Preparing for UPT

Opie

As many others have pointed out, you don't *have* to study anything prior to UPT in order to succeed. Also, once you start UPT, you have gotten on an ass-pain train that is not going to stop for about 2 years, so it's in your best interests to just enjoy your time with no responsibilities.

That being said, when I went to UPT I'd had a copy of the Tweet -1 that I'd been studying for months. A student I met pointed out some of the things for me to focus my reading on (notes, cautions, warnings, etc) and that gave me a *serious* advantage once we hit the flightline.

So, it's your choice -- listen to those of us who speak from experience when we say "just relax -- you'll be glad you did," or grab that -1 and start the pain early.

• Upvote 1

Here we go again....perhaps we should have a separate forum for "should I study before UPT."

I was not even going to reply to the topic this time, but since so many other people did I will add my $.02 to it.

I studied a lot before UPT and felt it gave me a great advantage. For most of Tweets, my classmates would come to me if they could not find an IP to ask GK questions to. I had the boldface/ops limits memorized before arriving at CBM and had already put a dent in the systems knowledge (I studied those flashcards that you can download from gouge websites). During academics I really studied systems and EP's (section I and III of the -1) hard - much to the dismay of my other classmates who wondered why I was studying more than the easy academics syllabus called for.

I am not sure why people say studying beforehand is useless because "you won't understand it anyway." If you read about things like how flaps, attenuators, nosewheel steering, speed brakes, and landing gear are the hydraulic components in the Tweet, how is that not understandable and a waste of time? That is knowledge that you are going to be expected to know on day 3 or so up until the day you graduate from Tweets.

Anyway, I am with Hacker on this one. You will do fine in UPT if you relax beforehand and just be reactive and study the stuff as it comes. You will also be ahead of the game and it will relieve a little pressure from the first 1/2 year at UPT if you get a jump on it right now and start studying hydraulics, fuel, electrics, ops limits, and EP's (especially notes/warning/cautions).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was wondering where I could get my hands on a copy of T-6 or T-37 boldface/ops limit/flight manuals? I want to start studying early and be prepared during casual status. Is this something I can only get at a UPT base? Or any base? Can I purchase a copy online somehow? Or are the manuals something I have to wait to actually be IN UPT?? Any advice or tips would be great.

Hey, all the boldface and ops limits can be found on the baseops homepage. Once you arrive at your UPT base, you can go over to publications and pick up the Dash-1. You will have plenty of time while on casual to look through all the information found in the Dash-1 as well as go to the Cockpit Familiarization Trainers (CFT's).

Originally posted by caliiceman328:

What exactly is the Dash -1??? Can the Dash-1 be purchased online, or at any base? Or only UPT bases?

I don't think any Dash One can be found online - at least I have never seen one. Not sure for the reasoning on that.

As far as what a -1 is; it is basically the pilots operating handbook for the specific aircraft in question. It contains all your systems info, operational limitations of the aircraft, emergency procedures, and lots of other numbers and information that you will be asked on daily flights and weekly quizzes.

All Air Force aircraft (not sure how the other branches do it) have a series of technical orders, or TO's. These TO's are labeled in sequence as -1, -2, -3, etc. The first manual for any aircraft TO is the -1 or "dash one." It is the basic owners manual for the aircraft that all pilots are issued and are expected to pretty much master. Usually the -2 and -3 are maintenance manuals (I think) or references for some other systems on the aircraft.

The nomenclature usually goes something like this: T.O. 1T-37-1. This would be the first tech order for the Tweet, or the "dash one." There are add-ons for checklists (they add a "CL" at the end of the -1 name) and appendices for TOLD.

Again, the dash one is available at your UPT base. You may be able to buy it somewhere like Ebay or something, but it is probably a waste of time and money since it will be out of date. I would just wait until you get to UPT, go to the bookstore when you get there, and get a -1. You can start studying ahead at that point if you want (whole 'nother discussion as to how much, if any, you should study beforehand - see other posts).

Good luck.

[ 22. February 2005, 21:08: Message edited by: JS ]

• 3 years later...
Guest sabini

Again, general advice for new UPT studs. Know your systems, but don't focus exclusively on section I trying to learn all the tidbits. Most guys I knew never cracked section II or III because IPs rarely asked questions about that info, but it is some of the more important stuff in the book (especially once you become operational). Besides, when you know section III (EPs) you elevate your systems knowledge exponentially. You'll also be able to, "explain what you'll lose with a right gen failure and what you'll do."

