Call Signs

Guest Raccoon

Guest Guard Hopefull01

From what I know there is no formal process, its just a name that sticks when you screw up or do something dumb that is noteworthy of a name being given. As for the timeline I would guess when you get to your assigned unit after UPT.

While I was a T-38 IP, we would give names to the students, using 10% percent stories or plays on people's names like Chuck said, normally after they were all done with the first checkride, the contact check.

The same process is normally repeated when they get to their respective MWS FTU squadrons.

The name that normally sticks with you is once you complete MQT at your first operational squadron. Once you have flown combat with that name, it's yours. Unitl then, there is always the chance you could do something even more dumb that what you did to get your first name, and they might try to re-name you, but I have never actually heard of that happening.

Hoser

The rule, for 10% stories, is that the story only has to be 10% percent true with the other 90% being made up. Obviously, that can lead to some pretty fictious stories being made up. Don't know about the other bases, but here at Sheppard we get one in 37s and a different one in 38s.. I'm guessing its the same at the other bases. My fav of all time for a stud: Nooner. Yup, you know where that one came from.

All those other names don't mean shit until you get to your first operational fighter assignment. You'd better not refer to yourself as anything but "FNG" until you are Mission Ready and get your Tactical Fighter Pilot Callsign. Better yet, don't refer to yourself at all. If you come to our squadron calling yourself anything but "FNG" until you are officially named by the squadron, then you will be named "Handjob" for trying to give yourself one. That goes for Colonels and Lt Colonels, too. Our squadron has a proud heritage of naming field graders "Handjob."

When you get a callsign in a fighter squadron, that becomes your name. No one will even remember your first name, if they ever knew it to begin with. Only your wife and your mom will call you by your real name.

• Like 1

I'll agree anything prior to arriving at your unit will be tossed out. We've had a lot of guys fresh out of UPT come through our RTU trying to use their "callsign" and quickly receiving the riot act. Most of us don't use callsigns in the AWACS community, but for those of us who have them, they've been well earned!

So if you came to your RTU and said "yeah I like to call myself..... long pause FNG" what would happen would everyone shit their pants because no one has ever been that humble???

Even if you were combat ready and mission qualified, I would still think that you might have a chance of being re-named. What about that f-16 instructor who shit his pants in flight, or anyone that shits their pants in flight?

Unless they do it differently than active duty (I don't see why they would) your unit won't give you a call sign prior to UPT. You don't get your call sign until you complete your mission qualification in the jet.

Guest AirGuardian

Posted by Toro: "Unless they do it differently than active duty (I don't see why they would)"

He's right, mission qual is a good place to start. Even if you "did" get a callsign before you left for UPT, I'm sure you'll have several chances down the line to slap yourself with one. Wouldn't worry about it too much, they'll(the unit)take care of you! Hmmm.

Probably one of the few things concurrent with the Active folks(besides most regs)... We still have hardships with doing some of the jobs active missions require as far as going about the task! As most Guard old heads indicate: "Just tell us what you want us to do, leave it to us to figure out how to do it!) Comes from the rainbowing(piece-mealing parts from other Guard units) several units in the system to get the job done... even if activated in some cases! This is not intended to buck the system, facts indicate that most trends on how to do business end up going back to the original way or another change is made. We just don't enjoy being bounced around like the most of you don't - As said on one of the medical topics - "Where there is a will, there is a waiver!(nice quote, concurring with F16PilotMD) = Guard waiver...

[ 09 February 2004, 09:14: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

Don't know about the AF, but on the Boat, the more you hated a call sign, the more it stuck.

Some of my Favs (names changed where possible to protect me):

LT Hugh "Jorgan" W.

LCDR G. "HYFI" Harris ("Harris You F___in' Idiot)

LT R. "Sock" Cruz (or should I say LT Randy Cruz "Sock")

[ 11 February 2004, 15:36: Message edited by: BBC ]

In a fighter squadron your callsign *is* your name. When someone calls the Ops Desk and says "can I speak to Bob", everyone asks themselves, "who the f*ck is Bob?!".

I generally use the 2-ranks rule for callsign use. If a guy is 2-ranks above me, I'll use "sir" at least a couple times during the conversation. The Ops Officer and the Squadron Commander are always "sir" in my book. Other than that, everyone is callsigns (and *definitely* all CGOs address each other that way).

Sometimes the Mayor will designate a friday as "first-name friday." This is when everyone must address each other by first names only. The problem is that everyone is wearing their callsign nametags. There's also a no "dude" or "sir" rule, otherwise you get fined for each offense.

Just more stupid pilot tricks.

Yep, use the 2 rank rule and you can't go wrong.

On a related topic, in fighter squadrons lieutenants don't salute captains (OR EACH OTHER!!). However, when I was a Lt, I'd salute captains in BDUs just to avoid the hassle if he had a stick up his ass.

Guest AirGuardian

What's the 2 rank rule? Gotta love the Guard!!! I use "Boss" and sir to the Wing King, but beyond that its a family first name service for the most part. That's not right you say, but we know when and where this applies to get the job done. We'll revert back to your 2 rank rule out on the road as we're doing business near the active folks so as to not create that 'uncomfortable' tension... When I hear "sir's" and extra stuff, I know someone is in trouble... oh maaan...

• 8 months later...
Guest Dirt Beater

In operational squadrons...are you referred to by your callsign or actual name more often? Is there any kind of rank gap where you wouldn't call a dude 2 or 3 ranks above you by their callsign, or is everyone fair game?

Hardly anybody in a fighter squadron refers to others by their first name. Captains and lieutenants call each other by call sign. Most captains will call majors by their call sign. O-5 and above is when you generally starting using the rank and tacking on 'sir'.

Heavy squadrons don't normally have callsigns (some of the older guys that flew something else might have them). Lt's and Capt's go by first names usually. With Maj's it depends and above that it's Ranks and Last names in the squadron.

Guest Raccoon

Just out of a curiosity, what if a pilot with a callsign "Ghost" from Fighter Squadron One transfers to Fighter Squadron Two that already has a pilot with a callsign "Ghost". What happens then?

And the second question, if an Air Force pilot transfers to the Navy can he keep his callsign or is he assigned a new one?

[ 18. October 2004, 00:03: Message edited by: Raccoon ]

Guest AWACker

I think you have the wrong idea about callsigns. At least "personal" ones. "Flying" callsigns are a little different, but personal callsigns aren't normally stuff like "Ghost", unless the dude is like, an Albino. In that case, he's probably "Casper" or something more like that.

Someone needs to learn this dude up. Anytime a 'Wacker guy can call you out....that's a scary thought I don't wanna finish.