Great lesser known flying movies...

Stuck

In a recent thread I ran across someone talking about great spit flying in a miniseries called "Piece of Cake." I grabbed it off of netflix to my surprise and in fact it really is wonderful. There's some great formation stuff, as well as a Spit flying under a cobblestone bridge with about ten feet on either side.

I hadn't thought there was a good flying flick that I hadn't come across.

I don't want the obvious ones. I want more of the "Only Angels Have Wings," "A Guy Named Joe," and "Towards the Unknown" type films. I just discovered "The War Lover" with Steve McQueen which is a must see for you World War Two buffs.

Let's hear em!

Cheers! :beer:

-Stuck

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want the obvious ones. I want more of the "Only Angels Have Wings," "A Guy Named Joe," and "Towards the Unknown" type films. I just discovered "The War Lover" with Steve McQueen which is a must see for you World War Two buffs.

My all time favorite is Spitfire aka The First of the Few. Filmed in 1942 it is the story of the design and inception of the Supermarine Spitfire. Starred David Niven.

Guest davalt10

Has anyone seen BAT*21 with Gene Hackman? I heard it was good, but i want to get a second opinion.

Stuck

Yep, it was yours truly that mentioned Piece of Cake. I bought the book when it first came out, and I would highly recommend getting it if you can find a copy as it is probably Derek Robinson's best work.

The miniseries was great but it left out a lot from the book. Still, you can't beat the flying scenes!

Although not about flying, a similar miniseries titled Danger UXB about a bomb disposal officer in London during WWII and was done as well as the Piece of Cake series. It is on my list of DVD sets to buy...

Cheers! M2

Has anyone seen BAT*21 with Gene Hackman? I heard it was good, but i want to get a second opinion.

I thought the book was much better...

Cheers! M2

Here's a cool foreign flick I rented.

Dark Blue World

It's about Czech pilots who flee as the Blitz overtakes them. They manage to escape to Britian, learn English and fly Spits. There's some crappy love story in it, but some badass Me vs. Spits fights.

Also, I was surprised how many of my friend had not seen Empire of the Sun. A fantastic movie about a young British boy who is obsessed with flight who becomes seperated from his family during the Japanese invasion of China. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02BBtN-P0lc&feature=related

Edited to fix link.

Edited by B*D*A

Guest HercengTN

Im not sure it fits in the "lesser known flying movies" but Air America is by far one of my favorite flying movies

Guest HercengTN

Has anyone seen the IMAX Red Flag movie? I saw a few commercials about it a while back but thats it.

Has anyone seen the IMAX Red Flag movie? I saw a few commercials about it a while back but thats it.

Yes. We watched it in the Luxor's IMAX. It put me to sleep. The guy that the movie was based off of, was in there as well. We realized it when we were leaving the theater and people were starting to crowd him. I think We own the movie.. My husband liked it.

Guest CSpearsFly

I've got it on DVD. It's not bad. Lots of cool footage, but at the same time, you can tell it's coming from Hollywood. I'm pretty sure you can get it on Netflix. If you're all about details, don't bother, but if you just like watching planes and finding out how they organize everything, it's a pretty good movie.

We went to see it at the Naval Aviation Museum in PCola. The flying was pretty cool, but I think they could have done without the simulated shoot-down and rescue.

oh come on! Helos play in Red Flag too. They didn't do that just for the movie, that's actual Red Flag. How they actually employed, however...that was definitely just for the movie. It's not like we'd actually launch with 5 birds and have them all in a nice stacked hover in the LZ because it looks pretty.

Though I found it kinda funny the same helos that were "hunting" the pilot down (aka red air) were the same birds that turned around to pick him up.

My brother, who knows nothing about the defensive systems of our aircraft, asked why the A-10s kept popping off flares, because it seemed like a bit much. It was quite humorous...

Edited by stract

Guest Miclhstrase
Iron Eagle is a must see. It's awesome! I was amazed at how real it was. Those Fighting Falcon guys are the coolest. Hades bombs rock!

LOL

Guest davalt10
Iron Eagle is a must see. It's awesome! I was amazed at how real it was.

I was so glad to see the kid get into the academy!

Guest John Cocktoston

Two movies that have not yet been mentioned:

Fate is the Hunter (the book is amazing, too)

Island in the Sky

Cheers.

Oh, and I saw a little indie film a few years ago called "Top Gun". It is about naval aviators or whatever and volleyball.