Wearing Jump Wings at UPT

I'm getting ready to head off to UPT at Moody, class 07-13, and I've got a question. In some of the pre-arrival info I received from the registrar, it recommended having flight-suit nametags before showing up. They gave their specs for what they require, black leather, name, rank. However, in the picture and accompanying description, nothing was mentioned about having your jump wings on them or not. Does anyone know for sure if I can have them? Thanks in advance.

We were given ours here (Vance), the day before we started...I didn't get my wings on it nor did any of the USAFA dudes in our class. I hear that you can have them on there once your flight(s) are allowed to wear the class patch and, then I think we can get "real" nametags....I have seen some students around with their wings on, but they are much further along than our class. At some point you can, I would just get the basic black patch until you hear otherwise...you don't wana show up being "that guy."

Guest ShineR

About the AFA wings, I dont think those are actual rated jump wings. I dont remember where I read it, but you can only wear those as a cadet and once you hit AD they are a NOGO. However, if you have been to Airborne, those are rated wings, youve earned them, and by reg required to wear them.

Riddller's right.

The only mandatory badges are your most current aeronautical (pilot, nav, ABM, Flight Doc) and chaplain. Parachutist badges are not aeronautical (I checked 11-402). Anything else is optional. So, navs at UPT must wear their nav wings, but a jump qualified (Rucker or USAFA) nav may or may not wear the parachutist badge. Helo pilots have to wear their pilot wings.

I didn't look up prior enlisted aircrew, but if I was a loadmaster or engineer or boom, I would wear my wings.

Besides, the little jump wings under the pilot wings are the "academy identification badge"...they gotta have something in the airplane, since you can't wear rings ;)

[ 21. March 2006, 23:13: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

Guest AirGuardian

As Riddler said, the AFA Wings are worn on AD - adopted from the Army of course - hence some people wear the Black Army Airborne Wings vs the Blue AF style copy.

If you earned it, wear'm proud!

Guest PilotKD
Originally posted by Nightrider03:

I'm getting ready to head off to UPT at Moody, class 07-13, and I've got a question. In some of the pre-arrival info I received from the registrar, it recommended having flight-suit nametags before showing up. They gave their specs for what they require, black leather, name, rank. However, in the picture and accompanying description, nothing was mentioned about having your jump wings on them or not. Does anyone know for sure if I can have them? Thanks in advance.

Hey Nightrider, a bit off subject, but is "Patty" still there at Moody as the registrar?

Um, but yeah you can wear jump wings and yes, I had to order my tags before arriving also and that was March 2003. :D

Guest chosen_one50

Be safe and don't wear 'em until told you can do so, always the safe bet, especially when in AETC as a student...And by the way you CAN wear them on active duty if you choose to do so.

Guest sickels101

Screw being safe, you earned them. I've known plenty of studs who wore them. Why would AETC care if you are wearing a badge that is allowed and you earned? Just so long as you still have the same style of name tag the rest of the class has.

Guest sickels101
Originally posted by brabus:

Is it normal to have to buy the plain leather nametag before UPT, or do they make it for you and you just have to tell them on your own accord to put the jump wings on?

At Vance they made it for us but they didn't really care who had what regarding badges (unless you were prior aircrew). But once we soloed we were allowed to do whatever the hell we wanted to with our patch situation. If you want to but a leather patch with jump wings or whatever on it, I would get the standard silver writing. I recommend Mardon Co for any and all patch work.

Originally posted by ShineR:

About the AFA wings, I dont think those are actual rated jump wings. I dont remember where I read it, but you can only wear those as a cadet and once you hit AD they are a NOGO. However, if you have been to Airborne, those are rated wings, youve earned them, and by reg required to wear them.

That's how you can usually tell the USAFA grads from the rest of us "other active duty folk." They have their jump wings on the BDUs and blues.

Originally posted by kylejustin:

What about badges from prior AFSCs?

What you need to get are a pair of the new Space and Missile "SPWINGS!" (Yes, they are actually called spwings)

04-198.jpg

Pretty sweet if you ask me! All the misileers look like actual pilots now, especially in their purty flight suits! :rolleyes:

At Laughlin they have this ancient machine that makes the name tags, and your class is the one that makes them. So yeah anyone with the "academy pin" put them on and no one I've ever been around has said anything about them.

[ 25. March 2006, 12:33: Message edited by: Cappy70 ]

I saw a dude that graduated from my det a year ago last week. He's a contracting officer at Peterson and HAS the spwings. He thinks it's the gayest idea ever. So does everyone in space command get them or something? I forgot to ask. And being a contractor, he has nothing to do with pushing buttons or "flying" satellites.

Guest ruckerstud

Actually the S&M folks call the wreath and star "spwing with bling". I am still amazed that some one came up with something pisses off pilots and missile folks off at the same time.