Gun Talk

VL-16

Guest ski&fly fast

If any of you are looking for a good rifle- I bought a Remington model 700ss r5 milspec with a leupold mark IV mil-dot scope. It is by far the most accurate rifle package I have ever shot (STS). A great comp target gun- varmint gun, and deer hunting, but fairly heavy. I feel comftorable holding .25 MOA at 200 yds! If you are not into the stainless barrel- paint it- but worth every cent!

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-499-836-...pe-rifling.aspx

Guest regularjoe

I am looking for some advice from some of you that hopefully either have one of these or have experience with one.

I am looking for a new "black gun" in .308, what I am interested in at the moment is;

Springfield M1A Socom/Scout

post-4065-1223401789_thumb.jpg

or the Armalite AR-10.

post-4065-1223401808_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any first hand opinions/info on either. I am looking for more user info on the M1A as I already have an Armalite in .223 so I have a fairly good idea what to expect with it in 308

I damn near grabbed a WASR-10 at the gun show because it was only $350. Despite being the lowest form of AK out there, I know there is a chance that even those will not be available or at astronomical prices in about a month. Unfortunately, the wallet was bare after buying the two M1911s...

What I need to do now is stockpile as much ammo as I can afford!

Cheers! M2

Guest regularjoe
In a month? Why?

election ?? maybe?

I know I have been buying all the High-cap mags I can in case it goes the wrong way

Well, don't panic yet.

Not even a new president elected in November can do anything until he is inagurated in January.

Plus, we're talking about something that will require a Congressional bill to pass two different houses.

So, this won't happen overnight.

But, by this time next year, we could potentially be looking at new firearms control legislation...my money's on AWB part II if anything.

But, by this time next year, we could potentially be looking at new firearms control legislation...my money's on AWB part II if anything.

Of course that all depends on next month's outcome; but if Obama wins and anyone bets against you on AWB II, they're a sucker! :bash:

I should've grabbed the WASR. If the Democrats grab the presidency, I probably won't go to the next gun show as the prices will piss me off too much!

Cheers! M2

Sorry but if Obama's "common sense" tells him that gun laws do anything other than prohibit law-abidding citizens from owning guns, once again he doesn't have a fucking clue as to what he is talking about!

Gun laws only impact those who obey the law. History has shown that nearly all criminals do not obey the law.

This captures the situation perfectly...

But, I guess if Obama wants to outlaw all guns; then all he is going to do is signficantly broaden the number of criminals out there; as there are a lot of 2d Amendment believers who say there is only one way they are going to give up their weapons...

Cheers! M2

The common thread to the quoted section above is a strong implication that sporting uses are the only appropriate use of firearms.

Which is in conflict with the recent Heller decision in the Supreme Court...so, at least there's one monkeywrench in the plans.

Which is in conflict with the recent Heller decision in the Supreme Court...so, at least there's one monkeywrench in the plans.

There is no doubt in my mind that an Obama/Biden presidency would target guns in one form or another. Obama has a very strong and distinct record of wanting to ban any and all guns - all the way through his days as a community organizer and state senator in Illinois. Biden was one of the people who authored the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban as well. That being said, I think there are other things on their plates they will have to address first, if elected, before tackling the subject of guns in the US.

I am looking for some advice from some of you that hopefully either have one of these or have experience with one.

I am looking for a new "black gun" in .308, what I am interested in at the moment is;

Springfield M1A Socom/Scout

post-4065-1223401789_thumb.jpg

or the Armalite AR-10.

post-4065-1223401808_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any first hand opinions/info on either. I am looking for more user info on the M1A as I already have an Armalite in .223 so I have a fairly good idea what to expect with it in 308

First - have you looked at .308 ammo prices? The prices on it have really gone up in the last year - over double.

Second - I am not a huge fan of the SOCOM - you start to deviate away from the original you are bound to have problems. Also, Springfield has more or less run out of USGI original M-14 parts and is now mostly using their inferior grade cast reproduction parts. I would shy away from current production Springfields if at all able to. I am honestly looking at picking up an old Poly-Tech or Norinco M14S because they use a nicer forged receiver than the Springfield. Swap out some parts and you'd have a superior gun.

As for the Armalite - I've read a lot of negative stuff about their .308s. I would stay away.

For an evil-black .308 you might want to look at DSA Arms and their FALs. I really like the ergonomics of the FAL. The DSA prices are reasonable and are high quality.

BF

I'm looking at buying another pistol and just looking for some food for thought. I have no purpose other than it has been awhile since I've got a new toy. I currently have a XD 9mm, 1911, and a S&W 357 revolver. I'm looking at getting something in a 40 or 357sig. One thing is the price of ammo that might help make my decision. I shot the Glock 31 and 32 today and I did like it. I've never owned a Glock but always liked them when I have shot them. I didn't shot, but looked at the Sig 226. It felt "thick" in my hand compared to the Glock or my XD, but it seems like everyone is constantly saying how great of a gun it is. Any insight from anyone?? Thanks

Guest regularjoe
First - have you looked at .308 ammo prices? The prices on it have really gone up in the last year - over double.

