Gun Talk

VL-16

The light's pretty damn awesome, illuminates an entire average size room and blinds very effectively - ops checked that one.

Haven't shot it yet, but do you really need a range report on a G19?

Got a new toy, range time later tonight...attachicon.gifSmith Airweight.JPG

ETA: The vestigial sights make accurate shooting a "challenge," but fun as hell doing my best gum-shoe impression at close range.

Just bought the same thing for the wife, with a set of CT grips. Pretty sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm digging the 1911 things.......so I decided to build my own. Still waiting on a couple parts to fix what I fucked up but thought I'd share.

ETA: Finished, probably could have done a better job stripping my first bluing attempt off. I think that's what caused the splotches in the second picture. The rust bluing was such a pain in the ass that I'm gonna call it good enough for my first build. Time to start plotting my second, gonna be a bobtail commander I think.post-2263-0-82022900-1431829645_thumb.jppost-2263-0-31798200-1431829656_thumb.jp

Edited by busdriver
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What about reciprocity? Can someone with an out-of-state license open carry in Texas?

Just to caveat, I ain't a lawyer...

From what I have read, reciprocity will apply to open carry; so if you have a concealed permit from one of the 40 states that Texas recognizes it will allow you to open carry here once it becomes legal!

On 1 January 2016, individuals with a CHL will be able to legally open carry in Texas... :mosh:

This is a horrible bill...all that work to pass crap legislation.

The bill, which will take effect after being signed by the Governor on January 1, 2016, will allow people with Concealed Handgun Licenses to openly carry a handgun in a belt or shoulder holster. Should the Campus Carry Bill pass on Saturday as expected, licensees will not be able to openly carry a handgun on campus.

Other places where concealed carry is not authorized remains unchanged.

The so-called “Dutton Amendment” which would prohibit police officers from stopping someone openly carrying a handgun solely because they were carrying a handgun has been removed by the Conference Committee. However, some legislators argued earlier this week that court rulings already prohibit such investigatory stops.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/05/29/its-official-texas-legislature-passes-open-carry/

So you need a license to execercise your Rights and since they removed the part of the bill specifically stating that police wouldn't be able to stop you just because you're open carrying, police officers (like the ones in Austin) will be able to stop people and harass them 'just because' you have a firearm. If court rulings already prevent this then the legislators should have just left this in a bill. What this means is you're going to have LE stopping people and asking to see their CHL's since one is require to open carry.

This crappy leglislation is one of the many reasons I keep telling people that Texas isn't as 'gun friendly' as people think. What a waste.

It's a step in the right direction, and one that is long overdue.

And to be honest, I don't see the police harassing individuals for OC'ing because it will result in civil lawsuits.

But I agree, the state is not as gun-friendly as most people think; but with the passage of this bill and (hopefully) campus carry, it is getting better...

It's a step in the right direction, and one that is long overdue.

And to be honest, I don't see the police harassing individuals for OC'ing because it will result in civil lawsuits.

But I agree, the state is not as gun-friendly as most people think; but with the passage of this bill and (hopefully) campus carry, it is getting better...

I hear what you're saying...but 'better' is pretty lame when you have the GOP running that state year after year and also pledging to be pro-2nd Admenent. The Dems in more left wing States have done a better job enacting stricter gun-control laws compared to how successful the GOP has been in Texas in enacting pro-2A laws.

As for the 'civil lawsuits', great, more time wasting time in the courts with useless lawsuits. All they would have had to do is make it a crime for LE to stop people for OC if that is their only reason. Sorry man, but months and months of work on this bill and this is they come up...If I were the Gov I would veto the bill and make the legislators get it right. Yet another reason why I refuse to retire in Texas.

got a 9mm compensated barrel for my G23...just need a G19 mag now. Hope it works as good as it looks. :violent-smiley-017:

20150416_090659.jpg

Finally shot this yesterday...very accurate, no FTF/FTEs even with shitty Tulammo, and minimal recoil. Essentially a new gun for the price of a barrel and new mag.

I hear what you're saying...but 'better' is pretty lame when you have the GOP running that state year after year and also pledging to be pro-2nd Admenent. The Dems in more left wing States have done a better job enacting stricter gun-control laws compared to how successful the GOP has been in Texas in enacting pro-2A laws.

As for the 'civil lawsuits', great, more time wasting time in the courts with useless lawsuits. All they would have had to do is make it a crime for LE to stop people for OC if that is their only reason. Sorry man, but months and months of work on this bill and this is they come up...If I were the Gov I would veto the bill and make the legislators get it right. Yet another reason why I refuse to retire in Texas.

Mejor que nada, my friend (and no, that's not the name of a passed over O-4). I get what you're saying, but if you've been following the ass pain involved in just getting to this point you will understand why we consider this a victory. It's not the war, but at least it's one battle closer to where we want to be.

And if you've been tracking Texas politics, you will see how blue this state is getting. And some liberal police chiefs (led by that asshole up in Austin running that department) tried to get the whole thing crushed. I agree that the Dutton-Huffines amendment would have made for a better law, but given that the options were to either drop it or lose the entire bill, I think the right decision was made...

No experience with that particular model, but it is a Springfield XD so I would have no hesitation in getting it. And that's a pretty good price as well...

...but with the passage of this bill and (hopefully) campus carry, it is getting better...

Please explain this concept for those of us who live in states that touch the Pacific Ocean. Everyone knows a campus is a sanctuary of love, kindness, acceptance and safety beyond measure. I mean they have those signs that say "Gun Free Zone" so what's the deal with this? <sarcasm> Does this mean concealed carry would be legal on campus? If so, that would be awesome. Idaho is trying to push that through now.

Please explain this concept for those of us who live in states that touch the Pacific Ocean. Everyone knows a campus is a sanctuary of love, kindness, acceptance and safety beyond measure. I mean they have those signs that say "Gun Free Zone" so what's the deal with this? <sarcasm> Does this mean concealed carry would be legal on campus? If so, that would be awesome. Idaho is trying to push that through now.

Yes, it means those with a TX CHL will be able to conceal carry on campus as long as a 30.06 (concealed carry prohibited) sign is present on private schools. Note this applies to everyone...students, faculty, other employees...

It becoming law has driven the liberals here (Moms Demand Action, McRaven, etc.) nuts, so pretty much it's a two-fer! :thumbsup:

No kidding, they actually contend this right implies that there will be some sort of intimidation for professors not to give bad grades for fear that an armed student may draw their weapon. :bash:

What they fail to recognize is that seven other states already allow concealed carry on campuses (11 others besides Texas are considering it, but so far only the Lone Star State has passed a bill on it. Another 23 leave campus-carry decisions to college officials or their state boards of regents), and there has been zero recorded instances of that happening!

Mind you, I always thought theories had to be supported by documented research; but I guess in this case unsubstantiated rhetoric is OK...

Speaking of which, this is my source of information: Gun rights advocates' push for campus-carry measures like Texas' is slow going.

Personally, I am more excited about open carry! :rock:

• Upvote 1

No experience with that particular model, but it is a Springfield XD so I would have no hesitation in getting it. And that's a pretty good price as well...

Your arm twisting was sufficient...$471 OTD including background check, a Glock gun mat (free), and a box of critical defense.

• Upvote 1

Your arm twisting was sufficient...$471 OTD including background check, a Glock gun mat (free), and a box of critical defense.

Nice, post up a range report (and pics) once you've gotten a chance to shoot it!