In college, would you spend all of your time studying for just one class? Without getting too deep in a philosophy of training debate, that's the simple advice I'm trying to give the young pups - don't ignore the useful information in the -1 just so that you can study more systems (section I) because a FAIP is going to drill you on the hydroplaning speed of the tire (9 x sqrt of the tire pressure, IIRC)

out.

FWIW, there are several former FAIPS/IPs in the squadron I'm casual at and universally their advice has been this:

Probably a good idea to know Boldface / Ops Limits, other than that don't worry about it. Relax and have a :beer: you'll have plenty of time to know that stuff once you get there.

My good friend who is finishing up the C17 B-course told me the same.

• 1 month later...
probably a good idea to know Boldface / Ops Limits, other than that don't worry about it. Relax and have a :beer: you'll have plenty of time to know that stuff once you get there.

This is horrible advice. Horrible.

UPT is a competition. It starts on day 1. The more queepy stuff you can know before you get there, the more you can focus on "chairflying" and other important stuff. Whoever told you that "you'll have plenty of time to know that stuff once you get there" does not remember what it's like. That is absolute horseshit. There will not be enough hours in the day. UPT, especially at first, is a firehose.

Don't study the Dash 1 yet...you won't understand it, so you won't remember it and you won't be able to sort past the chaff because you don't know what is important. You can get to that later.

Definitely (not probably) know the ops limits/boldface. Cold. Backwards and forwards. EXACTLY how it appears on the sheet, i.e. perfect spelling, perfect punctuation, etc.

Then get on that T-6 driver site and look for something like "need to know numbers"...not sure what it's called on that site exactly, but look around and you'll find it. It will be several pages of numbers and a description of them. Learn all of those numbers. You don't need to know what they mean yet, but if you simply memorize them, it will make life much easier for you. Once it gets explained to you in systems class, you will now understand it...but more importantly you'll REMEMBER it, because you already knew the number and now know what it means.

I HIGHLY recommend you take all the ops limits, boldface, and all the need to know numbers and put them on 3x5 index cards. This will take you forever. Doesn't matter. You've got nothing but time right now. You will start learning as you write. The question on one side, the answer on the other. Then grab a small, manageable stack of them every day and throw them in your pocket as you run off to your casual status job. When you find yourself bored and doing nothing (and I guarantee you will), flip through them. If you spend 5 or 10 minutes a day learning all of that stuff on casual status when you are doing nothing, you will know it all by the end and be WAY AHEAD when you get to UPT. I honest to God can still quote a couple of my flash cards from when I made them in 1995.

If your goal is simply to graduate UPT, then fine...show up not knowing anything. You'll probably graduate. If you actually want to fly something in particular, then realize it's a competition. While your buds are spending their first month of academics going home and cramming to learn info that you have learned at a very medium pace over your 6 months of casual, you can spend your time chairflying, learning pattern ops, radio calls, etc. EVERY SINGLE THING YOU DO COUNTS at UPT. I've seen dudes not get what they want by the slimmest of margins. One dude I taught who didn't get a T-38 missed the cut by 3 questions on an EPQ (weekly test). 3 questions out of probably a thousand. It matters dude. Every little bit matters.

Why should you listen to me and not these other dudes? I've been a UPT IP, I've been an RTU IP, I've been a CAF IP. I have given this same advice to all the casual dudes who have worked in my squadrons. Out of the dudes who listened, 2 ended up being my students in Eagles, and third one is in my operational squadron now. The dudes who didn't care are all flying stuff they didn't want to. Yes, plenty of dudes do just fine and get what they want without doing this act...and no, this won't guarantee you your choice of assignments, but it speaks to your "give a shit" factor. I don't care what you want to fly...fighters, tankers, helicopters...doesn't matter. This advice holds true. Because I guarantee there will be assignments on the board on your assignment night that you DON'T want. Your job is to be in position to get the assignment that you DO want, whatever that is. No assigment is a gimme, depending on what everyone else in your class wants. Like I said, it starts on day one. No need to have a heart attack over it now, but I think you'll find that you can find 5 minutes a day every day (or at least most days) when you are on casual status without stressing yourself out. Just five or ten friggin minutes. That adds up. And I assure you that you will still find more than enough time for beer and chicks and relaxing before UPT kicks off.

Good advice from T-Bone and sky king. My big caution is don't go reading the Dash 1, checklist or IFG. Ops limits/Boldface, "T-6 Need to Know Numbers" and the 11-248 are the limit to what you should do prior to UPT. As sky king said, just read the first couple chapters of the 248, the rest of the stuff will be a waste of time at this point. People who try to read the Dash 1, IFG, etc. are wasting their time...time that could be spent memorize "by the numbers" or getting the first few chapters of the 248 down cold.

