Air National Guard pilot slot and degree(college major).

mar96

Hi, I plan to major in aviation because it is a really easy degree where I know I would be able to get a high gpa with. I plan to enlist in the Air National Guard throughout college and major in aviation with a high gpa. Also, i plan to learn spanish and have my instrument rating and private pilot license by time I graduate college. Would an ANG fighter unit choose someone who majored in aerospace engineering and has the same gpa as mine? Would they rather choose another person with a different degree? Is there certain college degrees they desire which can be a plus on your application? Would you reccomend me getting a degree in aviation or something else a fighter wing would look for? I dream to fly fighters in the Air National Guard such as the F35A with the Vermont ANG. What should I do? Also,I heard that an aviation degree is worthless and gives you no backup plan. I would get a low GPA in aerospace engineering because it is extremely tough, and I will never be selected into a guard fighter unit. I do know my gpa would be high with a degree in aviation. I am willing to risk it because I really dream to fly the f35a. Also, what other things can make an applicant to a guard fighter wing look competitive? I appreciate anyone who has gone through this to help. Thanks!

• Downvote 3

Its stupid and ignorant to lock my thread because I asked a simple question.

@ high speed, fuck you, u are full of shit!!!

Emotionally fragile. Do not recommend you pursue US mil aviation until your skin is thicker.

You didn't ask a simple question...you asked six difficult and complex questions no one here can answer to your satisfaction, and to which the answers will change over time.

Go read a bunch more threads on the various sites, then come here and ask specific questions or for updated info.

BL: getting a F-35 in 2022 means you graduated near the top of your t-38 tracked class in 2021. That means you finished high in T-6s. To get INTO training in 2020 you had to get a commission. That requires a college degree w/a high GPA and passing the physical, and the commissioning program (academy, OTS, ROTC). It's 2014 now, you're in high school. This is a LONG road.

My advice (always the same):

1) grad HS w/4.0 GPA, letters in 2 sports, and volunteer work

2) go to college, do ROTC, don't be an ass, graduate w/4.0 in meteorology.

3) go active-duty, go to UPT

4) fly whatever the AF deigns you ready for until your commitment is up

Now, decide if ANG/AFRES is right for you.

Do not enlist hoping to get sent to OTS and UPT, or try to get picked up off the street straight to OTS/UPT.

Or, ignore all that and execute your plan. We all got our wings and jets in our own way...perhaps you'll be one of the rare ones to enlist-to-officer-to-UPT?

Good luck.

Lock it.

@ high speed, fuck you, u are full of shit!!!

A) you asked several very complicated questions to which most are subjective not objective

2) you've posted the same thing 6-9 different times, all with the same responses/answers (some are actually valuable too)

D) I apologize, I didn't mean to be full of sh1t and call you a dude. My bad.

On a super serious note, please please keep your current mindset and attitude. It is exactly what you need to excel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hispeed7721

I'm not a Silverback or a Grey Beard by any stretch of the word, but I am curious to see what the Squadron dynamic will become in the next 10-15 years as the "Entitlement Generation" begins to permeate throughout the ranks en masse.

Part of what the OP is missing is that an ANG unit is a bit like a Country Club. You don't move every few years, you stay (potentially) with the same people for decades, and its a social relationship as much as a military one. They have to want to live with you, and the club membership doesn't really give a damn about GPAs and college degrees.

• Upvote 1

I would get a low GPA in aerospace engineering because it is extremely tough, and I will never be selected into a guard fighter unit.

WTFO? This sounds pretty damn lazy to me. I like your confidence and willingness to push yourself outside your comfort zone too.

These dudes are spot on, you're not cut out for mil aviation.

BTW, I graduated with honors with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. UPT (ENJJPT in my experience), was much more difficult. I worked 10 times harder in UPT.

Edited by Kenny Powers

Hi, I plan to major in aviation because it is a really easy degree where I know I would be able to get a high gpa with. I plan to enlist in the Air National Guard throughout college and major in aviation with a high gpa. Also, i plan to learn spanish and have my instrument rating and private pilot license by time I graduate college. Would an ANG fighter unit choose someone who majored in aerospace engineering and has the same gpa as mine? Would they rather choose another person with a different degree? Is there certain college degrees they desire which can be a plus on your application? Would you reccomend me getting a degree in aviation or something else a fighter wing would look for? I dream to fly fighters in the Air National Guard such as the F35A with the Vermont ANG. What should I do? Also,I heard that an aviation degree is worthless and gives you no backup plan. I would get a low GPA in aerospace engineering because it is extremely tough, and I will never be selected into a guard fighter unit. I do know my gpa would be high with a degree in aviation. I am willing to risk it because I really dream to fly the f35a. Also, what other things can make an applicant to a guard fighter wing look competitive? I appreciate anyone who has gone through this to help. Thanks!

So im going to bite and break this down for you. Guard units are looking for guys with the right fit. your previous response to a fellow bro on here does not bode well for your chances of assimilating with military aviators.

on to your degree... if you are saying here it is a bull shit easy degree dont you think they will know that as well? dont you think someone else got a degree in advanced underwater basket weaving and was 4.0 Magna Cum Laude ? trust me theyve seen it. they are looking for someone that is well rounded, that brings good skills to the table and can get along with the dudes in the squadron.

Dont know youre age, but i would revisit this when you are closer to 25 then 15.

Edited by dvlax40

@ high speed, ###### you, u are full of shit!!!

Generally the recommendation is always to go for the commission straight away. For someone going for a commission and a pilot slot enlisting comes with its own problems and drawbacks that more often are not overcome by the "advantages". That being said, some time in basic training getting yelled at may actually help this kid.

Then again, the entitlement attitude is something that is deep and strong. Coupled with obvious anger problems and the inability to have a civil conversation, I'm not sure basic training could break that. Especially now with the new basic training and the cell phones, "stress cards", and "MTLs are not allowed to <insert military training here>" attitude.

The only serious advice I can give you is check your attitude at the door and remember that you haven't even completed the first step (College) on this journey and act accordingly. Its a long hard road full of hard work, dedication, and thick skin. If you can't put in the hard work, or even more importantly if you don't want to put in the hard work.... save us some time and yourself some headache and quit now.

Then again, the entitlement attitude is something that is deep and strong. Coupled with obvious anger problems and the inability to have a civil conversation, I'm not sure basic training could break that. Especially now with the new basic training and the cell phones, "stress cards", and "MTLs are not allowed to <insert military training here>" attitude.

That's been my experience, the immature people I went to basic with are still generally immature. Not all, some of them grew up. I'm very glad that I spent a couple of years on my own outside of high school before I joined, I think it really helped give me a dose of reality.