of our scheduled church wedding. The USAF chaplain that was going to conduct the church ceremony took care of the legal one. That way I could get her on my overseas orders, she had an ID card, medical coverage, etc. It was our little secret, and I came back for the church wedding as scheduled. No one was the wiser.

Actually, we just celebrated the tenth anniversary of our "secret" wedding (we later told our family), and I tracked down the chaplain--who retired about two years after later--to let him know how things were going.

Cheers! M2
Of all the weapons in the vast Soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export. After that comes vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists. One thing is for sure, no one was lining up to buy their cars.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Opie

Opie

Crew Dawg

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 12:47 AM

I'm an AFROTC cadet graduating next may (05) and then will be heading to UPT. My girlfriend and I have been talking a lot about when is a good time for us to get hitched, and i was really curious as to how 'newly wed' life would be getting married right after commissioning and then heading to UPT. For those of you who have been through it, is it pretty hard on the spouse having your husband gone all day and then preoccupied with flying for the rest of it? If we held off for awhile can you live on base with someone without being married? Is getting married right before UPT a particularly bad time?

I would really appreciate any insight you might have on the subject. Thanks a lot for you time.

#10 Chuck17

Chuck17

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 02:16 AM

Dusting off the soapbox...

OK, here we go. First and foremost, congrats. On to business at hand. In my class we had a few newly wed couples. I mean newly wed as in graduated from OTS, got married, went to UPT. Another graduated from ROTC, got married, went to UPT. Now that you know where I am coming from I will say this: if your wife is going to be a stay at home wife, its going to be rough on her at times. Namely, until you are off formal release in Phase II and Phase III. It can get LONELY for them to say the least because you are going to be busy as hell. She can expect to see you about 3-4 hrs a day, in between all your flying and studying, and on weekends and thats about it. The good part is that chances are there will be other wives in similar situations married to guys in your class... so the support of a 'family' will be there.

That being said, if shes going to have a job, things could be much better on her and you. Regardless, she is surely going to be in for a shock because you are going to be paying more attension to a 45 year old airplane than you will her. For newly weds, this can pose a difficult situation.

Dont count on living on base unless you are already married if you plan to go to UPT together. If you arent married, you'll be in the Q's at most bases by yourself. There are always exceptions to this rule, but in general, I think thats what youll find.

Now for my REAL reason for the reply. If you are thinking about getting married, more power to you. My one message to you is to NOT GET MARRIED DURING UPT. A stud in my class (2 actually) did this. One for real and one only on paper. Long story there, not the point. The point I am trying to make can only be summed up by saying that once this dude got married, his flying skills, General Knowledge, concentration and SA all went VFR direct to the shitter. He was spending all his time with his new wife and forgot about UPT. It showed. But currently he's loving life at Warner-Robins flying E-8s... Get me?

Im all for getting married. I am actually set to tie the knot here in about 2 months (and to another AF type... and we arent going to be stationed together :mad: ), just dont do it in the middle of UPT or right before. You need to be focused on FLYING and thats it. No offense to your lady (or mine for that matter), but everything else goes on the back burner for a year and she needs to understand, respect and support you and your decisions... which if you are talking marriage, I am sure she will. Trust me, if you can make it through a year of UPT together, you've got something special!

[ 04. April 2004, 01:21: Message edited by: ChuckFlys17s ]
"A bender? This isn't a bender, this is just night-time..."

#11 HerkDerka

HerkDerka

Gray Beard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,425 posts
  • Qual:C-130 Pilot, T-6 IP

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:28 PM

In my opinion, wait until after UPT

I got married right after UPT and it was wonderful because it was very low stress. Also, we had plenty of time for a honeymoon. It's nice to have someone to help you study, but in my opinion, use the time you have in UPT as your last bachelor time and ENJOY it! LOL

PD
"There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch. And seeing as I might be rapping on the door momentarily...

#12 Guest_IAGuardWife_*

Guest_IAGuardWife_*

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:56 PM

I think a lot will depend on the type of woman your girlfriend is. I know that sounds wierd, but it's true. Is she strong willed and independant? Does she make new friends quickly on her own? Then she may be an ideal candidate for a new UPT wife. If she is unsure of herself or clingy to you, then maybe you should wait until after UPT. Yes, long distance is hard. I lived in Atlanta while my husband was in Nav School in San Antonio. It was hard, but at least I had my familiar surroundings, my friends and my family.

When my husband and I first got married, I was insecure and needy. If I had done that to him during UPT it probably would have ended our marriage and/or our lives. (his, not mine!!) We were married for just over 5 years when he started at UPT. I am not the person I was when I married my husband. I am more confident and self sufficiant. You really need to be that kind of person to be a wife during UPT.

If you can handle the long distance and put off marriage for another year, I would recommend it highly. There was someone in our class that got married less than 3 weeks before UPT started (as ChuckFlys17s said). I can't imagine how hard that was for both of them. The first year of marriage is the hardest year (esp. when you have to move to a new state to do it) and UPT is the toughest year of your life. Can the two of you handle doing both of those things at the same time?

Another word of advice on getting married in the middle of UPT is this. As Chuck mentioned above, someone from our class got married in the middle to T-1s. He was given 2 days of leave and that included driving to and from Del Rio and Colorado. Also, 4 of his 5 groomsmen were in UPT. And with less than 72 hours notice, all three groomsmen that were in T-38s (one at XL and two in CB) had their leave turned down. That's about the quickest way to kill a bride, tell her that you lost all of your groomsmen.

Either way you decide, remember, UPT is about you. Make sure you do everything you can to make this wedding be about her. She'll thank you in the long run.