• 1 year later...
Guest 1234567

Reviving the thread...no one has talked about the T-6 by the numbers doc in awhile and I wanted to make sure it was still accurate and still worth studying before UPT. Got the boldface and ops limits down, and looking to study some more, since I sit in an office with nothing else to do all day long. Also, how can I get my hands on a Dash-1 or an IFG? Also trying to find some checklists and which ones need to be memorized.

Edited by 1234567

Reviving the thread...no one has talked about the T-6 by the numbers doc in awhile and I wanted to make sure it was still accurate and still worth studying before UPT. Got the boldface and ops limits down, and looking to study some more, since I sit in an office with nothing else to do all day long. Also, how can I get my hands on a Dash-1 or an IFG? Also trying to find some checklists and which ones need to be memorized.

The numbers can "change" as the aircraft is flown and problems are discovered and info is revised. I'm one ride away from being T-6 complete and my -1 has many many changes in it. Several changes had to be written in between Midphase and Final Contact!

My In Flight Guide has one new change since they came out with a new IFG two weeks ago! The point is that the T-6 by the numbers you receive may not be 100% accurate because we studs experience new shit with this engine, causing the Air Force to keep revising certain numbers. Also, you should not worry about memorizing that shit, or any other shit other than your Boldface and Ops limits. Dude, I sat in an office with nothing else to do and just worked on memorizing BF/Ops Limits too - trust me that is ALL you need to worry about. Dudes on this site and dudes you may meet will tell you "Oh, you should read this and that and blah blah blah because UPT is a competition and etc etc!" - Those dudes are leading you down a bad path. What'll happen is that if you know just your BF/Ops Limits on Day 1, you and your homies in your class should be getting together every night except Fri/Sat and quizzing each other and teaching each other this shit. Over and over again. Then you will learn the material and you'll be helping your bros. THAT is where you can stand out to the IP's - if they see you teaching this shit correctly to your flightmates and helping them out without trying to shine the spotlight on yourself. That's where study habits and being a team player during UPT come into play and that's the REAL competition behind Phase 1&2. Plus I guarantee you none of the shit that's in the 248, the Dash 1 or the IFG will make any sense to you until you actually start. If it does, then you've probably been through UPT already or you're a f*king genius. I had no clue what an AOA indicator is or how it should be used in a crosscheck during perch to final. The only reason I knew about the break zone was from IFS but I had no idea what a straight-in was or how to do one until I did one in the sim and in the jet. Just f*cking relax and memorize your boldface/ops limits, get laid and have a beer because I guarantee you you will NOT have time to do anything other than study once you hit the flightline.

Guest 1234567

Honestly, I have nothing better to do while at work, so I'm going to be studying something. Can you at least tell me if the "T-6 by the numbers" info is mostly accurate? I know that some numbers might be off, but if most are right then I can memorize them plus make some flashcards which will also allow me to help out others in my flight. I know from IFS, the more you are prepared for academics and GK, the more time you can spend focusing on profiles and flying. That's all I'm trying to do.

Guest pilotapplicant

I am almost done with T-6's and for what it's worth I fundamentally agree with your statement that "from IFS, the more you are prepared for academics and GK, the more time you can spend focusing on profiles and flying." I studied a ton before I got here. I studied the 11-248, the Dash-1, the 11-202V3 and the 11-217. I rocked academics and I believe I did better flying because I only had to focus on memorizing a few details that I had not picked up from self study so I could focus on FLYING. It is true that some of the stuff won't make sense. The key to getting value out of your studying is to recognize when you don't understand something read over it quickly and just move on to the next paragraph, page, chapter ect. Much of the flying stuff is self referential and reading one thing will make other stuff make sense.

People keep posting on here that you shouldn't worry about this stuff until you get here. I feel that they are implying that when you get here someone is going to take you by the hand and spoon feed you all this stuff. That has not been my experience. Most of our learning here is just being told to go home and study X,Y, and Z in the 217 or the Dash-1. During academics you do computer based training that just uses a computer to teach you the stuff that is in the manuals anyway. I never sweated the academic tests or the EPQ's because I had a solid base of knowledge when I got here. It is not like I spent a year locked in a cave studying I was just like you killing time at work or when I had a little downtime. I firmly believe that my advance study has allowed me to do much better here than I otherwise would have and to have a better quality of life. I can't tell you how many times my Bros leave work and stay up late studying while I go to the gym do a quick review session and get a full nights sleep.

