Why I only wear 15 pieces of flair

Guest Disgruntled IP

Guest Disgruntled IP

So there was an aircraft that struck a light pole while taxiing. Here's how we are going to fix it.

MQF/BOLDFACE EXORD (per OG/CC)

CCs:

Per the Wing and Group CCs guidance ALL crewmembers will take a MQF test ASAP (plan on first of many); no crews will be set against a local or operational msn as of Thur, 6 May unless they are test complete.

Here are the ground rules:

- Testing, to include boldface, will begin 3 May and continue until all crewmembers have been tested

o Use your own discretion as to when and where but it must be done ASAP

- The 50 question test will come from the AMC/A3V Pilot or Loadmaster MQF dated January 2009 (questions will come from general section, NOT Airdrop, Instructor, Evaluator or SOLL II sections)

- 100% is the only passing grade

o Crewmembers scoring < 100%

§ Immediately Grounded

§ Put on Control Roster

§ Report to Sq/CC who in turn will have them report to ### OG/OGV

- OGV will provide each squadron the tests, bubble sheets, and boldface

- Squadrons will proctor their own tests then bring the answer sheets to OGV for grading at the end of each test session (i.e. do not wait until the entire Squadron is tested to forward to OGV)

- This test does not count towards Qual/Instm prerequisite testing

- First flying sq to achieve 100% pass rate will be granted a down day to use at their discretion.

Col Xxxxxxxx

Rant:

Tell me again how this will determine who's going to have another taxi incident? Instead of beating up all the guys that aren't dinging wings. How bout we focus on flying again instead of all the ancillary bs.

Sounds a little rough. We have monthly squadron fill in the blank tests (from MQF). <85% is failing, which then requires member to lookup EVERY question in MQF, then take retest. Scoring <85% again buys you a Q-3 Form 8 and downgrade from the CC.

Wow.

Was it a nuclear armed aircraft that somehow strayed off base and taxied into a light pole in the WalMart parking lot or something?

That'll show someone upstairs that he showed his guys all right.

I'm sorry you have to take tests on stuff you should know, but I'm the original "disgruntled." Out

I think you're missing the point(s). Here are some issues:

1. WTF does taking the MQF have to do with it? There are maybe 1 or 2 questions out of ~375 on taxi, and the offenders most likely knew the numbers.

2. What is an acceptable passing score on a test?

3. Grounding/Control roster for not getting 100% on an MQF? Isn't the community shorthanded enough?

4. The above kneejerk does nothing but cover the CC's ass by proving he did "something" (as Rainman pointed out)...it will do nothing to prevent a future mishap.

I'm guessing this is at CHS...can anyone confirm (without violating privilege)?

Edited by zrooster99

Who knew that a 70+ slide PowerPoint presentation containing a plethora of new (and eye position dependant) taxi references along with a 100% MQF standard would solve all our problems?

This may help leadership cover their butts and will hopefully keep the Dice Man happy for a while but, as usual, it offers very little benefit for folks actualy getting shit done. I wonder if the WG/CC took a solo MQF first to "press to test" his new perfection standard. If 100% is required to get the mission done then why are we satisfied with testing a mere 50 out of 300+ questions?

Edited by GearMonkey

Awesome. I see the future of the 3-3 and the words "Taxi TTPs".

Barksdale has lines (Gooch lines) painted on all taxiways that denote where the aircraft's wingtips reach if you are on centerline. They're named after the guy who came up with the idea after an unfortunate taxiing incident.

It seemed odd to me when AMC/A3V tasked OGV shops throughout AMC asking for "new MQF taxi questions" to be submitted for beefing up the MQF.

As if one guy sitting in his cubicle at Scott couldnt come up with a few new questions, no. We have to tap every shop in the field to write them for us.

Sigh.

In order for the MQF and boldface to solve this problem, the scenario must have been like this...

MP: (while taxiing) Hey Co, is the abort boldface throttles idle, brakes apply or brakes apply throttles idle?

MCP: Its the first one.

MP: Are you sure

MCP: Yeah, see here, its on page 3-69

CLUNK

MP: What was that?

Guest breakaway

So...was there a LOSA pilot on board this aircraft? The rest of us appreciate having to cough up bodies to go on the road for 60 days to report on how crews on a certain MDS are performing their job...for safety reasons only (of course).

Two tillers (use them), know your references, deplane a crewmember, if in doubt, stop. Briefing complete.

Guest Disgruntled IP

So...was there a LOSA pilot on board this aircraft? The rest of us appreciate having to cough up bodies to go on the road for 60 days to report on how crews on a certain MDS are performing their job...for safety reasons only (of course).

Two tillers (use them), know your references, deplane a crewmember, if in doubt, stop. Briefing complete.

What's a LOSA? I've never heard of this. What do you mean go on the road to see how we are performing our job? The crew did a walkaround, the AC briefed the crew, they check their references, had wing walkers, backed the aircraft, and as they made their turnout (forward taxi) they struck the tail on a light pole. I guess it doesn't matter how much right you do if you still end up screwing up.

Thanks for the brief.

What's a LOSA? I've never heard of this. What do you mean go on the road to see how we are performing our job? The crew did a walkaround, the AC briefed the crew, they check their references, had wing walkers, backed the aircraft, and as they made their turnout (forward taxi) they struck the tail on a light pole. I guess it doesn't matter how much right you do if you still end up screwing up.

Thanks for the brief.

Thanks! I was about to ask... "Ah, Hell, what did we hit this time?" If you do not know what LOSA (Line Operations Safety Audit)is I guess you have not done your Phase II CRM Refresher Training.

Why do we keep insisting on taxiing C-17s into things?

Once again! Telling everyone what a C-17 hit does not violate privilege! Telling everyone what one of the crew members said about how they hit it is!

For me privilege isn't, you do!

Edited by Butters

Thanks! I was about to ask... "Ah, Hell, what did we hit this time?" If you do not know what LOSA (Line Operations Safety Audit)is I guess you have not done your Phase II CRM Refresher Training.

Dang it, and I thought he was talking about a "Loss of Situational Awareness" Pilot.

Guest breakaway

This is simple shit, cut down all light poles. Done.

Put reflective belts on all light poles....or is this the wrong thread for that? Moderators change as required.

• Upvote 1

Guest Crew Report

About a year ago we had a taxi mishap here during the winter and were told the next crew that has one will be flown to Scott for a personal meeting with the 18 AF/CC. Have fun studying!