Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robspenc

AFROTC VS Marine PLC Aviation Contract

I would like to be a pilot in the military. I will be starting at a university in a few months and I am trying to weigh my options. I am quite interested in AFROTC, but, I don't like the uncertainty of getting a pilot slot. A few weeks ago I found out about the Guaranteed pilot slot through USMC PLC. Which of these paths would you guys advise? Additionally, I am not too concerned about the airframe. I'd love to get a fighter, however, i'd be happy flying any manned aircraft of each of the branches.

Thanks

If you put an appropriate amount of effort in during ROTC/school, you'll likely get a pilot slot.  That's not to say good dudes who should have received a pilot slot haven't been surprised with a nav slot (luck and timing), but I think those are a minority.  Nothing in life is a guarantee, including the Marine PLC program.  Go with the branch/mission you think you'd like the most, work hard in ROTC/college and it'll probably work out, especially with such a pilot shortage that'll likely continue for several years.

As someone that was previously in the PLC program, I can tell you that getting an air slot is incredibly easy. You take the Navy/USMC version of the TBAS, and if you score high enough, you're slotted as "air." The hard part becomes getting the actual board, but it's no harder than qualifying for AFROTC -- good gpa, lots of PT, etc. I'm not a military member, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I know from hanging around these forums that the USMC does not use the same drop night logic that the AF does. Sometimes there's a plethora of fighters, sometimes there's none. Maybe evaluate how okay you are with fixed wing? 

For what its worth, nowadays at least, AF pilot slots are given to almost anyone who wants one from ROTC. I have a feeling we'll be shocked by the #'s next week when rated pref's come out. Doesn't mean it'll be the same when you go through though

Edited by ayz33