Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sneedro

Mess Dress ?s

I borrowed my set for the Laughlin graduation (minus the shirt I bought). Saved me a couple hundred bucks but I did look like Chris Farley doing fat man in a little coat.

My sister asked me to wear my uniform at her wedding. She, and my future brother-in-law, have no military history. Is it "normal" to wear mess dress at a non-military wedding?

My sister asked me to wear my uniform at her wedding. She, and my future brother-in-law, have no military history. Is it "normal" to wear mess dress at a non-military wedding?

Mess dress = tuxedo

Service dress would be appropriate if you're in the pews.

Mess dress = tuxedo

Service dress would be appropriate if you're in the pews.

Standing.

If everyone else (male) in the wedding party is wearing a tux, mess dress is appropriate.

Have fun with the bridesmaids, bud. :beer:

I've got the whole tux=mess dress part. I was more concerned with the appropriateness of wearing my uniform while standing in the bridal party of a civilian wedding; but I just found the "Mess Dress Etiquette" thread which addressed that concern. Thanks for the help guys! :beer:

Yes, it is normal. If your sister asked you to wear it, you should wear it. When you wear the uniform, you are expected to honor the obligations that accompany it's wear. When in uniform, you represent all those who serve and those who have served. In today's world, assume everything you say and do in uniform will be recorded and widely distributed. Realize that when you wear the uniform, you must clearly understand the expectation of professionalism and adjust your behavior accordingly. If you want to be a drunken idiot and enjoy the wedding in traditions that involve alcohol, sex and debauchery, wear a tux and have a good time. If you want to represent the Air Force and proudly display your uniform to add a distinguished and universally respected military representation to the special event, wear your mess dress. Just understand that in uniform, you represent the Air Force. In a tux, you represent yourself. Whether it is appropriate to wear depends on how you plan to act while you wear it.

• Upvote 2

Unless the groom/bride was in a mess dress, I wouldn't wear it. It's attention whoring and who wants to wear that thing anyways?

Edited by xaarman
  • Downvote 1

Yes, it is normal. If your sister asked you to wear it, you should wear it. When you wear the uniform, you are expected to honor the obligations that accompany it's wear. When in uniform, you represent all those who serve and those who have served. In today's world, assume everything you say and do in uniform will be recorded and widely distributed. Realize that when you wear the uniform, you must clearly understand the expectation of professionalism and adjust your behavior accordingly. If you want to be a drunken idiot and enjoy the wedding in traditions that involve alcohol, sex and debauchery, wear a tux and have a good time. If you want to represent the Air Force and proudly display your uniform to add a distinguished and universally respected military representation to the special event, wear your mess dress. Just understand that in uniform, you represent the Air Force. In a tux, you represent yourself. Whether it is appropriate to wear depends on how you plan to act while you wear it.

Liquid, you are totally correct, just like I remember from Officership 101.

However,

Who gives a shit. It's a guaranteed way of getting laid that night. I'm not saying one should rely on a uniform or profession to get a girl in bed, but if asked to wear it by the bride and groom then go for it... and if it just so happens to help get one or more bridesmaids in your bed that night then good on ya as far as I'm concerned.

Who gives a shit. It's a guaranteed way of getting laid that night. I'm not saying one should rely on a uniform or profession to get a girl in bed, but if asked to wear it by the bride and groom then go for it... and if it just so happens to help get one or more bridesmaids in your bed that night then good on ya as far as I'm concerned.

Just make sure you're current on your SAPR training, and don't be a douche.

And the uniform isn't a magical panty dropper. If that's what your game is leaning on, you have none. Be a good dude and don't be the "bad story" from the wedding, and you'll be just fine.

• Upvote 1

FTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...you must clearly understand the expectation of professionalism and adjust your behavior accordingly.

In a tux, you represent yourself.

The tenets of officership you so properly describe are not (and should not be) discarded because one is wearing a tux.

Unless the groom/bride was in a mess dress, I wouldn't wear it. It's attention whoring and who wants to wear that thing anyways?

I don't see why you think its attention whoring... As previously mentioned, there should be a little pride associated with the uniform and being able to wear it once every couple years to a wedding shouldn't be viewed as a negative, especially if the bride and groom asked you to wear it.

And the uniform isn't a magical panty dropper. If that's what your game is leaning on, you have none.

Completely disagree, I wore my mess dress when I got married and I got laid without even trying.

• Upvote 4