Second - I am not a huge fan of the SOCOM - you start to deviate away from the original you are bound to have problems. Also, Springfield has more or less run out of USGI original M-14 parts and is now mostly using their inferior grade cast reproduction parts. I would shy away from current production Springfields if at all able to. I am honestly looking at picking up an old Poly-Tech or Norinco M14S because they use a nicer forged receiver than the Springfield. Swap out some parts and you'd have a superior gun.

As for the Armalite - I've read a lot of negative stuff about their .308s. I would stay away.

For an evil-black .308 you might want to look at DSA Arms and their FALs. I really like the ergonomics of the FAL. The DSA prices are reasonable and are high quality.

BF

#1 - yep I have, but I have an entire garage full of .308 that is starting to turn green that I need to burn through.

#2 - thanks for the info

#3- My Armalite AR-15/M4 has been very reliable but maybe they have issues with the larger round

#4 - The point of wanting a recognized "black gun" is because it is sooooo fun to go to sight in day at the local public range and hear "oh you have one of those" then put a group downrange that shuts people up.

Guest regularjoe
Anyone know of mil discounts for AR-15s? I looking to pick one up at a reasonable price before they go away.

Barrett gave me a discount on my REC-7 but I would hardly call them "reasonably priced"

Anyone know of mil discounts for AR-15s? I looking to pick one up at a reasonable price before they go away.

Ha! A bunch of us at the squadron were talking about trying a "group buy" before January 20th.

So to piggyback...any military/group discounts on AR-15s? Beyond that...any good recommendations for AR-15s?

Ok guys, I have tried to read and understand what some of you are saying about which guns are good and which one(s) isn't... I made it through page 5 before it all turned into Latin.

Here is the deal:

The Hubster wants a gun. He was mentioned the Beretta(sp?) 92F (I think)--it's the gun that the AF uses..

Well, the gist that I got from 5 pages of reading is Beretta is not so good(?)

What would be a good, decent gun to get him, that is similar to the 92F?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry I need a translater :-)

Cheerio!

Kayla

I carried the 92F but would never own one. There are so many better guns out there if you're gonna spend your/his money on one. Plus, I'm no fan of 9mm; but many people like that caliber. I prefer the .45 myself, it did win WWII!

The one model I always recommend is Springfield Armory's XD series. I have one and love it, if he plans to carry it or use it for home defense (although a shotgun would be better for the latter), it is a good choice. Hi capacity (14 bullets), accurate and reliable. It was 'Gun of the Year' and numerous other awards when it came out two years ago. My wife shoots it as well, and likes it but prefers my 1911s better. That's because they are single stacked (in the magazine) versus the staggered stacked XD (which are a little thicker in the grips).

Get hubby on here if he has questions...

Cheers! M2

Kayla

I carried the 92F but would never own one. There are so many better guns out there if you're gonna spend your/his money on one. Plus, I'm no fan of 9mm; but many people like that caliber. I prefer the .45 myself, it did win WWII!

The one model I always recommend is Springfield Armory's XD series. I have one and love it, if he plans to carry it or use it for home defense (although a shotgun would be better for the latter), it is a good choice. Hi capacity (14 bullets), accurate and reliable. It was 'Gun of the Year' and numerous other awards when it came out two years ago. My wife shoots it as well, and likes it but prefers my 1911s better. That's because they are single stacked (in the magazine) versus the staggered stacked XD (which are a little thicker in the grips).

Get hubby on here if he has questions...

Cheers! M2

See, that's the problem, this is going to be his christmas gift. I honestly don't think he even knows what he wants. He told me to talk to our old roomie who is huge into guns, but that man is damn near impossible to get a hold of! Which is why I came on here! I think his reasoning for wanted the 92F is because it is what the AF does their hand gun tests with. Otherwise, I think he's open to any type of gun..

I will check out the two sites you listed, and go from there.. Thank you!

Edited to add:

Not gonna lie, the XD series is rather scary looking..! (I'm such a whimp!)

Edited by The Kayla

Guest regularjoe
See, that's the problem, this is going to be his christmas gift. I honestly don't think he even knows what he wants. He told me to talk to our old roomier who is huge into guns, but that man is damn near impossible to get a hold of! Which is why I came on here! I think his reasoning for wanted the 92F is because it is what the AF does their hand gun tests with. Otherwise, I think he's open to any type of gun..

I will check out the two sites you listed, and go from there.. Thank you!

Edited to add:

Not gonna lie, the XD series is rather scary looking..! (I'm such a whimp!)

My Dad was a huge Beretta fan carried one for 20 of 33 years with Treasury so when I first started out with handguns that is what I shot. Like most on this forum I now it is not the first gun I look for at gun sale, reason - nothing more than personal preference I feel that there are better handguns out there for the money.