[ 04. April 2004, 15:57: Message edited by: IAGuardWife ]

#13 ISUHerc

ISUHerc

SNAP

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:59 PM

I am engaged and planning on getting married this summer on 13 August. I report to Vance AFB for SUPT on the 5 Aug, but I still need to complete IFT. Does anyone know the likelihood of the AF allowing me to take a Friday and Monday off for my wedding? Is it kosher to contact someone at Vance and "put in" my leave before I have it? I'm just a little lost on the protocol for this situation, and my detachment is all gone for the summer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

#14 C17Driver

C17Driver

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:27 AM

If you haven't started UPT yet (on casual), then you shouldn't have any problems getting leave/time off for your wedding.

#15 Guest_borcherk_*

Guest_borcherk_*

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:00 AM

We have a friend reporting to Vance in a couple weeks and she was told that they could guarantee Friday or Monday but not both. That didn't mean it wouldn't happen but she should plan on only getting one day. Usually the token line if you have not inprocessed yet is that they can't "technically" tell you anything until you are "officially" there.

#16 brabus

brabus

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:22 PM

Getting married before UPT would be easier than getting married during UPT. I don't recommend the later, though it can be done. Being married while in UPT is a huge help...I really don't think I could have done so well w/o my wife's help. The days are long and sometimes there will be a strain, but that's just something you guys have to work through. She has to understand that in some ways you will have to put her on hold for studying, etc. That's just the way it is. But, being married and living together is still a lot easier than doing the long distance thing. I would suggest having the wedding prior to UPT or after UPT...during is just far too much headache, especially at a time you cannot afford to have any additional stress.
When the beer light is turned on, as far as I'm concerned, that is a direct order from the boss to drop what I'm doing and go get ripped - Rocker

#17 The Kayla

The Kayla

Gray Beard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:26 PM

Other things before that will most likely be casual somewhere, ASBC, and IFS out in CO. Now the meat of the question is.

Are you ROTC/USAFA/OTS?

ASBC: That will happen, if you're married, she can live in Billeting with you.. just a girlfriend, then she'll have to visit

Casual: Again, if you are married, she can help pass the time while you wait on your thumbs to start a casual job or while you are working at your casual job
waiting for UPT to start, and you can live on base together, if you aren't married, you might get confined to the dorms...

IFS: She can't go with you. My DH has to go to IFS.. gimmie a few minutes, and I'll post the info about IFS for you... IFS, she should think of it was a TDY/Deployment "practice test".-- Again, you, and some of the other wives on here need to understand that My DH is a 9yr prior service in the AF, therefore, I remember when he was gone 3wks, home 12hrs, gone 3more wks. Yes, it sucked(I'm sure it was worse for other wives then what I had.. ). and at that time, no I didn't take it as a vacation, but as a learning tool. She needs to learn, sooner or later, how to deal with TDY's/Deployments, because if she doesn't deal with them... then you can fill in the blank.

I just asked my DH, if he could get married before or after UPT, what would it be.. He said before.. it helps to have a "partner".-- No, my DH isn't the type to tell me something so he doesn't get in trouble either...

You need to get married when you both are ready for it, I don't think there's ever a right time to get married, if you both aren't mentaly and emotionaly prepared for it.

Edited by Kayla, 10 June 2007 - 09:28 PM.

Off we go into the wild blue yonder!

#18 Guest_AFwife62406_*

Guest_AFwife62406_*

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hi John~

My husband and I got married while he was on casual a month or two before he started UPT. We were living together before we got married though so I was with him during IFT/IFS. He had originally planned on waiting until after UPT to get married, until I pointed out that I was not going to move all over the place with him, without being able to get on base without him, having to move all my own junk, without health insurance etc. It's definitely an adjustment for most wives, especially newlyweds, to realize that they can't be the center of their husband's attention a lot of the time, but you and she will get through it. UPT won't be easy for either of you, but us wives find things to keep us busy. As long as she's not sitting at home waiting for you to come home every day, and goes and finds things to do and keep her busy, it's not that bad. I would think that the support she could give you through UPT would help you a lot more than her being there would hurt you.

Good luck in your decision.
~Monica

#19 Guest_swiney_*

Guest_swiney_*

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:22 PM

I got commissioned last Dec. I got married two weeks later. My wife and I couldn't be happier with our decision. My wife was with me at ASBC and Casual and now we are looking forward to moving to Columbus. Kayla and AFwife give you a good perspective of the spouses point of view, and from the military member's point of view, its great because now I don't have to stress out about planning a wedding or trying to make sure we can see each other, etc. I can focus on supporting my family, preparing for UPT and doing my job. Just my $.02. Good luck with your decision if you want any more info or anything, PM me.

Edited by swiney, 11 June 2007 - 11:24 PM.

#20 Guest_carolinagirl_*

Guest_carolinagirl_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

For a variety of reasons, we waited to get married until DH was finished with UPT. To start with, we didn't get engaged until he was already a few months into UPT. For the first phase, he was stationed at Moody, only about 6 hours away from home, so I drove down every other weekend to see him. It worked out well, because he could focus and study during the week and then we had fun on the weekends. When he moved to Texas, it was a lot harder, and we only saw each other once every 2 months or so. In the end, we had a 15 month engagement. (Four months of that time he was sitting casual in Texas after he got his wings because of some medical issues). It was stressful doing the long distance thing, but it also gave us a chance to save up enough money to pay for the wedding ourselves, which was important to us. We got married right before our first PCS, and it worked out well for us.

That being said, each situation is different and I think you should do what is best for you. I've heard that being a spouse during UPT is very hard, especially on newlyweds. Sometimes wives don't understand why they don't get to spend more time with their husbands. It was best for both us to wait. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users