Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This may seem like an odd question. But my first visit to a base for a meet and greet is next month. What should you wear and bring? I was told to reach back a week before for details but just trying to get an earlier heads up. Thanks 


Business casual with some nice dress shoes is usually the go to. Don’t be the only dingus showing up in a suit lol.

As far as gifts: it’s usually an alcohol donation to the bar, but I would check with your hiring POC if it’s kosher to bring some. Also seen donuts and coffee being donated which was well received.

Good luck dude!
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You, son, have lots to learn.

Just wanted to say I got picked up! I've been on this forum for almost 2 years now and it has helped me a lot with SA. Looking forward to the adventure and thanks for all the help!

Keep in mind that I'm 33 years old, so it'll likely be inherently more difficult to get an interview, but let me offer my 2 cents: I've been at this game since I was 22 years old coming out of co

Posted Images

3 hours ago, JabroniWizard said:

 


Business casual with some nice dress shoes is usually the go to. Don’t be the only dingus showing up in a suit lol.

As far as gifts: it’s usually an alcohol donation to the bar, but I would check with your hiring POC if it’s kosher to bring some. Also seen donuts and coffee being donated which was well received.

Good luck dude!

 

I appreciate the advice! Thanks for all the help

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 1:36 AM, goodflightcowboy said:

If you go to the main page, there should be a forum for "What Are My Chances?" and that typically draws some good responses from other applicants and pilots alike. 

That being said, good job on the P and PCSM. Really depends on what you're looking for, but I'd say with how competitive aviation is right now across the board, it's probably worth trying to increase your scores. But (big but) don't not apply because you're going to retake. If the deadline's coming up, send the app in! Never self-eliminate. 

 

On 10/22/2020 at 5:18 AM, Terminator5lf said:

Thanks y'all, appreciate it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mguillotte said:

For those who applied to Boise. Did you get confirmation that they received your packet? Haven't been able to get in contact with the POC since I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago.

I sent mine about two weeks ago and haven't heard anything.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Need some help.  I've been out-of-the-loop since DQing my FC1 for colorvision back in 2016 after getting picked up at Selfridge.  Just became aware of the changes to the scoring standards for AF cv tests and looking to get back on the interview train before I age out.  Any help with upcoming boards/deadlines for submissions would be incredibly helpful.  Focused on fighters.  Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mp.odea said:

Need some help.  I've been out-of-the-loop since DQing my FC1 for colorvision back in 2016 after getting picked up at Selfridge.  Just became aware of the changes to the scoring standards for AF cv tests and looking to get back on the interview train before I age out.  Any help with upcoming boards/deadlines for submissions would be incredibly helpful.  Focused on fighters.  Thanks

I'm in the exact same situation as you brotha. Theres no easy answer, other than apply absolutely everywhere and cold call units. If you want any info on the color vision test, PM me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sartoreabram said:

Well my first meet and greet is this weekend. Any advice form anyone or things to expect that you didn’t? I know that’s vague but just want to see if anyone has any insight or tips.

Thanks!

Speaking as a dude who has yet to get picked up (so take this with a grain of salt)...

Be yourself. No, seriously -- if you have to put on a facade to get hired then you'll probably eventually regret it. It's a chance for you to get a feel for the unit just as much as it is for them to get a feel for you. There really does seem to be a pretty big difference in culture from unit to unit, even among the same aircraft. If this one doesn't seem like a good fit for you, remember that there might be another one out there that is. It's not worth putting on a fake persona.

Don't ask questions just for the sake of it. Basic information about the unit's history and mission can be easily found online. Asking things like that poses the risk of making it look like you have little initiative.

Do ask questions you're genuinely curious about. Most pilots are happy to tell you about what there is to do in the area, what neighborhoods are nice, what they do for work (if they're a part-timer), where they went to UPT, etc.

Practice an "elevator introduction". You'll be meeting dozens of people so you want to be able to introduce yourself and give a little sample of your story in about 15-20 seconds, but without sounding too rehearsed. IMO you shouldn't necessarily try to sell yourself (like you might in an actual interview) here since that could come off as way cocky. Just stick to facts.

Treat everyone you meet with respect, regardless of rank. If you do something that rubs them the wrong way, there's a good chance that word of it could make it to the pilots on the hiring board. This includes the most junior enlisted.

You might get to drink at the squadron bar, but don't get too casual. It's a great opportunity to shoot the shit and let the real you out in a more relaxed atmosphere, but don't start treating members of the squadron like they're your buddies you've known your whole life. There's definitely a balance to strike here because you don't want to be too uptight, but it's probably not a good idea to start calling pilots "bro" or "dude" after a couple of drinks (I've seen it happen).

To piggyback on that last point, don't drink too much (or even at all if you don't drink). Know your limits. It's a opportunity to get to know the unit in a less formal setting -- not an opportunity to get sloppy and show them you like to party.

Take time to chat with other applicants too. IMO it shows that you're a team player and you're not antisocial. The connections you make can also be valuable too, I've kept in touch with other applicants I've met and learned a lot from them. It's also pretty awesome running into people you already know at other meet and greets.

Edited by mb1685
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI for all who applied to the 121st in DC, an invite for their second-round video interviews just went out this afternoon. It's a bit unclear if this interview is the final board or a video pre-screen for the final board, but things are moving again. There were 124 applicants this year. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RocketDriver said:

FYI for all who applied to the 121st in DC, an invite for their second-round video interviews just went out this afternoon. It's a bit unclear if this interview is the final board or a video pre-screen for the final board, but things are moving again. There were 124 applicants this year. 

 

I’m a bit confused as they just sent an email on Wednesday saying we should expect to hear back by January. Did you get a call or email about the interview?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ZR-1 said:

I’m a bit confused as they just sent an email on Wednesday saying we should expect to hear back by January. Did you get a call or email about the interview?

I also received the Wednesday email stating that we should expect to hear by Jan 2021. It appears they followed up quicker than initially indicated. Wednesday's note was from a (I presume) recruiter, while today's follow-up interview invite came via email from two of the pilots in the squadron. 

Edited by RocketDriver
clarification
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RocketDriver said:

I also received the Wednesday email stating that we should expect to hear by Jan 2021. It appears they followed up quicker than initially indicated. Wednesday's note was from a (I presume) recruiter, while today's follow-up interview invite came via email from two of the pilots in the squadron. 

Well I guess that’s it then. Out of 124 applicants, how many got an interview?

Edit: Forgot to say good luck!

Edited by ZR-1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ayz33 said:

I got nothing back from them since my application in February, until Wednesday and today. No first round. It seems like others may have already had some sort of interview?

I read that as the application itself was the first round, video interview will be the second round, and so on 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...