Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Officer only.

Do decorations you were awarded as an enlisted guy translate into the package the board sees? In my case, I got an MSM when I PCS'd to OTS and I'm curious if any promotion board will see it...or do decorations get filed in the same category as performance reports?

They'll see your decs earned while enlisted, but information from the citation itself is generally disregarded unless it was a big-level (think AF-level) impact. The focus on promotion boards is supposed to be your ability to serve in the next higher grade, not reflect on achievements as an E. Those EPRs/decs probably led to you getting a commission. Your performance as an officer after that gets you promoted. Make sense?

So, other than "General Chang" running his cake hole, has anyone seen/heard anything definitive from reliable sources on the rumor that IDE opportunities for candidates (non-selects) will be non-existent for the near future?

So, other than "General Chang" running his cake hole, has anyone seen/heard anything definitive from reliable sources on the rumor that IDE opportunities for candidates (non-selects) will be non-existent for the near future?

My AFPC functional said something to that effect, although I'm not sure how reliable he is.

My office is flush with guys putting in for IDE, and they are getting the same information. It's so bad that RUMINT says that selects will have to compete for limited spots.

And it is the third day of the fiscal year, and no info is yet out about the LAF Major board schedule...sigh.

Each of the DTs that met this summer were only allowed to submit one candidate for IDE. The rest of the reduced number of "seats" were for selects. The results of the DEDB, which assigns the school selects (and one candidate) from each DT to specific schools should be released sometime in November.

AFPC and HAF A1 have briefed that it will most likely be the same for DTs 2014 and maybe 2015. MAJCOMs and HAF have discussed how bad this is for our force development and is recommending we fund more school slots so we can still send non-selects. It will be difficult with BCA cuts.

I haven't seen official policy on this, but it was what our DT did this summer and what I have discussed with AFPC and A1. Hopefully we will get it worked out before next summer so commanders can nominate a reasonable number of quality non-selects.

Thanks. Never saw this trickle down to the working man's level.

Anyone actually been briefed what Liquid said by upper mgmt at their bases?

I don't doubt you, but it does suck that if I hadn't read it on BODN, I would have never heard about it.

I don't doubt you, but it does suck that if I hadn't read it on BODN, I would have never heard about it.

I have been told this before today.

I've heard about this from leadership where I'm at. My boss is in my career field's DT. And he generally does a "DT ou tbrief" for anyone who wants to come.... sort of his way to teach the young guys what DTs do, how vectors work, etc. In the out brief he gave from the this past summer's DT, he basically said what Liquid said above. I have the brief he gave if anyone's interested (.mil email address).

Edit: Note that I'm a 62E (developmental engineer)... so the info I got is geared primarily for us acquisition types. But I'd imagine there would be some similarities.

Edited by silverwolf0911

Same info was shared to us from our OG, who sat on the CAF DT. This was at the OG staff meeting to CC's and other staff (I'm OGV), but his intent was for the word and possibly the brief to go out to everyone (although I don't think he's been able to present it with the budget crisis of the week and such).

My boss, PEP, said the same thing a few weeks back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

With the cuts to In-res oportunities, does anyone have any idea how the In-res credit works for those who have done things like AFIT in the past but not for IDE credit? Can the DTs also recommend the credit option and not cut into their huge pool of 1 (one) IDE candidate? Thanks!

With the cuts to In-res oportunities, does anyone have any idea how the In-res credit works for those who have done things like AFIT in the past but not for IDE credit? Can the DTs also recommend the credit option and not cut into their huge pool of 1 (one) IDE candidate? Thanks!

Unless I'm mistaken, no. IDE credit for past programs is only offered upon being nominated by the DT. So you still have to compete (as a select or candidate) and be picked for IDE. But you still count against the DT's numbers.

Yes, the DT can award IDE equivalency credit. It does not count against the number of people you nominate to the DEDB. It is a quality check to make sure your record is "good enough" to earn the distinction of IDE in-residence. There are criteria for which programs qualify as well. Most eligibles I've seen get the credit. Not sure if about all the AFIT programs. Doing AFIT as a Lt probably wouldn't qualify, but you'd have to ask AFPC.

Unless I'm mistaken, no. IDE credit for past programs is only offered upon being nominated by the DT. So you still have to compete (as a select or candidate) and be picked for IDE. But you still count against the DT's numbers.

There were some in my community that worried that taking the credit would create this middle tier of IDE. I.e...In-res, credit, and correspondence. So far, I haven't seen that play out. The credit guys that I know are getting assignments on par with the in-res guys.

According to our OG (again, sat on the last CAF board), the credit option is very board dependent. Officially, you have to score above the lowest person to make the cut for in-res. Even if you don't request credit the board can still give it to you if they notice you're eligible. He said on their board, they artificially elevated every credit eligible person above the cut line so they'd get the credit. All of those were candidates, as the direction was that ALL selects went to school. So the reasoning was that it was no cost to anyone to give the folks what they earned, and with the current direction that only one candidate could go in-res, they knew this was the absolute only chance for any of these guys. It'd be nice if all the DT's did it this way, but I've no insight on those. One point, you still have to make it out if your wing as a recommend to the DT, otherwise they can't do anything for you. So that's a note the CAF DT sent back to the senior raters. The other note they sent back was if the SR thinks this year isn't the right time (apparently a few went up saying "not ready yet"), if they were a select, the DT had to send them...so word back was don't submit them from the SR if they're not ready!

Edited by olevelo

According to our OG... if they were a select, the DT had to send them...so word back was don't submit them from the SR if they're not ready!

How reliable is this? I'm a select, but only got to my new base in Aug of last year. Even though I was nominated this time (1st look), I'll only have 23-24 months (depending on how you count) on station by the time I'd leave.

How reliable is this? I'm a select, but only got to my new base in Aug of last year. Even though I was nominated this time (1st look), I'll only have 23-24 months (depending on how you count) on station by the time I'd leave.

Its reliable, I'm potentially in the same boat, I'll only have 18 months on station by the time I'll leave. Not sure if it's different across the MAJCOMs but that's the way it is in AFSOC right now.

My boss, PEP, said the same thing a few weeks back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think I was on the same conference call or at least heard the same from him. My last look and I had an awesome strat as a candidate...but that is a no-go now. Whatever.

Yes, the DT can award IDE equivalency credit. It does not count against the number of people you nominate to the DEDB. It is a quality check to make sure your record is "good enough" to earn the distinction of IDE in-residence. There are criteria for which programs qualify as well. Most eligibles I've seen get the credit. Not sure if about all the AFIT programs. Doing AFIT as a Lt probably wouldn't qualify, but you'd have to ask AFPC.

I stand corrected than. Interesting. Possible strategy for CCs then (in an only-selects-will-likely-go-to-school-environment)... Encourage those in the top 30% but not quite top 15% bracket to do an AFIT/NPS/etc program. Your top 15% get the select and go in-res, the next tier even as non-selects can likely still get the IDE credit. Now you end up with twice the in-res officers in your unit/community.

???

zb

I stand corrected than. Interesting. Possible strategy for CCs then (in an only-selects-will-likely-go-to-school-environment)... Encourage those in the top 30% but not quite top 15% bracket to do an AFIT/NPS/etc program. Your top 15% get the select and go in-res, the next tier even as non-selects can likely still get the IDE credit. Now you end up with twice the in-res officers in your unit/community.

???

zb

AFPC won't release pilots for that, at least in the KC-10.