Mess Dress ?s

Sneedro

Guest mchollar

Try E-bay.

Or look/ask around. There's usually lots of people selling theirs because they outgrew them or are separating and hardly ever used them.

You will also need it for dining in/out which will eventually happen to you.

Just buy it.

Guest IAGuardWife

Nope, you can't wear your service dress to the formal banquet. (at least not at Laughlin) You are going to have to have one during your career, so you may as well suck it up and buy it during/before pilot training.

Are you already commissioned? If not, you will probably need it for your graduation from OTS/AMS. I know they have a banqet/dining in for AMS graduation, so you will need one then.

Guest TheBobGoat

start getting it before the last week of upt too - they might have to order parts for you and that can take some time

In the briefing our flight commander told us that Guard and Res didn't have to wear it. Everyone wore it because everyone had one, even though mine didn't fit well anymore.

I see no reason for someone to pay $400 for a uniform you'll wear once. Also, I don't think its a required uniform.

[ 18. July 2004, 17:05: Message edited by: Shadow05 ]

I know some ANG/AFRC units do Dining In/Outs and holiday functions, where mil formal dress is the norm, so chances are you'll wear it more than once. My unit also sent someone out for my graduation, and they wore mess dress tot he dinner. You might find yourself in the same position someday.

IMHO, it's just a sharper looking uniform anyway. I was the only senior cadet out of 10 in my ROTC unit to wear the Service Dress w/ the white shirt and bowtie, and I kind of felt like a toolbox.

This from the guy who's telling people in another thread to paint their mess dress gold bars silver...

Again, my opinion only. You're not wrong to wear the modified service dress, but along the same lines, an officer is not wrong to wear ribbons on a short sleeve blue shirt, but unless you're prior enlisted, you might catch some shit for it.

Guest IAGuardWife

"I see no reason for someone to pay $400 for a uniform you'll wear once".

I have seen my husband wear his mess dress five times in the last 12 months and we didn't even attend the dining out at our Guard Unit this year. Granted, that's just him, but I am throwing it out there. I have probably seen him wear it 20 times over the course of his career. He can probably give you a better number, but it's at least a few times a year.

PAB- why do I have the ugly feeling that you painted your butter bars silver back in the day? I wouldn't doubt it for a second!! (haha)

[ 18. July 2004, 18:23: Message edited by: IAGuardWife ]

You know, I never actually painted them, but I've helped people paint theirs and it looks OK. I ended up selling them for $20 to a dude in my class for our graduation.

I never wore my mess dress as a 1Lt, I was too busy being TDY and thus never had a reason to paint them, but I wore it a few times in the last two years for my brothers graduation, USMC Birthday Ball, UPT graduation, etc.

Guest Pilot135

The best thing for the rank is to find someone who just got promoted and ask to buy theirs - cheap. It beats shelling out $$$ for new ones at AAFES.

Also, I've worn my mess dress twice as much as my service dress - it's worth it if you are just starting out.

Guest cofc97

As for renting the mess dress...I just had to find this out for my husband so I thought I'd share.

Yes, it is right outside of Maxwell AFB. The place is Shinbaum's Air Force & Army Uniforms and the number is 334-265-0552.

The rental fee is $50 (plus $15 for shipping if you have them send it to you).

Guest borcherk

I don't think its been mentioned but if you are Guard/Reserve you can put in for your $400 clothing allowance. A few guys in our class just got there checks.

Guest Wxpunk

Do active guys get a full issue prior to leaving for or upon arrival at OTS? Do you have to pay for that issue?

I know us Guard guys get everything but Mess Dress right before AMS and its free-o-charge!

----------------

Wxpunk

• 1 year later...

Just spend the day at a clothing store on base closest to you. get sized, get what you need, then drop it off for tailoring. Sizing is KEY...buying it online is a gamble, sure you can return it, send it back, etc, but its a hassle...buy the accessories online if it makes you happier, b/c i'm willing to bet that the clothing store you go to will not have EVERY mess dress item in stock

If you dont have or dont want to spend the $$$$ to get it....just don't get it. You dont need it right away, get it when you make $$$. I have used mine ONCE and that was only for the end of the year ROTC dining out!! and don't see anytime in the near future i'll be wearing it.

[ 09. February 2006, 21:03: Message edited by: caliiceman328 ]

Me and my buddies needed it for AAS nat staff and we all bought them at various places. Some uniform clothing (expensive), one AF thrift store (3 dollars), a few got them off ebay. Just get sized up at uniform clothing so you know what sizes you're looking for. If you buy one off ebay that is too big you can always get it tailored. I've had my mess dress for less than a year and already worn it over 8 times. Good luck!

Guest sickels101

This threat made me laugh. I am currently chilling in my mess dress waiting to go to the wing awards banquet (forced to go). So, I am killing time wating for the wife looking over the baseops board. As it is, this is only the fourth time I have worn this damn thing in two years. So, in my opinion to all the new LTs, save your money, especially if you are a pilot (however, you will wear it at graduation dinner).