Gun Talk

VL-16

I know the feeling, hell last week I bought a Bushmaster XM-15 on impulse because the BX finally had some new weapons. I bought a Glock 23 on the same background check. This is getting out of hand.

What did you pay for the AR if you don't mind me asking?

Not sure if any of you guys caught this article today, but it's worth reading. Apparently less than half of those polled were 'angry/upset' with how the votes went down in the Senate last week...not even a simple majority. So next time you hear the 90% bullshit, just remember this poll...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/04/24/why-the-american-public-isnt-mad-as-hell-about-the-failure-of-the-gun-bill-in-numbers/

What did you pay for the AR if you don't mind me asking?

$1145 for the AR and $540 for the Glock and no sales tax

Not sure if any of you guys caught this article today, but it's worth reading. Apparently less than half of those polled were 'angry/upset' with how the votes went down in the Senate last week...not even a simple majority. So next time you hear the 90% bullshit, just remember this poll...

http://www.washingto...ill-in-numbers/

If the 90% refers to the man's speech/tantrum the other day and how he blamed the NRA for lying; he was just upset that someone used his own playbook against his righteous cause.

The events in Boston also helped this out as most of the country heard and read the reports of an entire unarmed city cowering in fear of a couple of crazed terrorists. Maybe personal defense weapons have a place in our country after all.

Edited by morenoj135
  • Upvote 2

http://www.vancesle.com/category.cfm/CurrentPage/1/le/firearms/brand/ALL

I'm sure there are more around but here is a website I stumbled upon, that has a separate website for LEO/MIL prices. Of course, every gun I want has been "temporarily out of stock" for a while. Hopefully the idiots will stop buying up everything known to man soon, so we can get back to collecting/shooting our guns.

Hopefully the idiots will stop buying up everything known to man soon, so we can get back to collecting/shooting our guns.

Hey now! Buddy Spike is offended by you saying this about him!

Oh and agree on the price of the AR and Glock--paid too much. Seriously, if you can get a refund then I would take it back. If not, chalk it up to education (we've all done it). That's the problem with buying guns at the BX...I've rarely discovered it to be the best deal around.

• Upvote 1

Don't make fun of my disability!

P.S. - Just got my first shipment of PMAGS in today. So much for retirement.

Kudos to Magpul for stepping up production to keep prices low...the price is pretty darn close to what they were going for pre-scare. It just goes to show that a company doesn't need to guoge to make a profit. Btw--have you gotten any 20rd Pmags in .308 for the AR-10?...unless these mags are the ones you are referring to and if so, how much were they?

I've been looking for an AR platform for quite some time and this was the most reasonable price without having to find someone with an FFL or jumping through hoops. Bad news is that this becomes a lesson since the BX will not give refunds on guns or ammunition. Next time I do a little more homework, thanks for brightnening up my day,

Just so that I know, what are these weapons going for (when you can find them in stock) these days (not back in the day before the country went crazy)? Of course factor in shipping, FFL fees and tax.

At the same time I picked up some 40 round mags for $13 a piece. They complimented the 10 direct from Magpul (30 round).

I just did a quick internet check and the Glock 23 Gen 4 is on sale from $540-599. The Bushmaster XM-15 M4-AR3 lists for $1274 from the factory but I found it on other sites ranging from $1050-1199. Prices seem comperable (mostly) now if it's the weapon itself that you don't seem to favor that's another issue all together.

Edited by morenoj135

Kudos to Magpul for stepping up production to keep prices low...the price is pretty darn close to what they were going for pre-scare. It just goes to show that a company doesn't need to guoge to make a profit. Btw--have you gotten any 20rd Pmags in .308 for the AR-10?...unless these mags are the ones you are referring to and if so, how much were they?

I did two separate orders. First was 5 .223 30 rd and 5 .308 20 rd. Then I ordered an additional 5 .308 20 rd. Today's shipment was 5 .223 30 rd. Haven't received any 308 yet.

The AR-10 mags were $19.95/ea.

• Upvote 1

Just so that I know, what are these weapons going for (when you can find them in stock) these days (not back in the day before the country went crazy)? Of course factor in shipping, FFL fees and tax.

FFLs are generally easy to find and you should be able to get a transfer for <25-30 bucks. If you check out the link I posted above, you can see the MIL/LEO discounted prices. I'm not sure which Glock you picked up but you can get a Glock 23 Gen 4 (.40 S&W) for $399. Go to Glocks website and in the upper right hang quarter there is a find dealer by zip code container. Once that pops up, click on the LE dealers tap to find a place close to you. Not all Glock dealers can offer the MIL/LEO discount.