And I wouldn't worry much about studying out of date info. OCCASIONALLY there is a minor change(one exception is that the 11-217 was rewritten a couple years ago so make sure you have a current edition). I got my copy of the Dash-1 in November of last year and I think when I started UPT in March there were about four single word changes and a couple of numbers that had changed. I strongly believe that it is easier to be familiar with, if not know, the 10,000 correct things in there and then relearn a couple changes when they occur. Systems, Procedures and Regs will change your whole career and you will need to unlearn stuff; might as well start now.

If you are at a UPT base you could probably photo copy (for about $30 at Kinkos) a Dash-1. Or get a friend at a UPT base to do it for you. The 11-248 is available on t6driver and the 11-202 and 11-217 can be found in air force pubs online.

Good luck with your study,

Pilotapplicant

Perhaps this would be better posted in the "doing well in UPT" section. But since Noonin and sky_king and others have talked about this subject in this thread, I'll go ahead and post here.

I'm a new LT getting ready to start UPT soon, and I'm a little confused how to approach the year ahead. Is this a competition, where the point is to be the best in everything I do? Or are we all one big team, and my job is to do my best to help everybody succeed, no matter what it costs me? It seems to me it's the former, since the number of '38 slots is less than the number of studs who want them. But I've read here (and heard it from other pilots) that you don't want to be "that guy" who studies hard and tries his/her hardest to be the best. That's confusing to me. In HS basketball, I busted my butt in the off-season (and in-season) to be the absolute best I could be. Then I showed up at preseason and took care of business. Not to blow my own horn (sts), but my coaches didn't look at me and put me last on the depth chart because I wanted to be the best; they put me first because I was the best at the position I played (and was thus best for the team). I'm doing everything I can to get ready (I've practically memorized Danny Noonin's post 'cause I've read it so many times), and when UPT starts, I will do my dead-level best to help out my flight-mates (at least those who want to do well and are putting in the effort). But should I try to hide my intentions and act like I'm just happy to be there and that I am most concerned just that everybody in my flight graduates?? To me, it seems like I should approach UPT like I would basketball preseason: Either me or the next guy gets the starting role, and I will do all that I can (without stepping on him) to make sure that it's me.

If I need to knocked down a few notches, then let me have it.

Honestly, I have nothing better to do while at work, so I'm going to be studying something. Can you at least tell me if the "T-6 by the numbers" info is mostly accurate? I know that some numbers might be off, but if most are right then I can memorize them plus make some flashcards which will also allow me to help out others in my flight. I know from IFS, the more you are prepared for academics and GK, the more time you can spend focusing on profiles and flying. That's all I'm trying to do.

For the most part it's pretty accurate. There are a handful of numbers (can't remember which ones off the top of my head) that are different but you'll figure them out when you get your Dash 1. I'd say it's worth memorizing if you have the time. Making flashcards is definitely the way to go. It's a metric fecal ton of notecards but it's easier to memorize.

The new OG here at Laughlin told our class on day 1, "A lot of you were probably told not to study before UPT and enjoy your time off. You know who told you that? Satan." Take that FWIW.

Edited by go_cubbies22

I'm a new LT getting ready to start UPT soon, and I'm a little confused how to approach the year ahead. Is this a competition, where the point is to be the best in everything I do? Or are we all one big team, and my job is to do my best to help everybody succeed, no matter what it costs me? It seems to me it's the former, since the number of '38 slots is less than the number of studs who want them. But I've read here (and heard it from other pilots) that you don't want to be "that guy" who studies hard and tries his/her hardest to be the best. That's confusing to me. In HS basketball, I busted my butt in the off-season (and in-season) to be the absolute best I could be. Then I showed up at preseason and took care of business. Not to blow my own horn (sts), but my coaches didn't look at me and put me last on the depth chart because I wanted to be the best; they put me first because I was the best at the position I played (and was thus best for the team). I'm doing everything I can to get ready (I've practically memorized Danny Noonin's post 'cause I've read it so many times), and when UPT starts, I will do my dead-level best to help out my flight-mates (at least those who want to do well and are putting in the effort). But should I try to hide my intentions and act like I'm just happy to be there and that I am most concerned just that everybody in my flight graduates?? To me, it seems like I should approach UPT like I would basketball preseason: Either me or the next guy gets the starting role, and I will do all that I can (without stepping on him) to make sure that it's me.