However, in the Beretta line there is a HUGE difference between a true Italian made Beretta vs one made in the US. The thing that is nice about Beretta's is that they have a larger grip which is nice for us guys with meaty hands. I owned both a model 84 and 96. The 96 was a very nice gun (same as the 92F but in .40 caliber), but I ultimately traded it for a Sig 220. I still have and still carry the 84 as I feel it is one of the best 13 shot .380's out there in terms of reliability but again mine is an Italian made which is like comparing a M series BMW to a Toyota in terms of manufacturing.

Guest F16crewdwgg

I think besides armed forces and police and such... hand guns should be outlawed. Hand guns are easy to sneak in places and carry around. Shotguns I think are alright, just because people use them for hunting.. They can also be used for protection :)

I've enjoyed this thread immensely... I've learned more reading M2's posts than in years of research it seems.

I'm going to slightly hijack the thread... I'm looking for a shotgun.

I used to shoot trap/skeet a very little back on the farm growing up, and would like to get back into it with some dudes I work with. Anybody know what a good/but affordable trap gun would be? Most people always lead off with the Remington 870 Trap Classic... is that as good as it gets to balance price and quality? What about trap guns with lower recoil? If you're gonna shoot trap for the day, you'd like to have at least some use of your shoulder the next day.

I'd also like it to serve as home defense should the handgun not suffice. Trap gun may not be primary home defense shotgun, but unless its really hitting the fan, I hope I don't need a tactical shotgun.

Also b/c I think it'd be really interesting given how great this thread has been, what would those of you knowledgeable on the subject list as "3 Guns Every Man Should Own." Just curious.

Cheers

Have you thought about autoloaders? I like Benellis, but when the fam gets together over the holidays for a big skeet/trap shoot, I always grab the old Remington 1100. I absolutely love it. If your into the modern stuff, the Benellis have lots of high tech stuff in the stock, recoil dampeners and surgical gel recoil pads and such. With an auto action, a 12 guage Benelli kick little more than your avg 20. My old 1100 is immaculate, inexpensive, and I prefer the traditional look. My Benelli Super Sport looks like something from an aliens movie, high-tech, expensive, fun to shoot - but not something I like to take to the range for all the WTF?! looks I get - it's overkill and I'll probably trade it in on the AR i'm looking for.

Although I have a closet full, I'm all about practicality. If I could only have 3, The first 3 that come to mind without really mulling over the subject would be:

1. A good autoloading 12 guage. I like the action and reliability of pumps, but a well maintained autoloader is hard to beat either in hunting or self defense. I've got a slug barrel with scope for larger game, a long shot barrel for skeet, trap, birds, and small animals, and a cut-down barrel for when it's sitting next to the nightstand. Probably my favorite gun - it does it all.

2. A Ruger 10/22. Mine has a 2lb trigger kit, laminate thumbhole stock, and fluted bull barrel. Some here will scoff at the small caliber stuff, but I think it's more practical. Ammo is cheaper than dirt and 99% of the time, you're just plinking anyway. You can stack bullets in the target at 50 yards with the right set-up and it's more than adequate for small game. I'd say because it's a semi-auto and you can get 30+ round clips, it'd even do for self defense in a pinch. If I lived out west where I needed to kill larger game at 100 yards or more where the 12 won't reach, I might sub a lever action 30-30 or bolt action Remington 700 target series .308 for the Ruger.

3. Large caliber handgun. That's been discussed at length here.

Just was reading about the Super Sport the other day, and you're right. It has a "what the hell is that" cool look to it, that much is for sure. I think I'd be looking in the used department though with the cost of the new ones.

Guest ski&fly fast
Have you thought about autoloaders? I like Benellis, but when the fam gets together over the holidays for a big skeet/trap shoot, I always grab the old Remington 1100. I absolutely love it. If your into the modern stuff, the Benellis have lots of high tech stuff in the stock, recoil dampeners and surgical gel recoil pads and such. With an auto action, a 12 guage Benelli kick little more than your avg 20. My old 1100 is immaculate, inexpensive, and I prefer the traditional look. My Benelli Super Sport looks like something from an aliens movie, high-tech, expensive, fun to shoot - but not something I like to take to the range for all the WTF?! looks I get - it's overkill and I'll probably trade it in on the AR i'm looking for.

2-

I made the mistake and bought a Stoeger 12 guage (auto) They are made by binelli, look almost identical to a Binelli, but are not made with the same accuracy and standards. Therefore, if your looking for an auto 12 guage, make sure you don't get duped into a stoeger. I had stoeger put a new barrel in it and I still get a jam every dozen or so rounds.

If your looking for an over-under, a Browning citori is a great gun. Although, you will pay a lot of money for one, but worth every penny. Either of these guns are probably the best in the market for an overall shotgun for pheasants, waterfowl, or clays. Both guns are also very spendy though-

1- Remington 1100 12 gauge. Super versitile- birds, trap, deer, turkey, etc. Great all around hunting/sport gun.

2- Large caliber handgun. colt python .357

3- .22 rifle. Great for plinking and having fun shooting. Shoot all day for less than 10 bucks. Economical and fun.

Or this-

Best Shotgun