Find a local FFL here.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

FFLs are generally easy to find and you should be able to get a transfer for <25-30 bucks. If you check out the link I posted above, you can see the MIL/LEO discounted prices. I'm not sure which Glock you picked up but you can get a Glock 23 Gen 4 (.40 S&W) for $399. Go to Glocks website and in the upper right hang quarter there is a find dealer by zip code container. Once that pops up, click on the LE dealers tap to find a place close to you. Not all Glock dealers can offer the MIL/LEO discount.

Find a local FFL here.

http://www.gunbroker...lerNetwork.aspx

Not AD anymore can I still get the Mil/LE discount?

I've been looking for an AR platform for quite some time and this was the most reasonable price without having to find someone with an FFL or jumping through hoops. Bad news is that this becomes a lesson since the BX will not give refunds on guns or ammunition. Next time I do a little more homework, thanks for brightnening up my day,

At the same time I picked up some 40 round mags for $13 a piece. They complimented the 10 direct from Magpul (30 round).

Dude, don't sweat it...like I said earlier, we've all done it, especially starting out.

Bud's LE/MIL has been having the Smith and Wesson AR-15 (MP-15 OR) stripped down (ie no iron sights or fancy furniture) for about $850 lately, and you can get a $100 mil rebate from S&W on top of that price. Before the scare, and even once since the scare, they've had the price regularly at $750, which I would assume will be back again in the next few months if not sooner. Without looking at the Bushmaster vs S&W spec by spec, my guess is that they're comparable with the S&W probably being a bit better...if nothing else at least due to S&W being a solid company. I'm sure others with more AR knowledge can weigh in better than I can.

Go to slickguns.com and see what prices are going for (and these aren't even including the sweet LE/Mil deals) and you can base the market off various different prices. If you're just becoming a gun guy, you'll more than likely buy another AR again as firearms can be quite addictive, especially when you find them at an awesome price. Poor Buddy Spike is having to apply for food stamps because he spends so much on guns and accessories (I kid I kid). M2 is the same way, except for the that he chooses the mighty AK!

As for the buying a firearm online and going through an FFL, the process couldn't be any simpler (unless they ship it to your front door). You buy the gun online, tell them which FFL near you that you would like it sent to (make sure they have the FFL's info, if not, most companies will contact the FFL once you tell them which one), they send the firearm to the FFL (most places have free or cheap/$5-$20 shipping), then email/call the FFL to give them a heads up that they have a firearm for you coming their way, once it arrives the FFL calls you, you go over to the FFL and have the necessary credentials you would use to buy a gun at any gun store (ID, orders, etc), you look the gun over to make sure it's what your ordered with no damages (if by the weird chance there are problems, do not accept the firearm and call the company), then you fill out the standard NICS background form and he calls it in, a few minutes later you pay the guy and walk out with your gun (assuming you don't live in an anti-gun State). Bam, done, got the gun.

FFL's are pretty easy to find, just do a google search or even look on budsgunshop.com and they'll have a list in your area, or even call the local gun store/pawn shop and see how much they charge. Most charge anywhere from $25-50 per transfer, and many give the military their best rates...I currently pay $25, but at my last base I paid $20. As for the tax you speak of...well, unless the Senate Bill gets through to become law, out of State online sales don't directly charge sales tax just like all other online/out of State purchases.

There you have it--nothing to be afraid of and often allows you to get the best price! Good luck!

Edit: Looks like Social ID beat me to a lot of this.

As for your question about still getting the LE/Mil discount, if you are retired they still give it out. Here's the list that Buds uses:

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/le_info.php

Edited by HeloDude
  • Upvote 1

Not AD anymore can I still get the Mil/LE discount?

Depends on your status. There is a breakdown on the Glock site on who is eligible. If you're retired then yes. Not sure about if you got out and are no longer on IRR.

You could probably sell it online for what you paid, maybe more. Then go buy on at the mil price, if eligible.

Edited by SocialD

Depends on your status. There is a breakdown on the Glock site on who is eligible. If you're retired then yes. Not sure about if you got out and are no longer on IRR.

Checked the website and us old retired guys do qualify - so now I know what to ask when I shop.

• Upvote 2

I just did a quick internet check and the Glock 23 Gen 4 is on sale from $540-599. The Bushmaster XM-15 M4-AR3 lists for $1274 from the factory but I found it on other sites ranging from $1050-1199. Prices seem comperable (mostly) now if it's the weapon itself that you don't seem to favor that's another issue all together.

No worries, the joys of ownership last long after the fact that you overpaid fads into oblivion!

Now go find a large body of water to accidentally lose all your new toys in...

• Upvote 1