If you're not trying to be the best at what you do, you're wrong. If you're not always trying to improve, you're wrong. However, you need to do this without being a d-bag and stepping on others to do it. You should want to be the best...this means working hard, studying, asking questions, puting in more than normal effort, etc. How you do this and not be a d-bag/be a team player is easy - Do the aforementioned, but help your bros. If you learn something from an IP that's really helpful (even if it's just an answer to a question you've all been wondering about), tell your bros. Don't wait for someone to hook a ride and then tell them after the fact. Don't withold info to make other dudes not look as good, etc. Maybe you're better at instruments than another guy, take the initiatve and ask if he needs any help. Tell him how such and such helps you fly a wicked awesome ILS. You can always strive to be the best, but still help your bros at the same time. It's very simple, as long as you're not "that guy."

The "T-6 by the numbers" gouge does tell you the recommended tire pressure for the main and nose gear along with every other number in the Dash 1. I don't feel that I wasted any penguins memorizing it and if you have free time at your BS casual job you might as well learn it. When you do start class, you don't have to waste time memorizing those numbers and can start on something else.

Edited by go_cubbies22

I think the by the numbers is good to do if you've got the time at work, but reading the Dash-1, 217, 202, etc. is a waste of time. You'll give yourself an aneurism just trying to understand/remember 2% of the stuff in there. It will all completely make sense to you when the time comes. If you try to read that stuff, even during your "nothing to do at work" time, you'll just get frustrated and I can almost guarantee you it will not help you at all. By the time you get to the point you start applying stuff like 217/202, I bet you won't have remembered a damn thing from when you read way back in casual...and if you do remember something, it'll be only one thing that would take you 6.9 sec to look up anyways. I feel you on the "I want to be as prepared as possible and not waste casual time" thing, but seriously man, anything past "numbers" and Bold Face, with MAYBE a little light reading of the first few chapters of 248 is not going to help.

Perhaps this would be better posted in the "doing well in UPT" section. But since Noonin and sky_king and others have talked about this subject in this thread, I'll go ahead and post here.

If I need to knocked down a few notches, then let me have it.

You're golden bro. Help people who want to be helped when you can offer that help without detriment to yourself. Don't hide anything or be fake with anyone. You have the right to want whatever you want and the duty to try your best to get it; but your classmates will feel betrayed if you say one thing and act another. Thats not just whats expected in UPT, but for your whole career.

Everyone learns differently and what works for one may not work for the other.

With that said, I'm a member of the "don't over-study" camp. I'm not saying don't study, I'm saying keep it simple. Don't study too far into stuff that doesn't make sense yet. It doesn't matter if you can spout off the min wx for a formation approach on day one since you can't even start the engine yet without IP intervention.

Your first block of UPT is going to be mostly pattern work, stalls, and slow flight. Prepare for that. Everything after C4000 block is building on what you previously learned.

You're never wrong studying boldface/ops limits, NWC, and Chapter 1&3.

HD

1234567...enjoy your time off. You run the risk of the numbers changing even if they are accurate right now. That will only hurt you. Plus, the advice I was given by a major when I was casual was "you'll never have it as easy as you do when your casual, so enjoy EVERY minute of it". If I only knew then how easy I had it, I would not have even considered worrying about studying for UPT that early. I'd say start working the boldface/ops limits 10 days out, that's it. Granted this is my post-UPT opinion, take it or leave it.

If you really want to learn/do some important stuff before starting UPT that will be 100% useful. I would taking care of the following 3 things.

1. Investing. TSP, Roth IRAs, allotments, etc. get smart on ALL this stuff and put a plan in place to start saving money now. Best advice I ever got was to set 100% of my incentive pay(flight pay) into TSP 6 months before I even started getting flight pay. Now it is all going towards retirement, as well as maxing my ROTH IRA, and I don't miss a penny of it. Even doing all that I am still able to buy as much beer as any other Lt. out there.

2. Education. Knock out 3 or 4(or more) masters classes while you are on casual most places give you a 7 year window to complete the degree, or at least embry riddle does and they have an office at every AFB I have ever heard of. Also, get smart on the post 9/11 GI bill. This is a huge benefit that if used well could be worth over $100,000 of education for either you, your spouse, or one of your kids.

3. Get in shape if you aren't already. If you are only in semi-decent shape now odds are you will be in horrible shape towards the end of phase 3. That said my squadron DO said yesterday, "We will not graduate a student that can't pass a PT test." Make damn sure you aren't that guy/gal. My first week at ASBC I saw a girl get sent home for not passing the PT test...how will that affect her down the road I don't know...but I am sure it didn't help her any.

Just my $.02 but I see tons of my peers who aren't doing those above three things, and those three things are what will put you heads and shoulders above your peers in both your career and life in general.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1